PDA

View Full Version : What does Fed or Nadal need to do to surpass Laver?

GameSampras
04-18-2009, 01:15 PM
What you guys think these two need for the remainder of their career to surpass Laver who many widely regard as the GOAT and is possible both can do so?

CyBorg
04-18-2009, 01:16 PM
We've already had threads on this.

GameSampras
04-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Well.. I didnt see them. Sorry

deltox
04-18-2009, 03:05 PM
fed needs to win RG once and take 2 more GS total, nadal need to win the USO and compile another 7 GS in addition to the ones he has plus the one USO i mentioned earlier. Nadal also needs to keep #1 for this year and next year and at least part of one more year.

thats how it stacks up for me.

gj011
04-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Win at least one calendar slam and enough amount of total slam titles (> 15)

VivalaVida
04-18-2009, 03:08 PM
I dont think Laver is the GOAT. Sampras was better.

pc1
04-18-2009, 03:28 PM
What you guys think these two need for the remainder of their career to surpass Laver who many widely regard as the GOAT and is possible both can do so?

Very hard. Let's look at Laver's accomplishments-Almost 200 tournament victories. I think it's at 199. Three Grand Slams, one amateur, one Open Grand Slam and on Pro Grand Slam. Davis Cup winner. Laver had 19 Pro and regular majors. Laver had years in which he won over twenty tournaments.

I doubt if Federer or Nadal will win 200 tournaments. Federer is having trouble reaching 60 now. If Federer has a late surge he may reach 19 majors but time is not on his side. Grand Slam for Federer looks tough especially with Nadal on clay blocking him with the French and guys like Murray and Djokovic in his way.

I think Nadal has it in him to win a Grand Slam and perhaps if he does that he may win another. Who knows? He's young and had already won a lot of majors so 19 is possible but it still will be hard.

I think Nadal has a better shot than Federer because he's had such a head start. If you compare Federer's and Nadal's record at Nadal's age now, Nadal's way ahead. And I think Nadal will work to improve.

Two Grand Slams, maybe even one Grand Slam plus many many many years of dominance would at least put them in the mix.

It's hard. Laver's records are so ..., there's no other way to write LAVERIAN. That's why he's always talked about when people discuss the GOAT.

Chelsea_Kiwi
04-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Sampras IMO is the current GOAT. Fed is not far behind though.

tennis-hero
04-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Sampras would have owned Laver on grass

LAver won the GS's- 3 were on grass

so Sampras could have had 25+ slams had he played in the 1960s

so Sampras wouldn't have won the calender GS

so what, he could have set a record and single surface domination that would have ensured his GOATness

GameSampras
04-18-2009, 03:36 PM

so what, he could have set a record and single surface domination that would have ensured his GOATness

You make a good point. And I think there is no doubt Sampras could have dominated even with a wooden racket being that his Serve-volley game was so solid and his domination would be sick on grass no doubt. Hell look at the damage Pete was doing with his rinky dink crappy smalled framed pro staff. Sampras would be an automatic 3 slam a year player in laver's day. Whereas todays players where very few have an effective serve-volley game if one at all would have a hard time competing. They would need to be completely retrained. Nowadays the rackets do the talking more then the players.

CyBorg
04-18-2009, 04:17 PM

Do you know what the pro tour was? Do you know what the major events on the pro tour were? Do you know what the surfaces of those events were?

Clearly not. So why post this nonsense?

tudwell
04-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Federer needs to win at least one calendar slam. Nadal needs to win 2 or 3.

Chelsea_Kiwi
04-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Federer needs to win at least one calendar slam. Nadal needs to win 2 or 3. Do you mean career or calendar?

AprilFool
04-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Laver needs nineteen consecutive semis.

vtmike
04-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Here we go...get ready for another 30 pages or so about pointless conversations on weak era's!

GPG
04-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Laver played in a "weak" era IMO. Both guys (or maybe just Roger, because tennis on that time wasn't as powerfull as Rafa's game) have more ability for the game than what tennis players used to have back in the Laver era. I mean, cmon, this guys bareley ran while playing the ball and were also playing with jerseys.

chiru
04-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Here we go...get ready for another 30 pages or so about pointless conversations on weak era's!

you called it. AAAAHHHHH

there is no GOAT!!! there are only the bests of generations. that's the only fair way to factor in generational differences (surfaces, court speeds, competition, technology, etc.)

tudwell
04-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Laver played in a "weak" era IMO. Both guys (or maybe just Roger, because tennis on that time wasn't as powerfull as Rafa's game) have more ability for the game than what tennis players used to have back in the Laver era. I mean, cmon, this guys bareley ran while playing the ball and were also playing with jerseys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-VeBIal8TU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SptdffCeVmM

Yeah, Laver really sucked. I mean, who CAN'T hang tough against Borg and Connors in their late 30s?

T1000
04-19-2009, 03:12 PM
federer - win the french open

nadal - win the us open and get to or past 14

King of Aces
04-19-2009, 03:37 PM

I think nadal has already surpassed laver, Roger and Sampras because he is the only one of them to win on all surfaces.

chiru
04-19-2009, 03:46 PM
I think nadal has already surpassed laver, Roger and Sampras because he is the only one of them to win on all surfaces.

ever heard of a guy named agassi?

T1000
04-19-2009, 05:02 PM
who????????

King of Aces
04-19-2009, 05:28 PM
ever heard of a guy named agassi?

Yeah except Agassi was basically owned by Sampras so he can never be considered the GOAT. Sampras will always be better.

I think that Federers will always have the same problem as Agassi. How can Roger ever be considered the GOAT when he was beaten by by Nadal 13-6. Its just not logical.

petetheileet
04-19-2009, 07:58 PM
calender slam and reach 20 majors

TheNatural
04-19-2009, 11:00 PM
They both need a Calendar slam, a bunch of majors, about 5 Davis cups and a dominating finals record versus their biggest opponent.

Federer also needs a singles gold medal. He can't be a goat contender with:

1/ 0 French opens
2/ 0 Davis cups
3/ 0 Olympic singles medals from 4 Olympics(needs Gold in London)
4/ A dominant losing record in big finals v Nadal.

It's just not logical to be a goat contender with these 4 things against him.

thalivest
04-19-2009, 11:16 PM
-Win atleast 2 Calender Slams
-Win atleast 18 total slams
-Stay ranked either #1 or #2 in the World winning atleast 1 slam and many tournaments a year for atleast 8 straight years
-Stay in the top 10 for atleast 12 straight years

Nadal is only 1/3rd of the way there around, yet he has a much better shot of getting there someday than Federer does.