PDA

View Full Version : what pros dont use a paint job

L.M.F PRECISION
04-18-2009, 02:08 AM
i know that filippo volandri used to use a actual flexpoint prestige but apart from that i dont know any others.

ckledzepplin
04-18-2009, 06:12 PM
federer uses a real k90
roddick used a real PDRC, but now uses the new pure drive that isn't out yet.
del potro uses a real k61 95
sampras uses a k88
most of them use the real frames they say they do, but a few like nadal don't

T1000
04-18-2009, 06:15 PM
i think hewitt uses a real rdis 100 mid. not sure though, i know he used a real rqis 1 tour in the summer of 07

nadalfan!
04-18-2009, 06:17 PM
federer uses a real k90
sampras uses a k88

Nadal's racquet is pretty much the same one as they advertise. The cortex is just 'technology' that doesn't really do anything.

JediMindTrick
04-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Federer uses a real K90
Nadal uses an Apd but that's pretty close to the Apdc. The same for Roddick, technicaly a paint job but pretty close to the real one.
Nalby uses a real RDiS 100 MP.
Hewitt uses a real RDiS 100 mid.
Monfils uses a real EXO Rebel.
Davydenko used to use a real Ozone Pro Tour.
Ferrero used to use a real POG LB, I don't know what he uses now.

I think there are many more pros that don't use paintjobs, like the Brians and others.

Mastadon_10S
04-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Federer uses a real K90
Nadal uses an Apd but that's pretty close to the Apdc. The same for Roddick, technicaly a paint job but pretty close to the real one.

I think there are many more pros that don't use paintjobs, like the Brians and others.

03 tour i think

star 5 15
04-18-2009, 07:04 PM
fed def pj
roddick no cortex
nadal apd 1st gen...no cortex

S H O W S T O P P E R !
04-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Federer uses a real K90

Roddick's racket is a bit heavier than the stock 11.7, but other than that it's the same as the one TW sells.

kfactor/all/the/WAY!
04-18-2009, 07:53 PM
whoa whoa whoa. i thought we agreed that federer uses a prostaff 90 with a pj

Blake uses custom mold

featherlight
04-18-2009, 10:20 PM
i think nalby and hewitt both use PJs

Josherer
04-19-2009, 12:45 AM
fed uses the K90

xanger
04-19-2009, 02:07 AM
federer uses a real k90
its been confirmed

i think he played better with the ncode thought; his shots had less spin but penetrated the court more

crazylevity
04-19-2009, 02:15 AM
The only pro I remember without a paintjob is Mark Philippousis. He blacked out his Head Prestige when his contract expired so as not to give any free publicity.

All other pros use a paintjob on their racquet.

gymrat76
04-19-2009, 04:50 AM
I thought Volandri plays w/ PT57 (?)
Well he is not that good anymore. choked against Simon Greul.

gymrat76
04-19-2009, 04:53 AM
Nadal's racquet is pretty much the same one as they advertise. The cortex is just 'technology' that doesn't really do anything.

Nadal plays w/ APD, not the advertised APDC.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=251706
The cortex is just "paint" on his rcqt

nadal for number1
04-19-2009, 10:52 AM
yea nadal plays with the old aero pro drive w/o the cortex

Motherwasp
04-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Wawrinka real MGP MP???

L.M.F PRECISION
04-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Wawrinka real MGP MP???

He actually uses a microgel prestige pro with a microgel prestige mp paintjob.

JediMindTrick
04-19-2009, 12:20 PM
i think nalby and hewitt both use PJs

Nope, Hewitt's racquet has 20 crosses like the RDiS 100, no more Super RD Tour 90 PJ. Nalbandian's racquet has the H throat so it can't be a PJ.

Motherwasp
04-19-2009, 12:37 PM

Ah yes, i remember seeing that on here now. Congratulations on getting your name blue!

Karma_struggle
04-19-2009, 12:46 PM
whoa whoa whoa. i thought we agreed that federer uses a prostaff 90 with a pj

Blake uses custom mold

This dead horse has been beaten into dog food by now. Multiple sources have confirmed that Federer uses a k90.

JediMindTrick
04-19-2009, 05:47 PM

Ok, now this doesn't make any sense, is Head marketing run by ******s?

viktorkwan
04-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Nope, Hewitt's racquet has 20 crosses like the RDiS 100, no more Super RD Tour 90 PJ. Nalbandian's racquet has the H throat so it can't be a PJ.

Nalbandian's racket is not a PJ, but it is extended.

L.M.F PRECISION
04-20-2009, 12:17 AM
Congratulations on getting your name blue!

thank alot

alextennis0805
04-20-2009, 08:47 AM
feds racquet cant be the k90 if you look at his buttcap he has the old buttcap on it not the new one

Danstevens
04-20-2009, 09:53 AM
feds racquet cant be the k90 if you look at his buttcap he has the old buttcap on it not the new one

This has been discussed before too.

Priority One have some of the old buttcaps left over and so when they put Fed's custom shaped handle on, they use the old buttcaps to "get rid" of them. It has been said that (by P1) that when they run out, they expect Fed to move over to the new buttcap.

L.M.F PRECISION
04-20-2009, 10:07 AM

I know its really stupid you would think that they would wont someone to use a prestige pro paintjob for marketing

Fliparoni
04-20-2009, 02:08 PM

But aren't the paintjobs of the MG PP and the MG MP the same thing? If I remember correctly, they both same mid-plus on their frames, they both have the same color schemes. The only difference between the two is the weight and the string pattern, both of which have nothing to do with the paint job. Does the MGPP have the word 'Pro' written somewhere on it?

Fliparoni
04-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Haha, actually nevermind, the Pro does have 'Pro' written on it.

nadal for number1
04-20-2009, 06:35 PM

why head would do that i have no idea... when they could straight up advertise his REAL racket

DNShade
04-20-2009, 07:12 PM

You do realize the the buttcap has NOTHING to do with the actual racket right? They could put on a Babolat buttcap but that doesn't make it a APD with a PJ. Still the same racket.

Danstevens is dead right. It's just P1 using the old buttcaps when they do Fed's handle work. Nothing more. It's been confirmed by multiple people in the know that it's a real K90, so we can all just let that rest okay?

JediMindTrick
04-21-2009, 07:17 AM
why head would do that i have no idea... when they could straight up advertise his REAL racket

Ah, but then that would make sense, no?

chief wiggum
04-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Ignoring what frame they use, all their racquets are heavily customized.

DonBot
04-21-2009, 02:35 PM
You can even tell nadal's cortex is painted on in the giant picture of him up right now on tennis warehouse's home page. LOL

nadal for number1
04-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Ah, but then that would make sense, no?

lol niceee... and true!

HEADidas
04-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Haha, actually nevermind, the Pro does have 'Pro' written on it.

Yea the pro also has a black throat whereas the MP has a red throat like the mid

Matty G
04-22-2009, 04:01 AM
Im pretty shure John Isner uses an 03 White just has the weight customized.

JediMindTrick
04-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Im pretty shure John Isner uses an 03 White just has the weight customized.

I think most Prince players are not using PJs.

LPShanet
04-22-2009, 05:25 PM
federer uses a real k90
sampras uses a k88

A bit of misinfo here with respect to Roddick. It's not a PDRC at all. It's an old PD (pre-cortex) with paint. Sorry, this one doesn't qualify.

LPShanet
04-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Federer uses a real K90

In the interest of answering the original post, I think we need to agree on a definition of "paint job". Personally, I'd refer to anything other than the stock frame (with only after-market modifications) as a paintjob. Being "similar" doesn't make something not a paint job. After all, the Wilson K's are arguably similar to the N's and for that matter to the Pro Staff Classics. The Head Prestiges (FP, LM, MG, and all the older versions) are all "similar", but they're not the same. And painting one to look like another is a paint job.

With that said, most of the above examples aren't valid. Nadal's racquet IS a paint job in the classic sense of the word. He uses an older model painted to look like the current version. Simple as that. Although Cortex itself is more marketing than technology, the APDC does play differently from the original APD. Roddick's racquet is also a total paint job. He doesn't use the PDR at all. He uses the original PD, which has a totally different weight, balance, swingweight and flex. Even if he customizes it to a place pretty close to the PDR, it's still a total paint job: he's using a different racquet (and one you can't get) painted to look like a stock model.

Nalby's frame is more of a gray area. While he may be using the mold and layup of an RDiS 100, his frame has been extended and customized at the factory not a customizer, and the frame he uses isn't available to the public. I can't speak to Hewitt's frame because I honestly don't know what he's using right now. Will try to find out.

The Prince guys are better examples of non paintjob pros (as far as we know).

NB: You can assume that very few of Wilson or Head's high level pros are using stock frames. Most of theirs come from the companies' respective pro rooms, and are based on different layups from the stock stuff. Unless you see a "made in China" stamped on a Head pro's frame, you shouldn't assume it's a stock Microgel Whatever even if it looks like one.

binomialtheory
04-22-2009, 05:39 PM
But aren't the paintjobs of the MG PP and the MG MP the same thing? If I remember correctly, they both same mid-plus on their frames, they both have the same color schemes. The only difference between the two is the weight and the string pattern, both of which have nothing to do with the paint job. Does the MGPP have the word 'Pro' written somewhere on it?

actually, the MGPP has black stripes on the top of the racquet, whereas the MGP MP has white ones.

crazylevity
04-25-2009, 10:43 PM

When I first found that out, I went WTF as well, but have a look at the other HEAD pros. Murray-using Prestige Pro, Radical Pro pj. Djokovic-used to use a LM Radical, would have been simple just giving him his old racquet and a Radical pj. But no, they come up with the Speed Pro, which they market as his racquet but has a different beam width and string pattern.

What gives?

chief wiggum
04-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Regardless of what frame they use, very few of their racquets are stock anyways.

featherlight
04-27-2009, 04:50 AM
santoro does not use a PJ because he is no longer sponsored by HEAD

hyperthom007
04-30-2009, 10:57 AM
These Pjs manage to fool many people into buying their frames. They may be silly to us but it is doing them wonders LoL!

hondas2k
04-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Nadal plays w/ APD, not the advertised APDC.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=251706
The cortex is just "paint" on his rcqt
how do you know cortex is just "paint"? which pics should i look closer?

LPShanet
05-01-2009, 08:05 PM
how do you know cortex is just "paint"? which pics should i look closer?

Do a search. There are many examples on these threads. Real cortex is raised and you can see the edges of where it starts and ends on a closeup shot. Rafa's racquet clearly has it just painted on, as he's using the old Aeropro Drive.

Mdubb23
05-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Federer uses a real K90

Once again, this is basically all invalid information. Federer uses a similar racquet to the K90--same string pattern, similar stiffness, similar weight, but the string spacing is different. Nadal uses an APD mold, but is a good 25 grams heavier. Roddick uses an old Pure drive mold, the "swirly," but about 45 grams heavier. Nalbandian uses a 28 inch custom Yonex mold. Hewitt uses the old Super RD Tour 90. Monfils uses a custom Prince mold, but with the EXO3 holes, so I can see how you might think it would be a Rebel. Davydenko, I am not completely sure about currently, but, yes, he used to use an Ozone Pro Tour mold, but 30 grams heavier. Ferrero uses a custom 28 inch Prince mold, which is somewhat similar to the POG Longbody, but a bit stiffer. Overall, with all due respect, you really do not know what you are talking about.

babolatking
05-03-2009, 02:45 PM
most players with 03's use the same thing, im wondering if davydenko use a pj of the 0zone tour but actually uses the regular one

Franz
05-03-2009, 03:15 PM
gonzales as far as i can tell babolat pure storm?

S H O W S T O P P E R !
05-03-2009, 05:05 PM
This dead horse has been beaten into dog food by now. Multiple sources have confirmed that Federer uses a k90.

Wait, they use dead horses as dog food? :confused:

Nanshiki
05-03-2009, 05:08 PM
The guy who just beat James Blake at Rome was using an OLD Pure Drive Team, without a Babolat stencil (not sponsored).

I thought that was amusing...

Mansewerz
05-03-2009, 05:16 PM

It's probably similar to what they did with Murray.

Murray was using a prestige pro, but they advertised him using the Radical pro.

Why? Because the radicals have always been Head's top selling line (thank you Andre!).

Now not all of them can use the radicals, can they? So they use the next best selling line, the prestiges. I think more people use the MG Prestige MP because a) It's lighter b) it has more history behind it.

So they give Wawrinka the MP pj.

Just my 2 cents.

Mansewerz
05-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Once again, this is basically all invalid information. Federer uses a similar racquet to the K90--same string pattern, similar stiffness, similar weight, but the string spacing is different. Nadal uses an APD mold, but is a good 25 grams heavier. Roddick uses an old Pure drive mold, the "swirly," but about 45 grams heavier. Nalbandian uses a 28 inch custom Yonex mold. Hewitt uses the old Super RD Tour 90. Monfils uses a custom Prince mold, but with the EXO3 holes, so I can see how you might think it would be a Rebel. Davydenko, I am not completely sure about currently, but, yes, he used to use an Ozone Pro Tour mold, but 30 grams heavier. Ferrero uses a custom 28 inch Prince mold, which is somewhat similar to the POG Longbody, but a bit stiffer. Overall, with all due respect, you really do not know what you are talking about.

I dunno if Nadal's stick is 25 grams heavier.

http://hdtennis.com/grs/pro_racquet_specs/200703nadal_babolat.html

12 grams heavier, but tis old. Also, what's with the discrepancy with the USRSA and TW? 17 g difference?

Solid Ace
05-03-2009, 05:23 PM

gonzalez uses an old pure control plus from what I've read around here.

Mdubb23
05-03-2009, 07:50 PM
I dunno if Nadal's stick is 25 grams heavier.

http://hdtennis.com/grs/pro_racquet_specs/200703nadal_babolat.html

12 grams heavier, but tis old. Also, what's with the discrepancy with the USRSA and TW? 17 g difference?

I heard from a reliable source that Nadal added about 15 grams between the '07 US Open and '08 Australian Open. Great find though, Greg's site, I had not come across that. And also a good point about the weight discrepancy--speaks to Babolat's poor quality control.

LPShanet
05-04-2009, 02:10 PM

Nope, as stated previously, it's an older generation Pure Control Plus, with a Pure Storm paint job.

adlis
05-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Nicolas Devilder ATP RANK 60 REAL CORTEX

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Nicolas-devilder.png (http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/players/playerprofiles/?playernumber=D469)

drgreenthumb
05-09-2009, 07:32 AM
federer uses a real k90
its been confirmed

i think he played better with the ncode thought; his shots had less spin but penetrated the court more

he went over to my crowd after practice and took his racket with him. It was not a real k90 but the n90. of course, someone wanted his racket but he just smiled.

Lefty78
05-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Most of the pro's who don't use pj's are still young enough that their frames haven't been discontinued.

Lefty78
05-09-2009, 06:11 PM
The amount of people on this site who care so much about something they don't know about is dumbfounding. This includes, almost particularly, the people who are criticizing others for ignorance. I was going to quote a few, but there were too many.

OliverSimon
05-09-2009, 08:05 PM
santoro does not use a PJ because he is no longer sponsored by HEAD

ya they discontinued his PJing and im pretty sure he uses a custom elongated mold

dr325i
07-04-2009, 08:58 AM
I thought Volandri plays w/ PT57 (?)
Well he is not that good anymore. choked against Simon Greul.

I think Volandri plays with the TGK238.1 (MG Prestige MP), not the PT57

OliverSimon
07-04-2009, 10:55 AM
dimitrov used the real Mg prestige mid

cork_screw
07-16-2009, 06:35 PM
I believe all those are wrong. roddick's cortex was painted on, he still uses the original. If you don't know please do not comment.

federer uses a real k90
sampras uses a k88

cork_screw
07-16-2009, 06:35 PM
He uses the Super RD Tour. It's common knowledge amongst most people on this forum.

i think hewitt uses a real rdis 100 mid. not sure though, i know he used a real rqis 1 tour in the summer of 07

kevo82
01-23-2010, 12:12 AM

Ferrero plays with Ozone Tour since the beginning of 2008 I think.

I don't think that Ozones have PJ, so I think he uses the real one.
Also I am wondering if it's stock Ozone Tour, or a customized one.
I don't think that this stick can be customized, because of the wholes, you can't add lead...maybe in the handle but I don't think so.
I know that he replaced the rubber grommets with the plastic ones. If anybody knows the strings tension, please post. what I know is thet uses Luxilon big banger 26/25 kg tension.

In 2004 I met Juan Carlos at Equelite. I spoke about his racquets with his physiotherapist Victor Moreno Munoz, and he told me that he used the real ones.
At that time, he was using Prince Triple Threat Graphite, but Prince made him switch to NXG that he hated and played a big part of his decline at that time.

Beside that, I've seen Antonio, Ferrero's coach, unsealing for him, a stock Prince Graphite during a training session.

LPShanet
01-23-2010, 02:56 AM
Also I am wondering if it's stock Ozone Tour, or a customized one.
I don't think that this stick can be customized, because of the wholes, you can't add lead...maybe in the handle but I don't think so.

It's a customized one. It is definitely possible to customize the Ozone Tour (and pretty much any stick, actually). There are many possible places to put lead, including the handle, the bumperguard at the top of the head, and the sides, where the frame is colored silver. Depending on how much you want to add, you can layer it, too. For reference, the stock specs of the Ozone Tour are listed as 330g weight 32.15 balance and 326 swingweight. Juan Carlos's specs at the US Open were 353g weight, 33cm balance and 356 swingweight, so clearly weight has been added in the head.

ngtaj88
01-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Ferrero plays with Ozone Tour since the beginning of 2008 I think.

At that time, he was using Prince Triple Threat Graphite, but Prince made him switch to NXG that he hated and played a big part of his decline at that time.

Ferrero never used the NXG. It was always a paintjob. The decline of his career came when he was ill in the beginning of '05 and switched to HEAD.

kevo82
01-23-2010, 09:20 AM
It's a customized one. It is definitely possible to customize the Ozone Tour (and pretty much any stick, actually). There are many possible places to put lead, including the handle, the bumperguard at the top of the head, and the sides, where the frame is colored silver. Depending on how much you want to add, you can layer it, too. For reference, the stock specs of the Ozone Tour are listed as 330g weight 32.15 balance and 326 swingweight. Juan Carlos's specs at the US Open were 353g weight, 33cm balance and 356 swingweight, so clearly weight has been added in the head.

You are wrong about Ozone Tour specs. I have 2 of them and they have 310g unstrung, and 295 swingweight. This is what is written on the racquet throat. On TW site, the specs were 326g and 321 swingweight.
Can you show me where are the specs from US Open?

Unfortunately, I can't attach photos (48posts only), because I could have shown you a picture of JC with the Ozone Tour.

here you are, actually: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=255145&highlight=mosquito

I can't see any lead on that stick. I can see only that he changed the rubber grommets.
I am telling you, I see no silver on my Ozones. Only some thin lines on the sides, near the O-ports, where the color is white.

The only place where he could add weight, is in the handle, but I doubt, because this stick is horribly head light. If he added silicone in the handle, it would be even more head light.

I would like to see some proves regarding his customized Ozones.

pstar
01-23-2010, 09:48 AM
You are wrong about Ozone Tour specs.

I think he uses the ozone pro tour, and not the ozone tour :)

kevo82
01-23-2010, 09:51 AM
I think he uses the ozone pro tour, and not the ozone tour :)

He uses Ozone Tour. Look at the picture from the thread that I posted. It's 18x16, like the Ozone Tour

LPShanet
01-23-2010, 11:50 AM
You are wrong about Ozone Tour specs. I have 2 of them and they have 310g unstrung, and 295 swingweight. This is what is written on the racquet throat. On TW site, the specs were 326g and 321 swingweight.
Can you show me where are the specs from US Open?

I can't see any lead on that stick. I can see only that he changed the rubber grommets.

The only place where he could add weight, is in the handle, but I doubt, because this stick is horribly head light. If he added silicone in the handle, it would be even more head light.

You can start out by looking at the USRSA site. The Ozone base specs came from there, although TW has slightly different ones, due to Prince's typically crap quality control. But since we're all within about 5 grams strung, which is closer than Prince's own tolerances, I'd say everyone is in agreement about the base specs. You can find JC's specs in a few threads on the site, or in various tournament stringer logs. There is no way to achieve them on a stock frame without adding some weight to the head.

Just because you can't see lead, doesn't mean it's not there. Under the grommets is the most common, but also inside the frame is possible.