PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic. Wimbledon or France?

egn
04-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Which is more likely for Djokovic Wimbledon or French Open?

I am saying French Open..think his game is better for clay and even with Nadal I think if someone is to beat Nadal on clay in the next 5 years it is Djokovic.

MarrratSafin
04-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Which is more likely for Djokovic Wimbledon or French Open?

I am saying French Open..think his game is better for clay and even with Nadal I think if someone is to beat Nadal on clay in the next 5 years it is Djokovic.

Agree. 10 chars

CocaCola
04-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Djokovic is good on every surface (my signature is talking about it) but I also think he has a better chance at RG this year because the only one who can beat him on clay at RG is Rafa.

Beasty54
04-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Definatly RG. I dont see him beating any of the top guys on grass.

gj011
04-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Where is the option both :)

Due to his early exit last year in Wimbledon, people underestimate Djokovic on grass. He was in Wimbledon SF 2007 and Queens final last year.

I am not saying he will win Wimbledon this year, but he can go deep.

Although I agree that Novak is probably better on clay, FO is unlikely in next couple of years, because Nadal is too dominant on clay. So since "both" is not available I am voting Wimbledon.

charliefedererer
04-20-2009, 08:27 PM
How can only 16% be voting "Neither"?
Is this a Djoke?

himynameisNIKE
04-20-2009, 08:30 PM
imo djokovic is the next davydenko except djokovic has already won a slam.

consistently getting to the quarters or semis of a GS

thalivest
04-20-2009, 09:22 PM
I dont think he will win either. Clay and grass or Nadal's best surfaces and Nadal is almost the same age as him. Djokovic is good on those surfaces, but not as strong as hard courts. Hard courts are Djokovic's best surface and with Federer already past his best there is no completely dominant player on that surface giving him more of an opportunity there than the two Nadal slams.

NotSoSuper
04-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Hes better on clay IMO, but with Nadal around itll be tuff. And hes very vulnerable to those lower ranked opponents in the early rounds at the French. But if he can play like he did in Monte Carlo who knows...

luckyguy
04-20-2009, 09:57 PM
he can win both, he's good in all surfaces.. but just in case he faces rafa in the final of RG or wimbledon, he has a better chance of winning the wimbledon..

Joseph L. Barrow
04-20-2009, 10:17 PM

Davydenko is 27 has not only never won a Slam, but he's never been to a Slam final, and has only won 14 career titles, two of them Masters Series; Djokovic is only 21 and has already won a Grand Slam, been a Grand Slam runner-up, and won 12 total titles, including four Masters Series and Masters Cup. His accomplishments already easily dwarf Davydenko's. He is clearly a level above career-wise.
If Djokovic ultimately never "takes over" and continues to fall to Nadal and Murray, then he'll be more like a Roddick or Hewitt- a young prodigy who comes to the top very quickly and wins a Grand Slam (or two) at a very young age, but never ends up really dominating in the longterm.

Joseph L. Barrow
04-20-2009, 10:23 PM
As for the thread topic, it's difficult to say. His results on clay are more impressive than those on grass so far in his career, but Wimbledon doesn't have an utterly indomitable figurehead who seems tot have an indefinite monopoly on the tournament anymore the way the French does; Federer's on his way out, and Nadal is clearly a great Wimbledon player, but he's definitely touchable. Djokovic could plausibly win either one during his career, but it's going to be extremely tough at least this year and probably the next couple as well.

If Nadal finally does "burn out" like people have been forecasting every season for the last four-and-a-half years, then a French Open championship looks very plausible for Djokovic, as he does seem to be the second-best clay court player of his generation by a substantial margin, while Wimbledon is still a little more iffy in my eyes even in that scenario. For that reason, I'll go with the French.

luckyguy
04-20-2009, 10:39 PM
you can add safin to that...

Davydenko is 27 has not only never won a Slam, but he's never been to a Slam final, and has only won 14 career titles, two of them Masters Series; Djokovic is only 21 and has already won a Grand Slam, been a Grand Slam runner-up, and won 12 total titles, including four Masters Series and Masters Cup. His accomplishments already easily dwarf Davydenko's. He is clearly a level above career-wise.
If Djokovic ultimately never "takes over" and continues to fall to Nadal and Murray, then he'll be more like a Roddick or Hewitt- a young prodigy who comes to the top very quickly and wins a Grand Slam (or two) at a very young age, but never ends up really dominating in the longterm.

jamesblakefan#1
04-20-2009, 10:40 PM

Rafa's the next Blake except he's already won 6 slams lol.

Seriously tho, I think Djokovic has the skills to win at Wimbledon. Its a more predictable field, as far as there not being as many top contenders. And yea, he lost there early last yr, but dont forget the great match he had against Nadal in the finals of Queens last yr.

cknobman
04-21-2009, 06:45 AM
Regardless of whether or not he can beat Nadal I think Djoker looks pretty good on clay.

maximo
04-21-2009, 06:48 AM
Murray has more chance of winning Wimby, so i vote for the FO.

Underhand
04-21-2009, 08:34 AM
He will have the Career Retirement Slam for sure.

boredone3456
04-21-2009, 10:13 AM
If we are just talking this year I think he has a better shot at the US Open than either the French or Wimbledon. I don't see Nadal losing at the French this year and part of me says Fed will reclaim Wimbledon. However in the future I would say Novak's game is more suited to winning the French than Wimbledon.

Ian Stewart
04-21-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm afraid I can't see him winning either. He can't last 3 sets with Nadal, so forget 5 sets. (That goes for everyone else too). His game is quite suited to grass, but Nadal is better than him on that surface as well. And if Fed puts on his GS hat he can beat Djokovic on grass. He can beat anyone on grass.

Except, that is, for Nadal.

Nadal_Freak
04-21-2009, 10:45 AM
He can't beat Nadal at the French Open. I choose Wimbledon though I think Clay suits his game more.

FlamEnemY
04-21-2009, 12:34 PM
I think it's quite remarkable that even though Djokovic is a great all-surface player, he probably won't sniff FO or Wimbledon for the next two years. Speaks volumes of Federer's and Nadal's evel.
IF Nadal gets injured (of course I don't want this to happen, I'd rather watch how Djokovic improves and even *gasp* surpasses Nadal) my bet would be on Djokovic to win FO. Wimbledon, maybe. It's within his potential.

mordecai
04-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Right now I'd say the FO is more likely, but his chances at Wimbledon would be very good if he could serve the way he did to get his AO title. His service has really let him down over the last year and if he regained his form Wimbledon would be very possible.

In D Zone
04-21-2009, 01:39 PM
I will only put my chip on Djokovic if he is physically fit to stay in a long match under a hot sunny weather.

Djokovic is known to wilt !

Leublu tennis
04-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Where is the option both :)

Due to his early exit last year in Wimbledon, people underestimate Djokovic on grass. He was in Wimbledon SF 2007 and Queens final last year.

I am not saying he will win Wimbledon this year, but he can go deep.

Although I agree that Novak is probably better on clay, FO is unlikely in next couple of years, because Nadal is too dominant on clay. So since "both" is not available I am voting Wimbledon.Isn't it amazing how the attitude toward Djokovic has changed? Not that I take a lot of credit, but I must have posted the squib about his breathing problems several dozen times. I don't think we hear as much of the stupid "quitter" comments these days. And thats nice.

But I still say that Djokovic needs to bring his game way up or he will never make #1.

LT

Leublu tennis
04-21-2009, 01:51 PM
How can only 16% be voting "Neither"?
Is this a Djoke?
I don't think the voting is over yet. More *******s and Nadalfreques will chime in soon.

gj011
04-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Isn't it amazing how the attitude toward Djokovic has changed? Not that I take a lot of credit, but I must have posted the squib about his breathing problems several dozen times. I don't think we hear as much of the stupid "quitter" comments these days. And thats nice.

But I still say that Djokovic needs to bring his game way up or he will never make #1.

LT

Yes you are correct, general attitude towards Djokovic has changed in the last couple of months here. Not sure exactly why, maybe it is your and other people explanations, maybe he is not challenging the very top spot in the minds of most at the moment, maybe he himself has changed a bit, ...

However I am not sure if much is needed to bring back predominant negative attitude like after AO 2008, MC 2008, USO 2008 or AO 2009.

Andyk028
04-21-2009, 02:13 PM

That my friend..is a very very very very very very very very very good speculation

JediMindTrick
04-21-2009, 02:30 PM
However I am not sure if much is needed to bring back predominant negative attitude like after AO 2008, MC 2008, USO 2008 or AO 2009.

Beating Federer in a slam again would surely do the trick!