PDA

View Full Version : how long before

jack mckinney
03-11-2005, 04:34 PM
How long does it take to get use to a players racquet when switching from a game improvement racquet? I just switched from a Wilson 5.3 oversize to the Prince Diablo midplus. Right now i just can't seem to find enough power to put balls away or to hit the big serve. I know there is anadjustment period to get use to the switch but just wondering what is a good amount of time to allow myself for this.

Z-Man
03-11-2005, 06:03 PM
I made a similar switch a few years ago as I progressed from
3.5 (Wilson 5.3)
4.0 (Prince Bandit)
4.5 (Prestige > POG LB)

I found that as I used progressively more demanding racquets, my form and footwork had to improve to get the same results. This helped me become a better player. That Wilson 5.3 lets you get away with not being in position and not taking a proper swing at the ball. Its power, balance, and spin might improve your match results, but the racquet is also covering over your bad habits. It might even be discouraging you from doing the right things mechanically because doing the right thing would generate too much power to control.

The Diablo is very different, but it is a great stick, and it will force you to develop better mechanics and footwork. It will punish you for being lazy, but this will encourage you to make positive changes in your game.

If you don't want to improve or if your results are suffering, you can go back, but in the long run, I think you'll find that to move up you'll have to take one step back in order to take two or three steps forward.

BreakPoint
03-11-2005, 06:19 PM
I guess that's always been the dilemma between using tweeners or game improvement racquets and using player's racquets. Do you want to win or do you want to be a better tennis player?

hummer23
03-11-2005, 06:28 PM
that shouldnt be a question for a player answer . the answer is you can get better, and as a result, win. like the saying goes, tis not the player its the racquet. no doubt a lower power control orietned frame gives great potential to swing bigger and hit nicer shots, but dont use it if you cant handle it. if you can, then it should improve your game by telling you waht you did wrong. as for your question, it could take a while to get used to that frame. think aobut hte fundamentalls, swing through the ball, drive forward, rotate your shoulders, step in. demanding isnt just a marketing term, its the truth. a frame like that feel terrible when you shank, thus enticing you do get in position to hit a beter shot. also, with your old frame you were able to line up and hit winners without really being in the rright spot os swinging perfectly. thats not the case anymore, you have to be there, and you have to swing just right. mp is a big difference from os, and the weight will really change the way the frame plays. you are going to have to go back to the basics of your game. ive come to realize teh bigger the racqeut, and mroe forgiving it is, the more we cheat. we dont really rotate enough, sometimes becasue we get lazy and can get power in other ways, and sometimes becasue if we do swing as hard as we can, the ball is just going out. do get used to and play well with your new frame will show you how much you cheat in the way you play. it will identify the flaws, so its a good thing to use it. stick with it, and i think your game will improve, becasue it has to.

Leon
03-11-2005, 08:21 PM
It took me about a month to really manage the Wilson HPS 6.1, coming from Prince Shark. With Shark, all I needed was just to get to the ball; the rest is not a problem. With HPS, I really need to: bend my knees, take a full swing, think about proper mechanic, and get the ball in to the sweet spot, that is smaller then Shark. It was frustrating experience at first, my game went down, and I was really thinking about go back. But, no longer - now I love this racquet (just wish it had a little bit more spin :) ), I can hit with control, my technique improved, my form is better.
So it might feel tough at first, but don't give up and it will pay at the end. Be aware different strings provide very diff feel. If doesn't feel right, it might get better with diff string (I hated it with NXT and love it with Gamma)
Good luck

jack mckinney
03-13-2005, 11:21 AM
thanks for the help