PDA

View Full Version : Safina= new no. 1!

vandre
04-20-2009, 07:03 AM
dinara safina just took over the #1 spot on the wta rankings. last time i checked, she'd not won a slam. i was wondering if the ppl who screamed bloody murder about jj being #1 have a problem with this or do they just not like jj? discuss.

Underhand
04-20-2009, 07:06 AM
Nobody cares about the WTA. /discussion

soyizgood
04-20-2009, 07:18 AM
JJ had weaker numbers when she got #1 in August. JJ also was the weakest year end #1 ever. That said, she's had #1 for more weeks than Venus.

Safina has a lot of points to defend starting in clay season, so we'll soon see if she can prove she's a real or paper #1.

ryushen21
04-20-2009, 07:33 AM
I think that Safina makes a better #1 than JJ because she has shown at least some good play. I also would have to say that I think she has a good chance to hold it for a while since they are going into the clay court season and she had a strong showing on the dirt last year.

Still, I would like to see her be more consistent and play strong instead of having to struggle and grind it out. If she straightens out and plays well I think that she should have a resonable shot at RG.

smO
04-20-2009, 07:40 AM

Agreed. :)

Safinator_1
04-20-2009, 08:00 AM
Agreed. :)

I second that motion yes, she is Safin's sister but by no means anything like my favourate

boredone3456
04-20-2009, 09:07 AM
I think that Safina makes a better #1 than JJ because she has shown at least some good play. I also would have to say that I think she has a good chance to hold it for a while since they are going into the clay court season and she had a strong showing on the dirt last year.

Still, I would like to see her be more consistent and play strong instead of having to struggle and grind it out. If she straightens out and plays well I think that she should have a resonable shot at RG.

Safina has not played well lately at all, especially since the Australian Open, if she had taken the top spot after the the US Open last I don't think it would be as big a deal as she would have just won the silver medal, the US Open series, and made it to the Semi's of the US Open. Since the Australian Open Semi's (she played god awful in the final so I won't include that), she has played terrible and seems to subconsciously not want to be #1. She won't hold it for long, the way she is playing now she most likely won't equal the points she won last year in Berlin and I highly doubt she makes the French Open final again, I won't talk the US Open series points as its to early but if I had to choose now I'd say no way she defends those either.

When JJ got to number 1 in august it was for a week and she lost it again promptly, when she got there the 2nd time she won 3 tournaments in a row to end the year which to me proved to some extent she was the best player in the world at the time, starting with the the US Open she played great tennis and it was sort of bad luck she drew Venus in the Semi's of the YES because Venus was really the only one there who would have beaten her the way she was playing.

Safina as of now is not playing like number 1, she has been lackluster this year at best, she looked awful in the Aussie Final getting handed a bagel by Serena and since then she has mentally inconsistant and seemingly afraid of the Number 1 spot. She could have gotten it at practically every tournament she has played since the Australian and has choked horribly each time, and now she is getting it because a reallocation of ranking points between Charleston and Marabella. If the points hadn't changed and Serena not been injured, I doubt Safina would even have the top spot because she isn't playing Well. At least Jankovic won 3 tournaments in a row during the real run she had with it, I doubt Safina will do that, at least as of now.

lordmanji
04-20-2009, 09:23 AM
safina is a choker. double faulted like crazy v dementieva at the olympics, then repeated that performance in australia.

the no.1 ranking should be barred from those who have not won a grand slam that year. it should be a simple fix since most no. 1's do win slams. otherwise that ranking is a joke.

bluetrain4
04-20-2009, 09:27 AM
I have no problem with Safina being No. 1. even though she hasn't won a Slam. No. 1 is simply a product of the ranking system. She has no control over it, and I'm sure she would rather be a Slam-champion No. 1. No reason to get upset with her.

So, she is completely a legitimate No. 1, though not a particularly strong No. 1 (in terms of actual tennis superiority over the rest of the field).

jones101
04-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Safina has not played well lately at all, especially since the Australian Open, if she had taken the top spot after the the US Open last I don't think it would be as big a deal as she would have just won the silver medal, the US Open series, and made it to the Semi's of the US Open. Since the Australian Open Semi's (she played god awful in the final so I won't include that), she has played terrible and seems to subconsciously not want to be #1. She won't hold it for long, the way she is playing now she most likely won't equal the points she won last year in Berlin and I highly doubt she makes the French Open final again, I won't talk the US Open series points as its to early but if I had to choose now I'd say no way she defends those either.

When JJ got to number 1 in august it was for a week and she lost it again promptly, when she got there the 2nd time she won 3 tournaments in a row to end the year which to me proved to some extent she was the best player in the world at the time, starting with the the US Open she played great tennis and it was sort of bad luck she drew Venus in the Semi's of the YES because Venus was really the only one there who would have beaten her the way she was playing.

Safina as of now is not playing like number 1, she has been lackluster this year at best, she looked awful in the Aussie Final getting handed a bagel by Serena and since then she has mentally inconsistant and seemingly afraid of the Number 1 spot. She could have gotten it at practically every tournament she has played since the Australian and has choked horribly each time, and now she is getting it because a reallocation of ranking points between Charleston and Marabella. If the points hadn't changed and Serena not been injured, I doubt Safina would even have the top spot because she isn't playing Well. At least Jankovic won 3 tournaments in a row during the real run she had with it, I doubt Safina will do that, at least as of now.

I agree 100% and think that this is the worst possible time for Safina to achieve this.

She has so much pressure on her shoulders going into clay season, new workd no 1, defending final & tier 1 points, trrying to win a first grandslam, on clay, where she will be a big favourtie, and all this when she has been playing by far her worst tennis since Berlin last year, and I think she knows it, by her statement she put out last week, mentioneding that she HOPES TO PROVE in upcoming weeks that she merits being no 1. Her play has not been anywhere near the level of last years, and she must know deep down.

I think that she may have an Ivanovic style fall from grace due to the pressure of all this, and it may take a while for her to recover, if at all.

I really like her as her person and her tennis can be awesome when she is on, but I think the timing of her ascending to number one is not good for her.

vandre
04-20-2009, 10:28 AM
I have no problem with Safina being No. 1. even though she hasn't won a Slam. No. 1 is simply a product of the ranking system. She has no control over it, and I'm sure she would rather be a Slam-champion No. 1. No reason to get upset with her.

So, she is completely a legitimate No. 1, though not a particularly strong No. 1 (in terms of actual tennis superiority over the rest of the field).

very good point, bluetrain.

gj011
04-20-2009, 10:29 AM

This applies to JJ too. I didn't see many posts like this when JJ took #1 last fall.

jamesblakefan#1
04-20-2009, 10:29 AM
You get #1 with consistent play, and not with just winning Slams. Serena does not play enough to maintain the #1 rank, therefore, she does not deserve the #1 ranking.

The_Question
04-20-2009, 10:38 AM
This is widely known since last Thursday...

CCNM
04-20-2009, 01:08 PM
At this point I also agree.

thetennistimes
04-20-2009, 01:20 PM
It is great to see a new world number one. Good to also think that she isnt a Williams sister.

soyizgood
04-20-2009, 09:08 PM
It is great to see a new world number one. Good to also think that she isnt a Williams sister.

Too bad Safina is yet another Serena worshipper. :cry:

Look at the top 10. Safina, Dementieva, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, Zvonareva, Petrova, even JJ and Venus all bow down to Serena in the big moments. Serena could be #1 for as long as she feels like it. Serena is probably just laughing this one off until Wimbledon.

Mick
04-20-2009, 09:13 PM
wow. maria sharapova is now number 64.

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/rankings/singles_numeric.asp

RCizzle65
04-20-2009, 09:14 PM
JJ had weaker numbers when she got #1 in August. JJ also was the weakest year end #1 ever. That said, she's had #1 for more weeks than Venus.

Really? How long did Venus have number one?

soyizgood
04-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Really? How long did Venus have number one?

Venus has the 2nd shortest total of weeks as a former #1. 12 weeks.

jamesblakefan#1
04-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Safina and Safin are the 1st bro/sis to be worlds #1