PDA

View Full Version : Federer Backhand's Back

abudhabi tennis
04-17-2009, 12:37 PM
In Montecarlo , Federers backhand was back and on fire. Very few UFE
His forehand and serve need more work.
Analysing the match, me thinks Federer is retooling his game, especially his forehand and Serve. They seem to be more lethal , with a lot more power and aggression but at same time causing him a ton of UFE's. His forehand has definetely more powe, topspin than before but he needs to keep it in control and reduce his UFE. If he succeeds u can surely see him winning US open and Wimbledon

EtePras
04-17-2009, 12:45 PM
His shots are too weak to be both powerful and consistent at the same time. That is why he lost in the third round on his best surface ("Thank god the hard court season is over").

kalidor
04-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Analysing the match, me thinks Federer is retooling his game, especially his forehand and Serve. They seem to be more lethal , with a lot more power and aggression but at same time causing him a ton of UFE's. His forehand has definetely more powe, topspin than before but he needs to keep it in control and reduce his UFE. If he succeeds u can surely see him winning US open and Wimbledon

I think he is experimenting with either new strings or string tensions. My theory is that he has his strings done looser since his backhand is the weaker shot and is landing deep (he is getting more power from the strings), but his stronger shots are forehand and serve which he may be overhitting. I think his game is ok, but he can tailor his serve and forehand after a little bit of adjustment time period.

Lotto
04-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Cool. Anyone have full stats from Roger's match with Stan? i.e. BH UFE, FH UFE etc.... backhand winners, forehand winners, serve % etc......

batz
04-17-2009, 12:58 PM

Meanwhile in other news, he couldn't hit a cow's @rse with a banjo.

jelle v
04-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Meanwhile in other news, he couldn't hit a cow's @rse with a banjo.

All fun aside.. I too think that Roger's backhand was pretty good although he lost the match. The one thing he wasn't scared to do is going down the line with his backhand and that is the game he has to play on clay. Eventually you will have to hit winners down the line on clay.

maximo
04-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Strange, i thougt his backhand was quite poor.

batz
04-17-2009, 01:24 PM
All fun aside.. I too think that Roger's backhand was pretty good although he lost the match. The one thing he wasn't scared to do is going down the line with his backhand and that is the game he has to play on clay. Eventually you will have to hit winners down the line on clay.

To be fair to the OP and you, his backhand was as good as it's been this season, but it is reflectin on how far the great man is slipping when having a half decent backhand is the subject of thread about Roger Federer.

tata
04-18-2009, 01:10 AM
I think his main let down is his consistency on the serve and forehand. His first serve percentage used to be quite high and he would almost seem to never make a mistake on the forehand.So now he ever plays godlike federer and pawns everyone or he shanks it all and loses to someone he usually doesnt lose to.

tennisnut16
04-18-2009, 10:52 AM
I think that federer needs to not take so many chances on his FH. He goes for the kill to early in long rallies and if he makes it, it's spectacular. But lately it isn't working out for him.

http://iws.punahou.edu/user/lcouillard/2009/03/
(Paul Wardlaw's directionals)

Unfortunately this is a backhand error, but it is not always the case.