PDA

View Full Version : The most intellectual tennis player

maximo
04-17-2009, 03:24 AM
Who in your opinion is the smartest of the bunch. :)

I think Federer, due to the fact he can speak 4 languages.

Josherer
04-17-2009, 03:43 AM
^^^

Yeah you're probably right.

Or Blake. He managed to get a Harvad Law Degree despite his back problems and fathers death.

dr325i
04-17-2009, 03:54 AM

Novak speaks FLUENTLY 4 languages, but I would not consider him the smartest. Plus, Switzerland common languages are Swiss-Deutsch (German-like), Italian and French, so not really overly impressive that he speaks 4 (English) languages. I bet you Wawrinka speaks at least 3 or 4...

Sir Andrew of Roddick
04-17-2009, 04:03 AM
Mario Ancic

Nadalfan89
04-17-2009, 04:18 AM
Ancic has a law degree and gives speeches at Harvard. Blake attended Harvard, but from what I heard he got in because his brother went too.

istina
04-17-2009, 04:33 AM

Mmm, probably not the best gauge since many of the players speak that many languages.

I mean, if you're going to count Swiss-German, Rafa speaks four languages, too. Spanish, Catalan, Mallorquin, and English. Yeah, his English isn't great, but he can communicate in it.

maximo
04-17-2009, 04:38 AM
Mmm, probably not the best gauge since many of the players speak that many languages.

I mean, if you're going to count Swiss-German, Rafa speaks four languages, too. Spanish, Catalan, Mallorquin, and English. Yeah, his English isn't great, but he can communicate in it.

Im pretty sure not that many speak 4 languages.:|

rolandg
04-17-2009, 04:40 AM
Im pretty sure not that many speak 4 languages.:|

There will be loads that do

maximo
04-17-2009, 04:46 AM
At such young ages, i wonder how pro's learn 4 languages in total. How do they find the spare time?

pound cat
04-17-2009, 04:52 AM
At such young ages, i wonder how pro's learn 4 languages in total. How do they find the spare time?

Have you ever been to Europe? Everyone on the continent speaks multiple languages. The coutries are close together and people travel back and forth so it's easy to become fluent in several languages.

pound cat
04-17-2009, 04:57 AM
Being an intellectual has nothing to do with how many degrees you have.

given to study, reflection, and speculation b: engaged in activity requiring the creative use of the intellect <intellectual playwrights

Here's the only ATP player who fits this description..Tipsarevic

His love of classic literature is often mentioned by commentators and the press as something unusual for a high-level athlete. He has a quotation, tattooed in Japanese, from Dostoyevsky ("Beauty will save the world", from The Idiot) on his left arm. He also has a Japanese tattoo on his right arm, which represent the first two letters of the names of his father, his mother, himself and his brother, in Katakana. According to US Open announcers Ted Robinson and John McEnroe, he also has a tattoo of a quote from Arthur Schopenhauer on his back.

maximo
04-17-2009, 04:58 AM
Have you ever been to Europe? Everyone on the continent speaks multiple languages. The coutries are close together and people travel back and forth so it's easy to become fluent in several languages.

I live in Europe, and most people i know speak a maximum of 2 languages. But to speak at least 3 language at the age of 21 is quite impressive, no?

Ljubicic for number1
04-17-2009, 05:02 AM
Must be Stepanek, he has something going on.

rafan
04-17-2009, 05:05 AM
As far as tactics for the game is concerned - Rafa is miles ahead intelectually. You only had to watch him play today. Many people a have the opportunity to speak several languages due to the country they live in. I met people in Africa who told me they had little eduacation but could communicate well in english, german and french- which made me feel very inadequate

thejoe
04-17-2009, 05:06 AM
As far as tactics for the game is concerned - Rafa is miles ahead intelectually. You only had to watch him play today. Many people a have the opportunity to speak several languages due to the country they live in. I met people in Africa who told me they had little eduacation but could communicate well in english, german and french- which made me feel very inadequate

Hit to the backhand? It is no surprise that he struggles more against players with good backhands.

rafan
04-17-2009, 05:10 AM
Hit to the backhand? It is no surprise that he struggles more against players with good backhands.

Yes but unlike the others he THINKS of ways to remedy the situation

T1000
04-17-2009, 05:18 AM
blake or ancic

vtmike
04-17-2009, 05:25 AM
Yes but unlike the others he THINKS of ways to remedy the situation

Not really...He overpowers them and bullies them around the court into an unforced error submission...He is super athletic but I'm not sure I would call that intelligent tennis

vtmike
04-17-2009, 05:28 AM

What?? You think a tennis player is intelligent because he can speak multiple languages :confused:

Fed is an intelligent player, but its not because he can speak 4 languages!

jamesblakefan#1
04-17-2009, 05:28 AM
Ancic has a law degree and gives speeches at Harvard. Blake attended Harvard, but from what I heard he got in because his brother went too.

blake got in b/c he's pretty smart,and harvard doesn't give sports scholarships. but he doesn't have a law degree, he only went for 2 years before turning pro.

rafan
04-17-2009, 05:38 AM
Not really...He overpowers them and bullies them around the court into an unforced error submission...He is super athletic but I'm not sure I would call that intelligent tennis

Err.. you mean he bullied people like: Tsonga, Karlovic, and all those others who weigh more than him and are taller than him - you cannot be serious!

Underhand
04-17-2009, 05:46 AM
Must be Roddick.

veroniquem
04-17-2009, 05:46 AM
On the court, Rafa is much more intelligent than Fed, I agree. Fed is more of an instinctive player. Nadal strategizes very well especially on clay. It's a pleasure to see him construct every point. Nadal is also excellent at changing game plans during a match if something is not working. When a strategy is not working for Fed, he doesn't seem to have the flexibility to adjust.

veroniquem
04-17-2009, 05:50 AM
You mean he's a ball basher? Absolutely wrong. You should have watched his match this morning, Nadal is a tactician, he has power sure but he also outwits his opponents and he's very good at it.
Your view of his game is both stereotyped and erroneous.

vtmike
04-17-2009, 05:55 AM
You mean he's a ball basher? Absolutely wrong. You should have watched his match this morning, Nadal is a tactician, he has power sure but he also outwits his opponents and he's very good at it.
Your view of his game is both stereotyped and erroneous.

I'm not saying he has zero intelligence and just bashes the ball...Ofcourse he uses tactics which is why he is num 1...But as compared to some other players he isn't that great a tactician oncourt...i.e. he relies more on the physical aspect of his game than using tactics...

You're the one to talk about having a steriotypical and erroneous point of view :roll:

vtmike
04-17-2009, 05:58 AM
Err.. you mean he bullied people like: Tsonga, Karlovic, and all those others who weigh more than him and are taller than him - you cannot be serious!

By bullying I don't mean he overpowers them...maybe bullying was the wrong word...but lets just say he becomes too defensive...esp under pressure

Not saying its the wrong thing to do...I mean it has got him 6 GS so far so obviously its working for him...

rolandg
04-17-2009, 06:00 AM
I live in Europe, and most people i know speak a maximum of 2 languages. But to speak at least 3 language at the age of 21 is quite impressive, no?

Many of the European languages are so similar though. If you can speak Spanish, it is not too much of a stretch to understand Italian, Portuguese and even French. English is actually quite similar to German. The Scandinavian languages are very similar. The Balkan languages tend to be similar, same with a lot of the Baltic languages.

pound cat
04-17-2009, 06:01 AM
This thread has nothing to do with intellectualism which and has nothing to do with how many languages you speak or how many degress you have or how good your court sense is.

Intelligent and intellectual are not the same thing and most of these posts have nothing to do with being an intelellectual.

jaggy
04-17-2009, 06:02 AM
Must be Roddick.

Roddick can cipher the 4 times table

veroniquem
04-17-2009, 06:03 AM
I'm not saying he has zero intelligence and just bashes the ball...Ofcourse he uses tactics which is why he is num 1...But as compared to some other players he isn't that great a tactician oncourt...i.e. he relies more on the physical aspect of his game than using tactics...

You're the one to talk about having a steriotypical and erroneous point of view :roll:
Yes, I'm the one. I don't see anything stereotyped in my view. Nadal does panic on hard court at times but he's the best thinker out there on both clay and grass by a big margin.

vtmike
04-17-2009, 06:06 AM
Yes, I'm the one. I don't see anything stereotyped in my view. Nadal does panic on hard court at times but he's the best thinker out there on both clay and grass by a big margin.

Ok then I guess we will just have to learn to agree to disagree...do you agree? :)

juju
04-17-2009, 06:07 AM
Tipsarevic. His reading list consists of russian literature and philosophy.You gotta love this guy!

fps
04-17-2009, 06:25 AM
Tipsarevic. His reading list consists of russian literature and philosophy.You gotta love this guy!

reading a dostoyevsky novel and some philosophy makes you intellectual? does nobody read for pleasure any more these days, so that reading something a little beyond the norm makes you an intellectual?!

he seems like a cool guy, but i'd love to know what he actually thinks about "beauty will save the world". are we talking about the best on-court thinker here, or someone who's got a few degrees and had a few books published?

nhat8121
04-17-2009, 06:33 AM
r we talking on court or off court?

PERL
04-17-2009, 06:33 AM
This thread has nothing to do with intellectualism which and has nothing to do with how many languages you speak or how many degress you have or how good your court sense is.

Intelligent and intellectual are not the same thing and most of these posts have nothing to do with being an intelellectual.

I hear you. The thread is about intellectualism and bringing up Rafael Nadal into this conversation just makes me laugh.
Most players will have to focus on their tennis career, playing tennis at this level is almost a contradiction with being an intellectual, at least a full time one. Intellectuals make a living from their intellect. Id say Wojtek Fibak could fit the description, there are better examples maybe among past generations when tennis was not a full time job.

deltox
04-17-2009, 06:40 AM
from an unbiased view, i see nothing brilliant about Rafas point production. Hes a hustler, a worker and a physical specimen, but hes not an Einstein on the court. His strategy is to simply outlast, which with his body conditioning is gonna be hard to overcome. Rafa fans dont get upset, im only speaking the truth. You cant really think hes the smarter player, without bias, really?

when it comes to being intelligent

several names come to mind

MURRAY would be the first person i think of and im no Murray fan at all. He lacks in so many departments on the physical side, his strokes are nothing ground breaking but he constructs points very very well.

BLAKE of course for having a 1250+ SAT and grades of nothing below a 94 at harvard law.

Davydenko can be considered, not becuase he constructs points but applies great deals of trickery in his game at all times. Attack when they think your weak type thing.

deltox
04-17-2009, 06:44 AM

thinker?? he is one who doesnt give up, not one who strategizes his way to victory.

explain to me how one can be a better thinker on one surface but not another. your reference stands good ground if your talking about clay court knowledge but not overall tennis intellect.

a great thinker, isnt hampered by surface. as for the lack of panic, thats what got him the title mental toughness, not tennis' greatest thinker.

deltox
04-17-2009, 06:45 AM

weight has nothing to do with athletic conditioning., yes the smaller guy CAN and will many times bully the larger player.
afterall, its not WWE Wrestling. Rafas fanbois are running wild in this thread.

Fed bullies Roddick every match amirite?

Fuintur
04-17-2009, 06:49 AM

Here in Spain we don't really speak many languages, you know. Spanish as mothertongue and then maybe (just maybe) english (not better than Nadal) to be able to buy food when abroad :D (thats a little hype, but we spanish people began to talk hype millions of years ago), and that's just for younger people who ought to learn some foreing language at High School. Most people here are able to manage just speaking spanish.

I guess what you said is strictly true just in some coutries, as to say Switzerland ("transitional country"), Germany (heavy problems with the rest of the world back in the 40s made them not very chauvinistic people), and most of eastern Europe. Not France, not Italy, neither UK. Either way, when you speak a romance language, it is easier to learn others. For spanish people, being able to communicate in italian, takes no more than a month. For people speaking catalan, french is easy as cake too.

veroniquem
04-17-2009, 06:51 AM
thinker?? he is one who doesnt give up, not one who strategizes his way to victory.

explain to me how one can be a better thinker on one surface but not another. your reference stands good ground if your talking about clay court knowledge but not overall tennis intellect.

a great thinker, isnt hampered by surface. as for the lack of panic, thats what got him the title mental toughness, not tennis' greatest thinker.
You're wrong, the surface makes a difference. Clay slows down the rallies, which is why you have more time to think about where to put the ball on the court. Nadal is a master at constructing points, a ball basher like Blake or even Roddick will not succeed on clay.

veroniquem
04-17-2009, 06:54 AM
No, its actually very logical, your just too ignorant to comprehend.
Actually it's not a very convincing argument. Switzerland has 4 official languages (German, French, Italian and Romansh), so everybody there is used to speaking several languages, it's no big deal, pretty normal.

Gorecki
04-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Nadal is appointed to win a NObel in Physics.. or was that Nadal Freak...? one of them is... wich one came up with the variable mass of a traveling object theory!...

deltox
04-17-2009, 06:57 AM
You're wrong, the surface makes a difference. Clay slows down the rallies, which is why you have more time to think about where to put the ball on the court. Nadal is a master at constructing points, a ball basher like Blake or even Roddick will not succeed on clay.

thats only because of their footwork, not their brains..

come on your smarter than this. rafa is not an einstein, please dont pursue this argument

maximo
04-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Actually it's not a very convincing argument. Switzerland has 4 official languages (German, French, Italian and Romansh), so everybody there is used to speaking several languages, it's no big deal, pretty normal.

Not really, it depends where you are based in Switzerland, each part of the country speak the language from the country they are close to. West is french, south is italian and so on.

veroniquem
04-17-2009, 07:01 AM
thats only because of their footwork, not their brains..

come on your smarter than this. rafa is not an einstein, please dont pursue this argument
Of course he's not Einstein, no tennis player is but Rafa uses his brain as much as his footwork to construct points. We can agree to disagree if you want, no point in repeating the same posts over and over again.

rafan
04-17-2009, 07:01 AM
The dictionary: Intellect: a power of thinking and reasoning. I would say a great many top sportsman would be in this catergory. Nadal has often said it is not his body that tires so much as his brain during strenuous matches

veroniquem
04-17-2009, 07:02 AM
Not really, it depends where you are based in Switzerland, each part of the country speak the language from the country they are close to. West is french, south is italian and so on.
Sure but they're more exposed to languages than others. Almost all Swiss speak several regardless of where they're based.

maximo
04-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Sure but they're more exposed to languages than others. Almost all Swiss speak several regardless of where they're based.

Have you ever been to Switzerland?

Last time I went to the west (french part) and they spoke french and swiss-german, not Italian and German aswell. Perhaps you think its easy to speak 4 languages. :confused:

I stick with my point, you must be intellectual to speak several languages fluently.

Cesc Fabregas
04-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Nadal/Murray are the smartest players on court just because Federer speaks various different languages doesn't make him an intelligent tennis player.

deltox
04-17-2009, 07:14 AM
tennis pl@net ranks top players in different categories

Here are the No. 1 tennis players in different categories:

Smartest: James Blake (went to freaking Harvard. Any questions?)

Handsome: Roddick?

Beautiful: Anna Chakvetadze.

Strongest: Safin.

Talented: Federer.

Muscular: Nadal.

Popular: Federer.

Well-dressed: Roddick.

Worst-dressed: Justine.

Need a face transplant: Stepanek.

Broadest forehead: Hingis.

Manly: Safin.

Hated: Sharapova.

High tennis IQ: Federer and Djokovic.

Hardest worker: Davydenko.

Passionate: Hewitt and Nadal.

Angry young man: Safin.

Most likely to succeed: Djokovic.

http://************.wordpress.com/category/most-blank-tennis-player/

deltox
04-17-2009, 07:16 AM

Last time I went to the west (french part) and they spoke french and swiss-german, not Italian and German aswell. Perhaps you think its easy to speak 4 languages. :confused:

I stick with my point, you must be intellectual to speak several languages fluently.

the swiss are known for their fluency of many languages purely because of their world banking.

Gorecki
04-17-2009, 07:18 AM
the swiss are known for their fluency of many languages purely because of their world banking.

and cheese....

deltox
04-17-2009, 07:19 AM
and cheese....

mmm, cheese,, afk a minute im hungry now

rafan
04-17-2009, 07:20 AM

I would second that!! Where money is concerned it is not a question of being intellectual as just plain shrewd

maximo
04-17-2009, 07:25 AM
[QUOTE=Fuintur;3327625]Here in Spain we don't really speak many languages, you know. Spanish as mothertongue and then maybe (just maybe) english.QUOTE]

This is very true, i went to Spain last year and i can't speak Spanish at all, i really did pay for this...

In the UK, as we speak English, we don't really feel the need to learn other languages just like you stated.

Gorecki
04-17-2009, 07:25 AM
mmm, cheese,, afk a minute im hungry now

and my god do they make good cheese...

ps: pay no attention to me... these threads are so interesting i feel like helping the non-sense!:wink:

veroniquem
04-17-2009, 07:32 AM

They speak at least 2 and if you speak 2 fluent languages, it's easier to add more. Anyway I'm a language teacher and I've taught people of all nationalities and all ages. Some people with superior intelligence struggle enormously with languages, some people with average intelligence are very gifted for them. A lot relies on your ability to hear the sounds correctly and to reproduce them accurately, so I would say having an ear for music helps a lot. Sometimes people who are too intelligent are hindered because they rationalize things too much and they try to analyze every aspect of the grammar in a way that blocks their spontaneous expression. Instinct is very important in languages, the younger you are when you're exposed to them, the easier it is for your brain and palate to adjust to different phonemes, sounds and concepts.

thejoe
04-17-2009, 07:36 AM
They speak at least 2 and if you speak 2 fluent languages, it's easier to add more. Anyway I'm a language teacher and I've taught people of all nationalities and all ages. Some people with superior intelligence struggle enormously with languages, some people with average intelligence are very gifted for them. A lot relies on your ability to hear the sounds correctly and to reproduce them accurately, so I would say having an ear for music helps a lot. Sometimes people who are too intelligent are hindered because they rationalize things too much and they try to analyze every aspect of the grammar in a way that blocks their spontaneous expression. Instinct is very important in languages, the younger you are when you're exposed to them, the easier it is for you brain and palate to adjust to different phonemes, sounds and concepts.

I agree with all of this. My two strengths at school are music and languages. It just comes easily to me. The good scientists at my school were the ones that struggled with languages, as they lacked a sense of spontaneity, and everything sounded forced.

vtmike
04-17-2009, 07:37 AM
They speak at least 2 and if you speak 2 fluent languages, it's easier to add more. Anyway I'm a language teacher and I've taught people of all nationalities and all ages. Some people with superior intelligence struggle enormously with languages, some people with average intelligence are very gifted for them. A lot relies on your ability to hear the sounds correctly and to reproduce them accurately, so I would say having an ear for music helps a lot. Sometimes people who are too intelligent are hindered because they rationalize things too much and they try to analyze every aspect of the grammar in a way that blocks their spontaneous expression. Instinct is very important in languages, the younger you are when you're exposed to them, the easier it is for you brain and palate to adjust to different phonemes, sounds and concepts.

I think its more a case of interest & who has a higher craving to learn a new language...

Ruzica
04-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Tipsarevic and Ancic in my opinion. Tipsarevic not only reads some pretty heavy and philosophical literature, but can speak intelligently about it afterwards, whist Ancic studied for his Law Degree in his own free time, as opposed to getting the help of being at Uni full time. Having met a lot of players over the years I've spent travelling on the tour, I would say Novak is a very clever guy too - not just because of the language thing, but because he can speak on a lot of different subjects easily, and knows about a large variety of things from football to opera, politics and many more besides, and can relate to people and speak comfortably to them and put them at their ease, regardless of their age, sex, or country or origin. He is also very sharp and quick witted. Dmitry Tursunov is also very literate and well-educated.

veroniquem
04-17-2009, 07:40 AM
I agree with all of this. My two strengths at school are music and languages. It just comes easily to me. The good scientists at my school were the ones that struggled with languages, as they lacked a sense of spontaneity, and everything sounded forced.
That's what I've been observing so far as well.

veroniquem
04-17-2009, 07:40 AM
I think its more a case of interest & who has a higher craving to learn a new language...
Motivation is an important factor, you're right.

thejoe
04-17-2009, 07:43 AM
That's what I've been observing so far as well.

Which age-group do you teach?

rafan
04-17-2009, 07:45 AM
They speak at least 2 and if you speak 2 fluent languages, it's easier to add more. Anyway I'm a language teacher and I've taught people of all nationalities and all ages. Some people with superior intelligence struggle enormously with languages, some people with average intelligence are very gifted for them. A lot relies on your ability to hear the sounds correctly and to reproduce them accurately, so I would say having an ear for music helps a lot. Sometimes people who are too intelligent are hindered because they rationalize things too much and they try to analyze every aspect of the grammar in a way that blocks their spontaneous expression. Instinct is very important in languages, the younger you are when you're exposed to them, the easier it is for your brain and palate to adjust to different phonemes, sounds and concepts.

Well done Veroniquem, I met so many people in Kenya who spoke 3 languages fluently and as I've said had very little schooling. Many of them were uncomplicated people who lived very simple lives, yet their abitlity to pick up languages was amazing

mbstriker
04-17-2009, 07:48 AM

you all know Ancic has a law degree? right. and i have been to Switzerland, a tour guide knows all four languages spoken in the Swiss land fluently as well as English. So does that mean he is more intellectual than someone with a law degree?. NO!!

deltox
04-17-2009, 07:50 AM
another note to mention is that speaking or understanding other languages is a totally different story than reading and writing them.

maximo
04-17-2009, 07:54 AM
another note to mention is that speaking or understanding other languages is a totally different story than reading and writing them.

Exactly. If you can do both, than thats really good.

niktub
04-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Tipsarevic and Ancic in my opinion. Tipsarevic not only reads some pretty heavy and philosophical literature, but can speak intelligently about it afterwards, whist Ancic studied for his Law Degree in his own free time, as opposed to getting the help of being at Uni full time. Having met a lot of players over the years I've spent travelling on the tour, I would say Novak is a very clever guy too - not just because of the language thing, but because he can speak on a lot of different subjects easily, and knows about a large variety of things from football to opera, politics and many more besides, and can relate to people and speak comfortably to them and put them at their ease, regardless of their age, sex, or country or origin. He is also very sharp and quick witted. Dmitry Tursunov is also very literate and well-educated.

Novak is probably the master of banalities

maximo
04-17-2009, 07:58 AM
you all know Ancic has a law degree? right. and i have been to Switzerland, a tour guide knows all four languages spoken in the Swiss land fluently as well as English. So does that mean he is more intellectual than someone with a law degree?. NO!!

Err... he's a tour guide, what do you expect?

You think people will pay someone they don't understand? :roll:

mbstriker
04-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Exactly. If you can do both, than thats really good.

better thaan a law degree?

deltox
04-17-2009, 08:01 AM
better thaan a law degree?

probably not, but that all depends on the person.

the bottom line is simple,

IQ wise, there is a few non top 10s who will own the rest.

not even the great nadal can compete with the iq and smarts of the likes of ancic and blake off court. no matter how long we argue about it with everyone.

mbstriker
04-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Err... he's a tour guide, what do you expect?

You think people will pay someone they don't understand? :roll:

that has nothing to do with my post you moron, you said that federer is the most intellectual even though Ancic has a degree in law and can teach it. The tour guide example has to do with the federer having the same amount of intelligence as the tour guide, based on your judgement on federer

maximo
04-17-2009, 08:04 AM
that has nothing to do with my post you moron, you said that federer is the most intellectual even though Ancic has a degree in law and can teach it. The tour guide example has to do with the federer having the same amount of intelligence as the tour guide

If it had nothing to do with your post, why did you add it in? :roll:

mbstriker
04-17-2009, 08:05 AM
If it had nothing to do with your post, why did you add it in? :roll:

read the last sentence of my post in #72

maximo
04-17-2009, 08:08 AM
You just contradicted yourself. idiot.

Nadalfan89
04-17-2009, 08:17 AM
I'm sorry but why is someone's law degree being taken into account when deciding how smart they are? Bill Gates and Richard Branson are pretty smart guys...one doesn't have a high school diploma and the other dropped out of college (like Blake).

Nellie
04-17-2009, 08:18 AM
I guess women players do not come up in conversations about most intellectual - I always thought that Dementieva was the smartest (and the prettiest) tennis player.

By the way, Ancic law degree is a bachelor's, but he is in extremely rare company on the tour. While there are some college graduates in the 100-200 range, I could not anyone else in the top 100.

gzhpcu
04-17-2009, 08:30 AM

I doubt it. I saw an interview with Federer on Swiss TV a year or two back, and he said he never read a book. Which I find incredible. He is anything but intellectual.

deltox
04-17-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm sorry but why is someone's law degree being taken into account when deciding how smart they are? Bill Gates and Richard Branson are pretty smart guys...one doesn't have a high school diploma and the other dropped out of college (like Blake).

because unlike business management and computer code which can be learned from doing repeatedly and learning that way, law on the other hand is serious work and studying and takes alot of brain power from the start, much like being a doctor.

in programming and business you can fail repeatedly before achieving and finding the right method for your success (trial and error), in law you cant fail becuase your trying something just to see if it works, you dont get redos for your failures.

like i said, lawyers and doctors have one chance to get it right. there is exceptions but for the most part its a 1 shot deal, fail or succeed

on a side note, you used a flaming lunatic in branson as your example.

Josherer
04-17-2009, 08:43 AM
I doubt it. I saw an interview with Federer on Swiss TV a year or two back, and he said he never read a book. Which I find incredible. He is anything but intellectual.

Haha that's not very believable.

Who here would rather speak 4 languages fluently for the rest of their life and be able to travel the world communicating with many different cultures.

Or

Have a law degree.

What sound better?

'I have a law degree'

Or

'I can speak fluently in 4 different languages'

maximo
04-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Haha that's not very believable.

Who here would rather speak 4 languages fluently for the rest of their life and be able to travel the world communicating with many different cultures.

Or

Have a law degree.

What sound better?

'I have a law degree'

Or

'I can speak fluently in 4 different languages'

Spot on. That's what i have been trying to get across.

rafan
04-17-2009, 08:52 AM
because unlike business management and computer code which can be learned from doing repeatedly and learning that way, law on the other hand is serious work and studying and takes alot of brain power from the start, much like being a doctor.

in programming and business you can fail repeatedly before achieving and finding the right method for your success (trial and error), in law you cant fail becuase your trying something just to see if it works, you dont get redos for your failures.

like i said, lawyers and doctors have one chance to get it right. there is exceptions but for the most part its a 1 shot deal, fail or succeed

on a side note, you used a flaming lunatic in branson as your example.

Sorry but I wouldn't compare law with science. With science you also have to be inovative, inventive, if you are in research for example

deltox
04-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Sorry but I wouldn't compare law with science. With science you also have to be inovative, inventive, if you are in research for example

you think a lawyer doesnt have to be innovative and inventive?

why do you think they call it "setting prescedents" (sp)

i dont mean this is a derrogatory way, but you are very unfamiliar with the going ons of law

rafan
04-17-2009, 09:19 AM
you think a lawyer doesnt have to be innovative and inventive?

why do you think they call it "setting prescedents" (sp)

i dont mean this is a derrogatory way, but you are very unfamiliar with the going ons of law

I think you have to be canny - yes I worked for a lawyer once - but live with a house full of scientists: husband, son, daughter. I can see what you mean but I think science requires a different attitude to law. In law there are boundaries wheras in science you are able to be less confined.

deltox
04-17-2009, 09:23 AM
I think you have to be canny - yes I worked for a lawyer once - but live with a house full of scientists: husband, son, daughter. I can see what you mean but I think science requires a different attitude to law. In law there are boundaries wheras in science you are able to be less confined.

i can agree with that statement fully, but you have to udnerstand that law as in science, thinking outside the box is the way to get ahead.

rafan
04-17-2009, 09:28 AM
i can agree with that statement fully, but you have to udnerstand that law as in science, thinking outside the box is the way to get ahead.

Anyway.. can you imagine if Nadal decided to take up languages? He would be come obsessed and and we would probably never see him on the tennis courts again!!

mbstriker
04-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Spot on. That's what i have been trying to get across.

you are asking who is more intellectual therefore smarter(tell me if i am wrong)

therefore how is a person who didnt go to college smarter than a person that did and has a law degree

maximo
04-17-2009, 09:47 AM
you are asking who is more intellectual therefore smarter(tell me if i am wrong)

therefore how is a person who didnt go to college smarter than a person that did and has a law degree

Who cares, don't need to go to college to be smart.

Law degree means nothing, languages are an essential part of every day life.

RoddickAce
04-17-2009, 09:47 AM

given to study, reflection, and speculation b: engaged in activity requiring the creative use of the intellect <intellectual playwrights

His love of classic literature is often mentioned by commentators and the press as something unusual for a high-level athlete. He has a quotation, tattooed in Japanese, from Dostoyevsky ("Beauty will save the world", from The Idiot) on his left arm. He also has a Japanese tattoo on his right arm, which represent the first two letters of the names of his father, his mother, himself and his brother, in Katakana. According to US Open announcers Ted Robinson and John McEnroe, he also has a tattoo of a quote from Arthur Schopenhauer on his back.

That was exactly what I was thinking. Also, an intellectual person is very rational and is not lead by emotions. So on court, I'd have to say Agassi(during the latter stages of his career). He was a master at using tactics and was an innovator.

He didn't invent the swinging volley, but he expanded on it and put it to good use. (Some may argue that this is not innovating, but hey, Bill Gates didn't invent the computer or the first software; it was the way he used those items and managed to have low long-run costs and made the computer an everyday item that made him an innovator)

Also, Agassi was very rational with his shots. He hit it harder than anyone, but he wasn't an UFE machine who would try crazy shots he knows he can't make. He wouldn't throw his racquet in frustration(latter stages of his career) or let his emotions mess up his game.

mbstriker
04-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Who cares, don't need to go to college to be smart.

Law degree means nothing, languages are an essential part of every day life.

Wonder how many you can speak. :|

What does me speaking a different language do with this thread???
And aare you saying a law degree means nothing? do you know how hard it is to get one? you have to study at least 4-6 hours a day for 6 years. THis shows you are truly stupid

ShcMad
04-17-2009, 10:57 AM

I think the title of this thread is a little misleading in a way. From what I know, being intellectual doesn't necessarily mean being smart or knowing several languages.

I second your thoughts about Janko Tipsarevic. I once heard he was reading stuff written by Nietzsche.

rafan
04-17-2009, 11:01 AM
I think the title of this thread is a little misleading in a way. From what I know, being intellectual doesn't necessarily mean being smart or knowing several languages.

I second your thoughts about Janko Tipsarevic. I once heard he was reading stuff written by Nietzsche.

It can also mean being able to make THE perfect chocolate cake!

helloworld
04-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Blake did not go to Harvard Law School.... He's an economic major undergrad, and he dropped out...

deltox
04-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Blake did not go to Harvard Law School.... He's an economic major undergrad, and he dropped out...

same academic requirments tho. his entry was the proof we are using as info

although cilic did go to law school

GavinC360
04-17-2009, 11:12 AM
^^^

Or Blake. He managed to get a Harvad Law Degree despite his back problems and fathers death.

I would have said Federer, but I didn't realize blake has a Harvard law degree!

Melissa
04-17-2009, 11:23 AM

Intelligent and intellectual are not the same thing and most of these posts have nothing to do with being an intellectual.

Reflecting the level of intellectual intelligence of our membership.

L.M.F PRECISION
04-17-2009, 11:29 AM
i think mario ancic and james blake because blake went to harvard and ancic has a law degree

Cloudy
04-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Being intellectual isn't necessarily the same as being clever.

A lot of the pros might not have had the chance to study much and get qualifications because of their tennis but it doesn't mean that they couldn't have done so if they had chosen a different path in life.

maximo
04-17-2009, 12:06 PM
What does me speaking a different language do with this thread???
And aare you saying a law degree means nothing? do you know how hard it is to get one? you have to study at least 4-6 hours a day for 6 years. THis shows you are truly stupid

Its not 6 years for a bachelor, smart @ss.

Your pathetic, no need to speak to you anymore.

EtePras
04-17-2009, 12:13 PM
lol Blake who? Watch him play tennis and try to tell me he's smart. Donald Young is so much smarter, and didn't even go to college. It was an ironic match, watching Young vs Blake at the US Open: a mindless ball basher who went to Harvard, vs the smart tactician who didn't go to college.

mbstriker
04-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Its not 6 years for a bachelor, smart @ss.

Your pathetic, no need to speak to you anymore.

yes but this truly shows you are an idiot who has no respect for education.
Mario got his masters since he started in 2002. And he got his degree in 2008. that is 6 YEARS. YOU DUMB IDIOT

maximo
04-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Mario got his masters since he started in 2002. And he got his degree in 2008. that is 6 YEARS. YOU DUMB IDIOT

Lol anyone?

helloworld
04-17-2009, 12:16 PM
same academic requirments tho. his entry was the proof we are using as info

although cilic did go to law school

????? Blake doesn't even have a bachelor degree. Law School is a professional graduate degree meaning that the minimum requirement is a bachelor degree..... Anybody who actually have an education should know this....... I applied for Harvard Law School once, but was rejected. How old are you anyway???

deltox
04-17-2009, 12:18 PM
????? Blake doesn't even have a bachelor degree. Law School is a pressional graduate degree meaning that the minimum requirement is a bachelor degree..... Anybody who actually have an education should know this....... I applied for Harvard Law School once, but was rejected. How old are you anyway???

im 35 with a double bachelors in applied sciences electronics technology and one in academic studies of the same field (teaching)

and you?

deltox
04-17-2009, 12:19 PM

bachlors are TYPICALLY 4 years

masters 6

doctorates 8-12

although my wife got her masters in 7.5 years because she was going part time.

the above quotes are for full time

helloworld
04-17-2009, 12:19 PM
im 35 with a double bachelors in applied sciences electronics technology and one in academic studies of the same field (teaching)

and you?
OH MY!! You are 35 years old and yet you know nothing about Law School??? Good Lord!! Please don't tell me you are american... We have enough reputation of being dumb already.....

mbstriker
04-17-2009, 12:21 PM
OH MY!! You are 35 years old and yet you know nothing about Law School??? Good Lord!! Please don't tell me you are american... We have enough reputation of being dumb already.....

you didnt answer his question what degrees do you have>?

Crayola Oblongata
04-17-2009, 12:22 PM
I have a friend who has a bachelor degree in Law, the course lasted 3 years. She is doing her LPC course which I believe is a year long.

I have met a handful of her classmates and can say that they are by no means intellectual. It may be harsh, but I would go as far to call some of them philistines.

helloworld
04-17-2009, 12:23 PM

I went to Sloan Business School at MIT. My bachelor degree is electrical engineering from University of Florida. Satisfied...? :-?

deltox
04-17-2009, 12:24 PM

was never interested in law, with the exception of tax law. im not a criminal or police so it matters little to me.

JoshDragon
04-17-2009, 12:24 PM
^^^

I don't agree. Getting a Harvard Degree does not make you an intellectual. Getting a Harvard degree means that you had adequate grades to get into the school, connections, and a considerable amount of money to pay for the tuition. Not necessarily any more.

I think Roger Federer, or Andre Agassi. Both of those guys are very smart it's evident from listening to them.

Crayola Oblongata
04-17-2009, 12:25 PM
I should add I am not implying all Law students are like this though!!

helloworld
04-17-2009, 12:25 PM
.... I am just amazed by the intellectual level of some posters here... WOW!! :confused:

deltox
04-17-2009, 12:26 PM
I went to Sloan Business School at MIT. My bachelor degree is electrical engineering from University of Florida. Satisfied...? :-?

i thought sloan only offered masters programs? i might have misunderstood but.,.

maximo
04-17-2009, 12:26 PM

You are clearly unintellectual.

helloworld
04-17-2009, 12:27 PM
i thought sloan only offered masters programs? i might have misunderstood but.,.
????? Did you understand what I just said????? :confused:
:confused::confused:

mbstriker
04-17-2009, 12:28 PM
This question can not be answered properly. im pretty sure no one posting know any pros personally, therefore we can not make the assumption based things we read about them. Therefore Maximo i dont want to fight with you as this question is clearly debatable with no real answer

mbstriker
04-17-2009, 12:28 PM
You are clearly unintellectual.
what does this post have to do with anything about meyou judgemental freak????
You are clearly an idiot for judging someone through a computer

deltox
04-17-2009, 12:29 PM
????? Did you understand what I just said????? :confused:
:confused::confused:

yes, but i see you went there but no listing of a degree earned, which caused my confusion.

nerdrage much?

why the hell would you wanna attack me in your posts?

rubberduckies
04-17-2009, 12:29 PM
bachlors are TYPICALLY 4 years

masters 6

doctorates 8-12

although my wife got her masters in 7.5 years because she was going part time.

the above quotes are for full time

Are you talking about cumulative time?

Bachelors typically take 4 years.

Masters typically take 2 years.

Doctorates typically take 4-6 years.

I'm getting my Bachelors + Masters in 4 years combined :)

maximo
04-17-2009, 12:32 PM
what does this post have to do with anything about meyou judgemental freak????
You are clearly an idiot for judging someone through a computer

You clearly can't spell. :roll:

Point proven.

deltox
04-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Are you talking about cumulative time?

Bachelors typically take 4 years.

Masters typically take 2 years.

Doctorates typically take 4-6 years.

I'm getting my Bachelors + Masters in 4 years combined :)

yes cumulative, as in masters = bachelors +2 years = 6 years.

mbstriker
04-17-2009, 12:36 PM
You clearly can't spell. :roll:

Point proven.

Wow really you stupid computer bug, you have been on here the whole day.
i bet this forum is your life. you low lif scum bag

maximo
04-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Wow really you stupid computer bug, you have been on here the whole day.
i bet this forum is your life. you low lif scum bag

Point proven. You are inadequate.

Serve_Ace
04-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Lets please stay on topic
I have to agree with the people saying Roger is pretty damn smart, being able to speak 4 different languages fluently, learning a language is pretty hard especially you have to learn all the small rules like past tenses and pre tense, and all those things.

jamesblakefan#1
04-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Lets please stay on topic
I have to agree with the people saying Roger is pretty damn smart, being able to speak 4 different languages fluently, learning a language is pretty hard especially you have to learn all the small rules like past tenses and pre tense, and all those things.

But aren't kids in most other european countries, like Switzerland, Sweden, taught at least 3 languages. Knowing languages doesn't make you intellectual, per se. Intellectual is more like deep thought on social issues, like Ashe and Billie Jean King had. My point is, being smart and being intellectual are two different things. I don't know if I see many intellectual athletes anymore, let alone tennis players.

Serve_Ace
04-17-2009, 12:59 PM
But aren't kids in most other european countries, like Switzerland, Sweden, taught at least 3 languages. Knowing languages doesn't make you intellectual, per se. Intellectual is more like deep thought on social issues, like Ashe and Billie Jean King had. My point is, being smart and being intellectual are two different things. I don't know if I see many intellectual athletes anymore, let alone tennis players.

Haha I think that a lot of people here have different definitions of the word "intelligence" so here is the what wikipedia says! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence

Cloudy
04-17-2009, 01:00 PM
In the UK and quite a lot of places in Europe you can do law as an undergrad although mine was a post grad course.

jamesblakefan#1
04-17-2009, 01:01 PM
"An intellectual (from the adjective meaning "involving thought and reason") is a person who uses his or her intelligence and analytical thinking, either in a professional capacity, or for personal reasons"

That's definetly not Blake lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual

rubberduckies
04-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Learning languages as a young child is a lot easier than learning them as an adult. Many grammatical rules and structures that are difficult for foreign language students to understand come naturally to native speakers who grow up on a certain language and learn to think in that language. I will never be able to speak German as well as Roger even though I am a lot more intelligent than he is :)

P_Agony
04-17-2009, 01:11 PM
On the court, Rafa is much more intelligent than Fed, I agree. Fed is more of an instinctive player. Nadal strategizes very well especially on clay. It's a pleasure to see him construct every point. Nadal is also excellent at changing game plans during a match if something is not working. When a strategy is not working for Fed, he doesn't seem to have the flexibility to adjust.

I disagree. I think Federer is a very one of the most intelligent players ever. We don't see it much today sure, but back in his prime his dynamic decision making ability was amazing. He always knew exactly the right shot to win the point, and he's also a brilliant point consturctor. In fact I think Fed's on court intellegence is the one of the main things that made him what he is today, along with his strokes, movement, etc.

P_Agony
04-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Learning languages as a young child is a lot easier than learning them as an adult. Many grammatical rules and structures that are difficult for foreign language students to understand come naturally to native speakers who grow up on a certain language and learn to think in that language. I will never be able to speak German as well as Roger even though I am a lot more intelligent than he is :)

Your trolling posts suggest that you are no more intellegent than a rubber ducky.

kimbahpnam
04-17-2009, 01:14 PM
DY

10 char

jamesblakefan#1
04-17-2009, 01:17 PM
DY

10 char

Post of the year.

vtmike
04-17-2009, 01:27 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41704000/gif/_41704776_nadal_federer1_416.gif

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41704000/gif/_41704774_nadal_federer2_416.gif

pound cat
04-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Haha I think that a lot of people here have different definitions of the word "intelligence" so here is the what wikipedia says! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence

And most people here are confusing "intelligence" with "intellectual." They are 2 different things.

pound cat
04-17-2009, 02:35 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41704000/gif/_41704776_nadal_federer1_416.gif

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41704000/gif/_41704774_nadal_federer2_416.gif

Extremely interesting way of explaining how a Fed/Nadal point came about. Thanks.

Good old Beeb.

fps
04-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Learning languages as a young child is a lot easier than learning them as an adult. Many grammatical rules and structures that are difficult for foreign language students to understand come naturally to native speakers who grow up on a certain language and learn to think in that language.

If you guys are interested in this, look up the Critical Age Hypothesis. Children up to the age of around 12 learn languages completely naturally in a way that an adult cannot. Primary languages learnt from interaction with speakers are accessed on one side of the brain, secondary languages learnt as an adult on the other. This is because the type of memory used to recall them is different. As adults we lose the ability to absorb language and instead tend towards an *A is equivalent to B* kind of formation. Beyond 12 you will never have a language in the way that a standard native speaker has it.

A child can learn as many languages as it is exposed to. We all have this remarkable gift, an utterly unremarkable child can become bi-/tri- etc lingual. it is just that most of us English speakers only learn one language, English, because we have little need of other languages. The rest of the world speaks English, so we tend to be worse at learning the languages of the rest of the world.

dincuss
04-17-2009, 03:47 PM
I think Ancic, is one of the most intellectual players, with Federer as a close second. Ancic can probably speak some more languages other than Croatian and English.

But for tipsarevic, I think he has a love for the arts, not so much intelligent (not saying that he's stupid or anything)

JeMar
04-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Ljubicic seems like a fairly wise man in his interview transcripts.

pound cat
04-17-2009, 05:49 PM
I think Ancic, is one of the most intellectual players, with Federer as a close second. Ancic can probably speak some more languages other than Croatian and English.

But for tipsarevic, I think he has a love for the arts, not so much intelligent (not saying that he's stupid or anything)

Being intellectual is NOT the same as being intelligent. I'm sure there are some WWW wrestlers who have very high iQ's, but they are NOT intellectuals.

jamesblakefan#1
04-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Being intellectual is NOT the same as being intelligent. I'm sure there are some WWW wrestlers who have very high iQ's, but they are NOT intellectuals.

The OP wrote the post as "most intellectual" and then said Fed was most intellectual b/c he knew a lot of languages. To me, being intellectual is more than that. Its about deep thought on issues of life. Being able to speak a lot of languages has little to do with being intellectual.

Toxicmilk
04-17-2009, 06:08 PM
who keeps bringing up the languages? just let that go, we all know that doesn't mean a thing. I don't see the point of this thread, but I guess I'd go with Tipsy on this one.

ShcMad
04-17-2009, 06:23 PM
For the love of God... the people who are referring to players who can speak multiple languages as "intellectuals" are starting to annoy me. Being able to speak different languages doesn't mean jack in terms of intellect.

mbstriker
04-17-2009, 06:26 PM
For the love of God... the people who are referring to players who can speak multiple languages as "intellectuals" are starting to annoy me. Being able to speak different languages doesn't mean jack in terms of intellect.

exactly MAXIMO is crazy

jamesblakefan#1
04-17-2009, 06:27 PM
who keeps bringing up the languages? just let that go, we all know that doesn't mean a thing. I don't see the point of this thread, but I guess I'd go with Tipsy on this one.

Yeah i'd say tipsarevic too.

Patrick_St
04-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Intelligence =/= Intellect.

/thread on

pound cat
04-18-2009, 03:54 AM
Intelligence =/= Intellect.

/thread on

I'm glad the pro Tipsy for the ATP intellectual are finally posting.

Nietzsche is pietzsche. (Bathroom graffiti) (If you get that, then you are an intellectual)

Leublu tennis
04-18-2009, 03:59 AM
^^^

Or Blake. He managed to get a Harvad Law Degree despite his back problems and fathers death.I thought Blake dropped out of Harvard College after his freshman year and didn't know he ever spent a day at Harvard Law School.

Leublu tennis
04-18-2009, 04:01 AM
Ancic has a law degree and gives speeches at Harvard. Blake attended Harvard, but from what I heard he got in because his brother went too.You don't get into Harvard just because your brother is there. Unless your brother is King Farouk.

Leublu tennis
04-18-2009, 04:04 AM
At such young ages, i wonder how pro's learn 4 languages in total. How do they find the spare time?Kids learn language by being there. If they are in Germany, they learn German in no time. And if their parents speak some other language at home, bingo, now they know two. Then if parents move to another country, make that 3. #4 they pick up at school. All schools in Europe teach a foreing language and ofter two or three.

pound cat
04-18-2009, 04:25 AM
I thought Blake dropped out of Harvard College after his freshman year and didn't know he ever spent a day at Harvard Law School.

Blake was at Harvard for 2 years. He does not have a law degree, (wikipedia) but Ancic does.