PDA

View Full Version : Nalbandian chickens out!

babbette
04-23-2009, 10:25 AM
http://uk.reuters.com/article/tennisNews/idUKLN29351720090423

too bad I wanted a big test for Rafa.

Chris De Tone
04-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Well, don't worry...Radek will meet up with him down the road and throw all kinds of funky, all-court game at him!:)

Gorecki
04-23-2009, 10:31 AM
FIRST THING YOU SHOULD KNOW: SPOILER THREADS ARE NOT WELCOME IN THIS SECTION

SECOND:
http://forum.alsacreations.com/upload/2043-fail-camera.jpg

Gugafan_Redux
04-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Wow, you should work for Fox news. Or perhaps come back to the board in ten years when you've grown up.

Bloodshed
04-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Well, don't worry...Radek will meet up with him down the road and throw all kinds of funky, all-court game at him!:)

Well I'm not sure if Stepanek can beat Davydenko. But if he does, his crazy S&V won't do much against Nadal especially on clay where he will murder Stepanek. No I personnally think he has alot more to prove with Davydenko than Stepanek.

Djokovicfan4life
04-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Yeah, an injured Nalbandian vs. Nadal on clay. What a test of his abilities.

Andres
04-23-2009, 10:36 AM
NoooooOoOoooOOoOOOOOOOO!!!!!

tkramer15
04-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Nalbandian is just trying to make things even tougher for those of us who take part in the ATP Bracket Challenge. He's always one of the most unpredictable players to begin with. If he goes to Rome, we've got an even tougher dilemma whether to trust him or not.

Sir Andrew of Roddick
04-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Was it Rome 2007 when Nadal played Davydenko? Davydenko was pretty much dictating the whole match.

jms007
04-23-2009, 10:42 AM
FIRST THING YOU SHOULD KNOW: SPOILER THREADS ARE NOT WELCOME IN THIS SECTION

What is he spoiling, the match isn't gonna happen

Bloodshed
04-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Was it Rome 2007 when Nadal played Davydenko? Davydenko was pretty much dictating the whole match.

I could be wrong but I believe that match was in Hamburg 2007.

tkramer15
04-23-2009, 10:45 AM

Yeah it was. Davydenko came really close to beating Nadal that day. A little less than a year later, Davydenko did beat Nadal pretty handily in the final of Miami. There is no question that Davydenko has the ball striking skills and ability to take the ball on the rise to trouble Nadal. It's obviously most difficult to pull off on clay.

Nickk
04-23-2009, 10:49 AM

right you are!

Chris De Tone
04-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Bloodshed...I do agree that Davydenko is a tougher matchup on clay for Nadal based on previous matches and playing style. But, Stepanek does not just S&V. Besides, maybe the awkward style may cause some problems in a best of 3. Maybe he will try alot of drop shots. Cat and mouse stuff. Bring Nadal to net alot more rather than let him dictate from the baseline. I don't know...but what everyone else is doing is not working so why not try an off-beat approach? That's way I am a fan of Stepanek. Yeah, you are probably right but I would still like to see it. Take care.

Shaolin
04-23-2009, 10:59 AM

He is just mad because he TiVo'ed it and wanted to find out by the announcer that Nalbandian pulled out! Now thats ruined!

Bloodshed
04-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Bloodshed...I do agree that Davydenko is a tougher matchup on clay for Nadal based on previous matches and playing style. But, Stepanek does not just S&V. Besides, maybe the awkward style may cause some problems in a best of 3. Maybe he will try alot of drop shots. Cat and mouse stuff. Bring Nadal to net alot more rather than let him dictate from the baseline. I don't know...but what everyone else is doing is not working so why not try an off-beat approach? That's way I am a fan of Stepanek. Yeah, you are probably right but I would still like to see it. Take care.

Either way, whoever Nadal faces, I hope it will be a great match. Those tuna bagel/breadstick match for Nadal on clay is getting boring and predictable. I still want him to win but I want to see tighter matches.

maximo
04-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Nalbandian perhaps could of pushed Rafa, ow well.

shadows
04-23-2009, 11:23 AM
He is just mad because he TiVo'ed it and wanted to find out by the announcer that Nalbandian pulled out! Now thats ruined!

it's painfully clear to anyone actually following the tournament that the thread spoils the results for 2 matches played a few hours ago.

Hideous thread title as well :/

theduh
04-23-2009, 11:37 AM
No respect for Nalby, we all know that this would have been a big test for Nadal but c'mon he's injured, adding insult to injury is just pathetic.

flyer
04-23-2009, 12:02 PM
i dont think anyone is doubting that he is injured, people are just questioning just how injured he is...he was certainly well enough to beat a tough opponent in strait sets, considering that i do not thnik he would have pulled out against anyone not named nadal

rubberduckies
04-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Very disappointing for Nadal fans. I was looking forward to seeing Nadal demolish Nalbandian.

veroniquem
04-23-2009, 12:28 PM
http://uk.reuters.com/article/tennisNews/idUKLN29351720090423

too bad I wanted a big test for Rafa.
Not me! I want Rafa fresh for Rome. The timing for this lucky break is perfect! I would have enjoyed watching the match but I guess Nalby doesn't want to lose his edge in the head to head!

veroniquem
04-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Radek doesn't have a prayer against Rafa, I doubt it will be him in the semi though, I suspect it will be Davy.

veroniquem
04-23-2009, 12:38 PM
I could be wrong but I believe that match was in Hamburg 2007.
The match against Davy was in Rome semis 2007, 3 torturous, cliffhanger sets with 2 tie-breaks. It was all the more unexpected as Rafa had beaten Davy in 2 easy sets the same year in Monte-Carlo.

veroniquem
04-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Stepanek's style works better against a player like Fed whom he has beaten twice on clay. Step has never beaten Nadal in 4 encounters on clay, hard and carpet (2 on clay). Contrary to what some people think here, serve and volley is NOT the answer against Nadal (unless you're absolutely perfect at it), Nadal is too good at passing.

edberg505
04-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Stepanek's style works better against a player like Fed whom he has beaten twice on clay. Step has never beaten Nadal in 4 encounters on clay, hard and carpet (2 on clay). Contrary to what some people think here, serve and volley is NOT the answer against Nadal (unless you're absolutely perfect at it), Nadal is too good at passing.

Stepank is not really a true serve and volleyer. He's more of an all court player who picks a very appropriate time to come in to the net. People like, Mahut, Guccione, Dent, and Karlovic are more like true serve and volleyers.

P_Agony
04-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Stepank is not really a true serve and volleyer. He's more of an all court player who picks a very appropriate time to come in to the net. People like, Mahut, Guccione, Dent, and Karlovic are more like true serve and volleyers.

Karlovic was a point or so away from beating Nadal last year at Queens. Nadal just couldn't break his serve.

The-Champ
04-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Karlovic was a point or so away from beating Nadal last year at Queens. Nadal just couldn't break his serve.

So?, Who won? They played on carpet once as well.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/players/headtohead/?player1=nadal&player2=karlovic

It's tough to break Karlovic serve, It's bigger than anyone's, past or present. Agassi couldn't break his serve.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/players/headtohead/default.asp?player1=karlovic&player2=agassi

veroniquem
04-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Whatever. He does serve and volley more than most people on tour right now and comes to the net very often on clay which is very rare for players to do nowadays.

edberg505
04-23-2009, 02:19 PM
So?, Who won? They played on carpet once as well.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/players/headtohead/?player1=nadal&player2=karlovic

It's tough to break Karlovic serve, It's bigger than anyone's, past or present. Agassi couldn't break his serve.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/players/headtohead/default.asp?player1=karlovic&player2=agassi

Unless your name is Andy Murray. That freakin guy is a returning machine!

veroniquem
04-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Karlovic couldn't beat Nadal on carpet when Nadal was 17!!! And he couldn't win 2 tie-breaks out of 3 on the fast Queen's grass. Sorry but you don't have an argument here! Come back when Karlovic wins 1 match vs Nadal...

The-Champ
04-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Unless your name is Andy Murray. That freakin guy is a returning machine!

Murray is one hell of a returner. Definitely better than Agassi, imo. In karlovic' last match against Murray, he only manage to hit 6 aces. That must be the lowest he's had in a match.

random guy
04-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Idiotic title. Same people wonder when someone start trash talking Rafa. I don't know how serious Nalby injury is but for sure he respect Rafa enough to know that he has to be injury free to have a chance to beat him in clay. And Rome is next week so it doesn't make sense to aggravate his injury and having to pull out of a Master. Maybe Rafa could learn a thing or two about scheduling and not play matches/tournaments he's not supposed to (like Rotterdam) and not end "exhausted" every year.

Edit: bummer, he withdraw from Rome also :(

ReturnWinner
04-23-2009, 02:54 PM
then let's say ****** got scared of Nalbandian and skipped The final of Davis cup avoiding Nalbandian on a very fast indoor court with a loudy crowd.