PDA

View Full Version : Oh know those Russians are betting again...

lpicken
04-16-2009, 10:49 AM
This is painfully obvious that something is going here. This has got to be stopped and these should be baneed from the sport even though I am a huge Igor Andreev fan. Doping killed cycling, my other favorite sport, and betting will kill tennis too. This hurts everyone.

According to Tennis.com

Tuesday's first-round match between Igor Andreev and Martin Vassallo Arguello at the Monte Carlo Masters has raised suspicions of potential match-fixing because of unusual betting patterns, writes Charles Happell of crikey.com.au. Andreev, the higher-ranked player of the two, won the opening set, but a substantial about of money was wagered on Vassallo Arguello nonetheless. These betting patterns continued throughout the match, which Vassallo Arguello eventually won in three sets -- after Andreev had failed to convert on three match points. Roughly $7 million was bet on this match, more than 10 times the amount for a match of this variety.

Vassallo Arguello was also involved in a 2007 match against Nikolay Davydenko that the ATP investigated for match-fixing, due to similar circumstances.

Patrick_St
04-16-2009, 11:01 AM
This is something that needs to be looked very deeply into by ATP. This is simply not acceptable, and they need to implement some sort of strict punishing procedure for any player they suspect of intentionally losing a match to receive gambling profits.

tacou
04-16-2009, 11:01 AM
hmm arguello seems to win these matches... so maybe HE is the fixer, knowing he can beat any player at any given time but saving it for these betting scams!

really, it does seem suspicious but if someone was fixing this match wouldn't they make it a little less obvious? I mean, TEN TIMES the amount and so recently after the nikolay incident. seems foolish.

Pirao
04-16-2009, 11:03 AM
This looks very suspicious indeed.

Patrick_St
04-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Perhaps Arguello is deeply involved in the fixing system, but it isn't that he is really good. He probably makes a deal with a Russian player and some wealthy Russian men asking the higher ranked Russian player to purposely let Arguello win and then they can split the earnings they make from betting millions of dollars on Arguello, who gets a better payoff for being a much lower ranked player.

vandre
04-16-2009, 11:10 AM
i see two possibilities here:

1. there is something fishy going on.
2. Vassallo Arguello should be the comeback player of the year! :twisted:

jmverdugo
04-16-2009, 11:12 AM
maybe arguello works in conjunction with the russina mafia which threated (sp?) Andreev'sor family so he had to lose or maybe ... is just a coincidence?

Patrick_St
04-16-2009, 11:22 AM
The Russian mafia isn't really that prevelant anymore. I don't think your former suggestion is a considerable possibility.

edberg505
04-16-2009, 11:32 AM
hmm arguello seems to win these matches... so maybe HE is the fixer, knowing he can beat any player at any given time but saving it for these betting scams!

really, it does seem suspicious but if someone was fixing this match wouldn't they make it a little less obvious? I mean, TEN TIMES the amount and so recently after the nikolay incident. seems foolish.

LMAO, this actually made me laugh out loud.

markmurray
04-16-2009, 11:42 AM
I remember the Davydenko match from 2007. I believe he was #3 or #4 seed at the tournament and a set up. I was browsing Betfair at the time and noticed that the other guy (Arguello, I assume, unless Davydenko was involved in >1 match fixing allegation) was by far the favourite and people were offering odds better than 3/1 on Davydenko to win. What happens is you get those that are in the know offering shorter and shorter odds so that they can get their bet matched. On the other hand, you get the unassuming punter who sees that the #4 seed is a set up and snaps up the 3/1 on offer. If enough people catch wind so that this undercutting odds happens, then the game is pretty much up. I'd never seen anything like it before but even I could tell something was awry. If I noticed, others surely did, and people are greedy. Everybody wants the free money but nobody gets it in the end because their collective eagerness arouses suspicion.

I didn't see this incident unfold but I assume it is something similar.

Personally, I find it very difficult to believe that the only fixed matches are the ones that become noticed. It's very sad but when there's so much money to be had, there's bound to be corruption.

CyBorg
04-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Arguello is Russian now?

tacou
04-16-2009, 12:23 PM
I remember the Davydenko match from 2007. I believe he was #3 or #4 seed at the tournament and a set up. I was browsing Betfair at the time and noticed that the other guy (Arguello, I assume, unless Davydenko was involved in >1 match fixing allegation) was by far the favourite and people were offering odds better than 3/1 on Davydenko to win. What happens is you get those that are in the know offering shorter and shorter odds so that they can get their bet matched. On the other hand, you get the unassuming punter who sees that the #4 seed is a set up and snaps up the 3/1 on offer. If enough people catch wind so that this undercutting odds happens, then the game is pretty much up. I'd never seen anything like it before but even I could tell something was awry. If I noticed, others surely did, and people are greedy. Everybody wants the free money but nobody gets it in the end because their collective eagerness arouses suspicion.

I didn't see this incident unfold but I assume it is something similar.

Personally, I find it very difficult to believe that the only fixed matches are the ones that become noticed. It's very sad but when there's so much money to be had, there's bound to be corruption.

all very true, it's just a stupid way to go about it.

what I don't get is why people like Nikolay and Andreev would be involved, both for different reasons.

For Nikolay I never thought he was involved because he was world number 4 and at the time a very good player making slam semis consistently. what would a betting scheme with some no name player in a no name tournament do for him?

With Igor it's a bit different. it's very possible he'd like the millions (who wouldn't) but he seems a very dedicated player who wants to win (took fed to 5 at USO when he is mostly a clay courter). What would persuade him to throw a match in the first round of one of the biggest clay tourneys?

Of course, this is the optimistic look at it. I'd just hate to see such quality players throwing matches for money. gross.

jrachiever
04-16-2009, 12:38 PM
This is something that needs to be looked very deeply into by ATP. This is simply not acceptable, and they need to implement some sort of strict punishing procedure for any player they suspect of intentionally losing a match to receive gambling profits.

So suspicion is all that is required to hand out strict punishment? Good idea.

If a player is actually found to be fixing matches I'm quite sure he'd be banned for life, and they've already handed out ridiculously harsh penalties to some lower level players for betting pocket money (like $10-20) on matches online, even when there was obviously no fixing and they were losing gamblers. Gambling is very good for the sport, obviously match fixing is not, but the ATP is aware and trying to set strict precedents and the players know they're being watched.

norcal
04-16-2009, 01:11 PM
The cheap betting house just make this stuff up because they don't want to pay off the bets!

/TTostricheswiththeirheadstuckinthesandcrowd

lpicken
04-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Good point!!! I guess I never thought of that but it is extremely fishy.