PDA

View Full Version : Nadal's net game imporving?

egn
04-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Now I am not saying Nadal has become a net god, but is it me or lately has it just seemed that making Nadal come in is not a guarantee or close to it for a point anymore. I am not sure if it is he has better net game or maybe he is a bit faster and stronger. He has been pulling off great shots and do you think it is because his net game has improved or is it because he is standing closer to the baseline (something I am starting to notice) and has gotten a bit faster so it allows him to get to the balls faster and make more comfortable shots? Opinions. Also I think this makes Wimbledon more interesting..do you think we see Nadal maybe serve and volley a point or two? Or is that still out of the question?

rubberduckies
04-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Nadal has been able to ad-court serve & volley for a while now. And making Nadal come in has never been a guarantee of closing out a point against him. Many players who use the drop shot regularly don't do so against Nadal because his speed and touch allows him to get to the ball and do something with it.

MajinX
04-19-2009, 04:40 PM
nadal is good at net... not amazing maybe, but good, he can volley well, it just isnt really his style to serve and volley unless hes coming in to finish a point or to return drop shots.

Beasty54
04-19-2009, 04:42 PM
He plays doubles quite frequently and it has massively improved his net game.

He has very underrated volleys.

egn
04-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Nadal has been able to ad-court serve & volley for a while now. And making Nadal come in has never been a guarantee of closing out a point against him. Many players who use the drop shot regularly don't do so against Nadal because his speed and touch allows him to get to the ball and do something with it.

True but you stood a good chance at not getting the volley off as the winner but the shot after it but now he can put them well out of reach. Not only is it getting there but he has had volley exchanges were he has made some really good points. I am just saying since I would say last year US Open he has become more confident in his net game.

JuliusWinto
04-19-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm pretty sure I've seen Nadal serve and volley at some point on every surface, and don't you remember the last game of 2008 Wimby? Also, I watched some of the tournament that Nadal won the doubles tournament with Marc Lopez of all people. He can definitely volley. And has for a while. I even remember good volleys against Fed at Miami in 2004.

stoble
04-19-2009, 06:26 PM
He's more than competent but could use some work on the backhand volley. Man, I saw some UGLY misses in his match against Del Potro.

clayman2000
04-19-2009, 07:09 PM
For me the problem with rating a players volley skills is that so much depends on the approach. Roddick for me is a great example. He actually is a fairly good volleyer -- good instincts and reaction, however his approaches can be so pitiful that he looks like a duck with its head cut off

Nadal for me volleys well enough to win the point. What i mean is that Nadal hits great approaches, with spin and depth, and he knows when to come to net... with the opponent on the run, or playing a slice. I have really never seen Nadal make amazing volleys. What he does do is set up the point so well that the volley doesnt have to be amazing. No doubt he is solid there as his work ethic shows, but the S&V tactic, or chip n charge is something he should only do sparingly, to change things up

Beacon Hill
04-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Nadal is an excellent volleyer. This is not a question of him being merely competent. He has great feel and hands around the net. He would come in more often if his ground game was not so effective as to make it unnecessary.

flyer
04-19-2009, 07:53 PM
For me the problem with rating a players volley skills is that so much depends on the approach. Roddick for me is a great example. He actually is a fairly good volleyer -- good instincts and reaction, however his approaches can be so pitiful that he looks like a duck with its head cut off

Nadal for me volleys well enough to win the point. What i mean is that Nadal hits great approaches, with spin and depth, and he knows when to come to net... with the opponent on the run, or playing a slice. I have really never seen Nadal make amazing volleys. What he does do is set up the point so well that the volley doesnt have to be amazing. No doubt he is solid there as his work ethic shows, but the S&V tactic, or chip n charge is something he should only do sparingly, to change things up

nadal never really has to hit great volleys because like you said he knows when to come in, but he does have it is the arsenal, exp the backhand stretch volley to set up set point in the forth set of the ao final against federer....

but yeah people assume he is not good at net because he is so good at the baseline, but hes def above average as many pros has stated, and on tour the most successful of the top pros in doubles, so that says something too...

jamesblakefan#1
04-19-2009, 07:57 PM
"Nadal's net game imporving?"

IDK, but maybe your spelling game should imporve lol

gj011
04-19-2009, 08:53 PM

That was obviously a typo.

VivalaVida
04-19-2009, 08:56 PM

yet another poster who has never made a typo in his life. :rolleyes:

jamesblakefan#1
04-19-2009, 08:58 PM
yet another poster who has never made a typo in his life. :rolleyes:

it was just a (bad) joke ok, sorry if i offended anyone lol

LanceStern
04-19-2009, 09:00 PM
If I could be honest, I don't think I've ever seen Nadal be passed. I've seen him whiff a smash or two, but never be passed

His approach shot is so devastating (even on drop shots)... he puts so much spin on it that he pust away his volleys.

I was just thinking about it today. It's very amazing

VivalaVida
04-19-2009, 09:02 PM
If I could be honest, I don't think I've ever seen Nadal be passed. I've seen him whiff a smash or two, but never be passed

His approach shot is so devastating (even on drop shots)... he puts so much spin on it that he pust away his volleys.

I was just thinking about it today. It's very amazing

Seriously? Just think of the famous backhand pass that federer hit in the 4th set tiebreak at wimbledon.

rubberduckies
04-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Seriously? Just think of the famous backhand pass that federer hit in the 4th set tiebreak at wimbledon.

Yeah, that point is evidence that Nadal's approach to net is the real flaw in his net game. He basically set that shot up for Federer by approaching crosscourt and send to ball straight at Fed. If he had approached DTL as he should have, the match would've ended right there and then. He actually does that quite a lot and ends up getting passed quite a lot as a result.

LanceStern
04-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah, that point is evidence that Nadal's approach to net is the real flaw in his net game. He basically set that shot up for Federer by approaching crosscourt and send to ball straight at Fed. If he had approached DTL as he should have, the match would've ended right there and then. He actually does that quite a lot and ends up getting passed quite a lot as a result.

He served a nasty slice serve to Fed's backhand, then approached with another forehand that should have yanked Fed off court. It was a great shot to make, Fed just picked right.

But that does remind me now about Nadal being passed. you just don't see it often.