PDA

View Full Version : The Tennis Booty Call

Cindysphinx
04-21-2009, 05:50 AM
Got an e-mail from a captain today. She is a good captain with a good reputation, someone I wouldn't mind knowing better.

She has a day league team. Her message said she was short two players for their first match of the season (which was a rain make-up) and invited me to join.

I looked at the roster. Hmmm, a few women I know, but no two-player problem. I looked at the schedule. Ick. Ten matches in the season, beginning at 9 am. I could see why she would be short on players because the start time is horrible for people with kids in elementary school, but my kids are older.

I decided to have breakfast and think it over.

I hadn't pursued day league this season because I wanted to use my days for lessons and singles practice. I'm already playing two weekdays and on Saturdays, plus my league matches on nights and weekends for three different teams. I'd have no guarantee that I'd play more than just the one match, which would make it a very expensive one match. Nor would I have any way of knowing whether I'd be used as a warm body whose main purpose was to avoid defaults. There was one player who was very weak; would she be my partner?

The real problem, though, was the Booty Call Issue. A friend had told me she was going to give the captain my name many weeks ago, but I didn't hear anything after that and didn't pursue it. I just couldn't shake the feeling that I was being asked as a last resort, as someone who was Better Than Nothing. I had never been invited to be on any of this captain's other teams, presumably because I wasn't good enough. But now I was supposed to drop everything and ride to the rescue. Had she asked me when teams were being formed, I guess I would feel differently. Then again, maybe the mature thing to do would be to show up, play well, and impress this captain, thereby paving the way to future social and league invitations.

I wrote back and politely declined. I feel a little guilty, though, because I could have chosen to help a fellow captain but didn't. I just didn't think I'd respect myself in the morning if I Answered The Call.

Cindy -- who has that feeling you get when you pass a harmless-looking hitchhiker in a driving rain storm

larry10s
04-21-2009, 06:26 AM
cindysphinx from your posts you are on your way to 4.0 plus tennis. use you time to take lessons and practice or cross train. in the long run you will be a better player for it. people will notice your improvement and you will be the first one they will call.imho

spiderman123
04-21-2009, 06:49 AM
use you time to take lessons and practice or cross train.

You seriously think that Cindy needs THAT advice? A better advice would be to try to spend time doing some other things at times. :) We have heard stories that they were looking for her once and finally found her practicing volleys in her garage. It was 3 am.

larry10s
04-21-2009, 07:11 AM
i dont know cindy or her habits. just answered the question as best i could

PimpMyGame
04-21-2009, 07:13 AM
When I read this my initial reaction was to say "maybe Cindy should have said yes because she obviously just loves to play tennis". Then I remembered the only time I declined to play a match. The B team captain called me the day before the match, even though he knew I was available for at least a week. I felt the same as you and respectfully declined the invitation.

Just goes to show that sometimes you need to have experience of a problem before jumping to conclusions! Great to see you back on the board, Cindy.

Cindysphinx
04-21-2009, 07:19 AM
You seriously think that Cindy needs THAT advice? A better advice would be to try to spend time doing some other things at times. :) We have heard stories that they were looking for her once and finally found her practicing volleys in her garage. It was 3 am.

'Tis False Lie!!

I was watching a replay of the Nadal/Federer Wimbledon '08 final. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

spiderman123
04-21-2009, 07:26 AM
i dont know cindy or her habits. just answered the question as best i could

oops.. nothing about you. was about Cindy who plays on 10+ teams and practises and takes lessons every week. Yes, I do envy her :). I wish I could play that much. And best wishes for her to continue like this in case someone is afraid of jinxes etc.
[ I am like Federer only in this aspect, I am not superstitious :) ]

larry10s
04-21-2009, 08:04 AM
i am starting to get the idea that cindy is VERY dedicated to tennis.

jrod
04-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Cindy- I think you made the right call. I can sympathize as I have have taken a similar path over the past 2 years and do not regret it. I pulled myself totally from all league play to concentrate on improving the basics over 2 years ago. I continued to play matches, both singles and dubs, but according to my schedule. My game has improved at least a half-point NTRP-wise.

My experience is that if you improve your game, then the captain(s) will generally call you before they call on other weaker, less versitile players for one simple reason: they like to win.

Focus + Hard Work = Reward.

Kostas
04-21-2009, 08:58 AM
I think it's fine if you have better things to do with your time (tennis wise - practice, etc). However, if you don't want to do it because you feel slighted then I would disagree.
If you feel that you've been slighted then you must feel that you should not have been a "better than nothing" choice for her team. If that's the case is not playing with them going to change anyone's perceptions? I would go play and show them they should have considered you earlier.
If their skill level is such that your actually are a "better than nothing" choice for them then what do you have to lose by playing with better players that have little expectations of you?

sureshs
04-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Tennis 101: Develop a thick skin

zapvor
04-21-2009, 09:26 AM
cindy comes up with the best thread titles.

sureshs
04-21-2009, 09:29 AM
cindy comes up with the best thread titles.

One of her recent ones was so long it just showed up as "The" in the view

zapvor
04-21-2009, 09:39 AM
hahha really? what thread was it. i missed it

larry10s
04-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Cindy- I think you made the right call. I can sympathize as I have have taken a similar path over the past 2 years and do not regret it. I pulled myself totally from all league play to concentrate on improving the basics over 2 years ago. I continued to play matches, both singles and dubs, but according to my schedule. My game has improved at least a half-point NTRP-wise.

My experience is that if you improve your game, then the captain(s) will generally call you before they call on other weaker, less versitile players for one simple reason: they like to win.

Focus + Hard Work = Reward. it like a coach once told me. if you know HOW to play doubles instead of i play doubles your phone will ring

boilerfan
04-21-2009, 10:28 AM
I think it depends on if you want the opportunity to play with these people in the future. Does this team have players that are better than you that you could practice with? Does this captain have other teams you might want to join in the future? Maybe even other players on the team who captain other teams like combo, singles league, or mixed.

Also, if they are struggling to find players for their first match, they will probably struggle in the future, so you might actually get a lot of playing time. Ou alternates typically end up getting as much playing time as they want because we have so many travelers on the team.

Not everybody wants to be considered an "alternate" for a team, just saying that some people really can get set up nicely by agreeing to be that player for a season. Obviously if there is no reason to be an alternate for this team, then you should probably save your time for other things.

Also, just to throw it out there since you are a captain also. You know how hard it can be to fill out a roster and to manage that roster to be able to field 8 for each match, but also give enough playing time to everybody. We had an instance this year where I had to not invite some guys when initially forming the team because we had at least 15 invites out and I didn't want to overcommit the team. Once the dust settled, we ended up needing a few players and then sent out another round of invites until we filled the roster.

I'm not saying you should have played on the team, just saying not to take it personally that you weren't invited earlier and it might be an instance where it could be a good opportunity to network with some players that you don't normally play with.