PDA

View Full Version : Talented one handed backhand players who retired too early due to injuries.

Golden Retriever
04-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Taylor Dent, Pat Rafter, Johanson Jochiam, Paradorn and to a certain degree Guga.

Some people just can't take the wear and tear of playing and training with one arm 8 hours a day for years.

Dream_On
04-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Taylor dent, Pim pim havnt retired yet.

BreakPoint
04-23-2009, 01:30 PM
OMG! Golden Retriever starts a thread slamming one-handed backhands!

I am shocked! SHOCKED I tell you!

What happened? Did you lose again last night to another 1HBH player? :( :oops:

coloskier
04-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Taylor Dent, Pat Rafter, Johanson Jochiam, Paradorn and to a certain degree Guga.

Some people just can't take the wear and tear of playing and training with one arm 8 hours a day for years.

Let's see, that is 5 players in 12 years, with two of them coming back and presently playing.......The list of 2 handers who retired early is a lot larger. It isn't hitting one handers that causes injuries, it is the running to stretch extra because of the shortened hitting area with 2 hands that causes more injuries.

Andres
04-23-2009, 01:48 PM

Taylor Dent: Huge server, back problems
Pat Rafter: Huge kickserve, back problems
Joachim Johansson: Huge server, shoulder problems

You see the pattern here?

P_Agony
04-23-2009, 02:02 PM

So what does that make the people who can (Fed, Stan, Gasquet, Robredo, etc.)?

Golden Retriever
04-23-2009, 02:03 PM
How about Andy Roddick? And other 2handers with huge serves?

Golden Retriever
04-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Let's see, that is 5 players in 12 years, with two of them coming back and presently playing.......The list of 2 handers who retired early is a lot larger. It isn't hitting one handers that causes injuries, it is the running to stretch extra because of the shortened hitting area with 2 hands that causes more injuries.

I was talking about talented players not just any players who retired.

Golden Retriever
04-23-2009, 02:06 PM
OMG! Golden Retriever starts a thread slamming one-handed backhands!

I am shocked! SHOCKED I tell you!

What happened? Did you lose again last night to another 1HBH player? :( :oops:

I am not dissing the one-handed backhand, didn't I use the word talented to describe them?

BreakPoint
04-23-2009, 03:05 PM
I am not dissing the one-handed backhand, didn't I use the word talented to describe them?
Yet you imply that their 1HBH was what caused them to have to retire early due to injury.

Yes, you're right, it does take talent to hit a 1HBH. Maybe that's why you complain you can't do it?

Golden Retriever
04-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Yet you imply that their 1HBH was what caused them to have to retire early due to injury.

Yes, you're right, it does take talent to hit a 1HBH. Maybe that's why you complain you can't do it?

Talented or not, they are proned to injuries. Being talented doesn't mean you are immune from injuries caused by the 1HBH.

BreakPoint
04-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Talented or not, they are proned to injuries. Being talented doesn't mean you are immune from injuries caused by the 1HBH.
Wait, Hewitt had hip injuries, Norman retired early due to hip injuries, Agassi had back problems, Nadal has chronic knee and foot problems, Davydenko was out for a while with a foot injury, Nalbandian just withdrew from Barcelona with a hip injury, Djokovic is always quitting due to some unknown problems, Monfils was out with an injury for a while, Tsonga is always getting injured, Kiefer was out with an injury for a long time, etc. Should I go on?

So is their 2HBH's the cause for all of their injuries? :-? :oops:

Golden Retriever
04-23-2009, 08:21 PM
None of their injuries occurs on the arm or shoulder.

BreakPoint
04-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah, but they all get foot or knee or hip injuries because of all the extra running they have to do with their 2HBH's.

And shoulder injuries usually come from serving. Roddick has had shoulder injuries. Rafter had shoulder injuries due to his exaggerated kick serve. Johansson due to his MASSIVE serve.

2HBH players also get tons of off-hand wrist injuries, e.g., Cjlisters, Ginepri, Williams, etc.

RCizzle65
04-23-2009, 08:34 PM
One handers get more injuries? Are you serious? BreakPoint posted a list of players showing how dumb your logic is, a list of two handers with injuries.

Golden Retriever
04-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Guga and Taylor Dent had serious hip injuries. Gasquet is getting a serious case of tennis elbow.

Weekend warriors like you would never know what it is like to hit everything at 100% with only one hand 8 hrs a day for years.

Golden Retriever
04-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Please show me medical prove that using two hands leads to more injuries than using one hand.

EtePras
04-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Isn't it common sense by now that using crap technique is a recipe for injury? Federer hasn't gotten injured yet because he doesn't have a backhand and just slices it all day.

Golden Retriever
04-23-2009, 09:05 PM
I don't think you can even get to 4.5 with crappy technique.

Andres
04-23-2009, 09:06 PM
What a coincidence!! All of those injured players are ALSO big servers...

Uhmmm, I wonder if it's either the serve or the one handed backhand... Judges?

NotSoSuper
04-23-2009, 09:07 PM
1 handers vs. 2 handers have nothing to do with injuries.. :-?

RCizzle65
04-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Please show me medical prove that using two hands leads to more injuries than using one hand.

Where's the medical proof that using a one hand leads to more injuries than a two hand?

BreakPoint
04-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Weekend warriors like you would never know what it is like to hit everything at 100% with only one hand 8 hrs a day for years.
Weekend warriors like you would never know what it is like to hit everything at 100% with two hands 8 hrs a day for years.

BreakPoint
04-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Lots of two-handed pros get left (off) hand wrist injuries, e.g., Agassi, Connors, Cljsters, Williams, Roddick, etc.

How many one-handed pros get left (off) hand wrist injuries? :oops:

yellowoctopus
04-23-2009, 09:28 PM

Paradon: Married Miss Universe, problems??

Gorecki
04-24-2009, 12:55 AM

Rafter retired at 30.. where in the world that is early retirement for a pro tennis player?

carlos djackal
04-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Paradon: Married Miss Universe, problems??

LOL....nice one, kidding aside I switch to a two handed backhand due to shoulder problems....and now that I made the switch the shoulder is better, although I can still feel the pain occasionally, overall, the switch help, maybe being a one handed or two handed have its pros and cons but I think a two handed is much better for the shoulder for it eases the load on it....

BreakPoint
04-24-2009, 01:31 AM
LOL....nice one, kidding aside I switch to a two handed backhand due to shoulder problems....and now that I made the switch the shoulder is better, although I can still feel the pain occasionally, overall, the switch help, maybe being a one handed or two handed have its pros and cons but I think a two handed is much better for the shoulder for it eases the load on it....
The cause of your shoulder injury is more likely your serve. But now that it's already injured, of course using two arms/hands will take some of the load off of the injured shoulder.

devila
04-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Agassi had wrist and hip injuries because he was a very hard-hitting, precision-dependent, physical type. He didn't like volleying to end points; he wasn't a consistent net rusher either.

Roddick's totally different and enjoyed looking stupid. Maybe because he'd rather look stupid than not have his role models lose self esteem--some of his family and friends aren't bright. Bad physical athlete, no desire to win, just hated to be careful on court and loved unhealthy eating habits, which caused him to lose his brain cells and fitness. The '03 Australian quarterfinal wrist injury came from his ignorance and lack of serious attitude. He was totally exhausted in 4 hours 59 minutes. He dove on the ground, ripped his wrist tendon, and gave Schuettler and Agassi an easy cakewalk, after the umpire arrogantly stole the 3rd set with a bad call and lenghthened the match.

sureshs
04-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Sharapova has a 1 handed BH and that is the cause of her shoulder problems.

crazylevity
04-25-2009, 09:13 AM

Kuerten-Hip injury. None of the one handers injuries occur on the arm either. There is more shoulder rotation in the serve than the one handed backhand. Your premise is a fallacy.

petetheileet
05-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Rafters serve was the cause of him retiring early