PDA

View Full Version : Flexible arm-friendly "tweeners"?

wwong
03-11-2005, 08:34 AM
I may be wrong but seems to me most of the "tweeners" are less head light, less flexible, wide body hoop, etc. Those features all contribute a non-arm-friendly feeling. So my question is, is there such a thing as "arm friendly tweener"?

backcourt
03-11-2005, 09:20 AM
I'm interested in this thread as I think my Yonex mp 3i qualifies as an arm, or in my case shoulder friendly tweener, but because they're not made any more I'm looking to move to a racquet with a bigger head size than 95, 11.3 to 11.7 or so, flexible 63 or less,and something that has more power than your usual players racquet but is still headlight. Both the Diablo MP and Yonex Tour 5 dont have enough pop for me. Any suggestions?

Yonex mp 3i, 850 Tour spin, 4.0

FuriousYellow
03-11-2005, 10:17 AM
I don't know if I'd classify the PK Ki5 as a tweener, but it definitely felt like it had more pop than Diablo MP when I demoed it. It is very headlight and flexible and only weighs 11.8oz. I haven't tried the PK Ki10 yet, but others have posted favorable review of it. The LM Instinct also has a very low flex rating, 100sq. in head, but is less headlight.

I don't know if you'd want a lightweight (i.e. 11.2oz or lower) racquet to be too headlight. Without the mass behind it, it probably wouldn't handle hard paced shots very well. I found the Babolat PC Team Std. MP to be like that.

BreakPoint
03-11-2005, 11:10 AM
The problem is, to make a lightweight racquet more powerful, you have to make it stiffer to compensate for the lack of weight. A light AND flexible racquet will feel like a wet noodle or wire coat hanger in your hands when you try and hit the ball. Imagine trying to hit baseballs coming at you at 80mph with a wiffle ball bat.

Heavier racquets can be more flexible because they can use their weight to counteract the momentum of the ball coming at them.

Thus, you can have light and stiff OR heavy and flexible to achieve enough power to get a tennis ball over the net. Unfortunately, light and stiff, which most tweeners are, is also not very arm friendly.

MarkOzi
03-11-2005, 11:50 AM
take Yonex 300RDX or BabolatAeroDrive - all the best of tweeners

backcourt
03-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Furious Yellow, I've been thinking of demoing the Ki5 as it sounds as though its got substantially more power than the 5G. My two concerns are tight string pattern and pretty high swingweight. The instinct isn't headlight enuf, and though I did play with a LM Rad MP, and liked it, sounds like it isn't very arm friendly.

Break point, I agree with you about light flexible racquets, although the Yonex Tour 5 is pretty stable considering its 11.2 weight and 59 flex. It just doesn't have enough pop for me, and most people on these boards seem to lead it up (which I dont want to deal with). But I've also decided I really want to stick with a 27 length.

pchoi04
03-11-2005, 12:17 PM
How about the dunlop 200g XL or whatever... Its pretty light around 11oz i think, Extra length i think .5in, and it says the stiffness is 56, and has an open string pattern. I've never used this racquet or have heard anything about it but i think it would be a nice racquet.

FuriousYellow
03-11-2005, 12:29 PM
How about Volkl Tour 9VE? 98sq. in. head, 16x19, 5pts HL, 308SW and relatively low stiffness rating.

backcourt
03-11-2005, 12:36 PM
I just posted another thread for feedback on the Tour 9VE. Stats look nice.

volleyman
03-11-2005, 01:02 PM
I have found the ProKennex 7G and Core1 #10 to be arm-friendly. The Core1 #10 was easier for my shoulder, though.

Morpheus
03-11-2005, 01:12 PM
The Ki 15 PSE is an arm friendly tweener. It has much more power then the Ki5.

I see it as an arm friendly PD.

monologuist
03-11-2005, 01:37 PM
this is the precise category of racquet I was looking for about 6 months ago. I tried them all. The ones I liked the best were :
1. Yonex MP Tour-5 : a little underpowered stock, but with a little lead at 10, 12, and 2 o'clock, and the right selection of string, this is more than solved. Maneuverability will suffer a little , but not much.
2. Dunlop 200g XL : even less power, but again, some lead in the head and the right string will help. More demanding sweetspot and headsize though; it's very narrow....suffers on serve returns. You gotta be a pretty precise ballstriker for this one.
3. Volkl Tour 9 V : I tried the 16x19, but it was too powerful and unpredictable, but I liked everything else....the most stable of this category. Maybe the 18x20 will be more controllable? I also didn't try different strings; would help some.
4. Prince Diablo MP : One fatal weakness was instability against heavy pace. Again, lead would help, but for some reason, I couldn't find the right combo and gave up. I think the head is too round and wide.

The Aeropro Drive is pretty nice, but I couldn't call it flexible....less stiff than the PD though. Pro Kennex 5g and 7g are nice too, but not sure I'd call them tweeners. Just a word of warning though...I discovered that light and flexible is rarely gonna work. There's a reason tweeners are stuffer; cuz at that weight, if they were flexy, they have like NEGATIVE power, so you end up swinging for the fences and suffer in control.. also, if they are light and thin-bamed, they're gonna get knocked around hard by heavy pace shots and have a tiny sweetspot. So you really have to make some compromises and do a lot of tweeking to get the balance of all these things just right. I settled on the Yonex + lead, and found it to be a nice balance of manueverability/touch/power as have quite a few others on this list....so I ended up with a flexible racquet that is more between tweener and player's. (actually it's up to 12.1 oz. now, but it's not hard to swing due to 10 pts. headlight and extremely aerodynamic beams)

anyway, if flexible is a priority and you want to find something that isn't too hard to swing, I'd probably consider getting something in the 12 oz. and just below range, but with a low swingweight. Volkl Tour 10 gen.2 , Fischer Pro 1, Yonex RDX-500 , something like that....question will just be, can you generate enough power with them and hit the sweetspot consistently enough...but you'll be surprised how easy they swing ....as easy as a lot of tweeners that have swingweights in the upper 320's/330's really.

iscottius
03-11-2005, 03:01 PM
I second the Yonex Mp tour 5 (my current stick) very arm friendly, nice pop & great feel & touch

Steve Huff
03-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Yonex VCon 17 OS, Volkl V-1 Catapult MP,

fred-s
03-11-2005, 03:16 PM
I'd recommend that you give the Cat V1 Midplus a try. It has a very soft, unique, flexible feel with tweener power. Yet despite the low weight it feels pretty solid. Feels very different than the stiff tweeners of comparable weight.

snowpuppy
03-11-2005, 06:39 PM
ditto on the ki 15 pse. Even thought the TW reviews on it states that the racquet will only be realized by an accomplished player, i sense nothing of the sort. It has a nice heft to make it stable on shots, generous sweet spot, big enought head, and controllable power. I am about the intermediate lv too so off-center shots are common. Great stick except that sand like sound that freaks me out....

LafayetteHitter
03-12-2005, 01:12 AM
After hitting now with the Volkl Catapult V1 Midplus, I would definately say it qualifies, very very nice indeed. Also it is not as light as the Cat V1 but the ProKennex Type R has proven very easy on my gf's wrist and elbow, string it with a gut hybrid and it really hits like a dream.

Scott

tedmeister
03-12-2005, 02:25 AM
If you can find the Volkl Quantum V1 mp, the one just before the catapult V1 came out, that in my opinion is one of the best tweeners out there. Good control, just enough weight for a "tweener" type player to handle, doesn't feel too stiff and feels even balanced after stringing. The catapult model just feels a bit heavier in the head. Still manageable, but my vote for comfort goes for the Quantum.