PDA

View Full Version : We Need a Federer Replacement

nikdom
04-22-2009, 06:53 AM
I don't mean literally of course :)

But fans of Roger specifically or non-clay court tennis in general have been missing the excitement Roger used to provide us on hard courts before his game went missing and his head exploded etc etc... let's not even discuss Roger's decline in this thread. Until he finds his way back or forever fades away, I want to know if you'd like to some other player step up and give company to extraordinary Nadal, crafty Murray and resurgent Djokovic.

Present one player's name and give a short explanation of why you want (wish for) him to be the fourth heavyweight and round out the top of the men's game.

My pick - Jo Wilfred Tsonga
When I saw Jo play Rafa in the AO semis last year, I remember thinking to myself, this is how the future of hard court tennis is going to look like. He's built like a boxer, but moves effortlessly. There's plenty punch on those groundstrokes and yet he can mix it up. The serving and net play were awesome in that match. Of course, he hasn't sustained that level of play again. Blame his health issues or his head, but I would like this guy to play like the AO semis more often and challenge the other 3.

Discuss. Just 1 small note
- Please don't devolve this into a Roger/Rafa thing. Its not about them.

King of Aces
04-22-2009, 07:06 AM
It will never happen......but I love Mardy Fish' game.

Nadal_Freak
04-22-2009, 07:25 AM
I would say Wawrinka is similar and he beat Fed last time. :lol:

Clay lover
04-22-2009, 07:34 AM
I agree that Tsonga is the ideal replacement. Dude's got big serve, huge groundies and sick volleys. If he improves his backhand and goes less for broke, he's the TOP candidate.

Djokovic is a good one too if he isn't such a flake mentally. All his tools are above average but he has no stamina and mental game to show for it.

pete92
04-22-2009, 08:39 AM

Wawrinka's game is good to watch, plays ok on every surface and doesnt have any major weaknesses. I would like to see him have a real breakthrough year, where he wins a shield, probably on clay.

Razda
04-22-2009, 08:52 AM
I would like to believe Gasquet can surge into the top 4. I love his game and net skills. To me, the next Federer has to be someone with a one hand backhand. Its a must.

nikdom
04-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Does anyone have faith Del Petro may be the guy to take the next big step?

nikdom
04-22-2009, 09:02 AM
It will never happen......but I love Mardy Fish' game.

There's plenty to like there in his aggressive game. I thought he played very well last year at IW. If Taylor Dent could get physically better, he might be another very exciting hard court player to watch.

theduh
04-22-2009, 10:04 AM
I would like to believe Gasquet can surge into the top 4. I love his game and net skills. To me, the next Federer has to be someone with a one hand backhand. Its a must.

For sure! this is should be one requirements, plus a K90 user.

Leublu tennis
04-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Federer had longevity as #1. Look at some of the others who were there for a while but not long enough to develop a following a la Federer, Safin, Moya, Hewitt, and Ferrero. Federer becama a cult-like figure after years of being a winner. Nadal is likely to do that, if he stays #1 for a few years. Lets just see.

ty slothrop
04-22-2009, 11:14 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/players/playerprofiles/default.asp?playernumber=D875

right now he's 390 in the world, but only 17. look up his rotterdam match with rafa on youtube...

rubberduckies
04-22-2009, 11:36 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/players/playerprofiles/default.asp?playernumber=D875

right now he's 390 in the world, but only 17. look up his rotterdam match with rafa on youtube...

Dimitrov can actually hit a one-handed backhand, so he can't be a Federer replacement.

Maybe a guy like Alex Clayton.

mandy01
04-22-2009, 11:41 AM
I like Grigor.Interestingly, Pete is 10 years older than Roger and was one of his idols while growing up.Similarly , Rog is ten years older than Grigor and is also his idol. :wink:
Not to mention Grigor's beautiful game like Roger's with a gorgeous BH. :D

GameSampras
04-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Doubtful we are going to see a player put up the type of results and numbers Fed was putting up in 04-07 in quite a long time.

Of course I didnt think a player would be close to Pete's 14 either for quite a long time and just a few years later someone was doing it. So who knows.

Im sure there will be someone who comes along and dominate eventually at that level.

Fed had longevity but not among the greatest in terms of longevity at the top. 4 years is quite a while but it doesnt stack up to Pancho, Pete, Laver, etc

Cyan
04-22-2009, 12:26 PM

True.... 1HBH and all.

fastdunn
04-22-2009, 12:46 PM
My pick - Jo Wilfred Tsonga

I second that. And I "hope" Gasquet and Baghdatis come back and join the top 10 too.

P_Agony
04-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Gasquet and Wawrinka are great but they aren't made of the stuff that defines champions.

I hope this Dimitrov guy will continue when Federer left off (he didn't leave yet though), but I really doubt there would be a player with Federer's style that can rule the tennis world like Federer did.