PDA

View Full Version : Will Roger regain the number 1 slot?

batz
04-20-2009, 11:57 AM
When Rafa took the number 1 slot late last summer I genuinely expected there to be a ding dong battle for King of The Hill over the months that followed, but it's been pretty much one way traffic.

After losing number 1, Roger made some noises about getting it back, but I don't think it's a focus item for him now - that's what slams are for.

I've got no doubt Roger will be there or thereabouts at the slams this season and maybe next season too, but I don't think he'll be top dog in the rankings again.

GameSampras
04-20-2009, 12:00 PM
no chance in hell. Roger will not regain the number 1 back and sure as heck wont surpass Pete's 6 years as number 1. Pete will have that a record a LONG LONG LONG TIME!!!

edberg505
04-20-2009, 12:03 PM
no chance in hell. Roger will not regain the number 1 back and sure as heck wont surpass Pete's 6 years as number 1. Pete will have that a record a LONG LONG LONG TIME!!!

Correction, year end number one.

GameSampras
04-20-2009, 12:03 PM

ok year end number 1. :)

Cesc Fabregas
04-20-2009, 12:09 PM

What do you have against Sampras?

Jaewonnie
04-20-2009, 12:10 PM
1 vote for eating Lego.:)

r2473
04-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Whew! Finally someone addressed this question!

Oh look, a poll too!

batz
04-20-2009, 12:14 PM
1 vote for eating Lego.:)

That option is there for special people just like you:)

Jaewonnie
04-20-2009, 12:16 PM
That option is there for special people just like you:)

thank you for being so considerate:)

batz
04-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Whew! Finally someone addressed this question!

Oh look, a poll too!

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit you know:wink:

veroniquem
04-20-2009, 12:17 PM
ok year end number 1. :)
And total # of weeks as #1 :)

edberg505
04-20-2009, 12:18 PM

I don't have anything against Sampras. He's one of my favourites. I don't think I missed a single match of the guy playing when he was on tv. I have tons of his matches on dvds. I used to use the old pro staff. Hell, I still watch him now on the seniors tour. I have no problem at all with Sampras. What I do have a problem with are the Sampras fanboys who seem to try with all of their might to discredit Federer. Why can't they just appreciate them both? I mean I do. I think the more appropriate question is what do the Sampras fanboys have against Federer? And what exactly did I say to make you think that I have something against Sampras?

VivalaVida
04-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Legos ftw!

Cesc Fabregas
04-20-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't have anything against Sampras. He's one of my favourites. I don't think I missed a single match of the guy playing when he was on tv. I have tons of his matches on dvds. I used to use the old pro staff. Hell, I still watch him now on the seniors tour. I have no problem at all with Sampras. What I do have a problem with are the Sampras fanboys who seem to try with all of their might to discredit Federer. Why can't they just appreciate them both? I mean I do. I think the more appropriate question is what do the Sampras fanboys have against Federer? And what exactly did I say to make you think that I have something against Sampras?

In every single thread you jump on GameSampras and big up Federer and knock Sampras.

VivalaVida
04-20-2009, 12:23 PM
In every single thread you jump on GameSampras and big up Federer and knock Sampras.
The irony is killing me. :lol: you have got it all wrong. Clowns like gamesampras go in every thread and big up sampras and discredit federer. Those hardcore sampras fanboys are ones who started crap like this in the first place.

edberg505
04-20-2009, 12:26 PM

Every single thread? Hmm, well some one is embellishing quite a bit. Like I said I'm a huge Sampras fan but these other Sampras fanboys almost make we want to not like the guy. I see you totally ignored my other question in my last post.

Cesc Fabregas
04-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Every single thread? Hmm, well some one is embellishing quite a bit. Like I said I'm a huge Sampras fan but these other Sampras fanboys almost make we want to not like the guy. I see you totally ignored my other question in my last post.

You mean the what do Sampras fanboys have against Federer question?

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 12:28 PM

What do you have against Federer?

veroniquem
04-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Don't worry, he jumps on Nadal too, he jumps on anything that threatens Fed's supremacy :???:

Cesc Fabregas
04-20-2009, 12:30 PM
What do you have against Federer?

I don't like his personality that much too arrogant but I do like his game.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 12:31 PM

It's not really that hard to jump on GameSampras, as he discredits Fed in every chance he gets. He makes him look like the luckiest guy on earth that had such a weak competition, and if Nadal, Murray and Djokovic were in their primes in 2005, Federer wouldn't win half of his grand slams. This claim, is of course, a joke.

VivalaVida
04-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Don't worry, he jumps on Nadal too, he jumps on anything that threatens Fed's supremacy :???:
you dont have much room to talk yourself. You jump on federer every chance you get. :lol:

Cesc Fabregas
04-20-2009, 12:34 PM
It's not really that hard to jump on GameSampras, as he discredits Fed in every chance he gets. He makes him look like the luckiest guy on earth that had such a weak competition, and if Nadal, Murray and Djokovic were in their primes in 2005, Federer wouldn't win half of his grand slams. This claim, is of course, a joke.

Maybe he overexadurated but there is truth to what he says Federer did benefit from a weak era.

helloworld
04-20-2009, 12:35 PM

I think edberg505 is a fan of both Fed and Sampras, but he probably prefers Federer, so when someone attack his more favorite player, he feels that he has to defend Fed.

edberg505
04-20-2009, 12:35 PM

I jump on Nadal? Show me where I do that. I've said it once and I'll say it again. I don't like Nadal's game. Which makes me question how some of these Sampras fans can like Nadal because it's not like they are mirror images of each other.

Cesc Fabregas
04-20-2009, 12:38 PM
I jump on Nadal? Show me where I do that. I've said it once and I'll say it again. I don't like Nadal's game. Which makes me question how some of these Sampras fans can like Nadal because it's not like they are mirror images of each other.

I can only speak for myself but Sampras is my all time favourite player and Nadal is my current favourite player why? because they are both mentally strong, don't back down in the big moments and are down to earth guys.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 12:38 PM
I don't like his personality that much too arrogant but I do like his game.

Well, I don't understand why but I guess it's your choice. Sampras happends to be one of my all time favorites and I don't think he's greater than Federer or vice versa - I think they're just different, each of them great at his own style. But GameSampras disvredits Fed in every chance he gets. Even threads that have nothing to do with Fed suffer from his "weak field" posts.

I understand he doesn't want Pete's record to be broken (he'd be an odd Sampras fan if he did want it to), but that's hardly an excuse to discredit Fed's results. It's like I would say Nadal plays in a weak era just because I don't like the fact he's dominating everybody at the moment. It would make me look like a clown. So no, instead, I give Nadal all of his hard earned credit. Even if I hate his game, the guys has earned everything he has won. It's his results, his credit.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Maybe he overexadurated but there is truth to what he says Federer did benefit from a weak era.

Federer did not play in a weak era. One could even argue it was stronger than today's. I've shown GameSampras numerical facts that his claim is false, and yet he avoided me because he simply didn't want to face the truth.

VivalaVida
04-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Okay fine. I am fed fan and I will give in to that claim but he should realize himself that sampras benefited from playing "Giants" such as Pioline, Martin, Chang, Ivanisevic, Moya .Had he played better players, sampras wouldnt be at 14:rolleyes:

helloworld
04-20-2009, 12:41 PM
I can only speak for myself but Sampras is my all time favourite player and Nadal is my current favourite player why? because they are both mentally strong, don't back down in the big moments and are down to earth guys.
Yeah, both Sampras and Nadal don't think of themselves as some sort of tennis god, but Federer does have that 'Look at me, I'm a tennis god.' attitude in him.

edberg505
04-20-2009, 12:43 PM
I think edberg505 is a fan of both Fed and Sampras, but he probably prefers Federer, so when someone attack his more favorite player, he feels that he has to defend Fed.

It's not really even that. I like them both. But it seems to be more fashionable shoot down Federer. He's not my favourite I really like watching serve and volleyers play. I'll put it this way. If by some miracle Taylor Dent or Nicolas Mahut ends up in the Wimbledon final and either of them are playing Federer then I'm rooting for Mahut and Dent. I like watching serve and volleyers play, so that's why I was and still am a huge fan of Sampras. Hell, I'm hoping Tsonga just runs through everyone this Wimbledon. Allez Tsonga!!!

Cesc Fabregas
04-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Yeah, both Sampras and Nadal don't think of themselves as some sort of tennis god, but Federer does have that 'Look at me, I'm a tennis god.' attitude in him.

Yeah it annoys me when he raises he finger when does a good shot the guy is very arrogant.

veroniquem
04-20-2009, 12:44 PM
you dont have much room to talk yourself. You jump on federer every chance you get. :lol:
He's given me a lot of chances recently :twisted:

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 12:45 PM
It's not really even that. I like them both. But it seems to be more fashionable shoot down Federer. He's not my favourite I really like watching serve and volleyers play. I'll put it this way. If by some miracle Taylor Dent or Nicolas Mahut ends up in the Wimbledon final and either of them are playing Federer then I'm rooting for Mahut and Dent. I like watching serve and volleyers play, so that's why I was and still am a huge fan of Sampras. Hell, I'm hoping Tsonga just runs through everyone this Wimbledon. Allez Tsonga!!!

Dent and Federer had a very entertaining match in Miami or Indian Wells (can't remember which). It had plenty of big serves and net play. I assume you enjoyed it - I did.

icedevil0289
04-20-2009, 12:46 PM

say what? I don't even think edberg505 is that big of a fan of federer. Just because someone dislikes nadal, doesn't make them automatically a huge fed fan. They are not always linked.

edberg505
04-20-2009, 12:47 PM

What I'm really waiting for is for Djokovic and Murray to end up with the same number of slams as Hewitt and Safin. If that happens we'll see him eating some giant crow, because he's adamant in the fact that those two guys are better than Hewitt or Safin even though they don't have the slams to prove it yet.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Yeah it annoys me when he raises he finger when does a good shot the guy is very arrogant.

Okay, now you are just being a hypocrite, because nobody, nobody celebrates points more than Nadal. The guy goes crazy when he hits a good shot. I even remember in his match against Gil he had a nice point and Gil fell yet Nadal didn't even check up on him and went on to celebrate. Federer barely raises his hand and only in very speical points.

veroniquem
04-20-2009, 12:49 PM
It's becoming easy to make fun of though, the way he's been playing lately...

Cesc Fabregas
04-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Okay, now you are just being a hypocrite, because nobody, nobody celebrates points more than Nadal. The guy goes crazy when he hits a good shot. I even remember in his match against Gil he had a nice point and Gil fell yet Nadal didn't even check up on him and went on to celebrate. Federer barely raises his hand and only in very speical points.

Nadal does a fist pump thats to express passion and joy raising your finger displays arrogance like 'look how great I am' big difference.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 12:52 PM
He's given me a lot of chances recently :twisted:

You have proved lately time after time to be a huge fangirl, and you have the nerves to talk about edberg505? He's one of the most honest posters in this forum from what I've read.

veroniquem
04-20-2009, 12:53 PM
say what? I don't even think edberg505 is that big of a fan of federer. Just because someone dislikes nadal, doesn't make them automatically a huge fed fan. They are not always linked.
Well if he jumps on both Nadal and Sampras while always defending Federer, it's really hard not to come to certain conclusions :) regardless of whether he's a fan of other players as well. I've been on this board for quite some time, so I know he's a big Fed fan!

icedevil0289
You have proved lately time after time to be a huge fangirl, and you have the nerves to talk about edberg505? He's one of the most honest posters in this forum from what I've read.

while I agree that veroniquem is a fangirl, in that recent post she is talking about federer giving her a lot of chances to jump on him.

edberg505

Yeah, that seems to be the assumption nowadays. I don't know how many times I have to say that I think Nadal is a great guy. I don't have a problem with him at all. But that doesn't mean I have to like his tennis. I'm not a fan of Murray's brand of tennis either. I think he's just like Hewitt to be honest, and I couldn't stand that guy.

P_Agony
Nadal does a fist pump thats to express passion and joy raising your finger displays arrogance like 'look how great I am' big difference.

I guess it's up to how one interprets it. I see Nadal's celebrations as arrogant and even barbaric. But to each his own.

edberg505
04-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Well if he jumps on both Nadal and Sampras while always defending Federer, it's really hard not to come to certain conclusions :) regardless of whether he's a fan of other players as well. I've been on this board for quite some time, so I know he's a big Fed fan!

I'm patiently waiting for you to come up with these post where I put down Nadal and his achievements. I challenged you and one other Nadal fan to do so, and you have yet to produce them. Morrisey even put one of my quotes about Nadal as his signature and yet I put down Nadal all the time, so produce a post.

icedevil0289
04-20-2009, 12:55 PM

right ofcourse, you know everything. Anyways, read his other post. I didn't say he was not a fan, but not as big you make it sound. Read his other recent post. Personally I don't think he's jumping on nadal or sampras, but more on the fans. Big difference there.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 12:56 PM
while I agree that veroniquem is a fangirl, in that recent post she is talking about federer giving her a lot of chances to jump on him.

Jumping on Federer because he's not playing well? Is that a crime now? I don't remember myself dancing around with happiness and joy when Nadal losses. Let alone jump on him.

icedevil0289
04-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Jumping on Federer because he's not playing well? Is that a crime now? I don't remember myself dancing around with happiness and joy when Nadal losses. Let alone jump on him.

i think its more about his recent press conferences and all of that. But if we got into that now, that discussion would go on forever.

GameSampras
04-20-2009, 12:59 PM

Obviously u werent around the tennis boards back in 04-06 or so. Back then it was "Oh Roger is GOAT and hes so much better than Sampras. Sampras would get destroyed by Roger " yada yada. Now we are just getting our revenge after years of abuse we sampras has fans have had to endure. What goes around comes around

veroniquem
Yes that's one way you jump at him (repeating how you dislike his game), the other way is what you just did in the "Nadal must raise his game" thread, jumping on the interview and accusing Rafa of arrogance for a TONI interview that analyzes Rafa's game. Totally out of line, but hey , gave you a chance to jump on Rafa for no good reason!

edberg505
Dent and Federer had a very entertaining match in Miami or Indian Wells (can't remember which). It had plenty of big serves and net play. I assume you enjoyed it - I did.

I loved every second of it. And like I said if by some miracle those to make it to the finals of Wimbledon, I'm pulling for Dent. And it's not because I want Dent to stop Federer from breaking Pete's record it's because I genuinely like the guy and his playing style. I can't say the same for some of these alleged Nadal fans.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 01:00 PM
i think its more about his recent press conferences and all of that. But if we got into that now, that discussion would go on forever.

What, the one after the Wawrinka match when Fed said he lost to the better player? The one Fed said he always thought Nadal was not just a clayer but also an all court player? Was it the Federer who donated his jet so Nadal can play in Canada? Was it the Fed who visited Nadal when he was injured? Was it the Fed who was the only one who checked up on Blake when he was in the hospital?

I'm sick of people making Federer look like some kind of monster. Yes, he's not perfect, he has a big mouth sometimes and he needs to think twice before he opens it. Nadal is far from perfect too.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Yes that's one way you jump at him (repeating how you dislike his game), the other way is what you just did in the "Nadal must raise his game" thread, jumping on the interview and accusing Rafa of arrogance for a TONI interview that analyzes Rafa's game. Totally out of line, but hey , gave you a chance to jump on Rafa for no good reason!

Disliking someone's game is not jumping on him. Nadal_Freak always states he hates Fed's game. Fine, those are reasonable posts. But I never went beyond that, and I think neither did Edberg505. Nadal_Freak is the one pushing the limits - did you ever critisize his posts?

edberg505
04-20-2009, 01:04 PM

Hahahah, how is that any difference than what you say about Federer. And yeah, I don't think he gave any credit whatsoever to the 2 guys that pushed him (and I don't even like Murray). We all know Nadal is probably the greatest clay courter to ever play the game so why can't he just give those guys credit that pushed him. And how is me saying that I don't like his game a way to jump at him? If I don't like his game then I don't like his game. We all have personal preferences. Why would I like his game when I like watching people like Mahut, Tsonga, Dent, and Federer? You can't make me like his game anymore than I can make you like Federer's.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Obviously u werent around the tennis boards back in 04-06 or so. Back then it was "Oh Roger is GOAT and hes so much better than Sampras. Sampras would get destroyed by Roger " yada yada. Now we are just getting our revenge after years of abuse we sampras has fans have had to endure. What goes around comes around

Revenge on posters who weren't even posting here at the time? Quite childish. What are you 9 years old? The posts you mentioned indeed sound annoying and I would have been annoyed myself as a Fed fan. But you can't use that as an excuse for jumping on Federer in nearly every thread.

icedevil0289
Hahahah, how is that any difference than what you say about Federer. And yeah, I don't think he gave any credit whatsoever to the 2 guys that pushed him (and I don't even like Murray). We all know Nadal is probably the greatest clay courter to ever play the game so why can't he just give those guys credit that pushed him. And how is me saying that I don't like his game a way to jump at him? If I don't like his game then I don't like his game. We all have personal preferences. Why would I like his game when I like watching people like Mahut, Tsonga, Dent, and Federer? You can't make me like his game anymore than I can make you like Federer's.

let me break it down for you. Basically if federer says he did not play well, that is not giving credit to his opponents and he is arrogant. If its nadal, he is only telling the truth.

veroniquem
I'm patiently waiting for you to come up with these post where I put down Nadal and his achievements. I challenged you and one other Nadal fan to do so, and you have yet to produce them. Morrisey even put one of my quotes about Nadal as his signature and yet I put down Nadal all the time, so produce a post.
You have some nerve because you have just put him down in the Toni interview thread 2 minutes ago, accusing Nadal of being smug and not giving credit to his opponent for something Toni said and a short quote from Rafa that had nothing to do with the post match interview or with any match at all.

icedevil0289
04-20-2009, 01:07 PM
I loved every second of it. And like I said if by some miracle those to make it to the finals of Wimbledon, I'm pulling for Dent. And it's not because I want Dent to stop Federer from breaking Pete's record it's because I genuinely like the guy and his playing style. I can't say the same for some of these alleged Nadal fans.

that would be awesome final, but hopefully if that were to happen, fed would kick dent's butt. lol

edberg505
04-20-2009, 01:08 PM

I sure was, look at my join date and I contend that it wasn't as bad as the boards are today. If someone thinks he's better than Sampras, well that's their prerogative.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 01:09 PM
that would be awesome final, but hopefully if that were to happen, fed would kick dent's butt. lol

Ha ha. I would root for Federer but only because I want him to break the record. In any other case I'd want it to be a 5-set match with Dent winning (I would almost always prefer someone who didn't win a major to win one).

maximo
04-20-2009, 01:11 PM
No, no and no.

edberg505
04-20-2009, 01:11 PM
let me break it down for you. Basically if federer says he did not play well, that is not giving credit to his opponents and he is arrogant. If its nadal, he is only telling the truth.

You have some nerve because you have just put him down in the Toni interview thread 2 minutes ago!

You see that veroniquem, take notes. By the way, I do think that was pretty smug statement in the interview. I do find it pretty funny that, that's the only thing you can come up with. If I do it so often surely you can come up with more than just that alleged one.

edberg505
04-20-2009, 01:13 PM

Unfortunately, I'm sure of it. But I'd love to see it. :) It's just so rarely do we get to see that kind of tennis.

veroniquem
04-20-2009, 01:14 PM
I sure was, look at my join date and I contend that it wasn't as bad as the boards are today. If someone thinks he's better than Sampras, well that's their prerogative.
It was immensely worse, it was without Federer, there would be no tennis, lol. There was 0 tolerance for any dissenting opinion. At least now the board is alive and kicking and people confront their differences of opinion.

fastdunn
04-20-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't think his priority should be regaining #1 spot. Current tour requires you to dominate the whole tour to be #1.

His priority should be to win more slams and break Sampras' record on the total number of slams. IMHO, that is much more attainable and important than regaining #1 spot.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Unfortunately, I'm sure of it. But I'd love to see it. :) It's just so rarely do we get to see that kind of tennis.

I wonder how a good serve and volleyer would fare against Nadal at Wimbeldon. Say Dent brings his A game against Nadal. What chance does he stand?

icedevil0289
04-20-2009, 01:16 PM
It was immensely worse, it was without Federer, there would be no tennis, lol. There was 0 tolerance for any dissenting opinion. At least now the board is alive and kicking and people confront their differences of opinion.

your join date was jan 2008. Wasn't that when fed was declining?

Cesc Fabregas
04-20-2009, 01:17 PM
I wonder how a good serve and volleyer would fare against Nadal at Wimbeldon. Say Dent brings his A game against Nadal. What chance does he stand?

Nadal would win in straight sets.

icedevil0289
04-20-2009, 01:17 PM

I think we had this argument before. According to certain people, dent wouldn't get more than 4 games.

veroniquem
04-20-2009, 01:19 PM
You see that veroniquem, take notes. By the way, I do think that was pretty smug statement in the interview. I do find it pretty funny that, that's the only thing you can come up with. If I do it so often surely you can come up with more than just that alleged one.
Take note of what? That was not smug, that was 2 lines by Rafa assessing his game, it wasn't a post match transcript and that remark of yours was totally unprovoked as well as off topic. That was not an assessment of his game against Murray and Djoko, on the opposite, in the post match presser, he said he played his best tennis against them and gave them plenty of credit as usual, that was a sentence about the general state of his game DURING THE WHOLE TOURNAMENT. It had nothing to do with any particular opponent.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 01:19 PM
I think we had this argument before. According to certain people, dent wouldn't get more than 4 games.

Alright, what about a guy like Henman?

edberg505
04-20-2009, 01:21 PM

LOL, exactly. I hope the match happens to be honest if nothing more than to see him get more than 4 games and send that one guy packing who made the bet against me. But honestly I'm not really sure. If he's hitting his spots on his serves and his fitness is up to par then he could make life very difficult for anyone, much less Nadal.

helloworld
04-20-2009, 01:22 PM
I feel sad for Roger, really. I can understand why he cried at the Australian Open. People have such high expectation of him. Many expect him to break all Sampras's records. People expect him to become the true GOAT... Now, with the way he's been playing, he would be lucky to break the grand slam record alone... Federer has disappointed all his admirers.

icedevil0289
04-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Alright, what about a guy like Henman?

Hmmm, no idea. Nadal has a 2-0 record against henman, but neither of them are on grass. One is on clay and one is on hardcourt.

Cesc Fabregas
LOL, exactly. I hope the match happens to be honest if nothing more than to see him get more than 4 games and send that one guy packing who made the bet against me. But honestly I'm not really sure. If he's hitting his spots on his serves and his fitness is up to par then he could make life very difficult for anyone, much less Nadal.

The bet wouldn't count for Wimbledon because we had a bet at the best of 3 sets at Indian Wells and Miami.

veroniquem
your join date was jan 2008. Wasn't that when fed was declining?
Was it? IMO Fed started declining in 2007 but anyway I read this board for a long time before actually joining and participating. I feel so lucky I found it, I really love the discussions here.

icedevil0289
04-20-2009, 01:24 PM
I feel sad for Roger, really. I can understand why he cried at the Australian Open. People have such high expectation of him. Many expect him to break all Sampras's records. People expect him to become the true GOAT... Now, with the way he's been playing, he would be lucky to break the grand slam record alone... Federer has disappointed all his admirers.

No he hasn't. I love how you think you know how fed fans think or feel.

icedevil0289
04-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Was it? IMO Fed started declining in 2007 but anyway I read this board for a long time before actually joining and participating. I feel so lucky I found it, I really love the discussions here.

oh okay, 2007. However, he won 3 slams and I think he won the tmc, not sure about that, but still. This board is okay, I enjoy mtf better.

edberg505
04-20-2009, 01:25 PM
The bet wouldn't count for Wimbledon because we had a bet at the best of 3 sets at Indian Wells and Miami.

Ahh, that was you huh? LOL. Well, it could still count for the first 2 sets they play, no?

GameSampras
04-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Serve-volley would work great against Nadal at Wimby.. Unfortunately, there are no serve-volleyers. At least any legit ones today

edberg505
04-20-2009, 01:26 PM
oh okay, 2007. However, he won 3 slams and I think he won the tmc, not sure about that, but still. This board is okay, I enjoy mtf better.

LOL, I've seen that board. And people think this board is a Federer love fest? They should have a looksie at that one.

Cesc Fabregas
04-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Ahh, that was you huh? LOL. Well, it could still count for the first 2 sets they play, no?

Any best of 3 set matches.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 01:28 PM
No he hasn't. I love how you think you know how fed fans think or feel.

Hasn't disappointed me either. For all I care Federer can play against a wall and I'd still find it exciting. Wins, losses, unforced errors, winners, I take the whole package. Like I said before, Federer can be ranked 100 for all I care and I would still root for him.

icedevil0289
LOL, I've seen that board. And people think this board is a Federer love fest? They should have a looksie at that one.

lol no. There are a lot of haters over there as well. Its all in good fun. In fact there are haters of every player, but its fun.

Cesc Fabregas
Serve-volley would work great against Nadal at Wimby.. Unfortunately, there are no serve-volleyers. At least any legit ones today

You have to be a great serve and volleyer I don't class Taylor Dent as a great serve and volleyer.

edberg505
Take note of what? That was not smug, that was 2 lines by Rafa assessing his game, it wasn't a post match transcript and that remark of yours was totally unprovoked as well as off topic. That was not an assessment of his game against Murray and Djoko, on the opposite, in the post match presser, he said he played his best tennis against them and gave them plenty of credit as usual, that was a sentence about the general state of his game DURING THE WHOLE TOURNAMENT. It had nothing to do with any particular opponent.

Then I stand corrected. But still waiting for these tons of post where I put down Nadal. Can't be that hard can it?

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 01:30 PM

Karlovic has a huge serve and decent volleys. He nearly beat Nadal when they met a Queens. How would he fare at Wimbly?

fastdunn
04-20-2009, 01:30 PM
He is at a junction.

Federer has reached 18 slam finals in the span of 5 years or so.
Sampras has reached the smae 18 slam finals. Lendl reached 19 slam finals (the open era record). But both Sampras/Lendl spans their slam career over 10-12 years.

If Federer somehow overcome current adversaries and stretch his slam career into more years, he certainly still has chance to become open era GOAT.

It is certianly way too early to write off a guy who reached last 3 slam finals. Come on guys...

edberg505
04-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Karlovic has a huge serve and decent volleys. He nearly beat Nadal when they met a Queens. How would he fare at Wimbly?

He's an odd one to figure out. Maybe if he's on fire with his serving and get's a lucky break yeah. But I don't know what to make of him. I'd like to see him do some damage there, he's a really nice guy.

GameSampras
04-20-2009, 01:32 PM

Karlovic cant even make it out of the first round of wimbeldon these last 4-5 years.. So he wouldnt do anything against Nadal. LOL.

Im sure Edberg, Becker, Pete, Goran, Rafter etc could give Nadal all kinds of trouble though. A great attacker always would. The way to beat Nadal is to play aggressive. Thats what I thought Fed's gameplan would eventually be. I think would have given him more chances of beating Nadal. Unfortunately he has the tendancy to back off and thats all she wrote. You have to keep Pressure on Nadal to beat him

luckyboy1300
04-20-2009, 01:33 PM
i don't think he'll regain number 1 this year but who knows? all i want for him now is win a slam, at least.

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 01:35 PM
He is at a junction.

Federer has reached 18 slam finals in the span of 5 years or so.
Sampras has reached the smae 18 slam finals. Lendl reached 19 slam finals (the open era record). But both Sampras/Lendl spans their slam career over 10-12 years.

If Federer somehow overcome current adversaries and stretch his slam career into more years, he certainly still has chance to become open era GOAT.

It is certianly way too early to write off a guy who reached last 3 slam finals. Come on guys...

I think it'll be the upcoming FO which will decide Fed's future. If Federer reaches the final only to be emberassed again then I think this will be too devestating to recover from. If Federer reaches the semi final and losses to either Djokovic or Murray that would be very devestating too. The only ways Federer can look good after the FO is if:

1) He wins it
2) He losses but puts on a better performence and make it a competitive match, like pre-2008 FOs.

luckyboy1300
04-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Karlovic cant even make it out of the first round of wimbeldon these last 4-5 years.. So he wouldnt do anything against Nadal. LOL.

Im sure Edberg, Becker, Pete, Goran, Rafter etc could give Nadal all kinds of trouble though. A great attacker always would.

their volleys would just sit through for nadal to punish them with his passing shots. the courts are very slow now you have to hit at 150% strength for you to hit a winner.

Cesc Fabregas
04-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Lol at Karlovic the guy loses to bums every year at the first round of Wimbledon.

veroniquem
04-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Sure 2007 was still great (he did win the master cup you're right) for him but there were already a few signs of problems in his game. He got outplayed by Djokovic and Nalby in masters on hard court and had uncharacteristic losses (still in masters) to Canas, Volandri and Gonzalez. It was hardly perceptible for a casual observer I guess but I thought the problems might accentuate in 2008. I don't really like MTF. I find people more articulate here with more interesting analysis on the whole and a better knowledge of the sport in general.

edberg505
04-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Lol at Karlovic the guy loses to bums every year at the first round of Wimbledon.

That's not entirely true. The 1st two years he played Wimbledon he did pretty darn well. He beat Lletyon, the defending champ in 03 and gave Federer all he could handle in the next year making it to the round of 16. It's just that ever since then he hasn't done anything which is odd since he's improved.

veroniquem
04-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Then I stand corrected. But still waiting for these tons of post where I put down Nadal. Can't be that hard can it?
My only beef was with this one. Sorry if it made me overreact. I think you're a nice poster in general.

Cesc Fabregas
04-20-2009, 01:44 PM
That's not entirely true. The 1st two years he played Wimbledon he did pretty darn well. He beat Lletyon, the defending champ in 03 and gave Federer all he could handle in the next year making it to the round of 16. It's just that ever since then he hasn't done anything which is odd since he's improved.

He should be doing better the guy has the best serve in the game and is ok at the net and has a big forehand.

helloworld
04-20-2009, 01:51 PM
He should be doing better the guy has the best serve in the game and is ok at the net and has a big forehand.

Karlovic is basically a cheap clone of Ivanisevic, but Goran had much better movement, volleys, and groundstrokes. If we can get prime Goran in the 90s to play in this era, then I can see him giving Nadal all sorts of trouble.

Rickson
04-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Roger is focusing on the slams record right now which he'll surely get. I don't know if he'll stop at 15 or not, but he could get that from Wimbledon alone.

tudwell
04-20-2009, 01:58 PM
I think it'll be the upcoming FO which will decide Fed's future. If Federer reaches the final only to be emberassed again then I think this will be too devestating to recover from. If Federer reaches the semi final and losses to either Djokovic or Murray that would be very devestating too. The only ways Federer can look good after the FO is if:

1) He wins it
2) He losses but puts on a better performence and make it a competitive match, like pre-2008 FOs.
I don't think there's any single event that'll decide Federer's future. I doubt he'll ever suffer a loss as devastating as Wimbledon 2008. He's only 27 and he's still making Grand Slam finals. Even when he becomes less consistent he'll still be a threat. I would be shocked if Federer does not break the slam record.

Plus, I think it's harder to recover from a loss in a competitive match than from the kind of beating Federer took last year. When you come close to actually winning, it hurts all the more that you lost. When you win 4 games in three sets, you can say, "Oh, well. Maybe I'll do better next time."

P_Agony
04-20-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't think there's any single event that'll decide Federer's future. I doubt he'll ever suffer a loss as devastating as Wimbledon 2008. He's only 27 and he's still making Grand Slam finals. Even when he becomes less consistent he'll still be a threat. I would be shocked if Federer does not break the slam record.

Plus, I think it's harder to recover from a loss in a competitive match than from the kind of beating Federer took last year. When you come close to actually winning, it hurts all the more that you lost. When you win 4 games in three sets, you can say, "Oh, well. Maybe I'll do better next time."

I disagree. I think a close match really hurts but so is winning 4 games in a GS final. It's emerassing and it takes away your confidence. I believe Fed's loss at Wimbly was a direct result of his loss at the FO. If Nadal was on his head before the FO, it got much worse after that final. Imagine if Federer has a similar result this year. It would ruin him. I do think he has the tennis to even win RG. And yes, even against Nadal. Mentally though, he doesn't stand a chance.

muzza123
04-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Lego with 9 votes and counting...

CCNM
04-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I think Fed's days at #1 are over. He might regain it but I doubt he'll hold it very long. When he falls out of the top 10then I'll worry.

batz
04-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Lego with 9 votes and counting...

Yes, it is interesting to note that the lego-eaters are currently outnumbering those who believe Roger can regain number 1.:)

edberg505
04-20-2009, 02:30 PM
My only beef was with this one. Sorry if it made me overreact. I think you're a nice poster in general.

No problem, merci. You're not so bad either. At least you are a true Nadal fan and not one of these jokers who pretend to be one because he's stopping Federer from taking down their boy (Sampras).

ferim
04-20-2009, 03:24 PM
It's not gonna happen...

tomas9848
04-20-2009, 03:38 PM
It would be impossible for fed. :(

TheNatural
04-21-2009, 04:18 AM
I don't really care what # his ranking is but I'd just like to see him play a more exciting brand of tennis. His baseline game is boring. Would be a lot more fun to watch if he could try to come to net a lot more and do other things liek attack returns more, chip charge more etc.

He should take Sampras and Edberg's advice.

Edberg:
" He has to play more serve and volley and get in more variation so that he can come back to where he was."

P_Agony
04-21-2009, 04:46 AM
I don't really care what # his ranking is but I'd just like to see him play a more exciting brand of tennis. His baseline game is boring. Would be a lot more fun to watch if he could try to come to net a lot more and do other things liek attack returns more, chip charge more etc.

Edberg:
" He has to play more serve and volley and get in more variation so that he can come back to where he was."

A fan of Nadal dares calling someone else's baseline game boring. Too funny.

cknobman
04-21-2009, 05:41 AM
Legos are good.

Trolls are bad.

Cesc Fabregas
04-21-2009, 06:40 AM
A fan of Nadal dares calling someone else's baseline game boring. Too funny.

Theres nothing boring about Nadal's game explosive defence, sick passing shots and a great forehand. Federer's game isn't boring either.

mandy01
04-21-2009, 06:54 AM
I love Roger..but no he probably wont and hell I couldnt care less.

fastdunn
04-21-2009, 10:24 AM

Edberg:

But if we think about it, this is quite hard to do. This is sort the holy grail of tennis, so to speak.

Lendle was never able to add net game. Wilander ruined his game when he tried to add net game. In reverse, Edberg did try to add some baseline game toward the end of his career but never fullfiled before the end of his career.

In open era, Sampras was the only guy who did the best implementation of the true all court game. He did lots of S&V when he won US open in 1990. But mcEnroe after semi-final of 1990 commented he was surprised how strong Sampras' baseline game was.

In the next a few years, people realized he was actually a baseliner with unreal serve. Then he started the acting job of the century, he pretended to be a pure S&Ver at Wimbledon for a decade.

And Sampras added more net game gradually on hard court/ clay. And he played Ivanesvic's game on carpets. he did not really played pure S&V game on carpet.

Sampras' S&V worked on everybody except one guy, Agassi. Agasint Agassi, he went for 2 1st serves and moved Agassi arround with his baseline game.

In open era, Sampras was the only guy who successfully adpated true all court game during his whole career. that's why Edberg said Sampras was the most complete player in history.

P_Agony
04-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Theres nothing boring about Nadal's game explosive defence, sick passing shots and a great forehand. Federer's game isn't boring either.

Your opinion. I'm glad you're enjoying his tennis.

Serendipitous
04-21-2009, 11:32 AM
I can't believe people voted yes.

Rickson
04-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah, well we did, unlike you bandwagon hoppers.

All-rounder
04-21-2009, 12:10 PM
I can't believe people voted yes.
Just the same way I couldn't belive you would think murray would beat nadal on clay straight sets

Rickson
04-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Whether he does or not, he's gonna be the all time slams leader and even Nadal confirmed this.

All-rounder
04-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Whether he does or not, he's gonna be the all time slams leader and even Nadal confirmed this.
Has it been confirmed by the atp....no then time will tell

Serendipitous
04-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Just the same way I couldn't belive you would think murray would beat nadal on clay straight sets

Touché. I tend to make really bad predictions. :(

Serendipitous
04-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Yeah, well we did, unlike you bandwagon hoppers.

I'm sorry, Rickson. I guess my comment was a little too impetuous.

I just don't see Federer defending his FO, Wimbledon, and US Open points in addition to winning some additional tournaments in order to reclaim the number one spot.

However, I'm not saying he doesn't have another chance at a slam.

Rickson
04-21-2009, 12:51 PM
No worries, seren. I believe he'll break the slams record, but he seems to have gassed out in terms of wanting the top spot.

Serendipitous
04-21-2009, 12:56 PM
No worries, seren. I believe he'll break the slams record, but he seems to have gassed out in terms of wanting the top spot.

Wimby and the US Open this year are his best chance.

I hope the baby doesn't distract him.