PDA

View Full Version : Safin to Come back

bdawg
04-22-2009, 10:56 AM
I found this on a fan site

http://www.safinator.com/home.html

that states "Marat has decided to continue playing tennis for one more year! Check out his official site at maratsafin.com for up to date scores and scheduling information. "

but the link to the official site is not functional.

Has anyone heard anything else about this?

mzzmuaa
04-22-2009, 10:58 AM
I saw that same thing last week on the same site but with last week's date.
It's probably been up since late 2008, which was when Safin decided to continue.

topspin
04-22-2009, 09:09 PM
It would be nice to see him back. He's hillarious.

Fee
04-22-2009, 09:27 PM
The schedule on the bottom of the front page is from 2008. Pretty sure that article is a year old.

hoosierbr
04-22-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm not convinced Safin is going to retire. I think it's more frustration than anything else. He's ranked inside the Top 20 but still hasn't won a title in four years. The only real highlights he's had since then are winning a Davis Cup and reaching the SF at Wimbledon last year.

He's been injured quite a bit as he's gotten older and I'm sure that's taken its toll. I think if he has a great result this year, a big title or another run at a Slam, he might decide to keep going. Why shouldn't he?

Bloodshed
04-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Well I hope Safin does not retire. He has super natural abilities in tennis and he brings alot to the tennis world.

But one has to wonder when he can't close matches (vs Monfils @ Miami and vs Lapentti @ MC), we have to ponder ourselves what's really going through Safin's mind at the moment?

Safin is a great individual but unfortunately the charisma he brings unto the court and his 2 GS wins does bring any justice to him.

Bloodshed
04-22-2009, 10:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I hope Safin does not retire. He has super natural abilities in tennis and he brings alot to the tennis world.

But one has to wonder when he can't close matches (vs Monfils @ Miami and vs Lapentti @ MC), we have to ponder ourselves what's really going through Safin's mind at the moment?

Safin is a great individual but unfortunately the charisma he brings unto the court and his 2 GS wins does not bring any justice to him.

julesb
04-22-2009, 10:49 PM
I hope he does retire. He is a has been who is old and had alot of injuries. Time to move on. Simple as that.

mutantducky
04-22-2009, 10:53 PM
safin could get it done when he was just more talented than everyone else. Now people are as talented or close to it plus working hard to get better. Not sure what people expect of Safin. I don't mind seeing him play but nothing there to convince me he will play consistent top 20 tennis. Someone said go the Agassi route and maybe that will work.

julesb
04-22-2009, 10:59 PM
What Agassi did was something so rare and unusual to expect it again from anyone is silly. If it happens again it is just amazing. Safin is 29 years old. That is OLD for todays game. He should be slowing down and getting worse at this age and he is. There is nothing to be that surprised about. Those wanting him to continue are stupid. If you are his real fan why would you want him to continue when he is too old, has had too many injuries, is facing an improving field, and has no chance of ever coming close to his own old level of tennis of success again except for fluke blips once in awhile like last years Wimbledon. Some of you expect some crazy miracle, but it isnt going to happen, and a true fan of Safin should realize retiring is best for him at this point.

D-Generated
04-23-2009, 02:20 AM
Being "old" at 29 is of course total crap and untrue. It was a fashion in the mid 90s and was wrong then and it is wrong now. Agassi and many others have proved it.

I believe had Safin won last year's final in Moscow, things would have come very different....very

fps
04-23-2009, 02:53 AM
Being "old" at 29 is of course total crap and untrue. It was a fashion in the mid 90s and was wrong then and it is wrong now. Agassi and many others have proved it.

I believe had Safin won last year's final in Moscow, things would have come very different....very

Who other than Agassi has really proved it? I say this because I cannot think of another grand slam champion who has recovered his level while hovering around 30. For instance I did not follow Sampras' career very closely but from what I understand his last slam was a bit of a flash in the pan.

featherlight
04-23-2009, 04:53 AM
that is real good news thanks

sureshs
04-23-2009, 06:43 AM

If you consider playing tennis by taking cortisone injections in the back with an 8 inch needle normal, I don't know what to say.

Though Santoro and the doubles players do it, but doubles is, well, doubles.

Lsmkenpo
04-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Reminds me of when he said he was not going to play at Wimbledon anymore, hopefully he will return for at least another season.

GS
04-23-2009, 07:09 AM
I liked when he showed up to play in Australia with a cut face, due to a New Year's Eve fight in Moscow. He told a tournament director, "I need a doctor, and some time on a practice court." (He also said he won that fight.)
This guy smashes racquets better than anyone. And chicks dig him. I hope he never retires.

thalivest
04-23-2009, 07:21 AM

That is where you are so very wrong. Agassi is the only recent one who has proved that. Agassi is the only one who was able to be at or close to his best for a few years at that age and beyond in the days of modern tennis. Nobody else, and it is Agassi's greatest feat of his up and down career, and as nobody else has done it shows how virtually impossible it is. Sampras and Lendl for example were still having some success at 29 but nowhere near their career peaks and only went downhill from there (which were of course much higher ones than Safin's to begin with).

BHud
04-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Who other than Agassi has really proved it? I say this because I cannot think of another grand slam champion who has recovered his level while hovering around 30. For instance I did not follow Sampras' career very closely but from what I understand his last slam was a bit of a flash in the pan.

A flash in the pan? From a player who had already won 13? Are you kidding me?

CyBorg
04-23-2009, 11:44 AM
If Safin retires he'll make a comeback. Too much money and attention.

fps
04-23-2009, 12:59 PM
A flash in the pan? From a player who had already won 13? Are you kidding me?

what I mean is that his last grand slam title came at a point when he had fallen in the rankings and was struggling to put wins together, as I understand it. In other words, his last grand slam title did not come at a point when he was dominant in the sport, or necessarily a favourite for the title. a flash in a couple of seasons where otherwise he was not the force he had been in the past.

wangs78
04-23-2009, 01:54 PM
It would be nice to see him back. He's hillarious.

If he saw your comment he might retire right now.

Leublu tennis
04-23-2009, 03:03 PM
I believe had Safin won last year's final in Moscow, things would have come very different....very I think you are right. He looked so good against Davydenko and then he loses to Kunitsyn. What a blow.