PDA

View Full Version : Who has the most variety in his game?

P_Agony
04-19-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm talking about mixing things up, innovating, trying special shots, etc.

I would say Federer hands down. In his prime he had every shot in the book, and he invented some too. He was great from the baseline, the net, could hit drop shots, lobs, slice, smash, backhand smash (the best I've ever seen), and some impossibe returns of smashes. He had fantastic angles and the prettiest inside-out forehand I've ever seen.

Of course, I'm a Fed fan but I'd like to hear you opinions.

*Please do not turn this into another useless Federer/Nadal thread, write you opinion and explain it. Thanks.

GameSampras
04-19-2009, 02:48 PM

I would say Federer hands down. In his prime he had every shot in the book, and he invented some too. He was great from the baseline, the net, could hit drop shots, lobs, slice, smash, backhand smash (the best I've ever seen), and some impossibe returns of smashes. He had fantastic angles and the prettiest inside-out forehand I've ever seen.

*Please do not turn this into another useless Federer/Nadal thread, write you opinion and explain it. Thanks.

Probably Fed... At least Fed at his peak but again during that time he was just TOYING with his opponents he was so far ahead of them talent wise and you knew Fed was toying with them. Today its not the case. So he cant rely "harlem globetrotter" tennis as he did before. Now he just has to go out and get the job done and forget about the highlight reels.

P_Agony
04-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Probably Fed... At least Fed at his peak but again during that time he was just TOYING with his opponents he was so far ahead of them talent wise and you knew Fed was toying with them. Today its not the case. So he cant rely "harlem globetrotter" tennis as he did before. Now he just has to go out and get the job done and forget about the highlight reels.

I guess you completley ignored my comment about replying on topic and not turnning this thread into a combat zone. :(

GameSampras
04-19-2009, 02:51 PM
I guess you completley ignored my comment about replying on topic and not turnning this thread into a combat zone. :(

ahhh yihhh yihh. Settle down

egn
04-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Prime Fed though I think right now Djokovic might soon take that role, he is starting to look more versatile as of late.

GameSampras
04-19-2009, 02:52 PM
You could argue Andre as well. Unreal the crap he came up with.

miyagi
04-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Fed hands down....

GameSampras
Pete was no slouch either coming with ridiculous off balanced running FH's and clutch performances from the baseline. serving. and at the net during his heyday

P_Agony
ahhh yihhh yihh. Settle down

I'm settled down. I just think we had enough threads about weak fields, strong fields, and soccer fields. Really. This thread is not about that.

DarthFed
04-19-2009, 02:56 PM
In his prime it was "God" Federer, these days i don't really know...Murray has great tactics but Variety idk

Agassi was awesome too, an on fire Djoker is amazing in terms of winners at net or from the baseline

P_Agony
04-19-2009, 02:58 PM
I think Pete was the god in variety of serving too. Such a weapon that was...

GameSampras
04-19-2009, 02:58 PM
If we are talking "variety" though. Wouldnt it make sense to think players with great serve-volley skills along with great baseline play would fall into the "more variety" category than strictly baseliners?

Im sorry I just dont see much variety today and a big part is the strictly baseline play and futuristic rackets as opposed to before where you had to make your break so to speak and come with some variety either at the net or at the baseline or big time serving

P_Agony
04-19-2009, 03:00 PM
If we are talking "variety" though. Wouldnt it make sense to think players with great serve-volley skills along with baseline play would fall into the "more variety" category than strictly baseliners?

Yes, I agree. I think Federer fits that description. He comes to the net way more than today's baseliners. However it's not just that. It's mastering every shot in the book, it's inventing your own signature shots, etc.

GameSampras
04-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Yes, I agree. I think Federer fits that description. He comes to the net way more than today's baseliners. However it's not just that. It's mastering every shot in the book, it's inventing your own signature shots, etc.

Yea Fed could do it all at his peak definitely. There really wasnt a weak spot in his game to speak of during that time. At least not with his game.

But others today certainly lack some overrall variety with their play. Hell 90 percent of the guys today maybe more have no clue what to do at the net

All-rounder
04-19-2009, 03:02 PM
If we are talking "variety" though. Wouldnt it make sense to think players with great serve-volley skills along with great baseline play would fall into the "more variety" category than strictly baseliners?

Im sorry I just dont see much variety today and a big part is the strictly baseline play and futuristic rackets as opposed to before where you had to make your break so to speak and come with some variety either at the net or at the baseline or big time serving
Then Federer has that all wrapped up then wouldn't you say?
Or do you think sampras should have it

Breaker
04-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Richard Gasquet and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

GameSampras
04-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Then Federer has that all wrapped up then wouldn't you say?
Or do you think sampras should have it

Probably peak Fed for sure. But one could argue prime Pete as well.

But I dunno.. Sampras did some crazy stuff here. Some of the shots Pete could pull out at the net was sick. Unreal anticipation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt-vdBYeU3A

Very few could duplicate what Pete did from time to time. Of course you really cant duplicate what Roger did either at his bestt

GameSampras
04-19-2009, 03:08 PM
And what about those Sampras slam dunks? No one in history could it like Pete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkQ58TnSdug&feature=related

All-rounder
04-19-2009, 03:10 PM
And what about those Sampras slam dunks? No one in history could it like Pete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkQ58TnSdug&feature=related
true all he needed was a hoop and a basketball and he'll be in the Nba

Nadal_Freak
04-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Probably Murray. He can handle any shot.

ayuname
04-19-2009, 03:16 PM
This is my favorite shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjE_cXDV7Qw

All-rounder
04-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Probably Murray. He can handle any shot.
moon balling doesn't count as handling it counts as pushing

Nadal_Freak
04-19-2009, 03:24 PM
moon balling doesn't count as handling it counts as pushing
No he slices, hits flat, and uses lots of topspin. He can handle slices, flat ball shots, and lots of topspin as well. The game plan against Murray is very complex due to this. Just play your game and hope for the best.

VivalaVida
04-19-2009, 03:46 PM
I say Sampras. Sampras had a really nice game. He could slam winners from the baseline or use slices to set up net plays.

T1000
04-19-2009, 04:16 PM
out of the current top 4

Nadal - baseline shots to the backhand until the other guy makes on error

Federer - can do whatever he wants. he's got all the tools, but has to much on his mind right now to think straight in a match

Djokovic - again has all the tools, but he has two problems. his fitness is awful and he is to mentally weak.

Murray - moonballing yawn.......

Djokovic and Federer have the most right now, but they dont put it to use consistently

harr
04-19-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Santoro.

MajinX
04-19-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Santoro.

i was thinking santoro myself.

Clydey2times
04-19-2009, 05:18 PM

Federer pretty much played the same way in every match, though. His mentality was always "my best vs. your best and I'll win". He didn't give much thought to tactics or changing up his game. He still doesn't. It's like a matter of pride.

I think it's between Federer and Murray if we're talking about who has the most tools. Murray definitely changes the pace a lot more than Federer, though, whereas Federer is at the net a lot more often than Murray.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 01:38 AM
Federer pretty much played the same way in every match, though. His mentality was always "my best vs. your best and I'll win". He didn't give much thought to tactics or changing up his game. He still doesn't. It's like a matter of pride.

I think it's between Federer and Murray if we're talking about who has the most tools. Murray definitely changes the pace a lot more than Federer, though, whereas Federer is at the net a lot more often than Murray.

Federer uses a lot of shots that Murray can't. The backhand smash of Federer is a joy to watch. His overhead lobs are brilliant, his half volley droppers are pretty sweet too. Murray is more consistent nowdays, but I don't think he's one of the most varied players out there.

sh@de
04-20-2009, 02:43 AM
Fed hands down. Murray doesn't even come close. The sheer genius of Fed's shots man... nobody is anywhere near it.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 03:37 AM
Fed hands down. Murray doesn't even come close. The sheer genius of Fed's shots man... nobody is anywhere near it.

I agree. So many great points over the years. He used to come up with insane points on a daily basis. Today it's a bit more rare when he can barely get a forehand to land in the court.

sh@de
04-20-2009, 04:01 AM
^ Yep. Just because his form is off now, doesn't mean he was always like that. When we're talking about the prime Fed... man, he was awesome. His array of shots was nothing short of godlike.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 04:06 AM
^ Yep. Just because his form is off now, doesn't mean he was always like that. When we're talking about the prime Fed... man, he was awesome. His array of shots was nothing short of godlike.

I think today he's just scared of getting too creative on court with his unforced errors count so high every time. But if there's any justice in this world, Federer will be back to win some big titles this year. Federer is gone mentally ever since the AO final, and since then tennis is just not the same, at least for me. I need to watch his game again, his good game, with the array of shots you mentioned. I think tennis needs that to.

Clydey2times
04-20-2009, 04:30 AM
Federer uses a lot of shots that Murray can't. The backhand smash of Federer is a joy to watch. His overhead lobs are brilliant, his half volley droppers are pretty sweet too. Murray is more consistent nowdays, but I don't think he's one of the most varied players out there.

Murray can and does play all of those shots. In fact, I think every shot you mentioned is in the 10 minute highlights of Murray-Nadal AO 07. Not a single shot Federer can hit that Murray can't.

There are a couple of backhand smashes and half volley droppers in particular that are out of this world. Not sure where you got the idea that Murray can't play those shots.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 04:34 AM
Murray can and does play all of those shots. In fact, I think every shot you mentioned is in the 10 minute highlights of Murray-Nadal AO 07. Not a single shot Federer can hit that Murray can't.

There are a couple of backhand smashes and half volley droppers in particular that are out of this world. Not sure where you got the idea that Murray can't play those shots.

Have you ever seen the counter overhaed winner Fed hit against Roddick, and against Djokovic USO08? Please show me a link of a similar Murray shot.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 04:35 AM
This is my favorite shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjE_cXDV7Qw

I always wondered how was that legal? Or did the ball jumped twice when Delpo hit it?

Clydey2times
04-20-2009, 04:49 AM
Have you ever seen the counter overhaed winner Fed hit against Roddick, and against Djokovic USO08? Please show me a link of a similar Murray shot.

The one against Djokovic is not the type of shot that you get to hit very often. It's not a matter of him not being able to hit it. It's just rare that the opportunity actually arises. I mean, Federer has hit that shot once. I'm sure there are shots Murray has hit that Federer hasn't, purely because Federer just hasn't been in that situation or has chosen a different option.

As far as the Roddick one goes, I think I know the one you're talking about. Murray hit that shot against Chela in Madrid 2007 during one hell of a game in the second set, in which he played exhibition tennis.

pete92
04-20-2009, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=P_Agony;3336119]I'm talking about mixing things up, innovating, trying special shots, etc.

James Blake

mandy01
04-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Yep.Its Roger.When he's on , he's the best to watch.Thats why I like him and always will...I get sick of watching baseline snoozefests... :wink:

deltox
04-20-2009, 10:32 AM
ill go out there and say, two players not often mentioned as having tools but when they are on its hotness

Davydenko and Monfils

both pull amazing shots out their butts but as i stated only when they are on fire.

coyfish
04-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Well the OP said a balance of everything. Monfils can come up with great shots from the baseline but he hits pretty 1 dimensionally in my book.

I think fed in his prime is untouchable. He rarely hit the same shot twice. Flat, slice, flat deep lob, topspin . . . combine that with his amazing laser accuracy and his soft hands at net is a great all around player.

Nadal as of late is much more versatile. He still sticks to his main grinding strat but hes definately using more slices and looking to come to the net.

Murray is versatile with his shots as well but he does so in a defensive manner instead of offensive.