PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic proved he's better than Murray on clay.

charliexd
04-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Today he played very well and troubled Nadal a lot during the whole match. Probably Murray will keep improving, but as far as now he's not in the same league. What do you think?

swedechris
04-19-2009, 08:10 AM
IMO they both are getting closer to knowing how to play on the dirt.. Rafa will not be as dominant if they continue to improve like in MC.

DavidGarcia
04-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Djoko has won some titles (one of them a Master) on clay therefore I'll give the edge to him over Murray. Although Murray has improved a lot on clay and I think that the grap between them on clay has narrowed. We'll have to wait until the end of the clay season to get final conclusions.

bladepdb
04-19-2009, 08:13 AM
I'll have to wait to see until they actually meet head to head in a clay event before concluding which one's better than the other.

I mean let's face it, Murray had to play against Nadal in the semi and Djokovic had to play Wawrinka. If Murray had to play Stan and and Djokovic had to play Nadal, the results could have been different (I.e. Murray could have been in the final instead of Djokovic).

Head to heads will be the only way to get a definitive conclusion on whos' better than who.

EDIT: Granted, he has taken a set from Nadal today whereas Murray was not able to, so I do see your argument ;)
[This is only a slight spoiler, I am not hinting at who won or lost]

Nadal_Freak
04-19-2009, 08:15 AM
IMO they both are getting closer to knowing how to play on the dirt.. Rafa will not be as dominant if they continue to improve like in MC.
Monte Carlo is a slower clay. RG is more ideal to Nadal's game. With that said, he still seems unbeatable no matter what type of clay. He's just more dominant at RG.

bladepdb
04-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Monte Carlo is a slower clay. RG is more ideal to Nadal's game. With that said, he still seems unbeatable no matter what type of clay. He's just more dominant at RG.

That has nothing to do with whether Djokovic is better than Murray or not....

Nadal_Freak
04-19-2009, 08:20 AM
That has nothing to do with whether Djokovic is better than Murray or not....
I forgot to quote swedechris's post. But yeah. I agree that Djokovic is closer to beating Nadal on clay and would bother Murray though Murray thrives off players going for too much.

maximo
04-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Today he played very well and troubled Nadal a lot during the whole match. Probably Murray will keep improving, but as far as now he's not in the same league. What do you think?

On clay. on hard court Murray rinses Djokovic. And Murray isn't totally behind Djokovic on clay either.

miyagi
04-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Murray played great but Djoko played exceptional!

For a guy who is having a bad season he was pretty awesome!

Rafa was Great, his serve wasnt great but boy can he step it up!

The-Champ
04-19-2009, 08:40 AM

Rafa played better against Murray.

vtmike
04-19-2009, 08:41 AM
On clay, on hard court Murray rinses Djokovic. And Murray isn't totally behind Djokovic on clay either.

Are you from Sctoland?

maximo
04-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Rafa played better against Murray.

very true.

maximo
04-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Are you from Sctoland?

Why does it matter? England.

The-Champ
04-19-2009, 08:44 AM
very true.

Today, Rafa slept in the second set. Yesterday...he did everything he could to avoid Murray from taking the second set, and played amazingly well in the tie-break.

vtmike
04-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Why does it matter? England.

No that explains why you like Murray so much :)

egn
04-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Wait this hadn't been proved. Even Wawrinka looked better on clay than Murray...Djokovic is the second best clay courter has taken that from Federer now. Lets not jump on Murray. He has a bit more left in the clay season.

maximo
04-19-2009, 08:50 AM
No that explains why you like Murray so much :)

Im a Murray man! :twisted:

Wait this hadn't been proved. Even Wawrinka looked better on clay than Murray...Djokovic is the second best clay courter has taken that from Federer now. Lets not jump on Murray. He has a bit more left in the clay season.

Davydenko is better on clay than Wawrinka, and Murray beat him in straights...

nkhera1
04-19-2009, 12:01 PM

I think they are quite similar though the conditions were quite heavy this week because of all the rain.

nkhera1
04-19-2009, 12:02 PM
At this point Djokovic is the better hardcourt player but Murray has improved tremendously and I look for him to be an even bigger threat in the future. I just hope that Djokovic can regain his confidence and swagger and translate that to the hardcourts because I would love to see him and Murray do battle on all surfaces when they are both near their best.

CyBorg
04-19-2009, 12:06 PM
I think it's impressive that Djoker won a set off Nadal on this clay. In Rome, if he plays like this he might even win. That's a much faster surface.

Roland Garros, however, is much closer to Monte Carlo surface-wise. So expect the same old song.

saram
04-19-2009, 12:22 PM

Novak has always been better than Andy on clay. This is not breaking news, here. Murray is narrowing the gap, however.

P_Agony
04-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Both are good, but Djoko is better. I still think Nalbandian, Federer and Davydenko are better clayers than both of them when their game is on. Federer actually has a win over Nadal on clay, which is something Djokovic and Murray still don't.

However, Djokovic's performence in the semi final (and I'm assuming the final even though I didn't watch that) was very strong. Maybe he's slowly transforming from a very good clayer to a great clayer. Time will tell. As for Murray, I think it's a little too soon to make any predictions. He didn't have good results in the past and a semi final in MC is good, but I'm not sure he'll be able to threat Nadal in future clay events.

gj011
04-19-2009, 12:34 PM
I'll have to wait to see until they actually meet head to head in a clay event before concluding which one's better than the other.

Their H2H on clay this season is not likely to happen since as long as they are #3 and #4 they can't meet before the final. So one of them (or somebody else earlier) need to take out Nadal, and we should not forget Federer who is, despite everything quite capable of getting to the clay tournament final.

The best chance is Rome, since Nadal will be tired playing third consecutive week in a row.

According to his post match interview he is playing Barcelona.

helloworld
04-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Nadal played well against Murray, but he was a little out of his form against Djokovic. I think Murray's performance in this tournament is more impressive than Djokovic. Just look at Murray vs Nadal highlights. It's some of the best clay court tennis you'll see. Nadal had to bring his best game to win.

Morrissey
04-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Based on results and how hard they push Nadal I agree. But I DO wonder how Joker would play against Murray on clay anyway since he seems to have his number of late.

Beacon Hill
04-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Not in the same league? Do you really believe that?

tacou
04-19-2009, 01:12 PM
of course he is. Murray needs to prove he's better than Djoko, which he simply isn't at the moment.

stormholloway
04-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Djokovic is built for any surface. Clay suits him very well indeed. Having a good dropshot adds to this, though many criticize his usage of it. I thought he had Nadal at the start of the first set. He still isn't mentally sound and that can be a problem on clay against Nadal.

Unfortunately Nadal is just an animal on clay. He can completely reset/neutralize a rally in which he is at a serious disadvantage with just a single forehand. Watching Nadal on clay makes me want to quit tennis. I feel for anyone who has to play him on that surface, or any for that matter.

Nadal_Freak
04-19-2009, 01:20 PM
I think they are quite similar though the conditions were quite heavy this week because of all the rain.
Monte Carlo is very similar to Hamburg. The stats of those 2 matches are almost identical to each other. Rome I consider to be closest to RG though it's not identical and slightly more suitable to hard court players due to the height of bounce. Nadal didn't break Novak much at RG and Novak only broke Nadal 2 times. Those conditions were similar to the conditions in Monte Carlo today. So I think the difference was the clay itself. RG is faster and higher bouncing. It maximizes Nadal's topspin shots as well as good for his serve. Everything was a grind today because Nadal couldn't get any easy points on his serve or just by kicking the ball up high.

jimbo333
04-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Novak has always been better than Andy on clay. This is not breaking news, here. Murray is narrowing the gap, however.

I absolutely agree:):)

bladepdb
04-19-2009, 02:37 PM
On clay. on hard court Murray rinses Djokovic. And Murray isn't totally behind Djokovic on clay either.

That was kind of the point of this thread if you read the title.