PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova

Serendipitous
04-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Is she still injured? When is she coming back?

It seems like ages since she played a tournament....

I think she would definitely bring something to the extremely boring WTA Tour.

Is there already a thread on this?

marpiw
04-15-2009, 01:16 PM
The courts are very silent...

IS THE SHRIEKER COMING AGAIN?????????????

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let us all flee in horror....

imalil2gangsta4u
04-15-2009, 02:05 PM
shes saying that shes not able to play her best at the moment. i think she should still play though.

vandre
04-15-2009, 02:19 PM
i have a sneaking feeling her "shoulder" might keep her sidelined until wimbledon. when she was healthy she never really made that much headway on the slow red clay so i have a suspicion that she might sit out until the grass and hardcourt season rolls around.

suspicions aside, i hope she takes care of her shoulder this time around whenever she does come back.

T1000
04-15-2009, 05:09 PM
she'll be back by wimby

120mphBodyServe
04-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Funnily enough I miss her too...
Come on Masha, come back and give the Williams sisters the beatdown they deserve....
*hugs 4 Masha*

Fedexeon
04-15-2009, 06:32 PM
She's preparing for Roland Garros. I guess we will soon seeing her back in action, either in Rome or Madrid.

I doubt she can give the Williams sisters any fit. The only time she actually beat Serena was Wimbledon 2004 final.. other than that, she has been beaten by Venus in Wimbledon and Serena even thrashed her in Australian Open 2007 final.

charliefedererer
04-15-2009, 06:41 PM
I wonder if she is the classic overachiever. That is, a large part of her success has come from the extra training and practice she puts in. But then she's suffering an overuse syndrome injury.
I would like to see her back though.

obnoxious2
04-15-2009, 07:12 PM
It's not overuse syndrome. It's simply bad technique. Watch her swerving motion and her forehand at times looks like she is muscling the ball with her shoulder.

I really hope she recovers fully and fixes up her technique slightly to reduce the pressure on her shoulder. I hope she doesnt end up like Capriati.

charliefedererer
04-15-2009, 08:17 PM
It's not overuse syndrome. It's simply bad technique. Watch her swerving motion and her forehand at times looks like she is muscling the ball with her shoulder.

I really hope she recovers fully and fixes up her technique slightly to reduce the pressure on her shoulder. I hope she doesnt end up like Capriati.

Exactly.
I would have thought with all training and initially all the years at the Bolliteri Academy, she would have had perfect strokes, and even better footwork. But I think a lot of her success is from being willing to work harder, more than being a better intrinsic athlete, than some on the tour.

Josherer
04-15-2009, 08:19 PM
She's been putting it off since dubai... hopefully she comes back soon.

Mick
04-15-2009, 08:24 PM
wta lost sharapova but gained safina and azarenka.

split-step
04-15-2009, 08:42 PM
I doubt she can give the Williams sisters any fit. The only time she actually beat Serena was Wimbledon 2004 final.. other than that, she has been beaten by Venus in Wimbledon and Serena even thrashed her in Australian Open 2007 final.

Umm Sharapova also beat Serena at the year end championships in 2004.
It is not like the WS just beat up on Sharapova. THe only lopsided losses by Pova were AO 07 and Miami 07 and these were by Serena.
That same Miami, Sharapova beat Venus. Outside of grass, Sharapova will more often than not beat Venus.
With Serena, it is different. If her shoulder is healthy she can definitely challenge and beat Serena.
She took Serena to 3 sets on clay, and Serena is a much better clay court player than Sharapova.

tennis_hand
04-16-2009, 09:05 AM
i think she is close to finished.

vandre
04-16-2009, 10:18 AM

...which explains why she's had so many shoulder injuries!

good call!

Jonny S&V
04-16-2009, 10:32 AM
I wonder if she is the classic overachiever. That is, a large part of her success has come from the extra training and practice she puts in. But then she's suffering an overuse syndrome injury.
I would like to see her back though.

She admits it herself that she isn't a very good athlete, which is why she's blessed to have achieved what she's done already.

adidasman
04-16-2009, 10:46 AM

She's going to need to start eating ice cream by the gallon if she wants to end up like Capriati.. :)

vandre
04-16-2009, 12:06 PM
^^^^and sparking up a "j"! :wink: