PDA

View Full Version : Most Universally Liked Player Ever

bladepdb
04-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Saw a thread about this. Figured it was a poll-worthy question.

jamesblakefan#1
04-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Guga. Never heard anyone say anything bad about him.

DarthFed
04-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Im gonna say Agassi...i don't see him flamed to holy hell

samej07
04-21-2009, 08:26 PM
as far as the poll goes, i voted Guga.

you coulda added Vitas Gerulaitis to the list though. i've only ever heard good things about him. Even McEnroe loved him when they were on the tour together. that should say somethin about him. :)

veroniquem
04-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Im gonna say Agassi...i don't see him flamed to holy hell
He used to be when he was young though, a lot!

veroniquem
04-21-2009, 08:35 PM
I love the objectivity of a poll that puts Federer among the choices but not Nadal...

moonbat
04-21-2009, 08:39 PM
How about Rafter?

mandy01
04-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Well I think its Federer and Agassi both.
I know more about Fed so I'll say this-boy,are people crazy about the guy pretty much everywhere. :wink:
The guy appeals to people of all generations IMO.

Blinkism
04-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Davydenko?

He's solid, never says anything wrong, plays fair and plays well.

Other then that, it seems Safin has a much bigger fan base than you'd expect. I vote Marat.

DarthFed
04-21-2009, 08:41 PM
I love the objectivity of a poll that puts Federer among the choices but not Nadal...

It's blatantly obvious that he shouldn't be there:???:

But i agree with you neither should Fed....im suprised the anti-fans haven't nailed him to a cross yet:confused:

icedevil0289
04-21-2009, 08:42 PM
I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about edberg before, I think he is universally liked.

theagassiman

The thing is though, Nadal is hated by a lot of people.
Even though if you put all the bad things Nadal and Federer have done together, logically, it should be Federer who is hated more.

DarthFed
Wait are we talking universally as in this forum? or in general? because otherwise for me it's fed, on this forum it's Andre

out of my household alone, Me, my mom (she finds him handsome), my 2 younger brothers, and my uncle are Fed fans, only my dad likes Nadal (my parents are casual viewers though)

mandy01
04-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Davydenko?

He's solid, never says anything wrong, plays fair and plays well.

Other then that, it seems Safin has a much bigger fan base than you'd expect. I vote Marat.
well..Davydenko dosent have the appeal that people want to see but I personally agree with your views about him
I love Marat too :D

DarthFed
04-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Even though if you put all the bad things Nadal and Federer have done together, logically, it should be Federer who is hated more.

explain?

10char

mandy01
04-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Even though if you put all the bad things Nadal and Federer have done together, logically, it should be Federer who is hated more.WTF? What kind if a logic is that?

mandy01
04-21-2009, 08:46 PM
I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about edberg before, I think he is universally liked.
well yes,you're right in a way.But many could never relate to Edberg.Surprisngly Borg inspite of being the ice man had a gigantic fan base..or so I've heard.

icedevil0289
04-21-2009, 08:46 PM

what bad things? I don't understand how either of these two people are anyone on the atp tour can be hated unless they did something horrible. Did anyone come after your mom or something? Being blunt and saying things that can thought of as hurtful doesn't equal "all the bad things".

TennisandMusic
04-21-2009, 08:47 PM
I'd say Edberg by far.

icedevil0289
04-21-2009, 08:49 PM
well yes,you're right in a way.But many could never relate to Edberg.Surprisngly Borg inspite of being the ice man had a gigantic fan base..or so I've heard.

well i don't know about relating to him, but he was known to be very classy and was really pleasant to watch oncourt. This is just from what I've heard and seen.

DarthFed
04-21-2009, 08:51 PM
well i don't know about relating to him, but he was known to be very classy and was really pleasant to watch oncourt. This is just from what I've heard and seen.

Borg seems like a guy i could have been friends with in a different time and place

His unwavering and composed facial expression and quiet demeanor (from what i've seen) practically mirrors my own

icedevil0289
04-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Borg seems like a guy i could have been friends with in a different time and place

His unwavering and composed facial expression and quiet demeanor (from what i've seen) practically mirrors my own

I was talking about edberg.

mandy01
04-21-2009, 08:53 PM
yeah he was amazing to watch , thats for sure..aesthetically pleasing.One player who's vids I can always watch.

gj011
04-21-2009, 09:01 PM
You sad ever and than put only players who played in this decade, with Edberg as a lone exception.

Where are Laver, Borg and other older generations players?

bluetrain4
04-21-2009, 09:11 PM
I guarantee that if we could actually poll players, the most universally liked player would be a an everyday tour player, not one of the elite.

There's a difference between being affirmatively liked as a person, and simply not being disliked.

Being a champion takes a certain focus and intensity that in some ways can isolate the best from the rest. At the very least, since the best players are always going deep in tournaments and are usually regimented in their preparation, they have less time to hang around, get to really know other players as people. I'm sure they have a few "friends" on tour, but beyond that, they won't have as much time to get to know others. And, the best players usually have bigger entourages who can take up a lot of time.

Of course, they know everyone from the lockeroom as you know and I know everyone at work because we see them all the time, but really getting to know someone takes more than repeated small-talk discussions.

Someone like Jonas Bjorkman (just an example) would probably be the most universally liked.

Ljubicic for number1
04-21-2009, 10:13 PM
I think Pat Rafter would have won this pole if included.

carlos djackal
04-21-2009, 11:19 PM
I would have voted for Patrick Rafter but since he ain't in the choices I'd go with Guga....

BorisBeckerFan
04-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Gustavo Kuerten

Leublu tennis
04-22-2009, 01:28 AM
I love the objectivity of a poll that puts Federer among the choices but not Nadal...Well, I would not have included Federer. I don't particularly like Federer and am not a Nadal fan either.

What I don't understand is the inclusion of Edberg. Why of all the former stars pick him? How is he more liked than Connors, Borg, or Becker? Anyway, its the posters thread and he has the right to make his own picks.

Leublu tennis
04-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Oh, and I voted for Marat, who else. I think if this poll were open to the world, Marat would win hands down.

BreakPoint
04-22-2009, 01:33 AM
Hey, where's John McEnroe on this list? ;) :shock:

Gorecki
04-22-2009, 03:15 AM
i forgot to mention them previously but most definitelly Kuerten and Rafter like someone said...

also going a bit backwards... Amritraj...

rolandg
04-22-2009, 03:17 AM
Rafter or Edberg. Universally liked. Guga was really popular too.

Agassi was considered a bully, even in his post slump, holier than thou phase.

Not sure how popular Safin is either.

origmarm
04-22-2009, 03:30 AM
Someone like Jonas Bjorkman (just an example) would probably be the most universally liked.

Completely agree with this. Him or Guga of the modern crowd. Rafter apparently was well liked also but had a tendency to get confrontational with people sometimes I've read. I'd also put in a vote for Edberg. Gerulaitus though for me is the "all time" winner.

charliefedererer
04-22-2009, 06:24 AM
Stefan Edberg was so well liked that they should name an award after him.

oscar_2424
04-22-2009, 06:28 AM
Guga. Never heard anyone say anything bad about him.

I second that.

jimwh
04-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Would have to say Borg.

ferim
04-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Guga Kuerten

icestorm
04-22-2009, 11:19 PM
James Blake

devila
04-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Fed, Agassi and Blake are fake, holier than thou idiots.

rafan
04-23-2009, 12:09 AM

That name "Nadal" will be long remembered when all the others are forgotten

paulorenzo
04-23-2009, 12:17 AM

how so? as of now, i can bet more people will remember the names Laver, Sampras, and Federer.
longevity is key. when jim courier was number one he won a few slams, up until his legs quit during quarterfinal matches of tournies.
only the future can tell for certain, but history gives huge hints.

rafan
04-23-2009, 11:01 PM
how so? as of now, i can bet more people will remember the names Laver, Sampras, and Federer.
longevity is key. when jim courier was number one he won a few slams, up until his legs quit during quarterfinal matches of tournies.
only the future can tell for certain, but history gives huge hints.

Have Sampras and Federer won on all surfaces in a year: FO, Olympics, Wimbledon, AO - or have i missed something here? Did they inject some of the passion back into tennis that had been missing for so long?

paulorenzo
04-24-2009, 12:49 PM
]Have Sampras and Federer won on all surfaces in a year: FO, Olympics, Wimbledon, AO [/B]- or have i missed something here? Did they inject some of the passion back into tennis that had been missing for so long?

that is great that rafa has done that for you. rafa, to this date, has done a lot, for sure. but most people can still argue, and will argue successfully, that rafa isn't as accomplished as Laver and Sampras, and even Federer. to answer your question, federer has won on all surfaces in one year, and so has Laver(all surfaces at the time).

if you consider the AO and Olympic, Beijing courts to be different surfaces, then your argument fails, Rafa hasn't won on all surfaces in a single year because he hasn't won on the USO hardcourts.

i guess you are missing something. but don't get me wrong, rafa is certainly on his way, but there are a lot of variables in his way. stamina throughout the year, injury due to style of play, possible lack of career longevity due to style of play. i'm being very objective here.

rafan
04-24-2009, 12:58 PM
that is great that rafa has done that for you. rafa, to this date, has done a lot, for sure. but most people can still argue, and will argue successfully, that rafa isn't as accomplished as Laver and Sampras, and even Federer. to answer your question, federer has won on all surfaces in one year, and so has Laver(all surfaces at the time).

if you consider the AO and Olympic, Beijing courts to be different surfaces, then your argument fails, Rafa hasn't won on all surfaces in a single year because he hasn't won on the USO hardcourts.

i guess you are missing something. but don't get me wrong, rafa is certainly on his way, but there are a lot of variables in his way. stamina throughout the year, injury due to style of play, possible lack of career longevity due to style of play. i'm being very objective here.

The USO will no doubt be on his agenda this year - no problem

veroniquem
04-24-2009, 01:01 PM

I think he meant Federer (or Sampras for that matter) have not won slams on clay, grass and hard court.
Your distinction between Olympic hard court and USO hard court doesn't make much sense since it was widely publicized that The Olympics and the USO surfaces were as similar as can be.

paulorenzo
04-24-2009, 01:16 PM
I think he meant Federer (or Sampras for that matter) have not won slams on clay, grass and hard court.
Your distinction between Olympic hard court and USO hard court doesn't make much sense since it was widely publicized that The Olympics and the USO surfaces were as similar as can be.

he never mentioned "slam" in his original statement. so i guess he was referring to regular surfaces regardless of caliber. and i was just proving a point that hardcourts are hardcourts. rafa won on hard, as well as sampras and federer. rafa federer and sampras have all won on hard, grass and clay. albeit sampras may not have won on all 3 surfaces in one year.

Have Sampras and Federer won on all surfaces in a year: FO, Olympics, Wimbledon, AO - or have i missed something here? Did they inject some of the passion back into tennis that had been missing for so long?

veroniquem
04-24-2009, 01:52 PM
he never mentioned "slam" in his original statement. so i guess he was referring to regular surfaces regardless of caliber. and i was just proving a point that hardcourts are hardcourts. rafa won on hard, as well as sampras and federer. rafa federer and sampras have all won on hard, grass and clay. albeit sampras may not have won on all 3 surfaces in one year.
He only mentioned slams + Olympics in his post. You really thought he meant tournaments like Kitzbuhel?
I for one am telling you that Nadal is the only one of the 3 (Federer and Sampras) who has won slams on grass, clay and hard and who doesn't have a weak surface.

maximo
04-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Voted for Agassi.

muzza123
04-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Guga "Ooo-airr!!" Kuerten and Agassi IMO.

paulorenzo
04-24-2009, 02:40 PM
He only mentioned slams + Olympics in his post. You really thought he meant tournaments like Kitzbuhel?
I for one am telling you that Nadal is the only one of the 3 (Federer and Sampras) who has won slams on grass, clay and hard and who doesn't have a weak surface.
hasn't sampras won the rome masters?
bro, i never acknowledged that nadal was a weak player at all, but was simply stating a response to rafan when he made this comment.

although, veroniquiem, we both can agree that the statement is not at all impossible or out of reach, but is not at all sure guarantee as well. bold statements are nice, but they should at least be reinforced adequately, or else the person who made the statement will look a tad ignorant.

BullDogTennis
04-24-2009, 05:18 PM
id say james blake.

veroniquem
04-24-2009, 05:20 PM
bro, i never acknowledged that nadal was a weak player at all, but was simply stating a response to rafan when he made this comment.

although, veroniquiem, we both can agree that the statement is not at all impossible or out of reach, but is not at all sure guarantee as well. bold statements are nice, but they should at least be reinforced adequately, or else the person who made the statement will look a tad ignorant.
Rome is not a slam.

Chelsea_Kiwi
04-24-2009, 05:21 PM
I for one am telling you that Nadal is the only one of the 3 (Federer and Sampras) who has won slams on grass, clay and hard and who doesn't have a weak surface. Once again changing it into Nadal vs Fed. Every thread with you *******s you have to do this.

veroniquem
04-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Once again changing it into Nadal vs Fed. Every thread with you *******s you have to do this.
I was answering somebody. I have no idea who started this discussion.

Bassus
04-24-2009, 05:38 PM
How about Rafter?

Yep.

It seems he was one of the most-liked, and well respected players in his day. I wish he would have stuck around a little longer. Some of the best tennis I ever saw was the 2000 and 2001 Wimbledon semifinals, and the 2001 AO semifinal between Rafter and Agassi.

Puma
04-24-2009, 06:13 PM
kiefer,,,,,,,,,,,,

bladepdb
04-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Glad you guys have shared so many opinions so far, wish I could have included more players to begin with.

For those who pointed out the lack of Nadal, I feel it is safe to say that Nadal is a very polarizing name to throw out there right now. Fed had has at least four solid years of tour performance to prove his likability, whereas Nadal has only really had two years tops. (I'm not talking about results, I'm talking about being in the public eye). This is my main reason for leaving out Nadal: he simply has not been in the GENERAL public's eye for as long as Federer has. Only the hardcore tennis fans really knew of Nadal and his potential over two years ago; everyone knew Federer when he took down Pete and started his streak of domination in 04.

paulorenzo
04-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Rome is not a slam.

did i ever say rome was a slam? look for the line in which i said, "rome is a slam"
haah. we were not talking a bout slams, you brought up Kitzbuhel, to as if it was sampras's greatest clay court achievement, when it wasn't, that is why i mentioned rome.
funny how you insist on making everything i say into an argument about slams. 6<11<13<14.

kraggy
04-24-2009, 09:28 PM
This is my main reason for leaving out Nadal: he simply has not been in the GENERAL public's eye for as long as Federer has. Only the hardcore tennis fans really knew of Nadal and his potential over two years ago; everyone knew Federer when he took down Pete and started his streak of domination in 04.

And of course BAGGY is way more well known than Nadal right??!!!

IMO leaving Nadal out is correct, he would be a bad option for the poll. But if there is one person who is a worse option than Nadal, it is Federer!

boredone3456
04-24-2009, 09:30 PM
I'd have to say either Agassi or Moya

WHSTENNIS
04-24-2009, 09:43 PM

Nadal fits under the others...

rafan
04-24-2009, 10:22 PM

Please get my gender right - I am a female. Some people cannot accept this new phenomenon, Nadal. If you cannot accept the statement I made about Nadal's outstanding performances, then you should take a survey and find out how many people are turning on their televisions when he is playing. People who were not interested in tennis before, or people like me who lost interest during the years when Sampras was playing. Nadal is more than just someone who wins slams he is unique, the way Borg Jimmy and Mac were - and thank heavens the tennis world has him now to bring back was was missing

paulorenzo
04-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Please get my gender right - I am a female. Some people cannot accept this new phenomenon, Nadal. If you cannot accept the statement I made about Nadal's outstanding performances, then you should take a survey and find out how many people are turning on their televisions when he is playing. People who were not interested in tennis before, or people like me who lost interest during the years when Sampras was playing. Nadal is more than just someone who wins slams he is unique, the way Borg Jimmy and Mac were - and thank heavens the tennis world has him now to bring back was was missing

sorry about the gender mix up.
look chick/mam, since it's your ballsy claim, shouldn't you be the one making a survey or what not?
so then, you would actually have something to back your argument up with other than just personal intuition/gut feeling. makes sense, huh?

petetheileet
05-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Guga for sure!

Gugafan
05-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Gugas leading the poll. I mean even the french crowd considered him the prodigal son of Roland Garros...I think he put in alot of effort in the UNICEF campaign to promote tennis in less privilaged parts of the world. He also donated alot of his prize money to his brother who suffered from a disability.

muzza123
05-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Gotta be Guga (gotta love his "ooo-eer" grunt) but what is there not to like about Agassi? :) Those two by a country mile IMO

jimbo333
05-04-2009, 04:49 PM
It's just a good job the OP didn't put Sampras on the list, or he would be winning the poll!

I voted for Edberg or maybe Agassi, I can't remember:)

West Coast Ace
05-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Where's Vince Spadea? He's a rapper - everyone likes rappers! :rolleyes:

I vote for Anna Kournikova. Let the haters stew...

BorisBeckerFan
05-04-2009, 05:18 PM
I am glad to see Fed is almost as well liked as Guga and Agassi. I thought Guga adn Agassi would have run away with this as far as being universally liked is concerned. I know Fed has a lot of fans but he also has a lot of haters. I can't remember too many people having bad things to say about Guga and Andre's off court achievements speak volumes for Agassi. Guga and Agassi weren't just liked they were loved.

West Coast Ace
05-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Guga and Agassi weren't just liked they were loved.I'm sure you mean the 2nd incarnation of Andre. When he first came on tour he was despised for being all show (endorsement deals and cash) and no go (losing major finals).

BorisBeckerFan
05-04-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm sure you mean the 2nd incarnation of Andre. When he first came on tour he was despised for being all show (endorsement deals and cash) and no go (losing major finals).

You are correct

BorisBeckerFan
05-04-2009, 05:37 PM

I vote for Anna Kournikova. Let the haters stew...

Anna Kournikova is a good choice

theagassiman
05-04-2009, 06:27 PM
WTF? What kind if a logic is that?

Well have you seen Nadal throw his racquet?
Or swear, or lose his temper?

Federer has done all those things.

It just seems to me that Federer has more charisma, plus he mellowed as he got older. It also helps that he has a much more relaxed, enjoyable-to-watch playing style than Nadal.

pushing_wins
05-04-2009, 06:35 PM
agassi?

please explain

Arafel
05-04-2009, 06:47 PM
If you weren't following tennis in the 70s, it's pretty hard to understand the mystique of people like Borg and Connors. The two were like rock stars. Borg was more liked at the time, because Connors could sometimes be rather crass. At the 77 US Open, the fans at Forest Hills really turned on Connors and it helped Vilas get the title. It wasn't until around 1980 that the NY crowds really embraced Connors, and the Wimbledon crowds did shortly thereafter.

Borg, OTOH, he was the blonde god, the quiet Swede with the piercing eyes and beautiful face. I never liked him much as a player, but he was sooo beautiful. People followed him around at tournaments like he was the star of the show, and in many ways he was. Everybody liked Borg, even his rivals.

One of the reasons McEnroe fell off in 1982 was because Bjorn left, and Mac felt he'd lost the rival who brought out the best in him. True story, one time, early in Mac's career, he was playing Bjorn and going off about something, and Borg walked to the net and waited patiently for Mac to finish losing it, then called John to the net, looked at him, and quietly said, "John, it's just a tennis match." You'll notice that in his matches against Borg, McEnroe never lost his temper, almost like it would be sacreligious to do so.

I haven't seen any player since who was followed the way Borg was.

On the women's side however, Chris Evert was much the same way.

Sentinel
05-04-2009, 08:10 PM
would have to say Djokovic .....

OJ ROD
05-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Where's the Ivanisevic choice?

crabgrass
05-06-2009, 02:55 AM
there's a difference between most popular and most universally liked,
mcenroe and agassi are more popular than edberg but there's also plenty who dislike them...that doesnt apply to edberg.
Also the aussies from the 60s particulary laver and rosewall are guys who were not only great players but outstanding role models...try and find a bad word written about either.
von cramm in the 30's from all accounts was quite a commendable chap but being a german in that era i'm sure he'd have had a few haters also.

kafelnikov
05-06-2009, 04:54 AM
Didn't Moya cheat on Flavia Pennetta? That doesn't sound like a gentleman to me..

THUNDERVOLLEY
05-06-2009, 06:06 AM
What? No Djokovic on the list?

Yeah, i'm kidding.

Kobble
05-06-2009, 01:32 PM
By the public (namely U.S.) = Agassi

Tennis community = Kuerten

srvnvly
05-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Edberg; the epitome of sportsmanship, not to mention one of the most awesome volleyers ever

Leublu tennis
05-06-2009, 05:22 PM

I vote for Anna Kournikova. Let the haters stew...Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, Anna. Anna, Anna, Annaaaaaaaaaaaa

OddJack
05-06-2009, 05:22 PM
All Nadal fans voted for Agassi.
It's so obvious who is the most liked player in the world.

Leublu tennis
05-06-2009, 05:25 PM
All Nadal fans voted for Agassi.
It's so obvious who is the most liked player in the world.
I am not sure Agassi was all that popular when he was a young rebel. Maybe most of the people who voted for him were not tennis fans 15 years ago.

OddJack
05-06-2009, 07:17 PM
I am not sure Agassi was all that popular when he was a young rebel. Maybe most of the people who voted for him were not tennis fans 15 years ago.

My point was, Roger is the most liked. Bitter Nadal fans voted for Agassi just to whitewash the fact.

bladepdb
05-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Shoulda had some chicks on here :P