PDA

View Full Version : Lendl comments

thejoe
04-25-2009, 04:05 AM
Hi,

Would it be possible for one of you 90's experts to explain to me the meaning behind Lendl's amusing comment at the US Open 1992 after losing to Edberg. When asked "who will win the title?" he responded:

"Not Edberg; he doesn't play like he used to, he just bunts the ball."

I thought he might have been responding to Edberg critics, or a comment made by a journalist? Can someone fill me in here? Thanks,

Joe.

crabgrass
04-25-2009, 04:25 AM
Hi,

Would it be possible for one of you 90's experts to explain to me the meaning behind Lendl's amusing comment at the US Open 1992 after losing to Edberg. When asked "who will win the title?" he responded:

"Not Edberg; he doesn't play like he used to, he just bunts the ball."

I thought he might have been responding to Edberg critics, or a comment made by a journalist? Can someone fill me in here? Thanks,

Joe.

lol, would be lendl's sense of humour...after lendl had knocked out connors earlier in the tornament jimbo was rather ingratious in defeat and in the post match interview with vitas gerulaitis made some classless remarks about lendl not being half the player he used to be and is now only capable of bunting the ball back.

joe sch
04-25-2009, 05:18 AM
Sour grapes ! Ivan was not a good loser and usually not a good interview especially after losing. Maybe that was his way of disrespecting Connors, as Crabgrass indicated above, in addition to disrespecting Edberg after this loss. Ivan was quite skillful in these areas.

crabgrass
04-25-2009, 05:41 AM
Sour grapes ! Ivan was not a good loser and usually not a good interview especially after losing. Maybe that was his way of disrespecting Connors, as Crabgrass indicated above, in addition to disrespecting Edberg after this loss. Ivan was quite skillful in these areas.

in no way was lendl disrespecting edberg, was clearly a shot at connors

BTURNER
04-25-2009, 05:59 AM
I remember Lendl well enough to recall 1. how dry and sardonic his sense of humor was and 2. how poorly it ever translated into english, or at least his word choice did! This was not about Edberg! Lendl had the same respect for Edberg and his game everyone else did! As for respecting Connors, well not so much!

rod99
04-25-2009, 06:07 AM
that quote wasn't about edberg. connors made that quote about lendl after losing to him in an early round that year.

thejoe
04-25-2009, 06:46 AM
Right, so it was a shot at Connors. Thanks for clearing that up. I know what Lendl was like, I was after the specifics, so thanks all for helping me out :)

pc1
04-25-2009, 07:44 AM
Connors used to say that about Lendl a lot. That's basically all Lendl did against Connors but it worked. Connors couldn't handle the lack of pace and overhit a lot. Connors always complained that Lendl did nothing but if doing nothing works, why change?

I saw the 1984 Tournament of Champions semi between Connors and Lendl and Lendl sliced, hit a little top and gave Connors no pace and beat Connors 6-0 6-0. If it works, it works.

CyBorg
04-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Connors used to say that about Lendl a lot. That's basically all Lendl did against Connors but it worked. Connors couldn't handle the lack of pace and overhit a lot. Connors always complained that Lendl did nothing but if doing nothing works, why change?

I saw the 1984 Tournament of Champions semi between Connors and Lendl and Lendl sliced, hit a little top and gave Connors no pace and beat Connors 6-0 6-0. If it works, it works.

Orantes used to drive Connors nuts by hitting him junk. Kind of goes against the popular mentality of "hitting bigger is better".

Cesc Fabregas
04-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Orantes used to drive Connors nuts by hitting him junk. Kind of goes against the popular mentality of "hitting bigger is better".

Arthur Ashe did the same thing in their Wimbledon final gave Connors no pace.

thejoe
04-25-2009, 11:22 AM

Ah right. I gave a link to a match that you would have seen, but it is in great quality (in the old matches thread.)

CyBorg
04-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Ah right. I gave a link to a match that you would have seen, but it is in great quality (in the old matches thread.)

Sorry - what link?

CEvertFan
04-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Arthur Ashe did the same thing in their Wimbledon final gave Connors no pace.

Which was all the more surprising because it wasn't Ashe's style of play at all. It wasn't Lendl's either, especially in the latter part of the 80s but whatever he did worked because he leads by quite a bit in the rivalry with Connors. Granted, part of that is due to the age difference but still...

About the quote, I remember that and I also know it was a potshot at Connors, and not Edberg. Lendl's sense of humor was too dry and sardonic for most people, but I liked him. One of my all time favorite male players.

Funny how both Connors and McEnroe don't like Lendl and how the feelings are mutual from Lendl. Jimmy and John could both be major a**es at times though.

Tshooter
04-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Lendl was very funny. He had a very dry sense of humor.

Deuce
04-26-2009, 11:31 PM
There was one famous post-match interview - I don't recall if Lendl won or lost the match, but let's assume he won...
It went something like this:

Journalist: Ivan, what do you think the reason was that you were able to win today?

Lendl: I won more games than he did.

Journalist: Yes, well... But what was the key to your winning the match?

Lendl: He lost more games than I did.

And it went back and forth like that a few more times - and each time, Lendl gave basically the same type of
'bland' answer, in a serious, deadpan manner - "I won more sets than him", etc.

CEvertFan
04-26-2009, 11:33 PM
There was one famous post-match interview - I don't recall if Lendl won or lost the match, but let's assume he won...
It went something like this:

Journalist: Ivan, what do you think the reason was that you were able to win today?

Lendl: I won more games than he did.

Journalist: Yes, well... But what was the key to your winning the match?

Lendl: He lost more games than I did.

And it went back and forth like that a few more times, each time, Lendl gave basically the same type of
'bland' answer, in a serious, deadpan manner - "I won more sets than him", etc.

The press probably had no clue. I find it very amusing though. Classic Lendl.

He was so different on court than off it - so very serious and didn't play to the crowd at all. It's why he wasn't liked much - well that and the fact he was from a Communist country living in the US during the Cold War.

PERL
04-27-2009, 05:10 AM
He was so different on court than off it - so very serious and didn't play to the crowd at all. It's why he wasn't liked much - well that and the fact he was from a Communist country living in the US during the Cold War.

Well that and also he kept hitting straight to the opponents at the net to intimidate them. This is not the best way to make friends Ivan. Players like Pat Cash or Yannick Noah despised him. There was no love lost between him and Boris Becker either in the battle of the alpha male.

pc1
04-27-2009, 05:18 AM
Well that and also he kept hitting straight to the opponents at the net to intimidate them. This is not the best way to make friends Ivan. Players like Pat Cash or Yannick Noah despised him. There was no love lost between him and Boris Becker either in the battle of the alpha male.

Oddly enough Pete Sampras really liked and respect Lendl. Lendl brought him up to his home and worked out with him before Pete made his major breakthrough. Sampras rates him higher than Connors and McEnroe on his list of all time great. I think he rates Lendl in the top five of all time. I don't remember all of them but it was Laver, Borg, Lendl and himself and I can't remember the last player.

PERL
04-27-2009, 05:35 AM
Oddly enough Pete Sampras really liked and respect Lendl. Lendl brought him up to his home and worked out with him before Pete made his major breakthrough. Sampras rates him higher than Connors and McEnroe on his list of all time great. I think he rates Lendl in the top five of all time. I don't remember all of them but it was Laver, Borg, Lendl and himself and I can't remember the last player.

Yep I remember that. Sampras described this experience as a boost in his desire to reach the way of life Lendl had. Also when sponsors such as Adidas were looking for the next big thing his advice was to go with Jim Courier.
To be fair Yannick Noah changed his view a bit on Lendl after their career ended. He told in an interview how Lendl was saying hello and was always being courteous with Noah’s father over the years.

matchmaker
04-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Lendl taking a shot at Connors, the man had humour but you had to understand it.

DBH
04-27-2009, 09:28 AM

The fifth player Sampras referred to was Federer. (I think Pete was only considering open-era players.) Pete said that these five were most dominant in their own eras, which was his criterion for ultimate greatness.

crabgrass
04-27-2009, 10:03 AM

identical alltime list to myself, though i favour borg slightly over laver

Kaptain Karl
04-27-2009, 10:42 PM
I enjoyed another post-match interview ... I think it was after a USO match:

Reporter: [Blabbed about how Ivan won the big points so well as introduction to the question...] "What's the most important big point, Ivan?"

Lendl: [Stares at reporter with no comment for about three long seconds, then...] "The last one."

[Lendl walked away, leaving the reporter with her mouth hanging open.]

- KK

Tshooter
04-27-2009, 11:13 PM
My favorite Lendl story is about Nastase giving Lendl a hard time before Lendl had won any GSs and Lendl had received a large endorsement deal.

It supposedly went something like this:

Nastase: "You got that big endorsement ? You never won anything."

Lendl: "I can beat you"

kanjii
04-30-2009, 06:58 AM
Lendl's my all time favorite...I remember a story that Lendl gave J Mac a ride in his car after a match.

vsbabolat
04-30-2009, 07:21 AM
Lendl hits McEnroe with a passing shot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xAPwx3z950

Lendl hits a unusual ace against McEnroe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxzUGtr0ApY&feature=related

drakulie
04-30-2009, 07:49 AM
^^lmao!!

Those two videos always crack me up. :)

bolo
05-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Lendl hits McEnroe with a passing shot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xAPwx3z950

Lendl hits a unusual ace against McEnroe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxzUGtr0ApY&feature=related

lol, that is hilarious. :)

Arvid
05-11-2009, 02:50 AM
Here comes a Lendl story that i find hilarious! He and Wilander was supposed to play an exhibition match on clay, and this is the time when both of them are pretty much rated as the 2 best claycourters in the world. For some reason Wilander looses his rackets, so he has to play with a racket that hes not used to at all, which makes it hard for him to play. Well exhibition and all didnt seem to matter much for Lendl....he goes out and double bagels the poor Wilander which left Wilander furious! But here comes the best part, Lendl doesnt think hes done anything bad what so ever, so the next day he has his wife give Wilander a call to ask him if he wants to practise!! Need i say Mats declined the practise, and this incident still today makes him bitter towards Lendl.....

stormholloway
05-11-2009, 11:59 AM
If you had seen the comment in the context of that tournament, you'd see the humor in it. Connors was beaten by Lendl when Lendl changed his strategy to slicing to Jimmy's forehand. It worked and Connors was sour about it.