PDA

View Full Version : Why the long layoff?

ChipNCharge
03-12-2005, 06:06 PM
I've noticed several posters state they're just now getting back into tennis after X number of years of not playing. Just curious, if you're one of them why weren't you playing? Injury, too busy with work, started a family?? I can't imagine not playing for any extended period of time!

Baseline Basher
03-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Halo 2's release? :P

roger2016
03-12-2005, 07:09 PM
I quit for 8 years after I was on my way to becoming a pro at 6 ;^)

I dont really know why either... I guess I just wasn't interested, but now I am!

Jet Rink
03-12-2005, 07:32 PM
For me it was family, work and life (sort of). Now that "priorities" are straightened out, tennis is back! Wish I'd have not stepped away. That said, it's all great now.

Jet

goober
03-12-2005, 09:02 PM
At least 15 years off. A number of factors -work, family, college/grad school, interest in other sports, living for a long while in a place where access to courts and players was limited.

I regret taking all that time off, but I am glad playing now :D

AndrewD
03-13-2005, 02:28 AM
Like goober I had about 15 or 16 years away from playing tennis. Had some lessons when I was 14 and played for 12 months then Aussie Rules got in the way. Just didn't have the time to play competition as I played professional Aussie Rules in winter and very high standard club cricket in summer. Got paid for both so tennis had to take a back seat. Kept involved with tennis by calling lines at the Aus Open for 10 years but only got back to playing tennis at the end of last year/start of this year as my football days are over and I no longer play cricket at the same high standard I used to (I am 35 now). Always preferred tennis, just wasn't as good at it as the other two sports.

cak
03-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Well, I got out of college and working full time, it really cut into my tennis. Also I moved to a new area, so the only partners I found were my husband. After inadvertently humiliating him at one of his silly company tennis socials, we pretty much quit playing. (Somehow I ended up 1st in womens division, second in mens, he wasn't first in mens, the company newsletter thought this was a scream...) My workplace offered lots of recreational opportunities, volleyball, softball, aerobics, soccer, racquetball, and innertube waterpolo, so tennis got shoved to the back. Then came kids, and there just wasn't time. A few years back we joined a country club to improve our blossoming golf games. The very gregarious tennis pro cornered my husband on the way to the parking lot to get him to bring his family out for a free lesson. We didn't have racquets, shoes, or country club dress code outfits, but we cobbled something together with demo racquets and boy was it fun. Haven't really looked back. (And my golf game never did improve.) This particular tennis pro has brought many a lapsed tennis player back into the fold. Good pros do that.