PDA

View Full Version : Andy Roddick - 2009 Wimbledon Champion?

tvp900
04-23-2009, 07:16 PM
As hard as it is to believe, Roddick's coach Larry Stefanki believes he can take the title at Queen's Club AND Wimbledon. As far as I'm concerned, and I'm a HUGE Roddick fan, it's going to be a stacked draw this year

1. Rafa Nadal
2. Roger Federer
3. Novak Djokovic
4. Andy Murray
And all of them have proved themselves champions. I think if his game continues to improve, he might be able to pull off the upset of the century and take the title. (Of course this is only the ranting of a Roddick fan) Here's the article

http://www.andyroddick.com/match-updates/2009/04/23/andy-commits-to-queens/

bladepdb
04-23-2009, 07:20 PM
I don't think it's possible. I love Roddick too and I root for him except when he's against Nadal, but there's a lot missing from his game.

Firstly, his approaches are TERRIBLE. He makes himself look ******** at the net with the weak approaches he hits.

Second, his serve is losing its juice. Even Taylor Dent was serving harder against Federer in Miami.

Last, his forehand is nothing like it used to be. It used to be a tremendous weapon AND consistent. Now, it's ONLY consistent.

That, for me, sums up why he can never win a slam again, very much to my dismay!

TennisLover17
04-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Of course Stefanki's got to believe Roddick can do it. What kindof coach doesn't believe that his player can win a title at any given moment. I mean, I think he's possible of upsetting some top players, but I'm saying semi's tops for Roddick this year.

deltox
04-23-2009, 07:22 PM
if he is going to win one this year is will prob be uso. but honestly i see him making the semis at Wimby this year. i think he can actually pull one upset and i hope for more but realistically i see only the one.

deltox
04-23-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't think it's possible. I love Roddick too and I root for him except when he's against Nadal, but there's a lot missing from his game.

Firstly, his approaches are TERRIBLE. He makes himself look ******** at the net with the weak approaches he hits.

Second, his serve is losing its juice. Even Taylor Dent was serving harder against Federer in Miami.

Last, his forehand is nothing like it used to be. It used to be a tremendous weapon AND consistent. Now, it's ONLY consistent.

That, for me, sums up why he can never win a slam again, very much to my dismay!

there is NOTHING wrong with his serves, he is mixing up his first serves to keep his opponents off blanace and it looks great to me.

tvp900
04-23-2009, 07:24 PM

I have to disagree. His approaches only look like a five-year-olds when he plays Federer. Most of the time, they are quite effective. As far as his serve is concerned, he may be losing pace, but he isn't losing placement. He still gets his aces. His forehand is still a little loopy, but hes trying. I give him credit for that.

bladepdb
04-23-2009, 07:24 PM
there is NOTHING wrong with his serves, he is mixing up his first serves to keep his opponents off blanace and it looks great to me.

His serve is his biggest weapon right now, always has been. It's not doing what it used to do.

GameSampras
04-23-2009, 07:26 PM
LOL...

Another year goes by and people still actually believe Roddick has a snowballs chance in hell of ever winning his 2nd slam. :)

When will people learn.. Roddick is just not that good of a player. Never was. And his game has more holes than a pin cushion that can be exposed at will by any great player.

Roddick's been around what? 10 years or so? And he has one slam to show for it.

deltox
04-23-2009, 07:26 PM
His serve is his biggest weapon right now, always has been. It's not doing what it used to do.

no your right, instead of 140+ on every serve now hes using an old pitchers move in baseball.. called a change up. one flat and hard, 2 flat and hard, then suddenly 20 mph slower and kicking high. its quite the effective weapon in tennis.

vndesu
04-23-2009, 07:30 PM
i think if he played like he did against agassi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbSRRDQF7YQ

and work the basline more he migh tbe able, but its still hard with fed and nadal up there

veroniquem
04-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Of course Stefanki's got to believe Roddick can do it. What kindof coach doesn't believe that his player can win a title at any given moment. I mean, I think he's possible of upsetting some top players, but I'm saying semi's tops for Roddick this year.
I agree, a coach has to believe in it no matter what. Other people however can have a more realistic approach to things.

bladepdb
04-23-2009, 07:35 PM
no your right, instead of 140+ on every serve now hes using an old pitchers move in baseball.. called a change up. one flat and hard, 2 flat and hard, then suddenly 20 mph slower and kicking high. its quite the effective weapon in tennis.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/media/rankings/matchfacts.pdf

You're right, it is working. He does currently have the highest aces and more importantly has one of the better 1st srv % & 1st srv pts won. In fact, he has some of the best service stats of the top 10.

The number that stands out, then, is:
- He has among the lowest % of Return Games won.

This is probably the best trend to see why he has not produced great results this year in singles (other than AO SF). If he cannot break his opponent, he cannot win. Simple as that. So far his trend is...he cannot break his opponent. Therefore, he cannot win a major title, particularly a Slam title, where players like Nadal and Fed take their game up a notch.

gj011
04-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Ok we don't need to watch tennis this year any more. It is all clear and explained to us by nice people on this board. We know that remaining 2009 GS champions will be:

FO Hewitt
Wimbledon Roddick
USO Safin

See you next year.

icedevil0289
04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Ok we don't need to watch tennis this year any more. It is all clear and explained to us by nice people on this board. We know that remaining 2009 GS champions will be:

FO Hewitt
Wimbledon Roddick
USO Safin

See you next year.

Lol, what better way to prove that fed's rivals during the 04-06 era still have it in them.

veroniquem
04-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Lol, what better way to prove that fed's rivals during the 04-06 era still have it in them.
Yes it would but everybody knows it won't happen (at least I hope people are aware of that :???:)

bladepdb
04-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Yes it would but everybody knows it won't happen (at least I hope people are aware of that :???:)

Never can tell with Safin. Remember his surge to SF last year at Wimby? :)

icedevil0289
04-23-2009, 07:44 PM

Unless you have this crystal ball that allows you too see into the future, then no, I don't think you or anyone else KNOWS what will and will not happen. That being said there is a really good chance hewitt, safin, and roddick, will not win the remaining 3 slams. Ofcourse I think it would be kind of cool and funny if all three did. I would be content with safin winning one slam before he left though.

grafselesfan
04-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Never can tell with Safin. Remember his surge to SF last year at Wimby? :)

The best tennis he will ever play again and it still wasnt even close to what would have beaten Federer or Nadal on grass, the only two really good grass courters at this time last year. This year with Djokovic and Murray probably improved on grass, and Roddick coming back into form, even more unlikely.

veroniquem
04-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Unless you have this crystal ball that allows you too see into the future, then no, I don't think you or anyone else KNOWS what will and will not happen. That being said there is a really good chance hewitt, safin, and roddick, will not win the remaining 3 slams. Ofcourse I think it would be kind of cool and funny if all three did. I would be content with safin winning one slam before he left though.
I don't need a crystal ball to see that Hewitt and Safin are in no state to win a slam, lol.

vtmike
04-23-2009, 07:48 PM

Since he has beaten Djokovic you think Djokovic will also not win?

bladepdb
04-23-2009, 07:49 PM
i think if he played like he did against agassi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbSRRDQF7YQ

and work the basline more he migh tbe able, but its still hard with fed and nadal up there

One of my favorite vids of Agassi.

The fact that Roddick lost to Agassi during his prime (03-05 for Roddick) while Agassi was on his way to retirement proves exactly why Roddick is not cut out for another slam :D

gj011
04-23-2009, 07:51 PM

Since Djokovic beat Federer you think Federer will also not win?

veroniquem
04-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Are you talking about Wimbledon and Safin? Or are you talking about Roddick? I don't know about Djoko, but he sure can't beat Nadal, Murray and Federer as well, so really it doesn't look so good for the title...

vtmike
04-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Since Djokovic beat Federer you think Federer will also not win?

Here's my faithful stalker troll again :roll:

According to everyone on these boards Federer will retire before RG '09

That was supposed to be a sarcastic statement and I was actually supporting Djokovic...why do you have to take every statement with Djokovic in it to heart? Are you related to him?

icedevil0289
I don't need a crystal ball to see that Hewitt and Safin are in no state to win a slam, lol.

There are in no state to win a slam now, but that doesn't mean they won't be in the future. I definitely agree that the chances are slim to none, but I think safin is still capable of winning one. I like how your so confident though.

imalil2gangsta4u
No way unless he becomes more aggressive. Nadal/Fed would move Roddick around the court like a chicken with its head cut off.

veroniquem
04-23-2009, 07:59 PM
There are in no state to win a slam now, but that doesn't mean they won't be in the future. I definitely agree that the chances are slim to none, but I think safin is still capable of winning one. I like how your so confident though.
Safin is 29, he looks physically heavy and his level of play is slow and erratic, he's been out of it for more than 5 years. He's struggling to win 2 matches in a row. How can you think he's gonna make a comeback at this stage? I think it's more likely you'll be struck by lightning this summer!

Qubax
04-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Andy's serve may not have quite the juice it use to....but he's more consistent with it now and with more variety then he has ever had.

I think that in a way that is sort of akin to Roger, Andy has not improved over the preceding 3 or 4 years and everyone else(IE, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray) etc HAVE improved and passed him.

That said, maybe with Stefanki Andy CAN make some inrodes and catch up...and looking at his results from this year, you'd have to say there is a chance...

icedevil0289
04-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Safin is 29, he looks physically heavy and his level of play is slow and erratic, he's been out of it for more than 5 years. How can you think he's gonna make a comeback at this stage? I think it's more likely you'll be struck by lightning this summer!

lol. Like I said chances are slim, but you never know.

veroniquem
04-23-2009, 08:02 PM
lol. Like I said chances are slim, but you never know.
I admire your optimism :)

VivalaVida
04-23-2009, 08:03 PM

FO Hewitt
Wimbledon Roddick
USO Safin

See you next year.
ROFL!! try to make some room for taylor dent. :lol:

Fedace
04-23-2009, 08:03 PM
You got the Wrong Andy...

grafselesfan
04-23-2009, 08:06 PM
There is more chance of Navratilova coming out of retirement in her 50s and winning the singles title at Wimbledon than Hewitt or Safin ever winning a slam title again. Roddick has an outside shot to win a slam title again, but it would take a huge amount of luck to happen.

deltox
04-23-2009, 08:06 PM
ROFL!! try to make some room for taylor dent. :lol:

taylor is very inconsistant still.. he went out first round this week.

Roddick has 2 chances each year to do his best in slams, Wim and USO.. i admit i dont see him winning a slam again, but if i gave a % based guesstimate id say he has about a 7% chance to win Wimb and a 10% chance to win USO.. both are long odds.

NamRanger
04-23-2009, 08:07 PM
He only has a chance if he goes after his forehand. Otherwise he's gonna get torched.

icedevil0289
04-23-2009, 08:07 PM
I admire your optimism :)

That's a first. Anyways, people are doubting if fed will ever win another slam, so the idea of safin, hewitt, or roddick winning slams are absurd, but to say that there is a 100% chance they won't be is another thing.

VivalaVida
04-23-2009, 08:08 PM
taylor is very inconsistant still.. he went out first round this week.

Roddick has 2 chances each year to do his best in slams, Wim and USO.. i admit i dont see him winning a slam again, but if i gave a % based guesstimate id say he has about a 7% chance to win Wimb and a 10% chance to win USO.. both are long odds.
Andy has a much better shot at winning the US open than any other major IMO.

CANADIAN763
04-23-2009, 08:34 PM
You got the Wrong Andy...

That is for sure. I like A rod but he cann't keep up with the top three (maybe four if djokovic can keep it up)

veroniquem
04-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Fed has been in slam finals for years. He's at a completely different level than Safin and Hewitt. You really can't compare them at all. (answer to icedevil's post)

vtmike
04-23-2009, 08:48 PM
That's a first. Anyways, people are doubting if fed will ever win another slam, so the idea of safin, hewitt, or roddick winning slams are absurd, but to say that there is a 100% chance they won't be is another thing.

I agree...you never know what will happen in tennis...cannot rule out anyone to make a comeback...unlikely but not impossible...in Nadal's words, "Nothing is impossible, no?" ;)

deltox
04-23-2009, 10:28 PM
No way unless he becomes more aggressive. Nadal/Fed would move Roddick around the court like a chicken with its head cut off.

nadal vs roddick on grass is actually ALOT closer than you might think. in 08 with roddick not in todays top shape, he pushed a near peak nadal to the max in a 7-5 6-4 duel at queens club.

Tournament London / Queen's Club
Round S
Time 87 minutes
Winner Nadal

Sevice Statistics Nadal Roddick
Aces 7 14
Double Faults 0 3
1st Serve Percentage 73% (45/61) 64% (46/71)
1st Serve Points Won 77% (35/45) 73% (34/46)
2nd Serve Points Won 75% (12/16) 52% (13/25)
Break Points Saved 100% (4/4) 71% (5/7)
Service Games Played 11 11
Statistics on Return
1st Return Points Won 26% (12/46) 22% (10/45)
2nd Return Points Won 48% (12/25) 25% (4/16)
Break Points Won 28% (2/7) 0% (0/4)
Return Games Played 11 11
Statistics on Points
Total Service Points Won 77% (47/61) 66% (47/71)
Total Return Points Won 33% (24/71) 22% (14/61)
Total Points Won 53% (71/132) 46% (61/132)

not exactly the blowout you spoke of.

roddick had a bad day with first serves in that match also. no excuses of course, but it was very close as even the stats show, nadal had to save quite a few break points.

Bloodshed
04-23-2009, 10:36 PM
LOL...

Another year goes by and people still actually believe Roddick has a snowballs chance in hell of ever winning his 2nd slam. :)

When will people learn.. Roddick is just not that good of a player. Never was. And his game has more holes than a pin cushion that can be exposed at will by any great player.

I could not agree more. First of all his ONLY Slam that he ever earned was a fluke (if only Nalby was not a mental midget when it got tight).

Now Roddick has a hard time to beat any of the Top 4 Players (minus Djokovic). So he's bound to meet any one of them if he ever thinks he can go deep.

The chances for Roddick to win another Slam are as good as someone who wins the lottery on any surface.

deltox
04-23-2009, 10:39 PM
I could not agree more. First of all his ONLY Slam that he ever earned was a fluke (if only Nalby was not a mental midget when it got tight).

Now Roddick has a hard time to beat any of the Top 4 Players (minus Djokovic). So he's bound to meet any one of them if he ever thinks he can go deep.

The chances for Roddick to win another Slam are as good as someone who wins the lottery on any surface.

another new guy who knows sooo much. watch tennis, then post, dont be a hater.

federer is the one who keeps taking roddick out.. murray also has a great record against him.. nadal and djokovic do NOT have a dominating record on him.. better look up some facts before spouting trash.

roddick v nadal at IW this year was fairly close with both breaking the other several times.

obviously nadal would be favored over him in any event, but on hardcourts and grass andy has a chance whether you wanna acknowledge it or not.

Bloodshed
04-23-2009, 10:47 PM
another new guy who knows sooo much. watch tennis, then post, dont be a hater.

federer is the one who keeps taking roddick out.. murray also has a great record against him.. nadal and djokovic do NOT have a dominating record on him.. better look up some facts before spouting trash.

roddick v nadal at IW this year was fairly close with both breaking the other several times.

obviously nadal would be favored over him in any event, but on hardcourts and grass andy has a chance whether you wanna acknowledge it or not.

Don't get me wrong, Andy has a chance I agree but only if he gets a lucky draw.

He has improved I will give you that but when he looses to guys like Gasquet, Tipsarevic @ Wimbledon, you have to ponder yourself of his chances afterwards.

deltox
04-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Don't get me wrong, Andy has a chance I agree but only if he gets a lucky draw.

He has improved I will give you that but when he looses to guys like Gasquet, Tipsarevic @ Wimbledon, you have to ponder yourself of his chances afterwards.

you spewed lottery chances. when in reality its more like a 15% chance to beat nadal, 10% murray, 1% federer, and 50% djokovic on grass and even better chances on nadal at the USO.

he just always ends up in feds draws who he has some unknown mental block about.

you gotta watch what you say on these forums, people like me love to use stats to back up their claims. always have a link if you wanna make a statement or some kinda info to back up your claims. enjoy posting here but always speak truthfully ;)

Bloodshed
04-23-2009, 10:58 PM
you spewed lottery chances. when in reality its more like a 15% chance to beat nadal, 10% murray, 1% federer, and 50% djokovic on grass and even better chances on nadal at the USO.

he just always ends up in feds draws who he has some unknown mental block about.

you gotta watch what you say on these forums, people like me love to use stats to back up their claims. always have a link if you wanna make a statement or some kinda info to back up your claims. enjoy posting here but always speak truthfully ;)

Alright thanks for the tip deltox. I'll try to do some researches when I'm trying to prove a point. But it's just that every year some people still believes that Roddick can snatch another Slam when he should of done it years ago back in his prime (it just sort of happened that he never figured how to beat Federer on a regular basis).

deltox
04-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Alright thanks for the tip deltox. I'll try to do some researches when I'm trying to prove a point. But it's just that every year some people still believes that Roddick can snatch another Slam when he should of done it years ago back in his prime (it just sort of happened that he never figured how to beat Federer on a regular basis).

this year, unlike years past, roddick has actually gained a step from previous years. his fitness is insanely developed and he seems to have a new mentality. his strokes show variety this year and he is actually learning more about strategy (although not applying it well at times) after 7+ years on the tour. his chances this year are as good as 03-04 in somes opinions and i personally have NEVER seen him with his current mindset.

only agassi has ever made this late of a career push.

Nextman916
04-23-2009, 11:21 PM
All you people that say roddick's forehand is no longer a weapon and he pushes the ball need to watch this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgsMnIm4JQI Its a few games vs nadal being discussed from queens last year. You can see from just the clip that Roddick hits the ball with alot more authority than he does the rest of the year on HC/Clay. He always has, when grass season rolls around its like he senses that play will be faster and he can penetrate more with his shots. I think honestly hes got a shot, hes pretty much got at even chance against djoker and current fed even. The only people I think are slighted with better chances are Nadal and Murray but even then on grass its minimal. I wouldnt worry about him losing to a "hot" Gasquet or Kholshreiber-like player because of his current excellent form. It took Gasquet 5 sets of smoking shotmaking to beat Andy, and even then it was a very close match. Truth is andy's veteran experience really helps him, and on grass its incredibly more so. Wimbly 09, Roddick is a definite one to watch.

MajinX
04-24-2009, 12:03 AM
I say out of the top 4 roddick is the 5th favourite to win a slam, how is that low chances or bad at all??? u guys make it sound like he has no chance at all... i actually put djokovic and roddick in the same boat with winning a second slam. They both make it to about the same lvls in tourneys with djokovic better in clay and roddick better in grass.

jamesblakefan#1
04-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Roddick is done DONE done in the slams. give up hope on him now. If he wins Wimbledon, I will streak around Old Dominion University and post the pics here and on facebook. That's how sure I am that he will not win Wimbledon.

gj011
04-24-2009, 12:30 AM
I say out of the top 4 roddick is the 5th favourite to win a slam, how is that low chances or bad at all??? u guys make it sound like he has no chance at all... i actually put djokovic and roddick in the same boat with winning a second slam. They both make it to about the same lvls in tourneys with djokovic better in clay and roddick better in grass.

LOL. It is unbelievable how much is Djokovic underrated around here.

0d1n
04-24-2009, 03:07 AM
Davydenko has about the same chances of winning a slam as Roddick has.
If Nadal wouldn't exist I would say Davy has better chances of winning Roland Garros than Roddick has of winning ANY slam.
Also, I agree that Djokovic doesn't get enough credit. He will be back in the second half of the year, and he's VERY dangerous at both Roland Garros and US Open.
Less so at Wimby IMO, Federer in "cruise control mode" (not even at the top of his game) is still a much better player on grass than Djokovic is.
With regards to the US Open, I honestly believe that although Roddick's best surface is HC and his best game will be presented at the US Open, frankly, that slam has the most contenders "in the race" for it which makes it tough for the American.
It's the toughest one to predict, because any of the top 4 players can win it, and some other people have outside chances as well.
Roland Garros and Wimby are IMO much easier to predict, and "upsets" are much less likely.

illkhiboy
04-24-2009, 04:29 AM
One of my favorite vids of Agassi.

The fact that Roddick lost to Agassi during his prime (03-05 for Roddick) while Agassi was on his way to retirement proves exactly why Roddick is not cut out for another slam :D

No it proves quite the opposite. Agassi was on an incredible roll at that time. He was playing amazing tennis. Besides, Roddick has improved his backhand tons since then. His approaches are a lot better. His volleys are much much better. So is his slice. His forehand's not as lethal though. His serve is about the same. Though this year he has been mixing it up nicely on the first serve.

fantom
04-24-2009, 05:12 AM
LOL...

He's been in the top 10 for how many years now? Get a clue.

Currently, only Nadal, Murray, and maybe Djokovic don't have any real holes in their game. Roddick is right in that next pack with everybody else. Federer is somewhere between 'everybody else' and the top 3.

Yeah, Roddick has been around for a while and has 1 slam. I'd say he's been up against some pretty tough competition (Fed/Nad). He's also lost, what, 3 other GS finals? Definitely no slouch.

fps
04-24-2009, 05:21 AM
Davydenko has about the same chances of winning a slam as Roddick has.
If Nadal wouldn't exist I would say Davy has better chances of winning Roland Garros than Roddick has of winning ANY slam.

In his serve, Roddick has the serious artillery that Davy just doesn't have, which counts against him outside RG. Roddick's fitness has improved and he really is playing the best tennis he has for years. His forehand can get hot too, because he is now usually in a better position to hit it. I think Roddick will be more of a threat than Davydenko over the rest of the season in slams.

tvp900
04-24-2009, 07:35 AM
All you people that say roddick's forehand is no longer a weapon and he pushes the ball need to watch this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgsMnIm4JQI Its a few games vs nadal being discussed from queens last year. You can see from just the clip that Roddick hits the ball with alot more authority than he does the rest of the year on HC/Clay. He always has, when grass season rolls around its like he senses that play will be faster and he can penetrate more with his shots. I think honestly hes got a shot, hes pretty much got at even chance against djoker and current fed even. The only people I think are slighted with better chances are Nadal and Murray but even then on grass its minimal. I wouldnt worry about him losing to a "hot" Gasquet or Kholshreiber-like player because of his current excellent form. It took Gasquet 5 sets of smoking shotmaking to beat Andy, and even then it was a very close match. Truth is andy's veteran experience really helps him, and on grass its incredibly more so. Wimbly 09, Roddick is a definite one to watch.

First of all, thanks for the link, I haven't seen that match since it was live. And you're right. He really does step it up on grass. That particular match was during Roddick's worst year in a while and Nadal's best year to date. And even then it was still 7-5, 6-4. If he gets Djokovic's quarter this year, expect to see him in the semis with Nadal, Murray and Fed. If he gets Nadal's half, I figure maybe a 40% chance he'll get through to the final. And it's only as low as it is because Nadal is defending champ.

gj011
04-24-2009, 07:54 AM
Duplicate post. Sorry.

gj011
04-24-2009, 07:56 AM
First of all, thanks for the link, I haven't seen that match since it was live. And you're right. He really does step it up on grass. That particular match was during Roddick's worst year in a while and Nadal's best year to date. And even then it was still 7-5, 6-4. If he gets Djokovic's quarter this year, expect to see him in the semis with Nadal, Murray and Fed. If he gets Nadal's half, I figure maybe a 40% chance he'll get through to the final. And it's only as low as it is because Nadal is defending champ.

He really "stepped up" last two years when he was schooled by Gasquet and Tipsarevic.

Roddick has no chance to win any GS ever again.

tvp900
04-24-2009, 08:02 AM
He really "stepped up" last two years when he was schooled by Gasquet and Tipsarevic.

Think about it first friend. Gasquet was on the streak of his life. He was crushing winners off both the backhand and the forehand. He realized he was the underdog and used that to fuel his game. And in case you didn't notice, it went to five sets.

Tipsarevic was playing a mentally weakened and recovering-from-injury Roddick and realized this. Tipsarevic himself said that Roddick looked off and slightly tired throughout the match.

I don't mind criticism, but check your facts first

Lionheart392
04-24-2009, 08:02 AM
I don't think Roddick will win a slam again, at Wimbledon or elsewhere. I think Federer's shown that he can beat Roddick even when not at his best, and I don't see Roddick beating Nadal, Djokovic or Murray there either if they play well. He hasn't reached the SF at Wimbledon since 2005 and I don't think he's improved sufficiently for that to change this year.

P_Agony
04-24-2009, 08:07 AM

She thinks it was a "freak victory". How else could a player from Federer's ultra weak era beat someone from Nadal's ultra strong era?

vtmike
04-24-2009, 08:20 AM
She thinks it was a "freak victory". How else could a player from Federer's ultra weak era beat someone from Nadal's ultra strong era?

Moral of the story...

Anyone Nadal beats is the cream of the crop and Nadal comes out as the mentally toughest guy after beating him &

Anyone Federer beats lays down for Fed to take the victory, is a crappy player & Federer is mentally the weakest player in the history of tennis

In other words Nadal is the best player in the history of the universe! Hell they should put a huge banner on moon saying Nadal is the GOAT so that all the aliens can see it too!

JayChu
04-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Think about it first friend. Gasquet was on the streak of his life. He was crushing winners off both the backhand and the forehand. He realized he was the underdog and used that to fuel his game. And in case you didn't notice, it went to five sets.

Tipsarevic was playing a mentally weakened and recovering-from-injury Roddick and realized this. Tipsarevic himself said that Roddick looked off and slightly tired throughout the match.

I don't mind criticism, but check your facts first

I agree with tvp here. Roddick was coming off a serious shoulder injury that occurred in the Rome Masters SF match. Obviously, a big injury to Roddick on the shoulder is going to be big since his big weapon is his serve. I think he came back way to early by playing at the Queen's tournament. Even though he did reach the semis there against Nadal, he did not play his best tennis.

This year, though, barring that he is injured free, he COULD make a decent chance. But I do have to agree with everyone else, he needs a ton of luck to win Wimbledon this year.

gj011
04-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Moral of the story...

Anyone Nadal beats is the cream of the crop and Nadal comes out as the mentally toughest guy after beating him &

Anyone Federer beats lays down for Fed to take the victory, is a crappy player & Federer is mentally the weakest player in the history of tennis

In other words Nadal is the best player in the history of the universe! Hell they should put a huge banner on moon saying Nadal is the GOAT so that all the aliens can see it too!

You are getting quite boring and annoying posting junk like this and hijacking every thread. This thread is not about Nadal and Federer.

vtmike
04-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Here is my faithful stalker troll AGAIN!! :roll: ^^^

FO Hewitt
Wimbledon Roddick
USO Safin

See you next year.

You are ALREADY very boring and annoying posting junk like this and hijacking every thread. This thread is not about Hewitt and Safin!!

tintin
04-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Roddick might just win Queens but as far as winning Wimbledon?Give me a break!:roll:
I don't care how much weight Roddick loses and how much he's trying to serve and volley;it ain't gonna happen unless they others get Bird Flu!:roll: :lol:

Gasquet brought Roddick to the net and passed him and Gasquet ain't either Federer the 5x Wimbledon champion and last year's finalist;nor his he Nadal,nor Murray as far as returners

he'll get his serves blocked back and he'll get passed

watch out for Gasquet;Tsonga and Monfils who all have great results on grass to prove since the juniors.If these guys are all healthy . . .:twisted:

JayChu
04-24-2009, 10:11 AM
watch out for Gasquet?
not even tintin. Gasquet can win a max. 3 matches and then he is done. Gasquet's problem is that he doesn't have the mentality to win the big matches. He does have the skills, it is just the mentality that is the problem for him. But I don't think that it is just him. I believe that a lot of the French players seem to lack the mentality game as well. Look at Mauresmo. It took her a very long time before she won her first of two slams.

Gugafan_Redux
04-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Roddick FTW.

veroniquem
04-24-2009, 10:47 AM
What I meant by "freak" was unexpected, almost abnormal. Djoko had been in the Queen's final and Safin had never done well on grass. I didn't mean by that it didn't count. But that 1 victory doesn't make Safin a better player than Djokovic.

NamRanger
04-24-2009, 10:50 AM
What I meant by "freak" was unexpected, almost abnormal. Djoko had been in the Queen's final and Safin had never done well on grass. I didn't mean by that it didn't count. But that 1 victory doesn't make Safin a better player than Djokovic.

Safin still leads in GS and Masters count, and it doesn't look like Djokovic is going to win anything big anytime soon with Murray, Nadal, Federer, and plenty of other players who are capable of beating him (Del Potro, Verdasco, etc.)

Also, it was expected if you knew how they matched up against each other. Safin is just a bigger and more powerful version of Djokovic. He's also slightly better at the net than Djokovic also.

yellowoctopus
04-24-2009, 10:54 AM
I believe Murray will be the biggest contender to Nadal and Federer at Wimbledon this year.

NamRanger
04-24-2009, 10:55 AM

Djokovic may be young, but at the rate he is going it doesn't look like he's gonna win another slam if he doesn't fix his fitness and mental departments.

Cesc Fabregas
Safin still leads in GS and Masters count, and it doesn't look like Djokovic is going to win anything big anytime soon with Murray, Nadal, Federer, and plenty of other players who are capable of beating him (Del Potro, Verdasco, etc.)

Also, it was expected if you knew how they matched up against each other. Safin is just a bigger and more powerful version of Djokovic. He's also slightly better at the net than Djokovic also.

That maybe true but Djokovic moves and defends better than Safin ever did and that is a big part of todays game heck thats 95% of Murray's game.

batz
Roddick has improved by quite a bit this season - you've got to give the guy a lot of credit for that. Can he win Wimbledon? Bit of a stretch but I wouldn't be that upset if he did - I like Roddick.

NamRanger
04-24-2009, 10:56 AM
That maybe true but Djokovic moves and defends better than Safin ever did and that is a big part of todays game heck thats 95% of Murray's game.

There's no need to move and defend when Safin is capable of hitting 80 mph groundstrokes during a ralley, on the rise, and consistently. However, he does that very rarely :)

veroniquem
04-24-2009, 10:57 AM

I've already said in another thread that Safin had the talent but not the consistency.
Look, at 29, Safin has 15 titles, 2 slams, 5 masters and 0 master cup.
At 21, Novak has 12 titles, 1 slam, 4 masters and 1 master cup.
I will certainly take the bet that at the end of his career Novak will have overtaken Safin's records by far.
Novak is also better on ALL surfaces. With Safin it was pretty much hard court and that's it. Novak is the youngest player to have made the semis of all 4 slams and he won Rome on clay and played some pretty competitive matches on every surface.

Cesc Fabregas
04-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Roddick is certainly 5th favourite for Wimbledon maybe 4th or 3rd due to Djokovic and partically Murray not being that great on grass.

NamRanger
04-24-2009, 10:59 AM
I've already said in another thread that Safin had the talent but not the consistency.
Look, at 29, Safin has 15 titles, 2 slams, 5 masters and 0 master cup.
At 21, Novak has 12 titles, 1 slam, 4 masters and 1 master cup.
I will certainly take the bet that at the end of his career Novak will have overtaken Safin's records by far.

Novak will certainly not pass Safin in the slam count if he doesn't get more fit and fixes his mentality when he's losing. He may surpass him in the Masters department, but even that is a bit of a stretch considering how many good players are popping up all over the place, and how Novak is currently playing very inconsistently the whole season.

NamRanger
04-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Roddick is certainly 5th favourite for Wimbledon maybe 4th or 3rd due to Djokovic and partically Murray not being that great on grass.

I'd put him as 5th, and maybe 4th if Djokovic doesn't have a good showing at Queens.

icedevil0289
04-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Novak will certainly not pass Safin in the slam count if he doesn't get more fit and fixes his mentality when he's losing. He may surpass him in the Masters department, but even that is a bit of a stretch considering how many good players are popping up all over the place, and how Novak is currently playing very inconsistently the whole season.

I think your underestimating novak a bit.

veroniquem
04-24-2009, 11:05 AM
We'll see I guess but I find you a tad too harsh with a guy who's still very young and has been very consistent in his ranking for the last 2 years.

vtmike
04-24-2009, 11:23 AM
We'll see I guess but I find you a tad too harsh with a guy who's still very young and has been very consistent in his ranking for the last 2 years.

I find you a tad too harsh with a guy who has won two grand slams, held the number 1 position & was in the finals of two other grand slams...Maybe he is not not playing well now but that does not mean he was always chopped liver!

tintin
04-24-2009, 11:31 AM
watch out for Gasquet?
not even tintin. Gasquet can win a max. 3 matches and then he is done. Gasquet's problem is that he doesn't have the mentality to win the big matches. He does have the skills, it is just the mentality that is the problem for him. But I don't think that it is just him. I believe that a lot of the French players seem to lack the mentality game as well. Look at Mauresmo. It took her a very long time before she won her first of two slams.

Mauresmo mate the semis in 3 out of 4 slams except the FO where she made the quarters 2 times
Mauresmo won Masters and titles on all surfaces and lost in semis to the eventual winners every time
Mauresmo has won a Fed Cup and made YEC finals and won 1

you can't possibly compare Mauresmo's slam results to Gasquet's slam results
just plain stupid:roll:don't even go there:roll:

I'll say that again,Roddick can lose another 20 lbs he ain't winning jack!

kraggy
04-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Game wise Novak is definitely top 3-4 and miles ahead of Roddick ! Yes Roddick beat him the last 2 times but Novak suffers from physical issues aside from his sometimes head case issues. In fact Roddick is probably in his head a lot because his post match comments after the USO 08 Roddick match are probably what started Novaks mental decline in the 1st place ! He went from being one of the most liked guys to being someone who was considered arrogant!

Anyways a loss is a loss and Roddick deserved to win those games. But its like saying Wawrinka is a better player than Federer. If they played tomorrow , I would put decent odds on Wawrinka winning. But winning a tournament as a whole, the odds on Federer winning are way higher.

I just don't think Roddick has the talent to beat 2-3 top guys. He and Davydenko are guys who I see as being really consistent day in and day out but who's A game is just not good enough. Someone like Tsonga or Djokovic though, their consistency might be suspect but their A game is killer.

Joseph L. Barrow
04-24-2009, 12:10 PM
It could happen. Roddick would need a number of things to really come together just right for him, in terms of his form and of the field and circumstances as well, but it isn't completely out of the ballpark.

devila
04-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Roddick has improved by quite a bit this season - you've got to give the guy a lot of credit for that. Can he win Wimbledon? Bit of a stretch but I wouldn't be that upset if he did - I like Roddick.
Unfortunately, as the years of Roddick's death-wishing have shown, he is not a fan of himself and tennis. He's Federer 's apologist. It's the reason why he badmouthed Djokovic (it backfired in Roddick's cute face to help Federer and Djokovic in the USO).

devila
04-24-2009, 02:03 PM
It could happen. Roddick would need a number of things to really come together just right for him, in terms of his form and of the field and circumstances as well, but it isn't completely out of the ballpark.
He's a trainwreck, not just the last 2 years. LOL at so-called tennis fans, who are barely 23 years old and still consider Davydenko at the same level as Roddick. Unfathomable.:oops::)

veroniquem
04-24-2009, 02:08 PM
I find you a tad too harsh with a guy who has won two grand slams, held the number 1 position & was in the finals of two other grand slams...Maybe he is not not playing well now but that does not mean he was always chopped liver!
Do you mean Safin? He was #1 for 9 weeks lol. (1 month less than Roddick!) I've never said anywhere that Safin was chopped liver. What I said was
a- Safin could not maintain his brilliance for a long time, he was mentally unstable and I believe suffered injuries also.
b- He was a hard court specialist, never really fared well on other surfaces.
c- He didn't live up to expectations, 15 titles is very little for a 29 years old with massive talent.
By comparison, both Hewitt and Roddick got 27 and Roddick may well get a few more before he retires.

adlis
04-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Andy roddick will NEVER win another slam

deltox
04-24-2009, 04:25 PM

that post make you feel special?

vtmike
04-24-2009, 04:27 PM

and you are?...

deltox
04-24-2009, 04:30 PM
and you are?...

he must be a multi slam winner, didnt you get that from his in depth analytical post?

geesh pay attention ;)

6rump
04-25-2009, 10:57 AM

LOL, are you god or what? everyhing if it's not againts nature law is possible, what if roddick serve a high% of serve and hit most of his "CRUCIAL point" with an ace??..... i don't think that is impossible!, win a queen's club i think is possible, but for wimbledon i think that would be a lot harder, but make it to semi-final would be a great result for Roddick and he will need a though "mentality" to win another slam.....

All-rounder
04-25-2009, 11:41 AM
ummm..... yeah i think everyone heard you

NamRanger
04-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Do you mean Safin? He was #1 for 9 weeks lol. (1 month less than Roddick!) I've never said anywhere that Safin was chopped liver. What I said was
a- Safin could not maintain his brilliance for a long time, he was mentally unstable and I believe suffered injuries also.
b- He was a hard court specialist, never really fared well on other surfaces.
c- He didn't live up to expectations, 15 titles is very little for a 29 years old with massive talent.
By comparison, both Hewitt and Roddick got 27 and Roddick may well get a few more before he retires.

I hope you know that Safin is one of the few active players to have reached the semis of all 4 slams or better. He's in an elite group such as Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Nalbandian, etc. I'd say he's pretty good on all surfaces; just that HCs is his best.

Cyan
04-25-2009, 04:51 PM
If you can't beat Fed you ain't winning slams in this era, no?

JeMar
04-25-2009, 05:40 PM
There's too many people that can beat him now.

hondas2k
04-26-2009, 02:36 PM
its gonna be nadal vs. djokovic or nadal vs. murrary at the 2009 wimbledon final.

maybe andy can be quarter finalist as always lol

Nanshiki
04-26-2009, 03:22 PM
If Roddick can manage two victories in a row over the Big Four, he could win a slam. He's extremely consistent at beating lesser players.

But that's a big 'if.'

Cyan
04-26-2009, 04:19 PM

Not at the slams..................................

deltox
04-26-2009, 04:21 PM

who are these to many, im curious. i only know of 2 that could consistantly beat him without question. murray has a better chance than most but noval has yet to prove dominance over roddick on any surface but clay.

grafselesfan
04-26-2009, 04:22 PM
I hope you know that Safin is one of the few active players to have reached the semis of all 4 slams or better. He's in an elite group such as Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Nalbandian, etc. I'd say he's pretty good on all surfaces; just that HCs is his best.

Yeah but he was never really a threat to win Wimbledon. He was a threat to win the French Open at the very start of this decade. He was one of the few players really pushing a prime Kuerten on clay. The ironic thing is a washed up Kuerten crushed a prime Federer on clay, Safin was a really tough opponent for even a prime Kuerten on clay, yet a green Federer was crushing a prime Safin on clay in 2002. I guess it just goes to show it is all about matchups and various days.

deltox
04-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah but he was never really a threat to win Wimbledon. He was a threat to win the French Open at the very start of this decade. He was one of the few players really pushing a prime Kuerten on clay. The ironic thing is a washed up Kuerten crushed a prime Federer on clay, Safin was a really tough opponent for even a prime Kuerten on clay, yet a green Federer was crushing a prime Safin on clay in 2002. I guess it just goes to show it is all about matchups and various days.

good comparisons to show that beating one doesnt mean beating the other.

rafan
04-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Well I like Roddick and wasn't Mac and Jimmy obnoxious at times? They were talented American tennis players and I for one miss the American presence(being a Brit) at Wimbledon especially. Roddick comes close to those two and has the spirit to carry on and fight which I admire

maximo
04-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Yes, Roddick will never again win Wimbledon, maybe the USO or AO someday.