PDA

View Full Version : John Newcombe Tennis Ranch

zenmaster
04-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Has any1 been to the John Newcombe Tennis Ranch? If you have, how was it?

evw
04-05-2004, 08:52 AM
I've also been looking into the Newcomb Camps. Sound like they could offer some serious tennis. I'm a 5.5 also looking at attending and would love some feedback if you go.

BertieWooster
04-06-2004, 07:48 PM
I've been to the Newcombe Tennis Ranch once from Wed to Sun. Wed, Thur and Fri morning was a lot tennis. I'm 4.0 and wasn't challenged by the guests too much but the pros jumped in and made things interesting.
When the weekend came, the guest number went from 10 to 100 (90% female). The weekend was some tennis but mostly a party.

Joe Average
04-07-2004, 09:30 PM
I haven't been to the Newcombe ranch, but I read an article in the latest "SmartMoney" magazine about tennis camp/resorts. Word is, don't expect to see Newcombe. He lives in Australia and only comes to the ranch for the fantasy camps.

The article also mentions that Nick Bollettieri can be "had" at his camp for a private lesson at $1,500 an hour. This is the untalented but earnest adult rate. If you're an extremely talented junior, it's considerably cheaper. The frightening thing is, I'm sure there are adults who would and do pay his fee.

evw
04-14-2004, 09:25 AM
The 90% female ratio sounds like enough reason for me to go!!! Although I might not get in much court time I would be sure to get a workout.

rogercox
04-21-2004, 05:34 AM
You can read reviews of those who've visited by going to http://travel.tennis-warehouse.com/twtravel/Newcombe.cfm. I wouldn't recommend it for someone as strong as 5.5--Hopman's or Bollettieri's are better if you're that strong because they can always arrange for a junior to beat up on you if there aren't other adults at your level.

matchpoints
05-17-2004, 11:58 PM
There aren't that many adult 5.5s in general anywhere you go. If find yourself in need of tougher tennis, you can jump into the Academy practice session, where you do the actual drilling that the top juniors do (with them of course). I'd skip the fitness part though :lol: unless you want to ROLL out of bed next morning. Do keep in mind that the tougher players DO get drilled tougher. Just let the pros know that you want it tougher or easier, and they'll accomodate your needs.

If you want more then 5 hours or tennis a day, the pros and other guests will usually hit with you after the drills/matches are done, or even play some singles or doubles with ya. Private lessons are available also at the end of the day. Most adults are worn out after the first day and looking to relax at the onsite pool, hot tub, or bar. Some choose to hang out at the balcony of their rooms and enjoy the hill country scenery.

The crowd ranges from 3.0 to 5.5. I would say majority are in the 3.5 to 4.5 level. Most of the time, the female ratio is indeed higher. I think this is due to the female leagues that like to come together as a group. There was a single group of around 40 females from Denver not too long along with 10 other guests. Only 4 males that weekend. Once in a while the male guests can also out number the females. The pros are usually all males, but sometimes there are female pros. Cute ones of course, but don't let the looks fool ya. They are top players and will make you run like a dog (especially if you pick on them, as i've learned). Sometimes you run into very interesting guests there like one of the recent Jeopardy winners Carl (he was at the bar, while he was on tv simultaneously, that was weird), Nolan Ryan's family (very nice people), etc.

The drills cover every shot except drop shot. The frame shot isn't covered either, which you would not want to be good at unless you want to be like me and hit frame shots on the line. There are matches against other guests in the afternoon. Some pros tend to play in as well.

The staff is excellent, and that can make all the difference. Everyone there loves the game of Tennis. All of the pros that I've met used to compete and some still do. A few are about to go on the tour or off to College Tennis. Everyone is very friendly and enjoy's being there. There's a good variety in personality and ages as well.

Besides a bunch of tennis, there is definitely socializing going on (more so on the weekends). The bigger the crowd, the bigger the party. There is local site seeing as well. This includes rivers (toobing, rafting), lakes (water sports), Schlitterbahn (largest waterpark in Texas), nice restaurants, outlet malls, antique shops, etc.

If you're coming solo, then I would suggest the weekend. If you're coming with a spouse or want a smaller crowd and more site seeing, then I suggest the weekdays. It's good for a family to come also when there are kids camps. That way, the kids are off to train with other kids and the adults are on their own side of the ranch. The pros always hang out with the guests during all meals and then some.

Nowadays, John Newcombe comes about twice a year to do the legends week program where him and some other 'legends' be the pros.

I haven't been to other places, so there might be better ones to go to. I can say one thing though, everyone leaves very satisfied. The repeat number is quite high.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask here or you can e-mail me: matchpoints@yahoo. Info is also available at http://www.newktennis.com

By the way, I don't want to sound like I'm endorsing Newk's, especially since I don't get anything out of it. Just figured I'd chime in, since I happen to know that place very very well :mrgreen:

Cheers.

matchpoints
05-18-2004, 12:36 AM
I've been to the Newcombe Tennis Ranch once from Wed to Sun. Wed, Thur and Fri morning was a lot tennis. I'm 4.0 and wasn't challenged by the guests too much but the pros jumped in and made things interesting.
When the weekend came, the guest number went from 10 to 100 (90% female). The weekend was some tennis but mostly a party.

There is actually more tennis on Saturday AND more partying. That's the day to be there. Just be sure to come with an extra tank of energy.

matchpoints
05-18-2004, 01:02 AM
You can read reviews of those who've visited by going to http://travel.tennis-warehouse.com/twtravel/Newcombe.cfm. I wouldn't recommend it for someone as strong as 5.5--Hopman's or Bollettieri's are better if you're that strong because they can always arrange for a junior to beat up on you if there aren't other adults at your level.

I just read the reviews, and they're quite accurate. The teaching is definitely interesting. One pro might break down every mechanical step, while another might give you a general idea to focus on. One might give you tons of motivation and pick on little quirks in your game. You really get a little of everything and can get more of one thing if you prefer.

zenmaster
06-05-2004, 03:16 PM
alright i went to Newcombe and the tennis isn't too good, the opponents aren't so hard, the pros aren't all that good, all in all i didn't really improve. Maybe I didn't get the rite pros but the ones I had didn't do as much instruction as I would have liked.

brtennis
06-14-2004, 04:48 AM
zenmaster,

Just curious, what kind of camp did you go, weekend or weekday?

matchpoints
08-08-2004, 09:46 PM
zenmaster, who were your pros?

TenS_Ace
08-30-2004, 09:41 AM
Well I attended the last weekend of April...OUT-FREEKING-STANDING!!! would be an understatement!!...They try to work yer "ash" off...instruction for a group setting is AWESOME!! The Pro's are so friendly and remember everybodies name!!...Just an awesome experience!! I'll BE BACK!!....http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/images/smilies/buttrock.gif

goober
09-01-2004, 05:40 AM
Does the Tennis camp take day trippers who want to stay outside? I have family in Northern San Antonio so I reckon I could drive there in the morning and spend time with the family at night.

matchpoints
09-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Yes they do. You can come and go as you wish.

Teek
06-08-2005, 11:41 AM
I have been to the camp once to drop my neice off. Looks pretty nice. Does anyone know what the general/average cost is for a child to stay at the camp, and how long a stay it is?

Marius_Hancu
06-08-2005, 01:48 PM
wrong posting .... sorry ...