PDA

View Full Version : Biggest influence on the game tennis? (ever)

richied
04-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Agassi? Brought the game to the masses IMO. Cult heroe, modernised the baseline game, or at least took it to a new level? Changed how the game was marketed...Reshaped his life infront of our eyes. He's got my vote, has he got yours?

Shaolin
04-23-2009, 12:02 AM
For the modern game probably Lendl. Big serve & forehand tennis pre Agassi. Also took conditioning to another level.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
04-23-2009, 12:32 AM
70:s Borg
80:s Johhny Mac
90:s Andre Agassi
2000: The SwissMiss

deltox
04-23-2009, 12:47 AM
sadly its honestly billy jean king

roundiesee
04-23-2009, 02:19 AM
For me, it would have to be Borg. His strokes were then considered completely unorthodox. His loopy swing with the semi/western grip, and steady unerring baseline game was quite a sight in those days where tennis was mostly played at the net.

gj011
04-23-2009, 06:19 AM
Borg. 2HBH, SW forehand grip, ...

charliefedererer
04-23-2009, 06:31 AM
Nick Bolletieri. For better or for worse.
Jimmi Arias was brought by his dad to see Nick when he was still at the Colony. Instead of telling the kid his huge loopy forehand was ridiculous, he encouraged him. The "modern forehand" was born. His ground breaking Tennis Academy was the first major elite tennis boarding school. It changed the way junior tennis players trained. Although all were taught to be aggressive, there was no one style that was exclusively pushed in the survival of the fittest camp. But it was the killer forehand style of Courier and Agassi that best took advantage of the new technologies in frames and strings. Becker, Noah, Seles, Hingis, Rios, Pierce, Jankovic, and Navratalova are just some of the other players he influenced.

Melissa
04-23-2009, 06:36 AM
Great post richied.

Chris De Tone
04-23-2009, 06:44 AM
I see where everyone is going with this...but how about equipment technology, not necessarily a particular player(s)? I doubt that we would see the type of tennis that we have today if the equipment were not allowed to evolve. Yes, players have evolved also...but if the equipment were allowed to remain uniform we would not be seeing what we do now. It would of course be better than the past, but not like this.

Chris De Tone
04-23-2009, 06:46 AM
I apologize. I just saw the topic, not what category it was located. My mistake for posting this response.

batz
04-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Major Walter Clopton Wingfield.