PDA

View Full Version : Davydenko

Satch
04-17-2009, 01:33 PM
i am glad to see him back on tour....

i really respect this guy because of the way he strikes every ball, his 2hb is also one of the best bh's in history of the game.

too bad he is mentally weak player, also his serve is poor... any chance that he could do some damage this year?

tacou
04-17-2009, 01:36 PM
he played well to get to Monte quarters so that's a good sign. if he's playing like he always has he'll have a top 10 finish again.

Tennis_Maestro
04-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Mentally weak player? Wait do you draw upon that conclusion because he lost to Murray?

Unbelievable.

Satch
04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Mentally weak player? Wait do you draw upon that conclusion because he lost to Murray?

Unbelievable.

nope, but because he is always strangling to finish matches from beginning of his career.

Tennis_Maestro
04-17-2009, 01:47 PM
nope, but because he is always strangling to finish matches from beginning of his career.

Fair enough.

deltox
04-17-2009, 05:58 PM
mentally weak players usually arent the type to push push push, i do NOT nor have never viewed Davy as a mentally weak player.. his physical stature is his weakness, not his brain

on a side note, i see him winning one clay event this season and making the finals of one more, i also see him easily making the semis at RG. how quickly people forget just how nasty a clay courter davy is and always will be.

if he gets to and stays 100% he is always a threat on any surface to beat ANYONE.. i did say ANYONE.. fed, nadal, murray, anyone. He could easily crack the top 5 or better by years end to.

saram
04-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Davydenko is definitely not a mentally weak player. Look what he did to Roddick and Rafa in Miami last year. No mentally weak player wins Miami.....

tenniscool
04-17-2009, 07:34 PM
He doesn't seem to be very mental at all. All I know is that he has some great strokes

CyBorg
04-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Winning two masters series titles with no serve is not the stuff of mental midgets.

quest01
04-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Davydenko is the kind of player who could play very well in a tournament such as Miami last year and all of a sudden get knocked out in the 1st round in the next few tournaments. Even Roddick basically said the same thing how he's unpredictable and who knows he could go from a quarterfinal finish in Monte Carlo to an early exit in the next tournament.

CyBorg
04-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Davydenko is the kind of player who could play very well in a tournament such as Miami last year and all of a sudden get knocked out in the 1st round in the next few tournaments. Even Roddick basically said the same thing how he's unpredictable and who knows he could go from a quarterfinal finish in Monte Carlo to an early exit in the next tournament.

I don't think this is true. Davydenko seldom gets knocked out in the opening round. If anything, he consistently gets knocked out in quarters and semis.

When he's healthy.

This makes him predictable. The complete opposite of unpredictable.

Safinator_1
04-17-2009, 08:00 PM
He is probably one of the most predictable players on tour which makes things a bit boring but nonetheless if i ever want to see something solid i would watch Davy

luckyguy
04-17-2009, 10:19 PM
well he is the epitome of being a pusher.... his match against murray was the "original pusher" versus the "pusher with a serve."

but i like him. he hits the ball very cleanly and he is rarely outbalanced. the only advantage murray had against him was more court time...

and hey, being in the top 5 since 2004 or 2005 i think aint bad a record.

Satch
04-18-2009, 03:58 AM
Davy is mentally weak in terms that he can't play two tournaments on the same level...
He would win one and then fail in the 1st round in next one. With his game and strokes he could have been much better player if there's no that mental part, he can't close the match, period.

anyway i would like to see him in semis of RG

veroniquem
04-18-2009, 04:03 AM
Davy also doesn't do that well in slams. He never beats any top player there.

fps
04-18-2009, 04:09 AM
well he is the epitome of being a pusher.... his match against murray was the "original pusher" versus the "pusher with a serve."

but i like him. he hits the ball very cleanly and he is rarely outbalanced. the only advantage murray had against him was more court time...

and hey, being in the top 5 since 2004 or 2005 i think aint bad a record.

i think he has very clean strokes and opens up good angles while always hitting a solid ball. he's good at putting the ball away when he has to as well. he's miles from a pusher.

deltox
04-18-2009, 04:11 AM
why does everyone trash everyone on these forums cept rafa..

he has one of the best records in tennis against everyones high king at 2-3.

he uses the best angles in the game from the baseline and no pusher can make those shots.

everyone keep the smack talk up. when he starts putting out your favorites, maybe then you can give the guy some respect.

deltox
04-18-2009, 04:12 AM

in the past 4 years noone has done well at slams but 2 people

veroniquem
04-18-2009, 04:30 AM
That is simply not true: Djokovic has a slam final and a slam title, Safin has 2 slam titles, Roddick has several slam finals (Davy has 0) and Nalby has a Master Cup title (by defeating Federer no less), Murray has a slam final (he had to defeat Nadal in the semis). Those are the talented players of the last 5 years, I would put Davy a little below.

VashTheStampede
04-18-2009, 05:13 AM

It's a shame, because I really think he could have made the RG final in 2005. He made it to the semi's and was beaten by Puerta. Puerta was caught doping soon after, but he still pushed it to 5 sets (4-6.) I think he could have definitely beaten a "normal" Puerta and made the final. That would have really helped with the "Davydenko doesn't do well in slams" quote that he's often criticized with.

Ljubicic for number1
04-18-2009, 06:38 AM
I find it weird that people find Daveydenko boring to watch, to me he is one of the best players on tour to watch with his extreme angles and superb movement, great balance etc. But I continually see people on here saying he is boring. and at last years Aus Open when he played Tursonov in Vodafona arena it was a ghost town.

I find him the current Aggasi and everybody loved him.

Andyk028
04-18-2009, 07:04 AM
Davydenko is the reason why people like Breakpoint insist on enforcing a wooden racquet only ATP with only serve and volleying...davy brings zero flare to tennis.

deltox
04-18-2009, 08:03 AM
That is simply not true: Djokovic has a slam final and a slam title, Safin has 2 slam titles, Roddick has several slam finals (Davy has 0) and Nalby has a Master Cup title (by defeating Federer no less), Murray has a slam final (he had to defeat Nadal in the semis). Those are the talented players of the last 5 years, I would put Davy a little below.

never said he was a world #1.. noone did. i said he CAN and WILL beat people he isnt supposed to, and he DOES. nothing more nothing less

deltox
04-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Davydenko is the reason why people like Breakpoint insist on enforcing a wooden racquet only ATP with only serve and volleying...davy brings zero flare to tennis.

flare? when did they start earning style points?

boring players.. murray, rafa, simon. do they get crap for not having "flare"?

orangettecoleman
04-18-2009, 08:08 AM
I think people are confusing having an interesting personality with having an interesting game. Davy is one of the best movers on tour and has some of the best groundstrokes on tour as well. I'd put his backhand up with anyone except maybe Nalbandian. He has a serve weakness and a motivation weakness, he's burned out from all the tournaments he's played in the last few years and that gambling scandal took a lot out of him mentally as well.

deltox
04-18-2009, 08:24 AM
I think people are confusing having an interesting personality with having an interesting game. Davy is one of the best movers on tour and has some of the best groundstrokes on tour as well. I'd put his backhand up with anyone except maybe Nalbandian. He has a serve weakness and a motivation weakness, he's burned out from all the tournaments he's played in the last few years and that gambling scandal took a lot out of him mentally as well.

i agree in your assessment.

personally i think that Davy is the best player in the world with a bad serve.

he hits the best angles in tennis. and has as much pure speed as nadal, also matching his stamina.

how can you not like someone thats a workhorse like him.

Pirao
04-18-2009, 10:45 AM
I like Davydenko a lot and can't understand how people say he's boring, and is a handful for anybody. Plus he's consistent and usually beats the people he's supposed to beat.

deltox
04-18-2009, 11:09 AM
I like Davydenko a lot and can't understand how people say he's boring, and is a handful for anybody. Plus he's consistent and usually beats the people he's supposed to beat.

dont worry bout it, anyone who is even a MINOR threat like davydenko is to nadal gets slammed hard on these nadal forums.

Satch
04-18-2009, 11:22 AM
i know that my perfect hitting partner would be Davy, because he hits so clear, flat and deep like a ball machine...
i agree that he is the best player in the world with a bad serve, also very similar play to Andre.

BigT
04-18-2009, 09:27 PM
the guy is pound for pound the best in the world: 5'10" 150...
he hits the ball as clean as anyone today and his movement is second to none...I enjoy watching him play.

imalil2gangsta4u
04-18-2009, 09:31 PM
hes a very solid player, except at wimbledon lol

Nadalfan89
04-18-2009, 09:46 PM
No one in the top 10 is a pusher. I don't want to hear that stupid word again.

luckyguy
04-18-2009, 10:14 PM
OMG im scared :shock:

No one in the top 10 is a pusher. I don't want to hear that stupid word again.

luckyguy
04-18-2009, 10:18 PM
actually not a bad server, not just as powerful as the other guys, but places it well. he was averaging like 150s to 170s i think for first serves...
Venus and Ana are averaging like in the 180s.

i agree in your assessment.

personally i think that Davy is the best player in the world with a bad serve.

he hits the best angles in tennis. and has as much pure speed as nadal, also matching his stamina.

how can you not like someone thats a workhorse like him.

okdude1992
04-18-2009, 10:22 PM
true. like that fed match in the RG semis of 07 where davy lead in every set. its not like hes a total choker but he does have a hard time finishing it seems. Hes also super one dimensional. However I like davydenko. he takes the ball early which reminds me of agassi.

Andyk028
04-19-2009, 12:56 PM
flare? when did they start earning style points?

boring players.. murray, rafa, simon. do they get crap for not having "flare"?

players like monfils,murray, djokovic, nadal,verdasco they have flare..they bring something interesting to tennis..Im not saying Roger isnt interesting either, it just so happens he used to be so dominate it was boring to watch him humiliate other guys on the tour. Davy is a balding little squirrel with nice groundies..and thats it.

deltox
04-19-2009, 02:52 PM
players like monfils,murray, djokovic, nadal,verdasco they have flare..they bring something interesting to tennis..Im not saying Roger isnt interesting either, it just so happens he used to be so dominate it was boring to watch him humiliate other guys on the tour. Davy is a balding little squirrel with nice groundies..and thats it.

you forget a GREAT net game, insane angles, awesome wheels, pin point shot placement etc etc etc.

you dont like him, i get it, but can you leave the bias aside for a thread or two

All-rounder
04-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Its comments like this that have made davydenko so underrated over the years its a shame people can't see what he is capable of

saram
04-19-2009, 02:56 PM

+1

ten char.

Emelia21
04-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Its comments like this that have made davydenko so underrated over the years its a shame people can't see what he is capable of

What is he capable of then? :cry:

saram
04-19-2009, 03:24 PM
[/B]

You must not know much about him, unless you are just trolling.

All-rounder
04-19-2009, 03:25 PM
[/B]

well look at his accomplishments 2 masters paris miami plus master cup final also SF at US open and French open twice

Emelia21
04-19-2009, 03:29 PM
well look at his accomplishments 2 masters paris miami plus master cup final also SF at US open and French open twice

OK is that all he is capable then? nothing better (so far) :cry:

All-rounder
04-19-2009, 03:30 PM
OK is that all he is capable then? nothing better (so far) :cry:
so far he made to QF of monte carlo where it was his first tournament since master cup in 2008 which is impressive but people down that and still bash him

Andyk028
04-21-2009, 04:48 AM
Davydenko has skill..but lacks what other Top 10ers have. At the end of the day Davydenko will never win a Slam, which in my opinion makes a player much more noteworthy.

cknobman
04-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Davydenko is one of my favorites.

He is a player that truly maximized his ability. Consistently outgunned by bigger players Davy hangs in there with beautiful strokes.

tacou
04-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Davydenko has skill..but lacks what other Top 10ers have. At the end of the day Davydenko will never win a Slam, which in my opinion makes a player much more noteworthy.

who else in the top 10 has won a slam? fed nad nov. that's it.

orangettecoleman
04-21-2009, 10:16 PM

Roddick too. Unless his USO has been revoked by the TT posting community.

tacou
04-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Roddick too. Unless his USO has been revoked by the TT posting community.

oh my bad, certainly it counts.

still, my point is just cause Davy doesn't have a slam doesn't mean he isn't a legit top 10 player.

djones
04-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Davy is mentally weak in terms that he can't play two tournaments on the same level...
He would win one and then fail in the 1st round in next one. With his game and strokes he could have been much better player if there's no that mental part, he can't close the match, period.

anyway i would like to see him in semis of RG

I think his mental side let him down against Federer quite a few times.

veroniquem
04-22-2009, 02:45 PM
You forgot Roddick and Safin (I know he's not in the top 10 anymore but still...)

fastdunn
04-22-2009, 02:51 PM
I am afraid that Davydenko will have hard time to get back into top 5 (or even 6). And it will be increasingly harder to stay in top 10. Current top 15 are pretty strong now, IMHO.

Tennis360
04-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Davy is a consistent player.....in the top 10 for several years now...seems to be a nice, quiet guy too.....I always root for him (when he is not playing against my faves).

deltox
04-22-2009, 06:43 PM
davy is a guy who plays 25% above his skill level every match. sadly if his physical stature was on average with the rest of the field he would be a literal monster

mengpower
04-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Davydenko :cool: is great. No one hangs around the top 10 for a few years if they are not. So what if he hasn't won a slam, he still play awesome tennis.
Real serious tennis players or people who really play the game would know he is a good player. A lot of the pros on tour has problems playing him and even Nadal after Miami says " people may talk about Roger, Andy, Novak or me but all of us on tour know he is very good "

35ft6
04-27-2009, 07:16 PM
He may have the most economical game in tennis. Him or Nalbandian. I think only hardcore tennis fans really appreciate Davydenko though, his game is about purity. It's not very flashy but the way he keeps his strokes and footwork so clean... it's hypnotic.

At 100% he can beat any top 5 guy who is only playing under 95%. But the top guys, if they're playing their A games, just have an extra gear Davydenko doesn't have. But he is solid.

matchmaker
04-27-2009, 07:43 PM
He hits an absolutely clean ball. A sort of small (well even smaller) Agassi.

He does have a mental block against certain top players, especially against Federer. I remember him up a break every set and ending up losing, just like what happened against Murray.

Leublu tennis
04-27-2009, 11:13 PM
nope, but because he is always strangling to finish matches from beginning of his career.That makes him mentally weak. What if you turn it around and give him credit for perseverance to win games others might have lost.

Leublu tennis
04-27-2009, 11:16 PM
in the past 4 years noone has done well at slams but 2 peopleAnd Djokovic.

devila
04-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Of course, in Miami, Roddick praised Davydenko (who had a bigger racket) after he lost in the tiebreak the instant he let Davy hit the top of the net and skid the ball on the edge of the sideline. It made him Davydenko's whipping boy too. Unimagineable.

gj011
04-29-2009, 03:30 PM

And Djokovic.

Needs to be repeated, since people seem to ignore and forget the facts.