PDA

View Full Version : Can Monfils Pull off a slam or a Shield this year

deltox
04-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Well hes got talent, hes got athletisism, and hes got the skillset. question is can he step up and pull one off this season.

and which one?

personally i see him in the RG semi and winning either Canada and/or Cincinnati

Serendipitous
04-20-2009, 08:15 PM
I doubt he can do it. I love his strokes, but he doesn't use his head enough. I hate how he's content just to stay at the baseline and push.

Maybe in the years to come if he stays focused......

deltox
04-20-2009, 08:18 PM
I doubt he can do it. I love his strokes, but he doesn't use his head enough. I hate how he's content just to stay at the baseline and push.

Maybe in the years to come if he stays focused......

does he have a coach yet?

and he is streaky, one good streak could pay off for him.. who knows

im just opinion hunting atm

oscar_2424
04-20-2009, 08:19 PM
not gonna happen

jamesblakefan#1
04-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Maybe a shield in Paris, like Tsonga did last yr.

The-Champ
04-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Nope! Never!

I don't understand why someone who looks so physically strong can be so fragile.

deltox
04-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Nope! Never!

I don't understand why someone who looks so physically strong can be so fragile.

it saddens me as well. he has the appearance of a beast and the meow of a kitten. but i still have faith in my underdog, err one of my underdogs ;)

The-Champ
04-20-2009, 08:57 PM
it saddens me as well. he has the appearance of a beast and the meow of a kitten. but i still have faith in my underdog, err one of my underdogs ;)

He looks intimidating. What a waste perfectly good forehand.

thalivest
04-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Slam this year: no chance in hell
Masters Shield: possible but would take a bit of luck

Nadal_Freak
04-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Not going to happen. He really disappointed me in Monte-Carlo.

thalivest
04-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Not going to happen. He really disappointed me in Monte-Carlo.

Yeah if there is any surface right now he can compete with if not Nadal, atleast Djokovic and Murray, it would be clay. Yet a very poor showing to start the campaign on what is clearly his best surface at this point in his career.

NotSoSuper
04-20-2009, 09:39 PM
This year? No i dont think so. He hasnt shown he can beat the best on the biggest occasions.

His best chance would be a Shield.. However i do predict for him to win a slam in the next 2-3 years

Nadal_Freak
04-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Yeah if there is any surface right now he can compete with if not Nadal, atleast Djokovic and Murray, it would be clay. Yet a very poor showing to start the campaign on what is clearly his best surface at this point in his career.
I'm not sure clay is his best surface. I think it is medium hardcourts now. He relies a lot on his serve. Maybe a faster clay like Rome.

deltox
04-20-2009, 09:40 PM

maybe he can do something this week

he has had a semi unlucky draw all year with isner, tipsarevic, roddick, almagra (on clay in F), nadal simon and roddick putting him out of tourneys on their respective surfaces.

thalivest
04-20-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm not sure clay is his best surface. I think it is medium hardcourts now. He relies a lot on his serve. Maybe a faster clay like Rome.

His serve is a big asset, but the serve is his only other asset other than his speed and defensive game. Apart from the serve he doesnt have any agressiveness which helps him on a faster surface. He could if he just changed his approach to playing.

PERL
04-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Monfils is injured at the moment and he might even miss Rome and RG (knee tendinitis, hes off for 3 to 6 weeks). I thought he was in a slump for a few weeks after being pretty consistent since RG 08. Last time I checked the match against Safin in Miami was awful. The final tiebreaker especially was the weakest I have ever witnessed. He looked confused out there, inhibated, with no plan nor fire, only pushing the ball and waiting for Safin to make the errors. Against Roddick he served for the first set and just fade away. I thought something was going on off the court, his overall attitude was a bit odd.
He has an interesting potential to develop, he can be better than I thought at first. Hes atypical, has weapons, hes a great athlete and mover. He had slightly improved his volleys and passing shots, though its still not very good. He is in the top 10 and still could be much better. So I guess it depends on him.

dwhiteside
04-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Negative unfortunately

Steve F.
04-21-2009, 06:21 AM
Monfils is injured at the moment and he might even miss Rome and RG (knee tendinitis, hes off for 3 to 6 weeks).

Word today in Lequipe.fr is that he is suffering from a flare up related to a childhood bout with Osgood-Schlatter's disease (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/medical/IM02935), which affects the tendon below the kneecap. Yeah, I had to look it up, so follow the link above. Monfils himself said it's worse than tendonitis, and that what's going on in his knee is almost too complicated to explain. There are some grumblings about a possible surgery but mostly a wait and see approach. Apparently it's the same as what he suffered from at the end of 2007. Tough luck. For those who think he's not strong on clay, to each his own. He went to the finals in Acapulco this year already and the semis at RG last year. Never mind the sliding he does on hard courts...:wink:

cknobman
04-21-2009, 06:28 AM
Nope hes just not there mentally.

Plus he goes into passive (defense) mode to often to hang around against the big hitters.

maximo
04-21-2009, 06:30 AM
Now i see why he switched to the CB's.

deltox
04-21-2009, 07:10 AM
Now i see why he switched to the CB's.

forgive my ignorance... CBs??

fantom
04-21-2009, 07:48 AM
He has loads of talent, but Safin seems to have more mental fortitude than Monfils, sadly.

tahiti
04-21-2009, 09:44 AM
I would have said he had a chance at RG to do well but have just read that he won't be participating. Don't think he's going to make grass or a hardcourt slam final.

Steve F.
04-21-2009, 10:48 AM
does he have a coach yet?

Roger Rasheed. Hewitt's old coach

Cloudy
04-21-2009, 11:07 AM
nope I can see him plumetting in the rankings when his RG points come off. He isn't going to be playing before the FO and is injured so it's not looking good. Plus he is flaky as hell.

Stchamps
04-21-2009, 11:09 AM
maybe when he cuts off that disgusting hair

fps
04-21-2009, 11:17 AM
He has loads of talent, but Safin seems to have more mental fortitude than Monfils, sadly.

did you watch their miami match? ;)

if he can beat this knee injury, which sounds like it could be a permanent hassle throughout his career, he's otherwise such a powerful athlete that I think his best tennis will be around 24-27 years of age, and he'll be a threat on clay and hards.

if he can't beat it, he'll make the odd deep run but i think lack of court-time hinders him more than some of the more conventional players.

fantom
04-21-2009, 11:21 AM
maybe when he cuts off that disgusting hair

He already cut it off. He wasn't around long enough in Monte Carlo for anybody to see it.

It was really short.

M J
04-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Would everyone please stop with the "Monfils is too passive" thing? In 2006, yes, he was too defensive. Now his problem is that he's too aggressive, or at least aggressive at the wrong times. The Tipsarevic match at Monte Carlo, which I agree was very disappointing, was a great example of this. If Monfils would have just pushed, Tipsarevic would have handed it to him. Instead, Gael insisted on hitting everything as hard as he could and piled up an unacceptably large number of errors.

I think Monfils would do well to use some of Murray's strategy of pushing, then occasionally launching an unexpected missile to force an error. For those of you who suggest that his speed is his only weapon, I would like to remind you that he can hit a forehand 120 mph: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx2NReqIqQ4

I love that video, and that kind of thing is what makes Monfils my favorite player; unfortunately, it's not the kind of shot that wins matches. Was it really necessary to hit the ball down the line harder than almost all of us can hit our serve, and hit it an inch over the net and an inch inside the baseline to win the point? Absolutely not. A "safe" 100 MPH forehand down the middle would have had a good chance of forcing an error and winning the point.

I feel like the goal of a professional tennis player should be forced errors. Murray and Nadal are dominating tennis right now, and they are the two players who do this better than anyone. If you hit a clean winner, you often went for an unnecessarily risky shot.

Another issue for Monfils is the serve. Yes, he can hit it huge, but his 1st serve % for the year is 60%. That's not terrible, but Monfils doesn't have an overwhelming 2nd serve (at least when he's not going for an ace). I would suggest that he be conservative with his first serve and hit it to set up the point rather than going for the ace all the time.

Having said all that, it really bugs me that whenever a Monfils match is on, the commentators can't go 2 minutes without saying something demeaning about Monfils' work ethic or strategy. I know he can be frustrating to watch, but we should be aware of how hard it must be to "play smart" when you have the talent that he has. If you could hit a 120 MPH forehand, and the ball is teed up for you, how many of us wouldn't go for it? His body was built to do things you don't need to do to win tennis matches, and he can hit some crazy highlight-reel shots that other players aren't capable of. That makes the problem of "maximizing his talent" a complicated one for him.

rogerowns
04-21-2009, 01:10 PM
his game is inconsistent and he won't be able to win a shield or GS this year

Stchamps
04-21-2009, 01:14 PM
He already cut it off. He wasn't around long enough in Monte Carlo for anybody to see it.

It was really short.

oo nice .

cucio
04-22-2009, 01:54 AM
Everything is possible, but so far Monfils hasn't showed the kind of consistency that winning a big tournament takes.

If he can somehow recapture the magic of his match against Nadal in Doha and keep it up for a week, sure, he won slams as a junior, perhaps he could win a masters 1000. But he couldn't keep up that level for his next match against Roddick.

fantom
04-22-2009, 04:09 AM
did you watch their miami match? ;)

if he can beat this knee injury, which sounds like it could be a permanent hassle throughout his career, he's otherwise such a powerful athlete that I think his best tennis will be around 24-27 years of age, and he'll be a threat on clay and hards.

if he can't beat it, he'll make the odd deep run but i think lack of court-time hinders him more than some of the more conventional players.

Nope. I didn't get to see it.

I just heard about his knee yesterday. Hopefully it's something he can overcome. He's entertaining to watch.