PDA

View Full Version : When you think about it, Fed is doing better than last year...

LanceStern
04-20-2009, 09:16 AM
He's not taking the early round exit crashings from Roddick, Murray and Mardy Fish?! In Miami, Dubai and Inidan Wells tournaments like last year.

He made it to the Australian Open final compared to the semis last year, and took his first early round exit here in Monte Carlo to Wawrinka, but his improved record in the other 3 tournaments compared to last year kind of outbalances that. He skipped Estoril this year.

His game and movement definitely look even more susceptible than last year even with mono, but he's not performing worse than last year, actually better.

Just a thought

nikdom
04-20-2009, 09:26 AM
This is the kind of stuff roger probably tells himself as he's sticking his neck in the sand. Just doing enough never kept anyone at the top. Stop making excuses for him and hope he's not doing so himself

pete92
04-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Last year he played so bad that he decided AO would be last tournament he tried in and once he lost that its been downhill ever since.

Masters cup 09 ..... Roger Federers last tourny before retirement

p.s. :lol:

LanceStern
04-20-2009, 09:31 AM
For a side by side comparison:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/LanceStern/Tourney2.jpg

The Result side of the chart shows whether it's an improvement or worse result compared to last year

LanceStern
04-20-2009, 09:42 AM
This is the kind of stuff roger probably tells himself as he's sticking his neck in the sand. Just doing enough never kept anyone at the top. Stop making excuses for him and hope he's not doing so himself

You think it's excuse making?

I'm trying to show the haters that say Fed is crashing and burning in 2009 for good that he's doing no worse than he did in 2008. He'll wind up in the French Open, Wimbledon and US Open finals again if the results stay the same.

drakulie
04-20-2009, 09:55 AM
He is doing better. Thanks for pointing it out to these momos.

SteveI
04-20-2009, 10:01 AM
For a side by side comparison:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/LanceStern/Tourney2.jpg

The Result side of the chart shows whether it's an improvement or worse result compared to last year

Nice job with the comparison.

Does anyone know this ATP points 2009 vs 2008 to this date?

Thanks... nice point!

batz
04-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Lance - if you just look at the raw stats, Roger is doing better than last year.

Now, put the stats to one side, look me in the cyber-eye and tell me you are more upbeat about the rest of Roger's career than you were at this time last year. Can you, hand on heart, say that?

LanceStern
04-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Yes I can.

He's absolutely crashing in one set against Nadal/Murray and Djokovic, and moving like garbage.

But I honestly believe he'll be coming back to win. It's motivating him, and he knows what he has to fix.

I'm more upbeat about the rest of his career because some of the pressure is off, he doesn't have to worry about being #1 and taking surprising upsets. Now he can play, hopefully enjoy it, and that's when he gets his best results.

I'm absolutely sure if he meets Nadal at Wimbledon 09 he'll take it.

Bassus
04-20-2009, 05:22 PM
He's not taking the early round exit crashings from Roddick, Murray and Mardy Fish?! In Miami, Dubai and Inidan Wells tournaments like last year.

He made it to the Australian Open final compared to the semis last year, and took his first early round exit here in Monte Carlo to Wawrinka, but his improved record in the other 3 tournaments compared to last year kind of outbalances that. He skipped Estoril this year.

His game and movement definitely look even more susceptible than last year even with mono, but he's not performing worse than last year, actually better.

Just a thought

The big difference from last year though is that Federer should have won the AO this year. Yeah, last year he had chances against Djokovic (up a break in the first), but he did seem off that tournament compared to his form at the end of 2007. This year, though, it was his for the taking.

Nadal was not at 100% after that marathon against Verdasco (and with a day less of rest). Federer twice goes up a break in the first but is unable to close it out. He is up 0-40 in one game and 15-40 in another in the third set, but is unable to break, and then plays an uninspired tiebreak. And then of course he completely folded in the fifth when momentum should have been his.

This year's AO was one that truly got away from Federer, and that it was yet another loss to Nadal made it all the more devestating.

vtmike
04-20-2009, 05:38 PM
The big difference from last year though is that Federer should have won the AO this year. Yeah, last year he had chances against Djokovic (up a break in the first), but he did seem off that tournament compared to his form at the end of 2007. This year, though, it was his for the taking.

Nadal was not at 100% after that marathon against Verdasco (and with a day less of rest). Federer twice goes up a break in the first but is unable to close it out. He is up 0-40 in one game and 15-40 in another in the third set, but is unable to break, and then plays an uninspired tiebreak. And then of course he completely folded in the fifth when momentum should have been his.

This year's AO was one that truly got away from Federer, and that it was yet another loss to Nadal made it all the more devestating.

Oh yeah he had his chances...no question about it! which is why it hurt even more when he lost

GameSampras
04-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Roger hasnt even won a tournament yet has he?

egn
04-20-2009, 05:46 PM

Yep..he is doing no better. Didn't he just get knocked out in a tournament in that he has made the finals of in the past few years and hasn't he has a 0-4 record against the other top 3 players.

He was 20-5 with a title at this point last year.
He is 18-5 with no titles this year? Better?

charliefedererer
04-20-2009, 07:40 PM
But last year he had mono for an excuse. All assumed he would do better as the effects of mono dissapated.

Chelsea_Kiwi
04-20-2009, 07:49 PM
This shows just how weak the field is. Fed playing worse then last year yet getting better results.

Beasty54
04-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Yes I can.

He's absolutely crashing in one set against Nadal/Murray and Djokovic, and moving like garbage.

But I honestly believe he'll be coming back to win. It's motivating him, and he knows what he has to fix.

I'm more upbeat about the rest of his career because some of the pressure is off, he doesn't have to worry about being #1 and taking surprising upsets. Now he can play, hopefully enjoy it, and that's when he gets his best results.

I'm absolutely sure if he meets Nadal at Wimbledon 09 he'll take it.

Im hoping your right.

Im no hardcore Fed fan, but watching him miss ball after ball is annoying.
Shankapottumus.

seffina
04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
He is doing better. Thanks for pointing it out to these momos.Like Momo from Avatar? He's so cute. I don't think Roger looks like him very much, though...

Maybe I'm just way to much of an optimist, but I also feel that he's not doing so much worse. I also feel that he'll show better results in Rome and Madrid and be a force again at the French. Yes, he lost to Stan, but it's not the end of the world. I can see that added together that it could be worrying, but I still have hope. I felt that maybe he just hadn't gotten his clay shoes in MC this year, so hopefully that'll change in Rome. Can't wait to see him play again.

veroniquem
04-20-2009, 09:45 PM

Just a thought
What do you mean early round exit crashes? Last year he lost to Roddick and Fish in semis and in quarters, this year he lost to Djoko and Murray in semis both tournaments, sure semi is better than quarter but it's not that huge a difference!
And of course he didn't crash in the first round in Dubai because he didn't play it!
The real crash was round 16 in Monte-Carlo instead of final. We'll see if he makes up for it by going farther than quarter in Rome.

NotSoSuper
04-20-2009, 09:48 PM
yeah but hes playing far less tournaments so its going to be nearly impossible for him to gain points, and this will most likely result in him dropping to 3 or 4 by the end of the year with his current form.

LanceStern
04-20-2009, 10:59 PM

Yep..he is doing no better. Didn't he just get knocked out in a tournament in that he has made the finals of in the past few years and hasn't he has a 0-4 record against the other top 3 players.

He was 20-5 with a title at this point last year.
He is 18-5 with no titles this year? Better?

I'm noticing consistency in your posts on Federer, but that's beyond the point.

If you didn't check out the topic beforehand, no he hasn't won a tournament this yeear, but he was at that same point last year. We can argue he'd be even BETTER this year if he had played Estoril, because he'd be like 22 - 5 with a title, but he skipped it.

Earlier than semis round crashes have happened to Fed before on clay even without "declining". Rememeber Fillipo Volandri in 07? Radek Stepanek in 08?

jamesblakefan#1
04-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Nice job with the comparison.

Does anyone know this ATP points 2009 vs 2008 to this date?

Thanks... nice point!

He's gonna have more pts this yr b/c of the change in the rankings system

rubberduckies
04-20-2009, 11:40 PM
When you really think about it, many of his results from the first half of 2008 were also better than his results in 2007. It's amazing what Fed can do even when claiming to have mono.

He had worse results at:
Australian
Dubai
Hamburg

He had better or equal results at:
IW
Miami
Monte Carlo
Rome
French

He also picked up two extra titles at Estoril and Halle.

Lotto
04-20-2009, 11:58 PM
I don't know why but my moneys on Fed winning his first title of the year at Halle...and not winning a second title until after the US Open. :(