PDA

View Full Version : topspin/kick serves

zenmaster
04-04-2004, 02:32 PM
My teaching pro says that the racquet shouldn't be hitting the ball but brushing up on the ball in a kick serve. In a brushing motion should i pronate my arm right after the brush? This feels a bit awkward and it doesn't feel like im brushing up at all.

Japanese Maple
04-04-2004, 06:54 PM
Check out the thread "pronation only for the flat serve"-everything
you need to know on hitting the kick serve with pronation is here.

Bungalo Bill
04-04-2004, 07:31 PM
Like Japanese said there is a lot of information on this. However, I am from the camp that forcing pronation should be used sparingly and should be developed.

Pronation will happen naturally if you let it. Working on a good serving motion and hitting the ball with an extended arm is critical to all serving motions. Where you toss and how you brush the ball will produce the desired spin.

Once you learn to brush the ball and learn what it feels like, you can begin "adding" a little to the ball. However, by that time you will know where your toss is should be, your muscles and movement will have had time to develop.

My serve has an outstanding twist, slice, or topspin. I am not the one that developed it. It was my coach that believed in sound fundamentals for the serve and taught us how to spin the ball first before adding anything to the ball including power.

My success for having a good serve goes to him, otherwise I would have a mediocre serve at best. I have never consciously practiced pronation. I have practiced making sure I hit the ball on the proper spot with the racquet head going in the right direction to produce a certain spin.

When you let the serve happen naturally you will produce and develop a good serve. I think you should take heed to your coaches advice and allow him to develop that serve for you.