PDA

View Full Version : Monfils could miss the French Open!!

Gugafan
04-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Frenchman Gael Monfils is in danger of missing his home Grand Slam in Roland Garros due to a persistent knee injury.

The 22-year-old suffers from Osgood-Schlatter disease which causes chronic pain in his knees and leads to the kneecap inflating. Monfils has been forced to miss tournaments in the past due to the problem and wore large bandages on both knees at the Monte Carlo Masters.

He will now miss the clay court Masters events in Rome and Madrid, although Monfils has yet to rule himself out of the French Open.

"Frankly, it's really hard to explain. It's something pretty serious and there is a possibility that I will not play at Roland Garros," Monfils told French sports daily L'Equipe.

"From time to time, there is an inflammation of the kneecap and it's the case now. But I want to keep hope alive. For the moment I'm rested, the only thing I can do is to wait."

Monfils will be desperate to play at Roland Garros as he reached the semi-finals of the tournament last year and has a lot of ranking points to defend.

www.inthenews.co.uk

This is not good news for French tennis and Monfils fans. It was really exciting watching Monfils work the crowd at last years FO. I think its the one slam where Monfils would really fight blood and guts for a good showing...I'm hoping he can make it.

Serendipitous
04-21-2009, 03:50 PM
That would be absolutely disastrous.

....wait, wait, wait....hold on.....can't they make an exception for an injured player to let him keep his points?

GameSampras
04-21-2009, 03:54 PM
no biggie.. Its not like he was going to win anyways:twisted:

The-Champ
04-21-2009, 04:06 PM
That guy is always injured. One would think he is making finals every week.

norbac
04-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Horrible news, I'm a big fan and expected him to do well in over the clay season. Hopefully he will recover quickly.

GameSampras
04-21-2009, 04:41 PM
This could definitely hurt Monfils in the rankings because he could make some noise at the RG this year.

jamesblakefan#1
04-21-2009, 04:44 PM
It's a shame, a guy so talented can't stay healthy. And yea, it would hurt his ranking, losing SF pts and gaining nothing.

rubberduckies
04-21-2009, 05:37 PM
That sucks. Monfils is a really fun player to watch although it must drive you crazy if you were his fan.

mjcn121789
04-21-2009, 07:10 PM
aww man that sucks...he was my one player that could upset Nadal in the French Open. If you think about it, Monfils has all the skills...great defense, decent volleys, good serve, great groundstrokes (if utilized)...if Monfils played Nadal like he did in Doha earlier this year, he has a good chance of winning...hopefully he will recover quickly

deltox
04-21-2009, 07:21 PM
one of my top 5, sigh, o well, hope this doesnt mess with his head as much as it does his body

all the best to him regardless

orangeblood
04-21-2009, 07:38 PM
It makes sense that something like this would happen. All that needless sliding for those squash shots (especially on hard courts of all surfaces) and hitting from 10 feet behind the court. Granted he does less of that now, but the many years of doing this has finally caught up to him.

Blinkism
04-21-2009, 10:58 PM
If he doesn't play Madrid, Rome, the FO, or any events at all until the FO is done then he'd lose around 1000 points (from not defending his MC points, FO points, and from a Challenger he won in 2008 ).

He'd drop to around #19-21.

shadows
04-22-2009, 01:20 AM
hrm big shame for Gael D:

no point risking further aggravating things by rushing the recovery though.

Bud
04-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Stick a fork in Monfils... :twisted:

Leublu tennis
04-22-2009, 01:41 AM
That would be absolutely disastrous.

....wait, wait, wait....hold on.....can't they make an exception for an injured player to let him keep his points?I don't think they let you keep your points but they protect the ranking so he could enter the tournament without having to qualify. Or something like that.

Leublu tennis
04-22-2009, 01:43 AM
It's a shame, a guy so talented can't stay healthy. And yea, it would hurt his ranking, losing SF pts and gaining nothing.Staying healthy in some cases is not a matter of exercise and diet. Djokovic is the typical example of someone who has a lingering physical problem but he continues to play, even though cruel posters deride his problem.

Leublu tennis
04-22-2009, 01:45 AM
That sucks. Monfils is a really fun player to watch although it must drive you crazy if you were his fan.He is fun to watch. With all those splits he does, we are always expecting him to tear himself in half, but he somehow recovers.

seffina
04-22-2009, 06:31 AM
Hope he doesn't miss it. That would not be good. I was expecting such good things out of him during clay season. :(

SikSerb
04-22-2009, 06:37 AM
Damn man this guy has injuries every season, wonder how he'd go without them occuring all the time.

deltox
04-22-2009, 06:42 AM
That sucks. Monfils is a really fun player to watch although it must drive you crazy if you were his fan.

yes, yes in fact it does drive me insane. but hey i was crazy as hell before he started playing pro tennis, so meh.

SAFINATORZ
04-22-2009, 06:43 AM
He needs to stop sliding on the hard courts. The legs are taking a toll!

120mphBodyServe
04-22-2009, 07:01 AM
Yeah sure... Poor guy... Monfils is a really unique character even if he's a bit crazy...
I bet he's awesome in bed. Anyone want to tell me if he has a girlfriend? Some "therapy" might relieve the tension in his joints... If you know what I mean...

deltox
04-22-2009, 07:14 AM
He needs to stop sliding on the hard courts. The legs are taking a toll!

im not sure this is accurate, sliging on hardcourts vs lunging and making an abrupt stop may actually be worse on his knees.

besides, monfils, wouldnt be monfils without a 5-6 feet slide every 3 games

Gugafan
05-07-2009, 07:38 AM
Any news on the injury???? Is he playing Madrd??

veroniquem
05-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Any news on the injury???? Is he playing Madrd??
According to their official site, he is.

Double_Fault
05-19-2011, 09:40 AM
But didn't he play QF against Federer? Is that why he lost in straights?

Sentinel
05-19-2011, 10:01 AM
DF, are u trying to get banned ???

Cup8489
05-19-2011, 10:04 AM
But didn't he play QF against Federer? Is that why he lost in straights?

Are you really this stupid reviving two year old threads?

Boricua
05-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Frenchman Gael Monfils is in danger of missing his home Grand Slam in Roland Garros due to a persistent knee injury.

The 22-year-old suffers from Osgood-Schlatter disease which causes chronic pain in his knees and leads to the kneecap inflating. Monfils has been forced to miss tournaments in the past due to the problem and wore large bandages on both knees at the Monte Carlo Masters.

He will now miss the clay court Masters events in Rome and Madrid, although Monfils has yet to rule himself out of the French Open.

"Frankly, it's really hard to explain. It's something pretty serious and there is a possibility that I will not play at Roland Garros," Monfils told French sports daily L'Equipe.

"From time to time, there is an inflammation of the kneecap and it's the case now. But I want to keep hope alive. For the moment I'm rested, the only thing I can do is to wait."

Monfils will be desperate to play at Roland Garros as he reached the semi-finals of the tournament last year and has a lot of ranking points to defend.

www.inthenews.co.uk

This is not good news for French tennis and Monfils fans. It was really exciting watching Monfils work the crowd at last years FO. I think its the one slam where Monfils would really fight blood and guts for a good showing...I'm hoping he can make it.

Wow, one would not think this would happen to a guy who looks so strong and is still young.

Hope he gets better as he is very talented, and still looking to get to his peak someday.

batz
05-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Wow, one would not think this would happen to a guy who looks so strong and is still young.

Hope he gets better as he is very talented, and still looking to get to his peak someday.

This thread is 2 years old. DF (bless him) has bumped it.

Fate Archer
05-19-2011, 03:51 PM
I remember this thread. Monfils even retired that year during the exhibitions that should be happening now before the French.

I though he wasn't even going to make the second or third round if he played, but then he went on to play an insane point like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Yy4tmPuYU&feature=related) in that tourney and made the quarters only losing against Fed who went on to win the French that year.

It didn't look like he was much concerned with his knees on that point.