PDA

View Full Version : Court's record at Wimbledon

grafselesfan
04-23-2009, 08:04 AM
The most surprising thing of all about the record of the great Margaret Court is that she only won 3 Wimbledons. She clearly underperformed at what should have been her best of the big 3 slams. Her arch rival Billie Jean King clearly trumped her here with twice the # of titles. What was the cause of her dissapointing record at Wimbledon?

rolandg
04-23-2009, 08:09 AM
She found the London rave scene too distracting.

BTURNER
04-23-2009, 08:34 AM
The most surprising thing of all about the record of the great Margaret Court is that she only won 3 Wimbledons. She clearly underperformed at what should have been her best of the big 3 slams. Her arch rival Billie Jean King clearly trumped her here with twice the # of titles. What was the cause of her dissapointing record at Wimbledon?

The unique aura of Wimbledon, standing alone on Center court, just did something to her normally steadfast nerves and her greatest weapon, her booming serve was the first stroke to give up the ghost when she got nervous. That's evidently when the double faults/ short second serves might show up per Wade or King. Notice I said alone, her doubles and mixed record is damn impressive. With many great players in history , something in the royal air constricted breath and freedom of movement on big points. Choking is as much a part of that Wimbledon tradition as white outfits and Strawberries and cream!

grafselesfan
04-23-2009, 08:42 AM
The unique aura of Wimbledon, standing alone on Center court, just did something to her normally steadfast nerves and her greatest weapon, her booming serve was the first stroke to give up the ghost when she got nervous. That's evidently when the double faults/ short second serves might show up per Wade or King. Notice I said alone, her doubles and mixed record is damn impressive. With many great players in history , something in the royal air constricted breath and freedom of movement on big points. Choking is as much a part of that Wimbledon tradition as white outfits and Strawberries and cream!

I figure it had to be something about the whole mentality of Wimbledon and how it impacted her personality and whole comfort zone. I have a hard time believing it was her game which should be suited to Wimbledon to a T. Then again her losses at Wimbledon from 1962 to 1973 were all to King, Evert, Goolagong, Bueno, and Ann Jones. So it is not like she wasnt always losing to a great player when she lost at Wimbledon. She didnt really have bad losses there. Still it is surprising there were as many losses as there was with her game on grass, despite the competition she faced.