PDA

View Full Version : Male dirt GOAT ?

joe sch
04-25-2009, 05:28 AM
Who currently is the Greatest Of All Time on the dirt ?
What would it take for Nadal to become the dirt GOAT ?
Just wondering if Rafa continues to sweep all he clay events this year if he would be the dirt GOAT ?

Pirao
04-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Nadal needs to win this RG to make it 5 in a row, and then he would just need another RG (consecuitve or not) to be GOAT on clay, because that would put him above Borg who "only" managed 4 RG in a row.

gj011
04-25-2009, 07:37 AM
Bjorn Borg.

CyBorg
04-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Borg/Rosewall/Nadal seem like the best ones in terms of accomplishments as quantity/quality. Maybe Cochet can be included in this group.

Nadal needs another dominant clay stretch to essentially 'tie' Borg's five straight years of clay court dominance 1977-81.

If he wins another RG without dropping a set that would also tie Borg's record.

The-Champ
04-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Borg/Rosewall/Nadal seem like the best ones in terms of accomplishments as quantity/quality. Maybe Cochet can be included in this group.

Nadal needs another dominant clay stretch to essentially 'tie' Borg's five straight years of clay court dominance 1977-81.

If he wins another RG without dropping a set that would also tie Borg's record.

And if Nadal accomplish those things you've mentioned, you'd say..."Nadal will have to grow longer hair and bleach it, then he is tied with Borg".

And when Nadal gets blond hair you'd say.."Nadal needs to speak Swedish and move to Södertälje, then he is tied with Borg".

etc etc etc..

CANADIAN763
04-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Nadal hands down

joe sch
04-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Nadal needs to win this RG to make it 5 in a row, and then he would just need another RG (consecuitve or not) to be GOAT on clay, because that would put him above Borg who "only" managed 4 RG in a row.

Being tied with Borg is quite a historic accomplishment although I think Bjorn had tougher competition including several of the best clay court players with multiple dirt championships. I believe Rafa will surpass Bjorns records and be recognized as the dirt GOAT. Lots of victories still needed to match the records of players like Rosewall and Laver but what Rafa has accomplished in the last 5 years is historic.

CANADIAN763
04-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Being tied with Borg is quite a historic accomplishment although I think Bjorn had tougher competition including several of the best clay court players with multiple dirt championships. I believe Rafa will surpass Bjorns records and be recognized as the dirt GOAT. Lots of victories still needed to match the records of players like Rosewall and Laver but what Rafa has accomplished in the last 5 years is historic.

I feel how nadal has not only performed amazing at the FO but also all other clay court tournaments in the year pushes him past Borg. Nadal at 5* barcellona finals*(maybe titles tomorrow) in a row, five MC titles, three at rome and one at hamburg is way impressive.

NLBwell
04-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Agree with Cyborg. Looks like Nadal probably will do it.

CyBorg
04-25-2009, 09:09 PM
And if Nadal accomplish those things you've mentioned, you'd say..."Nadal will have to grow longer hair and bleach it, then he is tied with Borg".

And when Nadal gets blond hair you'd say.."Nadal needs to speak Swedish and move to Södertälje, then he is tied with Borg".

etc etc etc..

If I was really that bad I'd say he needs five more years. I think I'm being pretty fair.

hoodjem
04-26-2009, 05:16 AM
Dirt? Clay? Terre battue?

joe sch
04-26-2009, 05:58 AM
Dirt? Clay? Terre battue?

Oui !

A clay court is one of the four different types of tennis court. Clay courts are made of crushed shale, stone or brick. The red clay is slower than the green, or Har-Tru "American" clay. The French Open uses clay courts, making it unique among the Grand Slam tournaments.

* 4.1 Grand Slam (red)
* 4.2 ATP (red)
* 4.3 WTA (green)
* 4.4 WTA (red)

What is significant to discussion is really the titles at the French, Italian, Spanish, and German. There are many orther dirt tournies but I would think these 4 are what matters most for dirt GOAT discussions.

BTURNER
04-26-2009, 06:21 AM
"other crushed particles" on the red clay "a topping' on the green clay. What are these made of, does it differ and does it matter what this substance is in the play?

hoodjem
04-26-2009, 06:23 AM
What is significant to discussion is really the titles at the French, Italian, Spanish, and German. There are many orther dirt tournies but I would think these 4 are what matters most for dirt GOAT discussions.
There was a discussion on here about whether Monte Carlo was the second most important clay-court tourney?

crabgrass
04-26-2009, 07:52 AM
borg... if nadal ties him at 6 i may reconsider, if he surpasses him with 7 then i'll jump ship to nadal.

joe sch
04-26-2009, 10:41 AM
There was a discussion on here about whether Monte Carlo was the second most important clay-court tourney?

I agree ! Monte Carlo should be considered one of the top clay tounaments.