PDA

View Full Version : New Team of Left-Overs with One Great Player

heninfan99
04-21-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm captaining a team made up of mostly left-overs that couldn't get on other teams but we lucked out and got one stand-out player. Most of the other teams probably have two guys at his level but what should I do with him?

Anyone that plays doubles with him has improved chances of getting a win. I won't horde him for myself though it's tempting. :) At the same time I don't want to waste his skills too many times with our weakest players. He's not desperate to play singles.
Any thoughts?

innoVAShaun
04-21-2009, 10:41 AM
I was on a team like that once before. We had one very strong standout player. My captain made the mistake of putting him at #1 singles everytime. He ended up with a great singles record and eventually got bumped up to the next level.

I advised my captain that we should have had him playing #1 doubles. He would have a very good chance with any partner. And it would push the rest of us decent players down a court at #2 and #3 doubles (where we'd have a way better chance of scoring the win).

But again he played singles the whole time and we ended up losing a lot of matches 2-3 taking both singles 90% of the time.

Geezer Guy
04-21-2009, 11:00 AM
He's your franchise player. You've got to keep him happy, and try to build a team around him. This year, ask him where he wants to play and who he wants to play with, and accomodate his desires. Your goal is to keep him on the team next year, and draft a few more good players to fill out your team. Whereever he plays this year, he's not going to help your chances of winning that much anyway.

Casey10s
04-21-2009, 11:09 AM
In doubles, match him with your best doubles player. You don't want to put him with a weak player. The other team will avoid hitting to him and they will still lose pretty badly. He may get frustrated and decide to go somewhere else next year.

spiderman123
04-21-2009, 11:17 AM
I was on a team like that once before. We had one very strong standout player. My captain made the mistake of putting him at #1 singles everytime. He ended up with a great singles record and eventually got bumped up to the next level.

I advised my captain that we should have had him playing #1 doubles. He would have a very good chance with any partner. And it would push the rest of us decent players down a court at #2 and #3 doubles (where we'd have a way better chance of scoring the win).

But again he played singles the whole time and we ended up losing a lot of matches 2-3 taking both singles 90% of the time.

Have you seen that guy playing doubles? I had a very good #1 singles record last year but I know if I had played #1 doubles, we would have lost that AND #1 singles.

heninfan99
04-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Yeah, he volleys really well.
Have you seen that guy playing singles? I had a very good #1 singles record last year but I know if I had played #1 doubles, we would have lost that AND #1 singles.

Cindysphinx
04-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Yes, definitely ask him who he wants to partner with. If he doesn't know anyone, then ask him what he likes in a partner *and* what he thinks his own strengths and weaknesses are. Do what he asks; keep him happy.

That said, I as captain rarely partner with my franchise players. First, I figured I would improve more quickly if I didn't allow myself to be carried. Second, I thought it would be awkward for her to decline to play with me if she would rather play with someone else and her only escape would be to leave. Third, I figured I'd score major goodwill points with my players if I plainly wasn't hogging the best partners.

I'm glad I handled it that way.

LuckyR
04-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Agree with Geezer, keep the guy happy.

heninfan99
04-21-2009, 11:37 AM
That makes sense. I'll probably only play with him once or twice. I'll put him with good players on whatever court he wants, I guess. I get the feeling he doesn't want the burden of being on court #1 every time. I'll have to ask him directly.
Yes, definitely ask him who he wants to partner with. If he doesn't know anyone, then ask him what he likes in a partner *and* what he thinks his own strengths and weaknesses are. Do what he asks; keep him happy.

That said, I as captain rarely partner with my franchise players. First, I figured I would improve more quickly if I didn't allow myself to be carried. Second, I thought it would be awkward for her to decline to play with me if she would rather play with someone else and her only escape would be to leave. Third, I figured I'd score major goodwill points with my players if I plainly wasn't hogging the best partners.

I'm glad I handled it that way.

heninfan99
04-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Good idea!
He's your franchise player. You've got to keep him happy, and try to build a team around him. This year, ask him where he wants to play and who he wants to play with, and accomodate his desires. Your goal is to keep him on the team next year, and draft a few more good players to fill out your team. Whereever he plays this year, he's not going to help your chances of winning that much anyway.

Spokewench
04-21-2009, 12:21 PM
If he's that good; I would ask him what he would rather play singles or doubles; If he wants to play both, play him one match at singles, one match at doubles. Play him at Court 1, he's your best player. Don't stack the deck. He will probably be moved up next year anyway; so enjoy him while you have him. I would pair your next few best doubles players with him and see who he likes to play with.

I had a woman on my team last year like this; I enjoyed her on the team, she did not like singles, so she played number 1 doubles with a few of the better ones on my team. She enjoyed it, they enjoyed it and she moved up this year.

spoke