04-18-2009, 09:35 AM
http://www.newsweek.com/id/194479

I thought this was a great article.

Nice Shot Greg
04-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Newsweek is a glorified tabloid.

CyBorg
04-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Nadal has a better forehand, now? No way. Not comparing to Federer's peak forehand.

asafi2
04-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Nadal has a better forehand, now? No way. Not comparing to Federer's peak forehand.

I agree. Especially after re-watching his TMC final against Agassi in '03...his forehand was out of this world.

Cesc Fabregas
04-18-2009, 09:48 AM

Nadal certainly has a better forehand now.

tennis_hand
04-18-2009, 09:49 AM

yep.

nadal's forehand is good if you talk about him moonballing every defensive shot. it's true he doesn't make many errors on his forehand, but UEs are not the whole evaluation of a forehand.

VivalaVida
04-18-2009, 09:51 AM
yep.

nadal's forehand is good if you talk about him moonballing every defensive shot. it's true he doesn't make many errors on his forehand, but UEs are not the whole evaluation of a forehand.

:rolleyes: wow. That is pretty ignorant statement. That forehand of nadal is a major weapon for both offense and defense.

maximo
04-18-2009, 09:51 AM

Fed's nowhere near his peak, is he? :roll:

theZig
04-18-2009, 09:52 AM
yep.

Watch Nadal live. You'll never say that again; and if you do, stop using drugs!

tennisdad65
04-18-2009, 09:59 AM
The article makes it seem like Fed is gonna pull a 'David Duval' on us. I think he is just working on individual parts of his game in these small events. Right now he seems disinterested. He will be back in top form by Wimby and USO.

LanceStern
04-18-2009, 10:25 AM
never mind

I have such a problem with any commentator, fan, etc. calling any great athelete "a (insert sport here) God".
Irks me to no end

Anyways, I like this part of the article:
Perfection in sports, or any other realm, for that matter, has been given to few, and even then it is never an outright gift but more on the order of a temporary loan. Athletes may hold it on the briefest terms of all. Although I hope that I am completely wrong, and that Roger Federer comes roaring back to win many more Grand Slams, my ineluctable sense is that, for this great athlete whose skill has given me so much pleasure, the loan is due and payback time, sadly, is at hand.

sureshs
04-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Nadal is a better player than Fed. It is very simple.

tangerine
04-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Ridiculous bathos.

CyBorg
04-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Fed's nowhere near his peak, is he? :roll:

The article is talking about peak forehand.

Shaolin
04-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Nadal is a better player than Fed. It is very simple.

No he's not. Its very simple.

CCNM
04-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Glad to hear my all-time favorite American Football player Joe Montana mentioned in the same breath as Federer!!!!:oops::oops:

Mastadon_10S
04-18-2009, 03:04 PM
That first sentence of the last paragraph on page 1 is BOGUS!

lordmanji
04-18-2009, 03:08 PM
yeap, fed's forehand has clearly been more inconsistent. nadal rarely misses with his fh now and can track balls down where before guys could hit through it and expect an error or short ball. also, nadal's bh has become no longer a liability but a weapon which strips roger of a place to place the ball. if i emphasize nadal here, its because his rise is directly related to fed's demise. i will say though that fed's forehand has been on the decline since indian wells in 07 against canas. thats where i first noticed it went inconsistent and while he's had bright spots at the us open and a match here and there for the entire length of the match, largely match to match it has broken down especially the forehand on the deuce side.

veroniquem
04-18-2009, 03:09 PM
My favorite sentence in the whole article is "of late, Sparta has been beating the hell out of Athens" :)

miniRafa386
04-18-2009, 03:09 PM
great article- love the comparison of sparta and athens to rog/rafa

rubberduckies
04-18-2009, 03:10 PM
This is an article written by a ******* for *******s. He clearly doesn't even follow the sport because he assumes that nobody knows who Wawrinka is.

deltox
04-18-2009, 03:12 PM
i personally consider feds forehand in his prime to be the best in tennis history, so i cant agree that rafas is better. rafa doesnt "hit winners" per say, he keeps the ball in play incredibly tho.

deltox
04-18-2009, 03:12 PM
This is an article written by a ******* for *******s. He clearly doesn't even follow the sport because he assumes that nobody knows who Wawrinka is.

the average non forums only sees it on tv tennis fan in america has no clue who stan is.

tennis-hero
04-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Nadal has a more devastating forehand.

fail sentence= fail

Might it be that Roger Federer, having attained perfection, has nowhere to go but down?

how can you have achieved perfection if you lost EVERY clay match versus your biggest rival during your peak years? 05-06

that isn't perfection, he always had areas to work on

Chelsea_Kiwi
04-18-2009, 04:34 PM
i personally consider feds forehand in his prime to be the best in tennis history, so i cant agree that rafas is better. rafa doesnt "hit winners" per say, he keeps the ball in play incredibly tho. Yes I agree with that Nadals forehand is good but prime Feds is better.

jrod
04-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Not a great article...nothing here is news and it's poorly constructed. If only David Foster Wallace were able to comment on the current state of Federer's game...now that would be worth reading.