PDA

View Full Version : Best sliced backhand in the mens game?

Cesc Fabregas
04-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Murray or Federer imo.

slicekick95
04-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Murray or Federer imo.

IMO, Federer has the best attacking slice backhand, which he uses to draw opponents into the net with a weak approach shot. It is more of an offensive shot. Murray on the other hand, has a better defensive slice, just getting it back in deep over and over again until the opponent misses.

hoosierbr
04-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Fed. His short angled slice is still one of the best shots in the game.

Cesc Fabregas
04-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Fed. His short angled slice is still one of the best shots in the game.

Yeah it is sick his second best shot after his forehand.

UWTC
04-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Murray or Federer imo.

In light of some of your more recent posts Cesc, one might almost mistake you for a Murray fan :wink:

I would possibly add Gonzalez to those two.

edberg505
04-20-2009, 01:03 PM
In light of some of your more recent posts Cesc, one might almost mistake you for a Murray fan :wink:

What? Umm, NO!

Cesc Fabregas
04-20-2009, 01:05 PM

Gonzo's slice aint that great its ok but nowhere near the best in the game.

matchmaker
04-20-2009, 01:06 PM
I will have to pick Federer on this one.

UWTC
04-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Gonzo's slice aint that great its ok but nowhere near the best in the game.

Yeah perhaps his defensive slices aren't as strong as those two, but I love how he knifes his attacking and approach slices

kimbahpnam
04-20-2009, 01:12 PM
DY

I mean Fed.

35ft6
04-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Haas also has a good slice. Just saw some guy at Monte Carlo, Coppalli?, who used slice a lot. I remember thinking Henman had the best slice in the men's game when he was active.

mikeler
04-20-2009, 01:36 PM
1. Federer
2. Ljubicic

Motherwasp
04-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Andy Roddicks midcourt slice approach, followed closely by Fed. Maybe Santoro?

Breaker
04-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Feliciano Lopez, too bad he doesn't have a topspin backhand.

Cesc Fabregas
04-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Feliciano Lopez, too bad he doesn't have a topspin backhand.

His topspin backhand is the worst in the top 50.

egn
04-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Murray's is beautiful by far in my opinion the best one.

rubberduckies
04-20-2009, 02:34 PM
LOL at people calling Fed's slice an offensive shot.

The slice is the most pusher-like shot in tennis. There is no intention to create anything, just to lengthen the point and hope for an error. Fed is best at this shot and at pusher tennis in general.

Cesc Fabregas
04-20-2009, 02:36 PM

The slice is the most pusher-like shot in tennis. There is no intention to create anything, just to lengthen the point and hope for an error. Fed is best at this shot and at pusher tennis in general.

Not true for example Sampras' approach slice was a weapon.

Ballinbob
04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
i don't get what makes someones slice better than anothers slice. To me it seems like every pro has a good slice to be honest.

I'm probably wrong though. Can someone give me a player with a really bad slice so I can compare it to Feds maybe? Because a slice doesn't seem like a shot you can really be good at, but that's just me

So prove me wrong lol:)

Frankauc
04-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Nadal's slice is the best. so much backspin on it

rubberduckies
04-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Not true for example Sampras' approach slice was a weapon.

You're right, of course an approach shot is an aggressive move.

I'm talking about a regular slice.

deltox
04-20-2009, 03:09 PM

thats semi not true,, a slice shot is a great weapon to use to KEEP flat hitters off the offensive

he constantly uses this shot on roddick when they play, roddick cannot go for his weapon (the flat forehand) with the ball so low to the ground

oscar_2424
04-20-2009, 03:17 PM
rafa nadal

Clydey2times
04-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Murray or Haas.

edberg505
04-20-2009, 03:32 PM

Well, that makes Nadal a pusher.

Clydey2times
04-20-2009, 03:33 PM
i don't get what makes someones slice better than anothers slice. To me it seems like every pro has a good slice to be honest.

I'm probably wrong though. Can someone give me a player with a really bad slice so I can compare it to Feds maybe? Because a slice doesn't seem like a shot you can really be good at, but that's just me

So prove me wrong lol:)

Look at, for example, Djokovic's slice and compare it to Murray's, Haas', or Fed's. If hit right, the slice is a tough shot to deal with. If a player can really knife it, the shot will stay extremely low and won't really be attackable. You'll often see an error because it's tough to get under the ball when it's so low.

A lot of players have a slice that sits up and is easy to attack.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
04-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Federer all the way!

Ballinbob
04-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Look at, for example, Djokovic's slice and compare it to Murray's, Haas', or Fed's. If hit right, the slice is a tough shot to deal with. If a player can really knife it, the shot will stay extremely low and won't really be attackable. You'll often see an error because it's tough to get under the ball when it's so low.

A lot of players have a slice that sits up and is easy to attack.

oh yeah gotcha now. just watched the andy vs novak final they had awhile back and theres a big difference. andy's is much better compared to noles because like you said it stays lower.

thanks for the clarification:)

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Federer's slice obviously. However latley it hasn't been as sharp...

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 03:55 PM

Funny that a Nadal fan is calling another player the best at pusher tennis. The irony...

Chris De Tone
04-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Radek Stepanek...he mixes it up so nicely with that shot. Also, if you have a good slice backhand and use it often it can disguise the dropshot. To those that think of the slice as a purely defensive shot...that's your opinion. I like it as a set up shot for other weapons. It is a smart shot and has a place for sure.

jmjmkim
04-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Federer fo sure.

Beasty54
04-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Marat Safin.

I like Stepaneks.

Serendipitous
04-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Andy Murray.....he has amazing touch.

King of Aces
04-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Murray or Federer imo.

Federer.

The-Champ
04-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Andy Roddicks midcourt slice approach, followed closely by Fed. Maybe Santoro?

Is that the slice he uses everytime his opponent passes him left and right at the net?

AAUS
04-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Federer tries to do too much with his slice and this year he hasnt been playing too well and theres a lot of times hes missed a slice when hes in position in the middle of the net because hes trying to cut so much on the ball

aphex
04-20-2009, 08:40 PM

The above speaks volumes about the level of tennis knowledge on this forum__there is no intention to create anything with the slice___haha, u r totally clueless (like most *******s)...go and watch some pre 2000 tennis

defrule
04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Federer for sure.

He doesn't hit it much now and I don't know if he still has it but his slice was crazy.

Motherwasp
04-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Is that the slice he uses everytime his opponent passes him left and right at the net?

You bet! I love how he will go into the net behind the worst approch shots ever.

35ft6
04-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Gonzo's slice aint that great its ok but nowhere near the best in the game.Yeah, when he got to the Aussie finals, I kept hearing about his new slice backhand and I thought it looked pretty horrible. The only thing it did was keep him from going for a crazy backhand winner and slice it to keep him in the point and it helped him a lot, but in and of itself, it was a pretty floaty slice.The slice is the most pusher-like shot in tennis. There is no intention to create anything, just to lengthen the point and hope for an error. You've never played somebody with a good slice. Used correctly, it's like a jab in boxing, meant to keep people off balance, to set up the big knockout. You don't have to hit winners in order to be offensive and impose your game on somebody. For most extreme example, watch Steffi Graf.i don't get what makes someones slice better than anothers slice. To me it seems like every pro has a good slice to be honest.Okay, lets apply that to forehands. Don't you think every pro player has a good forehand? So what makes one forehand better than another? Power? Placement? Versatility? Consistency? All of the aforementioned?

sh@de
04-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Fed's of course.

Originally Posted by rubberduckies

LOLOLOLOL wow just how do you come up with stuff like this? It's actually amazing how you can call Fed the best pusher at tennis...

BreakPoint
04-21-2009, 02:06 AM

Many opponents can't handle a well hit slice that skids and bounces low, especially those with western forehand grips and/or two-handed backhands. It drives a lot of opponents nuts when you hit shots that barely bounce and don't have much pace on them. Many lose patience and as a result, overhit or make unforced errors off of the sliced shot. Yes, the slice is a very effective offensive shot.

Cesc Fabregas
04-21-2009, 02:08 AM
Many opponents can't handle a well hit slice that skids and bounces low, especially those with western forehand grips and/or two-handed backhands. It drives a lot of opponents nuts when you hit shots that barely bounce and don't have much pace on them. Many lose patience and as a result, overhit or make unforced errors off of the sliced shot. Yes, the slice is a very effective offensive shot.

So are you saying Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Nalbandian and Davydenko can't handle slice :confused:.

BreakPoint
04-21-2009, 02:12 AM
So are you saying Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Nalbandian and Davydenko can't handle slice :confused:.
I'm not talking about the pros.

But speaking of pros, not too many of them are able to attack Federer off of his sliced shots.

P_Agony
04-21-2009, 02:41 AM

Del Potro has a hard time dealing with Fed's low slices.

Also I forgot to mention Taylor Dent. The guy has some killer approach slices.

AndrewD
04-21-2009, 03:50 AM
Murray or Federer imo.

Not even close. Taylor Dent has the best sliced backhand in men's tennis. Reason being that, as an attacking player he automatically puts more weight into it than guys like Federer or Murray and, subsequently, gets more bite. Even when he isn't coming in to the net he still leans into the shot more than guys like Fed and Andy (who hit a bloody good slice, just not as penetrating as Dent).

Cesc Fabregas
04-21-2009, 03:53 AM
Not even close. Taylor Dent has the best sliced backhand in men's tennis. Reason being that, as an attacking player he automatically puts more weight into it than guys like Federer or Murray and, subsequently, gets more bite. Even when he isn't coming in to the net he still leans into the shot more than guys like Fed and Andy (who hit a bloody good slice, just not as penetrating as Dent).

Disagree Murray and Fed's rally slice is better than Dent's they can put it in unconfortable places for their opponents and have have great control with it. Dent might have a better approach slice but we don't know because he comes to net more than Federer or Murray.

velkov
04-21-2009, 04:07 AM
federer i vote :)

Ian Stewart
04-21-2009, 04:37 AM
None of them hit a slice the way I like to see it hit. Or at least not often enough. I share Breakpoint's view that slice is (or could be) primarily an attacking shot. Consequently I like to hit a slice with full racquet speed and a stabbing rhythm. Very few pro players hit this shot anymore* - they save the slice for defence or containment. I really don't know why; properly executed an attacking slice is a savage shot for your opponent to deal with.

BTW, If I see Fed hit one more topspin approach shot I'll scream. :twisted:

* Taylor Dent does.

Andyk028
04-21-2009, 05:50 AM
Feddddddddddd

dannykl
04-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Ken Rosewall has the best slice ever in men's tennis. Steffi Graf's is the best in women's tennis.

Jonny S&V
04-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Murray has a better slice backhand then Dent? No, Murray has better movement then Dent, making his slice seem better then it actually is. Dent, Mahut, and Lopez all have the best slice backhands IMO (especially Dent and Lopez, Dent's is just rock solid and Lopez's is hit so flat that they are both great offensively, but Dent is just too slow and Lopez to spaztic to back them up at a top 10 level).

Clydey2times
04-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Del Potro has a hard time dealing with Fed's low slices.

Also I forgot to mention Taylor Dent. The guy has some killer approach slices.

Murray sliced Del Potro to death at the US Open. He gave the blueprint when Pony started to peak.

coyfish
04-22-2009, 11:34 AM
My money is on fed's. He can place that thing anywhere and it just floats all the way to the baseline. Im a 4.5 player and I can't manage to slice that deep / low so consistantly.

Murray has a good slice too but imo he uses it only in defensive positions. If hes in trouble he just floats it back. Fed on the other hand can do the same thing but also has more control over it and can kiss any line with that shot.

Clydey2times
04-22-2009, 12:04 PM
My money is on fed's. He can place that thing anywhere and it just floats all the way to the baseline. Im a 4.5 player and I can't manage to slice that deep / low so consistantly.

Murray has a good slice too but imo he uses it only in defensive positions. If hes in trouble he just floats it back. Fed on the other hand can do the same thing but also has more control over it and can kiss any line with that shot.

Murray slices a lot to change up the pace. Nadal is a player who slices almost exclusively as a defensive shot.

paulorenzo
04-22-2009, 02:05 PM
rosewall, sampras, federer. in that order.
i'm not sure if anyone mentioned rosewall yet.

Melissa
04-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Used to be Fed. But now? Murray,Djok and Nadal.

thejoe
04-22-2009, 02:14 PM
rosewall, sampras, federer. in that order.
i'm not sure if anyone mentioned rosewall yet.

I don't see how the Sampras slice is in any way better than Federer's. Sure, Rosewall used to hit passing shots with the slice, but from what I've seen, Sampras' slice was very average.

^Guy above: You're kidding, right? Nadal and Djokovic better slicers than Federer? I don't even think Murray is...

P_Agony
04-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Nadal's slice IMO is far from great. It can drop too short at times and he uses it to defend when he's under pressure. It did improve however, but it's far from the best slice on tour.

Cesc Fabregas
04-22-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't see how the Sampras slice is in any way better than Federer's. Sure, Rosewall used to hit passing shots with the slice, but from what I've seen, Sampras' slice was very average.

^Guy above: You're kidding, right? Nadal and Djokovic better slicers than Federer? I don't even think Murray is...

Sampras' approach slice was sick.

Bobble
04-22-2009, 02:31 PM
For Offense:
Federer
Stepanek
Murray
Llodra

In Rallies:
Federer
Hewitt
Djokovic
Grosjean
Murray
Stepanek
Gonzo

For Defense:
Nadal
Gasquet
Murray
Gonzo

P_Agony
04-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Sampras' approach slice was sick.

Sampras had a very good slice. But to claim Djokovic or Nadal have better/equal slices than Murray and Federer is a joke.

Currently however Federer's slice is failing him just like every other shot. But normally I'd say it's the best in the tour.

paulorenzo
04-22-2009, 02:37 PM

sampras's shot had more pace and landed deeper than fed's and stayed very low. i'm not saying fed's is bad at all, but fed uses it to draw the opponent near for weak replies that he can pounce on. pete did this but he could also hit it deep with pace, especially on the approach*, which would throw any baseliner off.

it is far from average friend. i'm one who thinks that sampras's ground game was overated, but sampras's slice is sublime.

*edit

Andres
04-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Feli Lopez has a mean, mean slice backhand.

Golden Retriever
04-22-2009, 10:16 PM
If Slice is so special, why don't everybody just hit nothing but slice for the backhand? Karlovic would be the one with the best backhand since he only slices.

World Beater
04-22-2009, 10:20 PM
federer owns the slice on the defense and as an attack shot as well.

i would say rafter, henman and sampras had slightly better slices when approaching the net chip and charge style...but the variety and spin federer is unmatched.

World Beater
04-22-2009, 10:21 PM
murray's slice...lol...nadal...double lol. djoker triple lol.

Toxicmilk
04-22-2009, 11:12 PM
If Slice is so special, why don't everybody just hit nothing but slice for the backhand? Karlovic would be the one with the best backhand since he only slices.

If armies can bomb their enemies, why do they still carry small arms?

35ft6
04-23-2009, 12:01 AM
If Slice is so special, why don't everybody just hit nothing but slice for the backhand?Well if a slice serve out wide is so special then why don't everybody just hit nothing but that serve?

paulorenzo
04-23-2009, 12:04 AM

this tactic can be effective in highschool tennis, where errors will decide a match rather than winners. in the tour however, players are able to adapt too well if one gives a rhythm (slicing every shot).

the big thing about slices is that the opponent isn't always prepared for the shot, especially when used in neutral rallies or offensively. it can throw them off, keep them at bay, and prevent them from taking a huge, powerful cut on the ball.
that's why people use them sparingly, and really good players can help dictate play with them.

ferim
04-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Roger Federer IMO

sh@de
04-23-2009, 12:11 AM
Not Djokovic man... Murray, Fed, and probably even Nadal's slices are way better. I think Fed and Murray are close... but I'd give the edge to Fed cos he seems to use it in many more ways; I don't think Nadal's that great at slicing.

BreakPoint
04-23-2009, 12:43 AM
That's exactly what Steffi Graf did. And she won 22 Grand Slams doing it. :)

misterg
04-23-2009, 12:44 AM
Flavio Cipolla by far!

Leublu tennis
04-23-2009, 05:32 AM
A five ...........

Rogisbestever
04-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Le Fed has best current era slice IMO - for both offence and defence. 2nd best probably Murray but there are very few double handed players that traditionally have had great slice backhands... one handers have always tended to have the better stoke (Edberg, Becker, Lendl, Sampras, Henman, Federer etc etc etc)

Golden Retriever
04-23-2009, 07:40 AM
That's exactly what Steffi Graf did. And she won 22 Grand Slams doing it. :)

Steffi who?

OliverSimon
04-23-2009, 08:13 AM
either Gonzo or Fed

Cesc Fabregas
04-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Sampras had a very good slice. But to claim Djokovic or Nadal have better/equal slices than Murray and Federer is a joke.

Currently however Federer's slice is failing him just like every other shot. But normally I'd say it's the best in the tour.

Nadal has a good defensive slice I agree with you that Djokovic's slice is poor.

M J
04-23-2009, 10:04 AM
TV does not capture how nasty Federer's slice is. I saw him practice in person and was absolutely amazed at the pace and bite he gets on that shot. It's heavy and barely leaves the ground off the bounce; it probably feels like returning a bowling ball. The typical 4.0 player would rarely be able to even get it over the net.

That's not enough evidence to say that Federer's slice is the best, but it is certainly awesome.

BreakPoint
04-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Steffi who?
Steffi Agassi.

swedechris
04-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Murray
Federer
Dent
me...