PDA

View Full Version : Long Island College Tennis

JBlake27
04-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Hey guys, I am a junior on long island who has aspirations of playing college tennis. I am shooting for D3 and I was curious if anyone knew how hard d3 and d2 schools on long island were to get into. On my varsity team I bounce between 1 and 2 singles. Thanks

eeytennis
04-27-2009, 04:09 AM
Not sure exactly what D3 and D2 schools are on Long island but have you looked into NYU or Hunter College, both in the "area"? Both have at least decent programs for men and might be something that you want to look into...

OleNole
04-27-2009, 08:34 AM
Sign up for some USTA tournaments to see where you stand. Check out the College Board website for info about individual schools, then check out the school's website, which is always listed in the cb profile.
Do your research and know what you want. I had the oportunity to play at some smaller D2 schools in the northeast, but I chose to go to a larger, more academically rigorous university because it was a better fit overall, even though I'll never make the team.

gogeta087
04-27-2009, 04:03 PM
http://www.longislandcolleges.com/

I never noticed that even though I live here I couldn't think of many schools here :D

tennisjon
05-01-2009, 08:03 AM
I am a D3 coach at Drew in New Jersey. There aren't too many good D3 programs on Long Island. We have 2 players on my team from Long Island. Please check us out and maybe you can see how you compare. St. Joe's went to regionals last year by winning their conference. CUNY Baruch and Hunter are also good teams (Hunter should go to regionals this year). NYU is a very good team, however, access to court time in Manhattan schools except for Columbia is probably very limited. Queens College is a good D2 program. St. Johns and Fordham are D1, but not that strong compared to D1 programs of the south. Manhattanville is also a good D3 program in the region. We have won our conference 8 straight years. Check us out!

JBlake27
05-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the info guys and ill also be sure to check out Drew tennisjon

JBlake27
05-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Also tennisjon, I see you have a player from Mattituck, this year my school beat them 7-0, and I won at 1st singles 6-3, 6-2

tennisjon
05-04-2009, 03:28 AM
Yeah, Matt was 1st singles there last year. He's a really good competitor and has improved a lot since coming to Drew. We just won our conference for 9th year in a row. Next year, when we win, we get to go to nationals, since our conference will be eligible for AQ. If you have any questions about colleges let me know.

tennisjon
05-05-2009, 07:33 AM
btw...let me know if you are interested in contacting Matt to play tennis this summer.

quicksilversig
05-05-2009, 10:49 PM
I am a former Division I & Division II head coach...

There are only a handful of schools on Long Island with Tennis programs. Stony Brook and Hofstra are both Division I schools. Dowling and Adelphi are both Division II. St. Josephs in Patchogue and SUNY Farmingdale are Division III.

In terms of how hard it is to get on anyone of these teams will vary. If you plan on playing for a Division II or III school...do research on the school to see if it fulfills your academic goals. Also do the research on the team, the coach, and it's players.

It is very difficult to receive an athletic scholarship...And remember Division III do not offer athletic scholarships.

coaches will look at many different things. Some coaches do not care about your high school results and will focus mainly on USTA rankings and regional and national tournament results. If you plan on submitting a video to a coach, coach's can tell in the first minute and a half if they will be interested. I would receive so many videos that it would be impossible to watch each one in its entirety. Coach's will be meticulous on a players form, footwork, and athletisism. Also being able to play both singles and doubles is very important because during a match a player will have to play both.

Dowling and Adelphi have pretty decent players on there team. they both have international players on there roster...all of whom have been high ranked in there respective countries. And the players they do have on there rosters from the US, some were highly ranked in there respective section. I am not to familiar with SUNY Farmingdale. St. Josephs has some decent players on the team to...they just won the SKyline conference championships and qualified for the NCAA tournament. THey have a few all county and all state players who were highly ranked in the Eastern section on there roster.

What is your USTA ranking? Tournament results? High school results?

Good Luck!

tennisjon
05-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Some very good points above. At D3 schools since we are not offering scholarships, the video isn't as important, but it does provide information to the coach. We like to see someone with a ranking because it shows their level of competition and usually these players are more ready for the competition associated with college.

As for getting accepted, we can help a borderline student get into the school, but we will only do that for students that we feel can contribute to the program and would most certainly go to the school if they got in. D1 and D2 schools may or may not have scholarships available. Usually, they are only part-scholarships. One thing to consider is the overall package of the school. The starting price of the school may not be any where near what you wind up paying. There are need-based and academic packages available. A few years ago, less than 5 kids in the freshman class where I work paid full tuition. The point is: don't eliminate a school because its expensive, the actual price you pay may be significantly less.

J011yroger
05-06-2009, 05:09 PM
I am a former Division I & Division II head coach...

Do you still coach?

Are you around on LI?

Feel free to fire me a private e-mail.

J

JBlake27
05-06-2009, 05:36 PM
I have only played a few tournaments, but at the high school level I will be all league this year and possibly all county. Our team will win our division and I am undefeated.

quicksilversig
05-06-2009, 06:17 PM
My advice to you is to play as many USTA tournaments in the upcoming months to see how you stand against other players. Like I said previously, many coach's do not care about high school results because they know that ability levels vary greatly...most high school players are weak...you may be undefeated, but how strong is your division. Many college players do not even bother playing high school and rather train and play USTA tournaments...this is why it is important to play USTA and attain decent results and ranking. I suggest training on and of the court to ready yourself for college...focus on form, footwork, and consistency. Start running on the track, sprints, suicides, etc. What are some of your tournament results? I have had the pleasure of meeting a few players from the Long Island Region who play high school tennis at a college showcase down south a few months ago. How do you measure up against the other all county/all state players from NY/LI. How have you done against B. Rudduck, D. Roberts, B. Roberts, B. Coman, Z. Dean, B. Gordon, and others?

quicksilversig
05-06-2009, 06:24 PM
J011yroger,

Retired from coaching, but do alot of scouting/consulting work for a few DI schools in the south. I worked extensively with the USTA Eastern section for a number of years also so i am pretty familiar with many of the players, area coaches, and colleges.

J011yroger
05-06-2009, 06:32 PM
J011yroger,

Retired from coaching, but do alot of scouting/consulting work for a few DI schools in the south. I worked extensively with the USTA Eastern section for a number of years also so i am pretty familiar with many of the players, area coaches, and colleges.

Very cool. Thanks for the reply.

J

tennisjon
05-07-2009, 07:16 AM
I would recommend playing some tournaments this summer; both 18 and under and men's open. Check out the guys you played last year who are now playing in college and see where they play and what they play to give you an idea of the competition. I would try to go see St. Joseph's play on Long Island. Although they go to nationals because they win their conference, it is one of the weakest conferences in the nation. They are a typical D3 level team. There are many that are better and many that are worse. If you can, check out Queens College and see what an above average D2 team looks like. Schools like NYU, Baruch, Hunter, and Drew fall in between these two levels.