PDA

View Full Version : Indoors vs outdoors

bagger123
03-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Here in CT, i played the winter season indoors
and now that the tennis team is starting in a week, ive been getting acclimated to outdoor courts. I seem to be having a lot of problems. Can someone please tell me the differeance between indoors and outdoors and how to better make the transition.

thanks

Baseline Basher
03-11-2005, 11:16 PM
You're used to indoors and need to get used to outside?

Easy.

Play outside more.

tennis ace
03-13-2005, 04:18 PM
you should definately be playing outdoors.

NoBadMojo
03-13-2005, 04:27 PM
you're in the same boat as everyone else..most people take a while to adjust to the sun and wind of playing outdoors vs the more perfect indoor conditions...best to play safer shots and a little more spin for control for a while especially on windy days, pull out that hat for serving and playing into the sun, and consider the conditions when playing matches outdoors like whether to serve or receive first and from which side, etc.

USCfan
03-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Soin and pace may vary. I agree with NBMJ. Take it easy and play safe at first. After all, there are more variables outdoors.

Kirko
03-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Playing indoors is alot like playing @ night my fav. time under lights; no distractions . Once outside in the daylight you notice all that is going around you or @ least I do.

bagger123
03-14-2005, 03:50 PM
After playing indoors for a while, when i tried playing outdoors, i couldnt generate nearly as much pace as i could when playing indoors. Is this supposed to happen?

tennis ace
03-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Be a man(sorry if you are agirl) and play outdoors.

Datacipher
03-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Relax, some people, especially high level juniors who regularly play on both, can adjust in minutes, but most people, after a season of one or the other, take anywhere from 1/2 hour to a week to adjust well. In 1 week or 2 at the most, you'll feel better. Best thing to do, as simple as it seems, watch the ball and relax- don't have expectations. You shots will seem a bit different outdoors, the look and sound are different, so just relax and find your outdoor game.

Yes, it's normal to feel your shots don't have as much pace outdoors. I think this is because:

1.Often indoor courts play faster, with a smoother surface
2.The sound is magnified so much indoors
3.When you're not quite as confident, your swing slows a bit.
4.The ball is usually easier to see outdoors(by this I mean there is more light outside, I admit that having a less constant background can make it harder to track the ball until you adjust) generally the ball is more blurry indoors, making it seem faster.
5.Often at the beginning of outdoor season, it's a bit cold. Balls are heavier, air is colder, so the ball is slower.

Usually as you get into the swing of things, your shots pick back up, and you'll probably find you can be nearly as effective as indoors, the ace you got indoors, will still be an ace outdoors...but it may not sound or look quite as big.

USCfan
03-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Great job, Datacipher. It definitely feels like you hit harder indoors, due to magnified sound.