PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Campus Championships

jamauss
04-15-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm stringing racquets right now (right now, actually, just taking a break to post on here, heh :lol:) for the Campus Championships since they're being hosted this year at the complex I string at.

http://www.tennisoncampus.com/Events/USTANationalCampusChampionship.htm

anyone ever played in or attended this event? Looks like there should be some good tennis I can watch over the next few days, assuming I can break away from stringing - we got in about 40 racquets today. :eek:

Billie Jean King is supposed to stop by on Saturday, I'm going to try and take some pics while she's here.

jamauss
04-16-2009, 08:46 PM
anyone?

*crickets chirping*

saram
04-16-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm here. Please keep us posted. See anyone that will knock our socks off later in life?

randomname
04-17-2009, 09:30 AM
let me know if billie jean king shows up drunk again like last year

jamauss
04-19-2009, 02:58 PM
drunk? wow, hahaha. No, she was sober this year. I think she came here from Roddick's wedding or something, so I'm surprised she wasn't hammered. :lol:

This tournament was brutal in terms of stringing. I bet over 100 sticks came in over 3 days.:|

randomname
04-19-2009, 06:08 PM
how were the finals? I hear duke had one guy who was absolutely insane, did he just carry the whole team or were they all pulling their weight?

jamauss
04-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Duke had one guy who was about 6'6" or maybe taller - but he wasn't *that* good. I only watched about 3 games of the final before I split. With all the racquet stringing I had to do, I wasn't hanging around any longer than I needed to - especially not for just co-ed non-varsity WTT format tennis.

jbetti
05-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Sorry I'm finding this thread late. I played at the Campus Championships, last year, for Syracuse.

College club tennis has really increased in popularity over the last few years. I'd say most the teams at nationals have a 5.0 player or several 4.5's, and you're not going to see anyone below about a 4.0. A lot of teams have a former varsity player somewhere on the roster and a couple kids who could probably be walk-ons at mid-level D-1 schools if they wanted.

You're not going to see future tour players or anything. Last year, Baylor's top girl had been a top 20 NCAA player the year before (she was now a grad student playing club tennis), and she dominated.

As a player, it was a really fun event to compete in. For players like me who could have played D-2 or D-3 tennis somewhere but decided to go to a big school for academic purposes... it was great to be part of a really big tennis event and play teams from across the country. Great experience.