PDA

View Full Version : Short S&V points or Long Grinding Baseline rallies?

DarthFed
04-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Watching points like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOnNfa44P5k&feature=channel_page

Make me realize why i can like Nadal, those freakish retrieval skills make points like this possible

miyagi
04-19-2009, 12:48 PM

Make me realize why i can like Nadal, those freakish retrieval skills make points like this possible

That point was CRAZY!!!

Rafa seems to come up with winners when he shouldnt over and over! Thats why he is great to watch!

How many times did Djoko think he had won the point only to get passed!

P_Agony
04-19-2009, 01:04 PM
That point was CRAZY!!!

Rafa seems to come up with winners when he shouldnt over and over! Thats why he is great to watch!

How many times did Djoko think he had won the point only to get passed!

Federer did that all the time, with not less amazing points (some would argue the best points ever seen in tennis). However, one or two great points don't make a match. The Murray/Nadal match had some great points too, but overall most of the match was a borefest. moonball to moonball in endless rallies. Yawn. I really suffered watching that, and I was reminded once more that while I can appreciate Nadal's heart, will, and skills, I can not watch him play and enjoy at the same time.

BTW, I voted serve and volley, but I actually like a mix of volley, serving, and baseline play (as offensive as it can possibly be).

miyagi
04-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Federer did that all the time, with not less amazing points (some would argue the best points ever seen in tennis). However, one or two great points don't make a match. The Murray/Nadal match had some great points too, but overall most of the match was a borefest. moonball to moonball in endless rallies. Yawn. I really suffered watching that, and I was reminded once more that while I can appreciate Nadal's heart, will, and skills, I can not watch him play and enjoy at the same time.

BTW, I voted serve and volley, but I actually like a mix of volley, serving, and baseline play (as offensive as it can possibly be).

Neither I or the OP mentioned Fed :confused:

We all know how great Fed is but we were talking about liking Nadal?

Anyway it is hard to judge a match you didn't see isn't it?? Plus I think most people thought it was a great match, worthy of a final!

CCNM
04-19-2009, 01:19 PM
I wonder what would have happened if Nadal, Murray, & some of these other "moonballers" had picked up a baseball bat instead of a tennis racquet.

P_Agony
04-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Neither I or the OP mentioned Fed :confused:

We all know how great Fed is but we were talking about liking Nadal?

Anyway it is hard to judge a match you didn't see isn't it?? Plus I think most people thought it was a great match, worthy of a final!

I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you. I appoligize. I mentioned Fed because I saw discussion on incredible points.

I think it was a good match because of the last few games when Murray changed his tactics and quickly broke back to make it a match again. The first set and a half, however, were horribly tedious. Moonball after moonball, with each rally lasting forever, until Murray made an unforced error. I'm happy for you that you find it exciting. For me it was sad to watch, because then I realized the game of tennis has officialy changed, and I don't like this change. It was as if they weren't fighting for the point, but more fighting for who lifts the ball higher. It was painful to watch for me.

egn
04-19-2009, 01:35 PM

Gosh does every topic about Nadal have to have him compared to Fed.

Where is midway in between? Anyway that point was amazing though, Nadal is a tremendous athlete his speed is amazing.

miyagi
04-19-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you. I appoligize. I mentioned Fed because I saw discussion on incredible points.

I think it was a good match because of the last few games when Murray changed his tactics and quickly broke back to make it a match again. The first set and a half, however, were horribly tedious. Moonball after moonball, with each rally lasting forever, until Murray made an unforced error. I'm happy for you that you find it exciting. For me it was sad to watch, because then I realized the game of tennis has officialy changed, and I don't like this change. It was as if there weren't fighting for the point, but more fighting for who lifts the ball higher. It was painful to watch for me.

No you didnt offend I actually thought you were being funny, so my apologies!

Fed is great I have seen him live at Wimbledon :D

I enjoy watching all the top players even though each of their styles vary.

But I do think todays match was great stuff!

All-rounder
04-19-2009, 01:50 PM
77 shot rallies on clay
On grass S&V
On hardcourts mix it up
Simple as

P_Agony
04-19-2009, 01:52 PM
No you didnt offend I actually thought you were being funny, so my apologies!

Fed is great I have seen him live at Wimbledon :D

I enjoy watching all the top players even though each of their styles vary.

But I do think todays match was great stuff!

Oh, today's match? Hmmm....I was talking in my post about the Murray/Nadal match, not the final. I didn't watch the final so I can't comment on it. I heard some good stuff about it though.

DarthFed
04-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Gosh does every topic about Nadal have to have him compared to Fed.

Where is midway in between? Anyway that point was amazing though, Nadal is a tremendous athlete his speed is amazing.

The topic wasn't really about Nadal....but it was the most recent match so i used that clip...Fed sadly didn't make it far enough so i couldn't use a clip from the past..that just wouldn't be fair

All-rounder
04-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Oh, today's match? Hmmm....I was talking in my post about the Murray/Nadal match, not the final. I didn't watch the final so I can't comment on it. I heard some good stuff about it though.
you can watch the highlights on youtube

P_Agony
04-19-2009, 01:56 PM
you can watch the highlights on youtube

I watched some. It looks like a better match than the semi final. I think Djokovic did exactly what he needed to do - be aggressive.

Gorecki
04-19-2009, 01:57 PM
i prefer tennis...

All-rounder
04-19-2009, 01:59 PM
I watched some. It looks like a better match than the semi final. I think Djokovic did exactly what he needed to do - be aggressive.
Yeah i think if murray stuck to that plan in the beginning instead of moonballing in the first set he could have pushed nadal to 3 sets

P_Agony
04-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Yeah i think if murray stuck to that plan in the beginning instead of moonballing in the first set he could have pushed nadal to 3 sets

Yes and the match would have been decent to watch from the very first set. I think Murray will do better next time.

Nadal_Freak
04-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Clay court battles own all.

DavidGarcia
04-19-2009, 03:05 PM
I personally prefer long rallies. Also people do not mention much that most of those long rallies are finished on the net! So there is always a bit of volleying involved on the points/rallies.

T1000
04-19-2009, 03:08 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :razz:

VivalaVida
04-19-2009, 03:13 PM
I used to think that baseline was more entertaining but not anymore. Serve and Volley tennis when played the right way is amazing. It is "Blitzkrieg" tennis while baseline rallies are "sitzkrieg" tennis :D

VivalaVida
04-19-2009, 03:14 PM

epic avatar DarthFed

DarthFed
04-19-2009, 04:49 PM
epic avatar DarthFed

Why do you say that?

I used to think that baseline was more entertaining but not anymore. Serve and Volley tennis when played the right way is amazing. It is "Blitzkrieg" tennis while baseline rallies are "sitzkrieg" tennis

I disagree if both players are just standing there then i can agree

But when there moving around the court like speed demons hitting all these damn angles then it becomes entertaining

The Clay season is my least favorite season (because we ALL know whose going to win most tournaments) but it has some of the best tennis if you like long rallies

defrule
04-19-2009, 04:59 PM
I like clay battles but sometimes I do think they hit a bit too high, but I guess it buys more time to get back in position.

theagassiman
04-19-2009, 05:07 PM
I used to think that baseline was more entertaining but not anymore. Serve and Volley tennis when played the right way is amazing. It is "Blitzkrieg" tennis while baseline rallies are "sitzkrieg" tennis :D

Take a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtqyGhwEaSM&feature=channel

absolutely amazing the way Edberg takes control of the net all the time.

Knightmace
04-19-2009, 05:13 PM
I like watching grinding rallies but not idiotic moonball that point was the exact point he played last year!

coloskier
04-19-2009, 06:07 PM

Yes, they are a fantastic cure for insomnia.

VivalaVida
04-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Why do you say that?

I disagree if both players are just standing there then i can agree

But when there moving around the court like speed demons hitting all these damn angles then it becomes entertaining

The Clay season is my least favorite season (because we ALL know whose going to win most tournaments) but it has some of the best tennis if you like long rallies
I said that because I used to watch prince of tennis a long time ago (like 2004). If i remeber correctly those two were some of the biggest rivals to the main character.

Serendipitous
04-19-2009, 06:51 PM

That point reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36SSdFPPp9w

tudwell
04-19-2009, 06:56 PM
I like long serve and volley points and short baseline rallies...

gj011
04-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Take a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtqyGhwEaSM&feature=channel

absolutely amazing the way Edberg takes control of the net all the time.

Thanks for this.

Did you see that shot by Noah between the legs at 5:08.

About poll the question. I like both.