PDA

View Full Version : Silly question, don't laugh

Haztrick
04-18-2009, 04:56 AM
I was sitting with my brother in law tonight..

He was saying that the racquets that the pro's use out on the court, for example Nadal obviously uses the Babolat APDC, are the same ones you can buy in stores.

I said that no, the racquets they use are far more expensive. I'm not talking about the way they have it strung or gripped or whatever, I'm talking about the actual frame. If I went into the sports shop and spent $350 on the Babolat APDC it wouldn't be the same as the one Nadal uses, would it?

We got into a big argument and ended up having a bet :p

So can someone please settle this for us? Sorry for such a silly question, however I'm no tennis pro so I'm not sure.

Kaptain Karl
04-18-2009, 05:27 AM
First, welcome to TT.

The answer to your question is "Yes" ... and "No". (Big help, huh?)

Many of the Pros play with what starts out as the same frame you or I buy from Tennis Warehouse. But they tweak all kinds of things to customize their stick. They add lead tape in various places, to give more heft or change the balance. They have the grips custom molded to their personal preference. They use their own personal combinations of strings.

Some of the top Pros' frames are actually custom molded by the maker. (Agassi didn't play with a frame you could buy off the rack. A few other players' "custom molds" are highly speculated about on TT.)

So you and your B-I-L are both right....

- KK

Haztrick
04-18-2009, 05:34 AM
Thanks a lot mate, I really appreciate it. Thanks :)

dextor
04-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Don't forget that Nadal doesn't really play with the APDC, it's painted to look like one. He most likely plays with the previous version that Babolat discontinued.

Refer to this thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=251706

Kaptain Karl
04-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Yes. "Paint Job" (PJ) refers to a racket (usually a much older model the Pro likes) painted to look like the newer model the maker is trying to sell.

Sometimes, the PJ isn't even made by the same sponsoring company. So player "X" uses a Prince painted to look like a Head(!). But Head is the company paying "X" to promote the frame, so "X's" Prince "Poof!" becomes a Head.

- KK

sureshs
04-18-2009, 10:21 AM
I was sitting with my brother in law tonight..

He was saying that the racquets that the pro's use out on the court, for example Nadal obviously uses the Babolat APDC, are the same ones you can buy in stores.

I said that no, the racquets they use are far more expensive. I'm not talking about the way they have it strung or gripped or whatever, I'm talking about the actual frame. If I went into the sports shop and spent $350 on the Babolat APDC it wouldn't be the same as the one Nadal uses, would it?

We got into a big argument and ended up having a bet :p

So can someone please settle this for us? Sorry for such a silly question, however I'm no tennis pro so I'm not sure.

Both of you are right and wrong.

Those pro racquets which are fundamentally different from the stock ones are not just more expensive - you cannot buy them at all. They are specially made with differences in string hole pattern, flexibility, weight distribution, length etc and sent to the player directly.

In this category, you can include older models which are not available to the public any more. They are paintjobbed to look like the newer version which the company is marketing. Many pros prefer to use the same model for years as they are grooved into it.

Those pro racquets which are not specially made are nothing more than stock racquets which have been customized a little. The stock racquets may be chosen carefully for better adherence to the specs, then customized by adding lead tape here and there, a custom grip, and other minor changes. Sometimes the lead tape is visible, sometimes the customization is done in a way that it looks just like a stock racquet on the outside.

alextennis0805
04-18-2009, 10:32 AM
i dont think any pro plays with a racquet that can be bought from tw.every pro has like something customized for them.

SonRK
04-19-2009, 02:19 AM
But you will be pleased to know that it has been found out that Federer actually plays with a K90 that you would be able to be picked up at stores (of course with MUCH higher quality control)