PDA

View Full Version : Things to appreciate about Babolat

JennyS
03-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Babolat is not everyone's cup of tea, but I think there are a lot of things that even non fans could appreciate about the company.

-The company is sticking with its two most successful racquets (Pure Drive and Control) while also introducing new racquets.
-They don't push all their top players to use paintjobs.
-Their racquet names are simple (n sixone 90 and rdx-500 would make good names for Star Wars droids)
-Even with their popularity, you don't see $15 Babolat racquets at Target or Walmart or any Babolat frames at Sports Authority and other sporting good stores.
-The racquets look cool.
-They make their racquets with the young generation in mind.
-They've been good to juniors and college players.

amadextor
03-12-2005, 08:31 AM
I agree with most of it, except lack of control, even in Pure Control, and I think Babolat rackets look kind of "***", no class.... if you know what I mean.

amadextor
03-12-2005, 08:32 AM
I wanted to say G-A-Y

Power Game
03-12-2005, 09:50 AM

They aren't really good unless you get the full packages... They have very strict pricing policies....

scez
03-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Another good thing about babolat is that they are getting a lot of new kids into the game.

tennisnj
03-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Since my response had to be longer then 10 characters...NOTHING

Venetian
03-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Maybe these other posters are older, but I, like you JennyS am young and think Babolat's are great, even though i don't play with them. I think the older players on the board generally don't like them because their light and flashy. I could be wrong though.

Cruzer
03-12-2005, 03:32 PM
A lot of people like to bash Babolat racquets however the reality is their racquets are VERY popular, particularly the Pure Drive. I have used the Pure Drive for about five years and although I have switched to other racquets for a short periods of time I always ended up coming back to the Pure Drive. What really demonstrates the popularity of the Pure Drive is the fact that they hold their value very well. I have recently switched to the Aeropro Drive and have been selling my Pure Drives on ****. I had a couple of brand new ones and several used ones and they all sold on **** for a lot more than I expected they would. Whereas I have sold quite a few other racquets on ****, some new and some used (BTW all the used racquets I sell are in 9+/10 condition) and some didn't get any bids or barely sold above the starting price.

AndrewD
03-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Babolat is not everyone's cup of tea, but I think there are a lot of things that even non fans could appreciate about the company.

-The company is sticking with its two most successful racquets (Pure Drive and Control) while also introducing new racquets.
-They don't push all their top players to use paintjobs.
-Their racquet names are simple (n sixone 90 and rdx-500 would make good names for Star Wars droids)
-Even with their popularity, you don't see $15 Babolat racquets at Target or Walmart or any Babolat frames at Sports Authority and other sporting good stores.
-The racquets look cool.
-They make their racquets with the young generation in mind.

I agree that the first point in a nice one for those of us who are getting sick and tired of constantly changing racquet line-ups (Head in particular) but dont really think that the name of the racquet or where you can purchase it is any reason to appreciate them. If I go into the bigger sporting goods chains here in Australia I can get any Babolat frame. That is to be appreciated as why make them in any way elitist? Looks are subjective, I dont mind the Pure Drive but my girlfriend hates it so its a moot point. As to point six I'll bet they dont make their racquets with the younger generation 'uppermost' in mind. They know its the older generation with a lot more money who drive their sales. As to whether they've been good to juniors and college players and whether or not the dont use paintjobs I have no idea.

None of those things matter at all. The racquets play well for most people and thats about all you can ask. Yes, they have limitations but all racquets do (the main one usually being the person who uses it). Still, why does anyone need to appreciate Babolat for anything other than the quality of their products?

Venetian
03-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Because a quality company is different from a quality product. And Babolat is a quality company.

Coda
03-12-2005, 08:06 PM
if babolat is your thing great, but I like to use touch and control when I play tennis! I don't want to end up as a baseline basher.

OldSchooLTennis
03-12-2005, 08:22 PM
I think alot of babolat raquets seem to be made for people who are just 1 dimensional and just rail ground strokes. I agree that they are a quality company but the only reason that i really love babalot is there gut string line. You guys didnt mention anything about that. The strings they make are much better then there raquets i think.

chnzxguy
03-12-2005, 09:22 PM
I actually don't hit with babolat racquets much. But, i must agree that they are becoming more popular.

Ryoma Kun
03-12-2005, 09:36 PM
to be honest with everyone, ive hated every babolat ive tried (pure drive, control, aero series) but as much as i hate it, i push people to buy it, becasue i feel everyone no matter what level can play with the pure drive (its the only one we sell, extended, standard, and OS).

i give props to the nonpaintjob, that shows how strongly they believe in their product.

goober
03-12-2005, 09:46 PM
am I the only one that hasn't hit with a babolat? I have tried just about every other brand.

ffrpg
03-12-2005, 11:18 PM
am I the only one that hasn't hit with a babolat? I have tried just about every other brand.

I'm in the same boat. I've been meaning to demo the Aeropro control, but the tennis courts down here are covered in snow :(

PrestigeClassic
03-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Same here, but I must demo the Pure Control soon. Not sure what the differences are between the Pure Drive and Pure Control; their specs seem very similar. And among Pure Control frames, there are a lot of variations. ???

equinox
03-13-2005, 12:07 AM
I bought 3 PD's retail $900aus and played with them for about one year.
I found the pd provided plenty of spin potential and a little too much power. The pd provided near zero touch and control on the volleys. Any tension less than 60 lbs and the trampoline effect of the woofer would ocassionally and unexpectly launch the ball out of court. PD has an unpredictable string bed. Unfortunetly stringing at 60 lbs has caused me arm problems. I'll probably look to sell the PD's off to some of my club juniors for cheap.

I was talking to a tennis friend and he told me a promising junior in his side was offered and took preferred player pricing of approximately $100aus a racquet, 1/3 retail of the price.
A not a bad deal if you can get it and you don't value your tennis longevity.

Deuce
03-13-2005, 12:38 AM
While I can agree with Jenny that it's good that Babolat has stuck with their frames, and that they don't seem to have gotten too far into the 'paint job' garbage (this will soon change, I think), I still believe that Babolat is more of a negative than a positive to tennis.

As OldSchool mentioned, Babolat frames encourage a one dimensional type of game. Creativity, touch, angles are not within the Babolat vocabulary. One would think that a company which has produced gut strings for many years would come out with some - if not an entire fleet of - classic, traditional type frames - nice flex and feel, etc. But, for whatever reason, they went the opposite way, and have thus helped to change the game for the worst.

As well, Babolat racquets, because they are so light and stiff, have contributed - and continue to contribute – to the destruction of wrists and elbows and shoulders and arms. And I cannot view this as being a good thing.

Finally, what I appreciate most about Babolat is...

... that I don’t play with one.

Tenny
03-13-2005, 01:18 PM
I've owned a PD for a brief period. Actually I liked its cosmetics a lot-cool blue color with well designed details. Well, I didn't minded a Surge either so... I agree with Jenny in many aspects (good quality, introducing the sport to young generation etc) but...all the Babolat users (or at least Pure drive users), haven't you had any arm problem? The PD was the only one that gave me a pain. I wonder, really wonder whether Bab is going to make a flexible racquet someday.

roger2016
03-15-2005, 03:02 PM
I don't understand why some people don't like the look of babolat racquets. The cosmetics on them are very simple but it's a design that appeals to alot of people partly because of its simplicity.

I've seen players who've jumped on the bandwagon and bought a Pure Drive, and guess what else I've seen them do.. Improve. and that goes along with what Ryoma Kun said. It's not only one person and the pure drive. Another of my friends has the pure control which I bought him for christmas and he aces me way too much for my comfort. Babolat is a quality company which produces quality racquets that are easy on the eyes, Unlike other racquets :) . and if you don't like babolats, then it's your preferance. That's why there's a variety of racquets. Theres my 2 cents

TommyGun
03-15-2005, 03:16 PM
JennyS,

I love the part about other companies rackets sounding like star wars names!

Bab is a great company, and the pure line is pretty good. I agree that they have been pretty good to juniors, and yes, no real paint jobs.

What most of the older guys here might not like about them is how stiff they play and how "young" the frames play.

USCfan
03-15-2005, 03:55 PM
I'm in the same boat. I've been meaning to demo the Aeropro control, but the tennis courts down here are covered in snow :(

Where do you live?

USCfan
03-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Hmmm, things to appreciate about Babolat:
1. aesthetics
2. new aeropros are awesome
3. string

tennisee
03-16-2005, 12:41 AM
I hope I'm not out of line here, - this issue may have been addressed in other threads, but with JennyS's threads it usually seems like I'm taking part in a market survey; I feel like I should get a free gift or something if I reply. Again; apologies if I'm wrong, posted only by someone who appreciates and has benefitted from the good things these boards offer.