PDA

View Full Version : Safin should play some 250's or challengers

DavaiMarat
04-21-2009, 01:16 PM
..to learn how to win again. It worked for Andre Agassi.

Thoughts?

fantom
04-21-2009, 01:27 PM
He's probably just muddling through the year to get some extra cash and say goodbye to the fans. Plus, it's not like he's out of the top 100. He's ranked 20 in the world right now...

Leublu tennis
04-21-2009, 01:54 PM
I think he needs the bigger challenge of the regular matches. So he wins a Challenger, so what? But each match is a fight to get to the top, or at least top 10. Yes, you heard it here first. Top 10 before 2010.

pound cat
04-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Safin is #20. why on earth would he go and player challengers???

ShcMad
04-21-2009, 03:01 PM
I think he needs the bigger challenge of the regular matches. So he wins a Challenger, so what? But each match is a fight to get to the top, or at least top 10. Yes, you heard it here first. Top 10 before 2010.

Oh God I hope you're right about him reaching top 10 before retiring. But, I doubt he can do it.

egn
04-21-2009, 05:19 PM
want to see Safin top 20 again all year so he considers staying around.

RCizzle65
04-22-2009, 12:16 AM
He'd have to somehow keep his Wimbledon points, so either win a lot of points beforehand, or somehow find that form, the former would be the more likely one.....it's sad seeing someone with that much talent go down like this....

Ryoma Kun
04-22-2009, 12:54 AM
Safin can do it... or he is going to go down in epic failure. Either way his last match he will make it so everyone remembers it.

thalivest
04-22-2009, 01:10 AM
Alot of you seem to forget he is 29 years old. He is supposed to be going down at this point. Maybe not as hard as he did, but this is the age people really slow down. Even Federer began slowing down at only 26.

SoCal10s
04-22-2009, 01:10 AM
he ain't gonna do anything,he's having too much fun chasing skirts...

Leublu tennis
04-22-2009, 02:12 AM
Oh God I hope you're right about him reaching top 10 before retiring. But, I doubt he can do it. I believe! I believe! I believe!:):)

Leublu tennis
04-22-2009, 02:14 AM
he ain't gonna do anything,he's having too much fun chasing skirts...Chasing skirts?? Chasing skirts?? I think you got that backward! Just go to a tournament and see what happens when he walks out to warm up.

tonyg11
04-22-2009, 10:28 AM
..to learn how to win again. It worked for Andre Agassi.

Thoughts?

Andre player challengers because he was out of the game for a year. Safin just needs his head examined

Leublu tennis
04-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Andre player challengers because he was out of the game for a year. Safin just needs his head examinedWhy to find fleas, like in some poster's heads? Grow up, kid.

tonyg11
04-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Why to find fleas, like in some poster's heads? Grow up, kid.

It's a figure of speech. Do you know what that means?

Leublu tennis
04-22-2009, 11:31 AM
It's a figure of speech. Do you know what that means?Having one's head examined is a figure of speech? Where did you learn to speak?

deltox
04-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Having one's head examined is a figure of speech? Where did you learn to speak?

in america needing to have your head examined means your struggling with something mentally or talking stupid

stupid slang but its true.

tkramer15
04-22-2009, 01:24 PM
I've all but given up on Safin pulling himself together. Yes, I know he was awful last year until Wimbledon where he miraculously found his form and more importantly his confidence, but then he turned around and did little to nothing again the rest of the year. Safin has thrown away so many close, winnable matches in the past few years, and he has taken that trend to a disturbing level in recent weeks. It's very sad to see. Regardless of his age and the effect of his 2005 knee injury, Safin has wasted so many golden opportunities. I have a hard time seeing how he can continue showing up week after week.

Playing challengers isn't an option at this point. It's obvious that Safin cares about winning, but he's clearly not caught up in his results to the point that he'd go back to the minor leagues to try to regain his confidence. Knowing him, it probably wouldn't have any effect anyway. The level of the tournament he's in doesn't really seem to change Safin's mindset much. After throwing away a huge third set lead against Lapentti in Monte Carlo last week, Safin showed up in Barcelona, where he had been granted a late wild card by tournament director Albert Costa. Safin promptly thanked Costa and the fans with a 6-4, 6-1 loss to Monaco in an 1:05. Most of his worst early round losses over the past few years have come in the smaller tournaments where he would've had a legitimate chance of winning.

I wish he could have a couple of good weeks in some bigger tournaments and maybe get one more title, but it seems almost impossible that that will happen. It's hard to think he would want to go out like this.

FD3S
04-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Chasing skirts?? Chasing skirts?? I think you got that backward! Just go to a tournament and see what happens when he walks out to warm up.

There are a myriad of stories about Safin partying hard before/during/after tournaments. One particularly amusing anecdote I recall reading involved a fan seeing Safin at 2 AM outside of a club, with two blondes on his arm on the day he was supposed to play.

nadal for number1
04-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Safin is #20. why on earth would he go and player challengers???

true.. i just dont see him doing it. ever.

VillaVilla
04-23-2009, 03:11 AM
Having one's head examined is a figure of speech? Where did you learn to speak?Not Moldova.

Try any English speaking country. Maybe you should get your head checked! (for fleas)