PDA

View Full Version : Help me Decide a good Racquet

Indiantwist
03-11-2005, 08:37 AM
Iam a 3.5 player started playing tennis 2 yr ago. I have a decent forehand. still learning Spins. My back hand is as good as ZERo except for the Slice. I got a decent and consistent flat serve. I currently use a Wilson Hyper Hammer lite (110, 9.2 Oz, 1 or 4 PT Head Heavy). The racquet is good whenever i play some1 who doesnt have lot of weight/pace in strokes. I always seem to hit long when i go for power (my lack of proper technique is a big contributor) from forehand.If i use less power i have a decent control.I am using the so called neanderthal continental grip.

While there is a lot i need to learn in terms of technique, i also want to go for a proper racquet as what iam using now is more recreational.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

sunset
03-11-2005, 01:03 PM
I can not think of a racket for you (my shortcoming), but you may want to close the face of your racket a little on your forehands by changing your grip somewhat. Plus make sure that your racket head travels from low to high on your swing. Both of these actions may help to keep your power shots in court. ;)

Indiantwist
03-11-2005, 05:06 PM
I agree that there is a big change needed in my technique.

Is Prince O3 Red a better racquet?.

When using a Semi-Western grip does wrist have any role to play?
I mean does the wrist turn clockwise or anti clockwise to make the racquet face vertical at the time of contact?

Leon
03-11-2005, 08:50 PM
There are too many parameters. But to start, you can decide on the head size. Will or do you hit one or two handed backhand top spin? If one handed then you might be better with 100" or less, while two handed you can play with any size. Weight, you want to have it heavy as possible racquet (as long as u can swing it), this will help you to return the heavy ball - it's stable. And the last thing I would say is power, less power, you will have to swing harder, easier to take a full swing without worrying about the ball going out of court, but it will also be more demanding, because you will have constantly to "work harder", but in the long run your technique will improve, so u might feel frustrated at first (look at http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=44171) Everything else is about feel. You should demo as many as you can and decide what feels right. And lessons is always the best way to get a better tennis :)

P.S: I would recomend to take at least evaluation lesson before you settle on the racquet, since pro can correct a few things, that will change the overall feel of the game, diff racquet might feel better.

GermaniumGenie
03-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Get a racquet with an open string pattern and a head around 100-110. Also try getting your current racquet strung at a higher tension. Most importantly, practice and work on your strokes.

tennis ace
03-12-2005, 10:04 PM
i played with a LM instinct at your leval. it has a good mix of control and power

Vince
03-12-2005, 11:54 PM
i reccommend the LM Radical MP. It'll help you with your strokes but is also forgiving on mis hits. It's a very comfortable racquet that should suit your needs. IMO, playing with closed string patterned racquets forces you to develop proper technique to get the spin (i dont really believe in the string pattern being the main factor here).

In addition, the new price is only $129.95

Indiantwist
03-13-2005, 05:26 AM
Thanks a lot for your replies. I totally agree that technique needs to be practised a lot and racquet is not at fault as i think it is.

I used to use a one handed backhand (courtesy Federer, Sampras,Gaudio).
Its safe to say I DONT have a backhand. It is highy unreliable and i can never predict it unless i hit at snails pace.Yesterday i tried for the first time DOuble handed BH and it felt so natural and comfortable. I still need to practice a lot on this to make it reliable.

So a racquet with 100-110 inches and weight around 10-11 Oz?.
What balance is ideal? HH or HL?

Leon
03-13-2005, 08:28 AM
One can never go wrong with HL. I personally don't believe in HH, do a search here and you will see a lot of negative info about it.

Personally I would try to get into 11.5-12.5oz or more, might feel a bit heavy at first, but you should get used to it soon, if you don't have any physical limitation (injuries and so on).

100-110" is a good choice, still a lot of control but large sweet spot. I personally feel a big diff as one increase or decrease head size every 3-5". 110" should be more powerful then 100". But 100" should be more controllable. I would try to get 100", since I think it would be the best compromise between power and control ( I personally prefer 95-100" range), but again try it first, 100" racquet might feel less controllable then 110".

I wouldn't go on more then 100" if you deside to keep one handed backhand. By the way it took me about 3-4 month of practice and lessons to hit a good backhand, but at the end I do appreciate it. :p