PDA

View Full Version : Will Nadal still be in the top 10 at age 27?

Sephiroth619
04-17-2009, 03:28 PM
What do you guys think?

I predict his body will malfunction at age 24-25, his rank will slip rapidly soon after.

VivalaVida
04-17-2009, 03:31 PM
No doubt. Possibly even number 1 if he remains injury free.

Serendipitous
04-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Time will tell......

CCNM
04-17-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm sure that by the time he's Roger's age some younger player will give him fits too.

rubberduckies
04-17-2009, 03:49 PM
What do you guys think?

I predict his body will malfunction at age 24-25, his rank will slip rapidly soon after.

One can only hope.

GameSampras
04-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Top 10 probably but not #1.

jman
04-17-2009, 03:55 PM
I would have said No 2-3 years ago, when his game was so physical. He has improved his game so much, not as physical as before. He'll definitely stay in the top 10 when he is 27, unless injury occurs, god forbid.

RoddickAce
04-17-2009, 03:58 PM
#1 or 2? Maybe. Top 10? Most probably.

Zaragoza
04-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Top 10 is not a goal for a number 1.

Chelsea_Kiwi
04-17-2009, 04:56 PM
No maybe top 50 if he is lucky. His game is still too physical.

P_Agony
04-17-2009, 04:59 PM
If Nadal is healthy and is still moving well, there is no reason why he shouldn't be a top 10 player. However, if he becomes slower and his movement begins to suffer, he won't be able to keep his #1 ranking, as his all game is built around his speed and movement.

jimbo333
04-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Top 10 probably but not #1.

Completely agree:)

I don't believe Nadal is going to do an Agassi or a Connors or a Laver etc, and play outstanding tennis in his 30's:):)

Chelsea_Kiwi
04-17-2009, 05:05 PM
If Nadal is healthy and is still moving well, there is no reason why he shouldn't be a top 10 player. However, if he becomes slower and his movement begins to suffer, he won't be able to keep his #1 ranking, as his all game is built around his speed and movement. Exactly and as the *******s tell us even now he is always tired and burnt-out in tournaments. 5 years on theres no way he can carry on like this.

fastdunn
04-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Top 10 ? yes. #1 probably no.

In today's tennis, the whole tour is one surface ranking, so to speak. The top dog takes nearly everything. So top player wins very concentrated array of slams (al la Federer and Nadal last one year or so). But the longevity of the player at the top spot will be relatively shorter than those of past.

For example, Federer won 13 slams in 5 year span (and I think he can still win a few more maybe next 1 or 2 years?)

Sampras won his 1st 13 slams over 10 years and his entire slams span 12 years....

Zaragoza
04-17-2009, 06:05 PM
A better question would be: what will Nadal have achieved at the age of 27?

T1000
04-17-2009, 06:07 PM
no. he's got this and next year. he plays too much physical tennis and will be done in 3-4 years.

jimbo333
04-17-2009, 06:11 PM
A better question would be: what will Nadal have achieved at the age of 27?

If that's what you are asking, I'd say about the same as Borg:)

And like Borg, he will have retired by then I reckon:)

Chelsea_Kiwi
04-17-2009, 06:13 PM
If that's what you are asking, I'd say about the same as Borg:)

And like Borg, he will have retired by then I reckon:) Exactly what I was thinking.

Safinator_1
04-17-2009, 06:16 PM
By age 25 he will be too burnt to display the dominance he is now. I will be very shocked if he can still keep up this level in 2011 onwards

ace58
04-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Are you guys that are saying that nadal won't be in the top 10 at the age of 27 also the same guys that said 3 years ago he would never win a grandslam other than the french? Borg was fit enough to keep going and win slams and he relied alot on hit fitness, he retired because he didn't feel like going on not because he lost a his fitness or athletisim, nadal is probably the most athletic guy that ever played, or one of the most and he isn't going to loose a considerable amout of it the moment he turns 27. Injuries is the only thing that he has to worry about and every player has the same worries.

deltox
04-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Are you guys that are saying that nadal won't be in the top 10 at the age of 27 also the same guys that said 3 years ago he would never win a grandslam other than the french? Borg was fit enough to keep going and win slams and he relied alot on hit fitness, he retired because he didn't feel like going on not because he lost a his fitness or athletisim, nadal is probably the most athletic guy that ever played, or one of the most and he isn't going to loose a considerable amout of it the moment he turns 27. Injuries is the only thing that he has to worry about and every player has the same worries.

this is soo far off the mark, you must be a young fellow to not understand the slowing of the human body that starts in the mid 20s., by 27 nadal will have spent his 3-5 years of physicality. actually by 25.

super physical players usually dont have long careers but acheieve alot in their short careers. i expect this to be his case to a T

ace58
04-17-2009, 07:20 PM
this is soo far off the mark, you must be a young fellow to not understand the slowing of the human body that starts in the mid 20s., by 27 nadal will have spent his 3-5 years of physicality. actually by 25.

super physical players usually dont have long careers but acheieve alot in their short careers. i expect this to be his case to a T

Correct me if I am wrong but super physical players don't win grandslams on 3 different surfaces. So lets not say that just because their arn't any players like nadal that have played consistantly for a long period of time that nadal won't. Yes the body does generally slow down at by mid 20s. But Maurice green ran the 100 meter in 9.79 seconds, at the age of 34 and and was only like .o1 seconds from his best that he recorded 10 years ago. So their are crazy exeption and we all know nadal is an exepctional player. If Nadal takes care of his body the way he has been he won't drop that much. And even if he did what make you think he won't adapt the way he has in imporving his game on all 3 surfaces.

deltox
04-17-2009, 07:28 PM
If Nadal takes care of his body the way he has been he won't drop that much.

great another nadal fanboi on the forums.. wheee hoo.. and stuff

nadal has NOT taken care of his body, filling his schedule to capacity year after year and pushing his body to the limit. are we watching the same tennis player?

how many 22 year olds you know with recurring tendonitis???? i can name.. um.. none that still are pro athletes.

ace58
04-17-2009, 07:41 PM
great another nadal fanboi on the forums.. wheee hoo.. and stuff

nadal has NOT taken care of his body, filling his schedule to capacity year after year and pushing his body to the limit. are we watching the same tennis player?

how many 22 year olds you know with recurring tendonitis???? i can name.. um.. none that still are pro athletes.

Alright you don't have to get in to low blows with fan boy stuff just calm down a little bit and talk about the issue that we are debating. I was just saying peoples claim that at 27 he will loose all his speed or most of it is a bit ridiculous. The claim about tendonitis is a good one but I wasn't debating that at all. you look at track and field and other sports people don't loose their speed that rapidly at the age of 27. And sports that are more physical than tennis.

deltox
04-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Alright you don't have to get in to low blows with fan boy stuff just calm down a little bit and talk about the issue that we are debating. I was just saying peoples claim that at 27 he will loose all his speed or most of it is a bit ridiculous. The claim about tendonitis is a good one but I wasn't debating that at all. you look at track and field and other sports people don't loose their speed that rapidly at the age of 27. And sports that are more physical than tennis.

try to understand and read some of the forums.. nadal fans think hes invincible.

you used track and field as a comparison for physical activities??? try baseball, its non contact with running mostly like tennis. base stealers loose a step well before 27, outfielders just cant seem to track down the same in the gap shots they used to. hes 22 and already feeling the effects of his physically demanding playstyle, at 27, who knows, but i will bet you he will be in pain alot after matches and recovery time will take 3 times as long. longer recovery times means less efficiency in tourneys.

King of Aces
04-17-2009, 07:50 PM
try to understand and read some of the forums.. nadal fans think hes invincible.

you used track and field as a comparison for physical activities??? try baseball, its non contact with running mostly like tennis. base stealers loose a step well before 27, outfielders just cant seem to track down the same in the gap shots they used to. hes 22 and already feeling the effects of his physically demanding playstyle, at 27, who knows, but i will bet you he will be in pain alot after matches and recovery time will take 3 times as long. longer recovery times means less efficiency in tourneys.

Federers problem is not physical....its mental.

I swear during the Warwinka match , Roger looked like he was about to breakdown and cry in the second set.

ace58
04-17-2009, 08:00 PM

I don't follow baseball that much to be honest but jimmy rollins last year had a career high 47 stolen bases at the age of thirty. I never said that people don't slow down a bit at the age of 27 but the fact remain the amount of time a person looses is up to the individual. I agree that their is a chance nadal can get injured I never denied that but people are saying it as a matter a fact that nadal will slow down considerably with or without without injury Which their is no proof of.
IMO I don't think nadal will be able to dominate the way federer did and consistantly make to the semis of these grand slams. But I do think many of the attacks nadal and his game has always been a bit ridiculous.

deltox
04-17-2009, 08:08 PM
I don't follow baseball that much to be honest but jimmy rollins last year had a career high 47 stolen bases at the age of thirty. I never said that people don't slow down a bit at the age of 27 but the fact remain the amount of time a person looses is up to the individual. I agree that their is a chance nadal can get injured I never denied that but people are saying it as a matter a fact that nadal will slow down considerably with or without without injury Which their is no proof of.
IMO I don't think nadal will be able to dominate the way federer did and consistantly make to the semis of these grand slams. But I do think many of the attacks nadal and his game has always been a bit ridiculous.

nadal peaked earlier in his career. thus hes playing at a higher level earlier in his career, thus he will decline earlier in his career. thats my logic behind it

ace58
04-17-2009, 08:10 PM
nadal peaked earlier in his career. thus hes playing at a higher level earlier in his career, thus he will decline earlier in his career. thats my logic behind it

Lol I actually agree with that. I don't think he will play at this level at the age of 27 either, but to say he won't be in the top 10 to me seems odd unless his injuries take a hold of him.

deltox
04-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Lol I actually agree with that. I don't think he will play at this level at the age of 27 either, but to say he won't be in the top 10 to me seems odd unless his injuries take a hold of him.

i never said he wouldnt remain in the top 10,, i think he could, barely, but furthermore i think after all his success he will retire once he cannot dominate anymore. once he cannot dominate everyone in the field anymore he might even have a mental breakdown much like fed has had in the past year.

once he slips outside the top 5 i see him retiring at the end of the year.,

King of Aces
04-17-2009, 08:26 PM
i never said he wouldnt remain in the top 10,, i think he could, barely, but furthermore i think after all his success he will retire once he cannot dominate anymore. once he cannot dominate everyone in the field anymore he might even have a mental breakdown much like fed has had in the past year.

once he slips outside the top 5 i see him retiring at the end of the year.,

The only reason Federer had a mental breakdown is because of Nadal. Federer never really had anyone challenge him. Until Rafa his biggest competition was Roddick.

Borg by analogy had the same circumstances. Bjorn had no real competition until Mcenroe. The differenc is that Borg simply quit

msc886
04-17-2009, 10:32 PM
I don't think he'll be no.1 but i think he'll stay in the top 10 because of clay where his heavy topspin will help him a lot and that the surface is not so hard on his knees as well as the slower surface.

Pirao
04-18-2009, 06:29 AM
What do you guys think?

I predict your brain will malfunction at age... no wait, it's already malfunctioning, never mind.

King of Aces
04-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Who cares??

At this rate by age 27 Nadal will add on another 15 slams for a total of 22 slams.

jimbo333
04-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Well enjoy watching Nadal now, because he just won't be around at the age of 27:)

He will have retired, probably due to lack of motivation, again, just like Borg:):)

GameSampras
04-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Watching Nadal now I just have this feeling that he has reached his full potential. Now that he has won a Hardcourt slam, Clay slam, Grass slam all in the span of a year, how in the hell is he going to top that? He may never get a USO. THat type of surface is just not friendly to Nadal. His game is a bit more neutralized. But he can stiill collect the slams at AO, Wimby, RG for a few more years. These next 2-3 years will prolly be his best years. From there on its going to be up in the air. Youre asking someone whos been around on top of the game since he was 17 or so to be dominate all the way into his late 20s with his style of game? I wouldnt count on that.

King of Aces
04-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Well enjoy watching Nadal now, because he just won't be around at the age of 27:)

He will have retired, probably due to lack of motivation, again, just like Borg:):)

Actually Fed and Borg are the ones that are pretty similar.

beckham
04-18-2009, 04:53 PM
With strong young players like Murray or Del Potro, it will be tough, although he may be able to.

clayman2000
04-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Watching Nadal now I just have this feeling that he has reached his full potential. Now that he has won a Hardcourt slam, Clay slam, Grass slam all in the span of a year, how in the hell is he going to top that? He may never get a USO. THat type of surface is just not friendly to Nadal. His game is a bit more neutralized. But he can stiill collect the slams at AO, Wimby, RG for a few more years. These next 2-3 years will prolly be his best years. From there on its going to be up in the air. Youre asking someone whos been around on top of the game since he was 17 or so to be dominate all the way into his late 20s with his style of game? I wouldnt count on that.

I think he has a better shot at winning it than Djokovic and Murray. He has 5 Hardcourt Shields, just as many as Djokovic and Murray combined.
In fact i prefer to watch him on HC than on Clay. On clay he just grinds is out and counterpunches..... but on the HC, he moves the ball around attacking whenever he can... just picking the open parts of the court. The only guy who can do that anywhere near as good as him now is Murray. So if Nadal can avoid Murray before the USO final... hed have a great shot

egn
04-18-2009, 08:47 PM

Yea even if he doesn't wear out he will burn out by than. He will have clocked in a ton of matches by 24 or 25.. a lot more than Fed has clocked in. By 24 or 25 I will say he has played as many matches as Fed at 27 or 28.

Turning Pro
04-18-2009, 09:24 PM

Just like Federer could NEVER top his 2004 season right................oh wait.......

Safinator_1
04-19-2009, 02:29 AM
If this would be the caase Nadal has probably only got this and next season to cement his legacy and claim among the all time greats. Time is ticking make the best of what you got

TennisandMusic
04-19-2009, 02:42 AM
The question is a bit silly, as it's obviously trying to make a comparison to Federer's current struggles. It's a bit of a "Oh yeah well do you think NADAL will still be as good at this age?! I bet he won't even be in the top 10!" comment, and it's hard to miss really.

What's funny though is how, obviously, Nadal is bugging some people. But I guess that's fair since I never thought Federer was that appealing. However if Nadal somehow manages to be at the top of the game at 27, that would be one heck of a run. I don't think many players manage 10 years at the top or so. He's been at the top with Federer since 2005 (and beat Federer every year since 2004) so, to continue that way until 2014 or so? Pretty much too good for any player to hope for.

I personally hope he can enjoy another year or two at the very top, but with Murray and who knows who else coming up, it will be tough. If he can get 10 majors in his career, I think that would be great.

Safinator_1
04-19-2009, 02:58 AM
If at the ungodly like chance he somehow someway still manage to maintain this form to 27. I will proclaim him the GOAT without question IMHO, but again i don't want to say impossible but the closest thing to absolute impossible that will likely happen with Nadal

alonsin
04-19-2009, 05:16 AM
I'm sure Nadal will be around when he's 27. Even if he could only play on clay and grass, he'll earn enough points to be in the top 10, which is pretty cheap. Nowadays, if you win a Masters Series you're almost in the top 10. Nadal might not be the unstoppable force on clay he's now, but I don't think his level in clay will slip so much, and there are a lot of points awarded in the clay season.

GameSampras
04-19-2009, 06:32 AM
Just like Federer could NEVER top his 2004 season right................oh wait.......

The competition is already better than the 2004 trash year, which was pretty subpar at best competition wise. Filled with brokeback hacks like Roddick, Declining Hewitt, 3000 year old Agassi etc. Nadal is going to have competition that is leagues better than Fed's ever was (04-07) by his mid to late 20s.

jimbo333
04-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Actually Fed and Borg are the ones that are pretty similar.

I don't disagree, but think Nadal will also go the same way in 2 or 3 years:)

Unfortunately the days of players playing at the top level in their mid 30's are over:(

I don't think we will see the likes of Connors, Agassi, Laver, Rosewall etc ever again!!!

deltox
04-19-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm sure Nadal will be around when he's 27. Even if he could only play on clay and grass, he'll earn enough points to be in the top 10, which is pretty cheap. Nowadays, if you win a Masters Series you're almost in the top 10. Nadal might not be the unstoppable force on clay he's now, but I don't think his level in clay will slip so much, and there are a lot of points awarded in the clay season.

i dont think you can remain top 10 by only playing clay and grass.. you can do it only playing HCs (see roddick) but there is tons of HC events and only a short clay season and a handful of grass events

All-rounder
04-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Clay and grass will keep nadal's hopes of being in the top 10 at age 27 alive but hardcourts will kill him and nadal in my opinion has peaked quite early and i definitely don't see him playing in his 30's those days are over i think Federer may be the last to do it but as Federer for nadal he will lose a step at 27 and have more injuries on top of the ones he has at his young ages so he will have to re-schedule heavily and not chase each master shield. Remember we can call our favourite players GODS but there is one thing they can't escape from and that is AGE

Then you have to consider who nadal is playing with Murray novak del potro monfils possibly a couple more players we haven't heard of yet guys that will stick around for the whole of nadal's career

Fedace
04-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I think it is a GREAT sign that Rafa is not wearing the knee tape on clay courts. that probably means his knees aren't that bad. which in turn means, he can play much longer and we will see more Rafa and his greatness...

DavidGarcia
04-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I dont see him as number one but still on the top 10 and still winning clay court titles.

King of Aces
04-19-2009, 04:31 PM
I think it is a GREAT sign that Rafa is not wearing the knee tape on clay courts. that probably means his knees aren't that bad. which in turn means, he can play much longer and we will see more Rafa and his greatness...

I think he just wears the tape for hard courts.