PDA

View Full Version : Austrailians?

MegacedU
03-11-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm from New York and I've never been to Australia. I'd like to but first I'd like to clear up a few things.

I've heard that little koalas with the cute little noses are MEAN, smell bad, bite and make awful noises.

Kangaroos are actually Grey and quite small.

Dingoes are super cute.

Lastly singer Ben Lee who sings Catch My Disease, has an adorable accent. I think I have an Australian L fetish. He just says his L's so awesome.

So are these just myths? Or are they true - It'll be good to know when I finally vacation there. I wont be QUITE the tourist.

AndrewD
03-11-2005, 03:15 PM
MegacedU,

Sounds like someone's been 'having you on'/'pulling your leg'/having a lend of you/joking.

You're not entirely wrong about the Koalas. They're not exactly mean, more along the lines of grumpy -can you blame them when all they want to do is sit up a tree chewing on gum leaves and people keep pulling them down to look at? They do tend to be a bit on the smelly side, make a god awful noise and, if you annoy them they probably will bite. Nothing unusual as they are wild animals, not pets, so will act accordingly.

Dingos look cute when they're pups but are best viewed from a distance. Like any wild dog they will be more than happy to take a large piece of of you if they get the chance and there have been instances of people being attacked by them. So, by all means view them at the zoo but if you happen to be around them in the bush keep your guard up. Treat them the same way you'd treat wolves, coyotes or any other wild dog and you'll be fine.

Kangaroos come in two basic colours, red and grey (you do get the occassional white one but its very rare). The grey is the smaller of the two and the red is considerably larger. Usually quite docile but, again, they aren't pets so treat them with a bit of respect and you'll be fine. There's more than enough places you can go to and feed them by hand so you'll be okay around them. Perhaps the person who said they were small was talking about Wallabies which are considerably smaller than the grey but far more timid.

As to the whole Ben Lee thing I cant really comment. I can never get over that head of his being too big for the rest of him and wondering how on earth he ever got Claire Danes. Not sure how we say our 'L's', seems to be normal to me but we do have an accent that puts a slightly different slant on things.

Oh, and so you dont seem like too much of a tourist (not that anyone is going to care and we'd probably presume that any American was here on holiday) make sure you get the pronunciation of the capital cities down before you arrive. Eg - Melbin/Melb'n not Mel-booorne and Brisbn not Bris-baaane

What part of Australia are you going to visit?

K!ck5w3rvE
03-11-2005, 03:49 PM
If your avatar is correct, I'll give you accomodation lol.

Frodo Baggins
03-11-2005, 04:59 PM
srry to say this but gotta add my humor here.Koalas sound just like me if you ever met me... if you happin to see me an wanna chat or somthing warning I can be grumpy an I do Bite if you keep on bugging me...As for Dingo's lets just say if you saw me on the streets keep your distance Cause if you ever come close to me I will An I mean it will attack you.. plus I'm not from Australia an as for kangaroo's yeah I'm somthing like a kangaroo too shy an docile too.. so there you have it.. ;)

bc-05
03-11-2005, 07:33 PM
wat about sam?
ohh mega.. once again.. im not lying come to adelaide.. ill bring u to a place where i normally practice.. we sometimes gets to see koalas around the tennis court (the court is surrounded by trees) once we saw them mating at like 9 oclock at night..

MegacedU
03-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Omg do koalas just run around like little squirrels?

AndrewD
03-11-2005, 10:55 PM
No, one of the last things a Koala will do if they can in any way avoid it is 'run'. They live high up in gum trees, so it's rare that you'll actually see one. If you do, it'll most likely be half asleep so don't expect any squirrel-like activity.

Baseline Basher
03-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Gum trees? I thought it was Eucalyptus. (Sp?)

I'd like to see a Kangaroo hopping around with a Koala in it's pouch. That would make my day.

bc-05
03-11-2005, 11:35 PM
gum trees, eucalyptus same thing... dude apparently i heard red kangaroos are huge (can grow upto 6' in height) but i haven't seen one that tall.. the biggest i've seen was a grey one at the zoo probably about 3' in height.. not that tall.. so i doubt any koalas can fit into their pouch but u can try forcing it.. lets see how hard theyll kick ur *****

dennis1188
03-12-2005, 01:08 AM
Remember, to keep your head and arms inside, during the boat trips in Kakadu, National Park, NT. The Crocodiles there learned how to leap (vertical approx.8 to 10 feet) straight out of the water. Too many crazy tourist boats throwing food out to them.
The scuba diving off Port Douglas, at the 'Great Barrier Reef', was amazing, just watch out for the 'stingers'.

equinox
03-13-2005, 01:26 AM
Avoid Adelaide, it's the most boring lifeless city in australia and it has the most digusting water you'll ever taste in a our country.

Avoid our numerous deadly snakes, sydney funnel web spider, redback "toilet seat" spider, crocodiles and white pointer shark down at local beaches..etc

and you should have a fantastic time down under.

MegacedU
03-13-2005, 12:10 PM
I've been recommended Adelaide and been told not to go to Adelaide in the same thread. LOL. I'd probably go see "Melbn" and some other places. What about the Australian L's - is it me or are they the cutest thing ever.

Scheiner
03-13-2005, 12:34 PM
I heard that Australia is very laid back, and so is their modern language. I am a skateboarder as well, outside my High School and Tennis life, and I was reading in a Transworld Skateboard magazine that they are very laid back and kind.

Baseline Basher
03-13-2005, 06:22 PM
I'm not going anywhere that advertises a SPIDER on your TOILET SEAT. THank you very much. Laid back, whatever. I wouldn't be laid back if I had to watch for tush-eating spiders every time I took a bathroom break.

And, if I had my tennis backpack with me, I could pull out my trusty pocketknife and we'll see if that Kangaroo would kick my ***** then.

Kirko
03-13-2005, 07:04 PM
I heard television didn't reach Australia until 1957 ; thats why they had those great Davis Cup teaqms & players . Extremely fit and practiced in playing tennis. Met a guy from Australia when I lived in Reno . We still keep in touch. Topflight people !

woodie55
03-14-2005, 03:35 AM
Okay time for a few misconceptions were cleared up.

Koalas - don't really bite but they have pretty nasty claws. They have two thumbs (not separate, one grows out from the other) and three fingers on each hand and each have claws. Know of one guy who tried to pick one up and had to have sixty five stitches inserted in his face. But normally they are too stoned to worry about anything. Eating eucalyptus oil all day tends to make you that way. Interesting thing is that Koala is Aboriginal for "no drink". Koalas do not normally need to drink as they obtain all their moisture from the gum leaves. Their urine is pretty strong smelling from eating the gum leaves.

Red Kangaroos - can grow to six feet or more. They are normally found in the semi arid to arid parts of Australia. Grey kangaroos are more often seen as they live more on the fringes of the populated areas. They can also grow to over six feet.

Dingoes - very few pure breed dingoes left in Australia. I think that one of the last places for pure breed dingoes is Fraser Island. Most of the others have bred with feral dogs. And yes the puppies are cute and I think that the dingo is a very nice looking dog. However they are still considered vermin in many parts of Australia and being native you are not allowed to keep them without a permit.

Redback Spiders - this is a popular story. Yes, when people had outdoor toilets which were open pits with the toilet built over them you could get redbacks under the toilet seat. However, pit toilets are not that common these days and are not found in urban or most rural areas. The chances of getting bit by a redback on the toilet seat are pretty minimal and I would say that you had more chance of getting hit by a herd of stampeding kangaroos. The bite of a redback is normally not deadly to an adult but can make you pretty sick. Funnel webs are deadly but are only found in NSW and I think Qld. They certainly are not found here in Victoria.

Snakes - yes we have some very poisonous snakes down here. The taipan is considered the world's deadliest land snake and yes you will die if you are not treated. However there is plenty of snake antidote round and people do not normally die from snake bite these days. As with most snakes if you don't trouble them they are not going to trouble you. They prefer to avoid confrontations. Ditto spiders. I won't even mention the great white sharks of Southern Australia or the tiger sharks in NSW and Qld or for that matter the blue ringed octupus in Victoria or the box jelly fish in Qld during the wet.

Television - reached Melbourne and Sydney in 1956 to telecast the Olympic Games being held in Melbourne. Living in the rural area where I am we did not get television reception until 1963. My family actually did not own a television until 1966. Electricity did not reach the town that I grew up in until 1963 either and I can still remember kerosene fridges, lamps and candles being used on a daily basis.

Crocodiles - being in Southern Australia I have not had any experience with crocodiles but would be very wary of them. Anything that sees you as lunch is not something you want to get up close and friendly with.

Friendliness - like all countries in the world most people here are friendly and the chances of you getting mugged or murdered here are less than say in New York or Las Angeles. Murders here are still rare enough to get mentioned prominently in the media and not just a ten word paragraph in the middle pages somewhere. Still as in all countries there are areas in major metropolitan cities where you need to exercise care.

Hope this helps

Woodie

bc-05
03-14-2005, 05:15 AM
lol ohh yeah i forgot about the longdrop toilets.... its formal name is decomposing toilets.. those things smells bad!ohh so the rumours about spiders and snakes under the seat is true.. and about redbacks sting is not deadly? i heard its pretty deadly but im not sure thoguh.. once i got beaten by it i was at the hospital for days.. i had huge swellings and i wasnt feeling to well.. actually i have redbacks in my garage.. ill take a pic of it tomro!!

Power Game
03-14-2005, 06:44 AM
Omg do koalas just run around like little squirrels?

Hah, imagine a koala running up to you while playing tennis. At my school we have a small hill next to the tennis courts and there is a beaver who lives there. I'm sure its not a beaver, but think of a beaver that lives on land, whatever they are called. Anyway, one ran onto my court while we played a college match. Pretty funny but it scared the hell out of me, it had these huge claws....

bismark
03-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Mmmmm......VEGEMITE