PDA

View Full Version : Where do you put the ball?

sureshs
04-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Not talking about your placement skills, but where all do you women keep the extra ball? Because I was playing mixed dubs yesterday, and was looking for a second ball (the third ball had gone over the fence to be retrieved later). I glanced discretely at my partner's skirt but could not see any bulge. I asked her: do you have the second ball? And she dives deep into her cleavage and pulls it out. Then I noticed she did this all the time. And her proportions and the tightness of her spandex-like outfit complement each other in such a way that the ball stays in position however much she moves. The ball is squeezed tightly between the big barriers on either side.

Is that considered the proper thing to do?

BTW, we won the match.

larry10s
04-27-2009, 09:29 AM
did you take the ball yourself? there is probably a rule about that

larry10s
04-27-2009, 09:30 AM
seriously though with all the sweat i do not know if i would want to play with that ball

sureshs
04-27-2009, 09:32 AM
did you take the ball yourself? there is probably a rule about that

No, that would be too much effort. It was so deep down that it was not visible, even with a careful look (and I was looking very carefully once I knew it could be in there). You would have to get real close and look down.

sureshs
04-27-2009, 09:33 AM
seriously though with all the sweat i do not know if i would want to play with that ball

I had no choice.

shell
04-27-2009, 09:33 AM
I would personally never, ever do that. I rarely see it, but I suppose some do it.

mikeler
04-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Was she hot?

StringingIrvine
04-27-2009, 09:57 AM
i guess you could put balls there, i've never heard or seen about females putting the ball there. It must be strange having her reach into her cleavage everytime to get out a ball.

sureshs
04-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Was she hot?

It is a tough call. I will just say that for her age, she looks hot to some people and her outfits are as revealing as possible and she likes to flaunt it. She is a very nice person and calls all men "darling."

Babo
04-27-2009, 10:01 AM
I've only had one partner do this..the sweat thing crossed my mind too when she handed it to me....:?

raiden031
04-27-2009, 10:13 AM
I glanced discretely at my partner's skirt but could not see any bulge.

One would hope so! Otherwise that might be cheating.

StringingIrvine
04-27-2009, 10:17 AM

AHAHAHAHH that was great.

coyfish
04-27-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't think its any nastier than shoving it up your skirt by your butcheek. Just as much sweat there . . . Its not like its going to be soaking wet and even so by the time she serves all the water will fly off.

Just my 2cents

larry10s
04-27-2009, 10:33 AM
very good raiden031

mikeler
04-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Tennis is just gross. I quit...

xr3fgb
04-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Damnit, this thread is useless without pictures!

sureshs
04-27-2009, 11:05 AM

On the side, on the side

heartman
04-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Maybe a dab of perfume would help? Poor old, weak men like me need any kind of motivation we can get, er, uh, I mean, smell.

On second thought, it could be a bad visual...let's drop the whole idea. Not cool.

maverick66
04-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Tennis is just gross. I quit...

women are gross? i think other wise. if it was a big hairy fat guy putting the ball in the tighty whities i might not use that ball but cute girl no issue from me.

ive seen them tuck in the panties but never in the bra. i would think it would bounce out of there when they moved.

sureshs
04-27-2009, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=maverick66;3361555]ive seen them tuck in the panties but never in the bra. QUOTE]

If you read my post carefully, I never mentioned a bra and there is a reason for it.

maverick66
04-27-2009, 12:00 PM
still wouldnt bother me. o well you get a little sweat on the ball. and i was under the impression that a sports bra was needed for tennis so stuff isnt bouncing all over the place. i guess she is just has perfect boobs.

sureshs
04-27-2009, 12:04 PM
still wouldnt bother me. o well you get a little sweat on the ball. and i was under the impression that a sports bra was needed for tennis so stuff isnt bouncing all over the place. i guess she is just has perfect boobs.

And wears a tight swimsuit-like outfit which is not a swimsuit though.

nhat8121
04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
yeah, I saw someone did the same thing like this yesterday on the court next to mine...surprised the heck out of me :)

Cindysphinx
04-27-2009, 12:29 PM
No, I would never put the ball anywhere but under the compression shorts.

I think it would make me miss my volleys.

sureshs
04-27-2009, 12:40 PM
yeah, I saw someone did the same thing like this yesterday on the court next to mine...surprised the heck out of me :)

Why were you looking at the next court?

GPB
04-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Why were you looking at the next court?

Because the lady over there was hiding her balls in weird places!

maverick66
04-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Because the lady over there was hiding her balls in weird places!

well thats a good thing. wouldnt be very lady like to have her balls hanging out:shock:

JesseT
04-27-2009, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a form of gamesmanship. In mixed, I frequently see some ladies be a little less discreet in their dress (thongs, see-through clothing) or behavior (bringing up flirty subjects). And having watched many ladies matches, I don't see the same "tricks".

*shrug*

While I wouldn't want my partner to do it (distraction's a double-edged sword), if the other side wants to play the game I won't complain.

coyfish
04-27-2009, 01:04 PM
They should just ducktape the ball to their back. Problem solved.

Steady Eddy
04-27-2009, 01:16 PM
I think I know this woman. Does she wear alot of Fila? Anyway, at my parents club a woman did this. She wore tight clothes and I thought it was tacky that the put the ball in her cleavage.

StringingIrvine
04-27-2009, 02:03 PM
I used to hit with a girl and she would put the ball on the side of her shirt, it was really strange. She wore a tight shirt and would put the ball right above her hip. It look really strange.

StringingIrvine
04-27-2009, 02:03 PM
*looked really strange

Cindysphinx
04-27-2009, 02:42 PM
I sometimes have as many as three balls up my skirt when practicing something where you need a lot of balls.

I know. It looks strange. You dudes gotta understand -- I don't have pockets. You try limiting yourself to one ball in your pocket and you'll see that you'll get desperate enough to put a ball almost anywhere!

sureshs
04-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Why don't women wear loose shorts like the men? After all female soccer players wear them.

Cindysphinx
04-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Why don't women wear loose shorts like the men? After all female soccer players wear them.

'Cause we don't want to look like female soccer players.

Seriously, the clothing is one of the best parts about being a female tennis player. Lots of choice, lots of age-appropriate things, lots of figure-flattering things.

Contrast this to golf, where they have actual rules about how short your skirts can be (my tennis skirts would get me thrown off of a golf course). Frumpity frump frump frump.

You know, I haven't bought a new tennis shirt in ages. Maybe I'll go buy one right now. . . .

maverick66
04-28-2009, 11:21 AM

i like the little skirts they wear. if there a good looking girl with good legs let the skirt stay.

gocard02
04-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Why don't tennis skirts have pockets? Otherwise, why are they called "tennis" skirts. You should just call them skirts, because they don't really help with tennis.

Seriously, is there no market for tennis skirts with pockets?

StringingIrvine
04-28-2009, 11:42 AM
i had a conversation about female players and skirts, her arguement was that skirts look silly with tennis shoes. I told her that if a pretty lady was wearing a tennis skirt i wouldn't even notice the shoes.

sureshs
04-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Why don't tennis skirts have pockets? Otherwise, why are they called "tennis" skirts. You should just call them skirts, because they don't really help with tennis.

Seriously, is there no market for tennis skirts with pockets?

I saw a WTA match recently, and thought the player put a ball away into a pocket in her skirt. Not under her skirt, under her undies, but into a side pocket. At least that is what it appeared in the fleeting moment I saw it.

sureshs
04-28-2009, 12:00 PM
i had a conversation about female players and skirts, her arguement was that skirts look silly with tennis shoes.

Ask her to lose the skirt and stick with the shoes

maverick66
04-28-2009, 12:11 PM
were i played as a kid there was a group of old ladies that always played next to us. they had to be in there 80's. one day one of them forgot her skirt and went onto the court. we all saw and gave a little giggle at this and figured one of her friends would tell her and she would go and find her skirt. nobody said a thing and she played like that for the entire hour. it was like the elephant in the room nobody would say something.

120mphBodyServe
04-28-2009, 12:26 PM
I'd hit it..
Come on, give us pics of your doubles partner!!!!

seleswannabe
04-28-2009, 02:49 PM
This thread is hilarious! How on earth can you play tennis with a ball between your boobs?? I'm a woman and I can't for the life of me figure out how you could have proper strokes with something that big in there?!
Some of the girls on my team and I were just discussing this topic. It is pretty gross that we *store* the ball up our compression shorts near our rears. Admittedly, it gets pretty darn sweaty in there. In our defense though.....shorts are completely frumpy and no major athletic brand makes a skirt WITH compression shorts that has pockets. So we are left with few choices.

coyfish
04-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Well im sure it wouldn't be too dificult to make a small elastic pocket on the shirt or pants for the ball.

Women have to make a fashion statement though . . . it would never catch on.

cak
04-28-2009, 06:59 PM
There are quite a few compression shorts and tennis spankies with elastic pockets on them. I'm guessing someone uses them. However, in tennis I've found the ladies tend to like to pop balls away or pull them out rather quickly, and I don't know of any ladies that can do that without just tucking them under the compression shorts. Even ladies that play in men's shorts tend to fish for balls in the pockets. I'm always in awe of how fast the men can find balls in their pockets.

maverick66
04-28-2009, 07:50 PM
I'm always in awe of how fast the men can find balls in their pockets.

years of practice:)

J011yroger
04-28-2009, 07:59 PM
how you could have proper strokes with something that big in there?!

I have been using that argument for years!

J

maverick66
04-28-2009, 08:11 PM
stroking the ego a little bit jolly?

GPG
04-28-2009, 08:44 PM
why women always keep their stuff between their boobs!!!

ROFL

chinadoll724
04-28-2009, 08:56 PM
I've always just stuck it into my pockets when I wear shorts or under the compression short when I wear skirts, but i found compression shorts with pockets today!!! They look funny- like they're upside down, but the stretch keeps the balls in.

I can't imagine how sweaty the balls would get tucked into her chest and yes, that grosses me out. Sure you might sweat a little near the thigh/rear, but there's a lot less contact with the ball on your skin doesn't get nearly as sweaty.

Ew.

raiden031
04-29-2009, 02:41 AM
Is it appropiate for a male with bicycle shorts on and a ball tucked up the side? Wouuld you play with him?

Topaz
04-29-2009, 03:06 AM
There are quite a few compression shorts and tennis spankies with elastic pockets on them. I'm guessing someone uses them. However, in tennis I've found the ladies tend to like to pop balls away or pull them out rather quickly, and I don't know of any ladies that can do that without just tucking them under the compression shorts. Even ladies that play in men's shorts tend to fish for balls in the pockets. I'm always in awe of how fast the men can find balls in their pockets.

Yup, I have a few, and you're right...it takes too long (IMO) to get the ball in and out of that little pocket. Much easier to just put it under the compression short.

I'm a big fan of shorts with the compression shorts built in, such as the Nike Power shorts. Those are my personal favorite.

I also do use 'regular' shorts with pockets, and have nothing against them...except that women's shorts tend to be shorter, making the pocket shallower...and sometimes when you're running around they end up coming out of your pocket.

Is it appropiate for a male with bicycle shorts on and a ball tucked up the side? Wouuld you play with him?

Why wouldn't it be appropriate? Male compressions shorts tend to be pretty long, and you'd have to work pretty hard to get the ball up there where it might be...inappropriate.

I believe a lot of male players wear compression shorts under their tennis shorts (Roddick comes to mind), though they still use their shorts pockets. But again, those pockets are nice and deep.

I honestly don't get why any of the pros (men or women) carry the extra ball...isn't that what the ball kid is for??? Need a ball for a second serve, and they'll bounce it to you!

Cindysphinx
04-29-2009, 04:48 AM
There's also the little cup some women attack to their waistbands to hold the ball. I find these intriguing. I've never tried them. I figure if the pros will hold a ball in their compression shorts, that's good enough for me.

As far as the gross-out factor, I imagine that your average tennis court is quite filthy, which makes the balls filthy. A little more filth from someone's compression shorts is not biggie.

cak
04-29-2009, 06:58 AM

I think anybody running around the court in shorts with a chamois would look pretty weird, and tucking balls would be the least weird part. So, in this scenario is he wearing road cleats? Or SPDs?

But if a guy was tucking balls into his compression shorts worn under basketball shorts, I wouldn't even blink.

cak
04-29-2009, 07:00 AM
There's also the little cup some women attack to their waistbands to hold the ball. I find these intriguing.

I'm afraid the rap they've gotten at our club is they make you look like a bunny. So I haven't been tempted to use them either.

JesseT
04-29-2009, 07:40 AM
There are enough quotes-of-the-year in this thread. Thanks to everyone for making my morning. The out-of-context quotes that could be put in signatures are reaching 10+.

- i'd suppose pros use the pocket cause they're used to it. period. I even see the ladies do the compression-short thing even though they have ball-kids (Ana and Maria seem to always use the kid...they're probably very camera-aware)

- Cindy, I'd assume no one's thinking about the court-filth when 'ew-ing' about sweat. In fact, using your point, why would ANYONE put a dirty ball against their skin?! It's just a non-thought.

This thread is one of the many reasons I love tennis. I challenge softballers or golfers (or other co-ed sports) to have a similar "situation".

sureshs
04-29-2009, 08:03 AM
This thread is hilarious! How on earth can you play tennis with a ball between your boobs?? I'm a woman and I can't for the life of me figure out how you could have proper strokes with something that big in there?!

Not only that, we won .........

Also, the tennis ball was not big in this case (relatively speaking).

sureshs
04-29-2009, 08:04 AM
There's also the little cup some women attack to their waistbands to hold the ball. I find these intriguing. I've never tried them.

They are pretty common

StringingIrvine
04-29-2009, 09:37 AM
I'd just be grossed out about all that contact, if you put a ball in your compression shorts the ball is only touching you against your leg or thigh. If you put the ball in your chest and the ball is surrounded! Tennis balls are dirty, itchy, throw in some sweat, to me that doesn't seem like fun.

sureshs
04-29-2009, 09:42 AM
If a woman can keep a ball in the cleavage, shouldn't guys be allowed to keep it in the front of their shorts under the undies and pull it out from there? There should be no discrimination.

spiderman123
04-29-2009, 10:32 AM
As far as the gross-out factor, I imagine that your average tennis court is quite filthy, which makes the balls filthy. A little more filth from someone's compression shorts is not biggie.

Most of the public courts I play on do not have any dog poop. :)

spiderman123
04-29-2009, 10:35 AM
I honestly don't get why any of the pros (men or women) carry the extra ball...isn't that what the ball kid is for??? Need a ball for a second serve, and they'll bounce it to you!

That is too much of a distraction when you are trying to focus (well, since you missed the first serve you probably can use some distraction as well)

There are some pros who do not carry the second ball. Patty Schnyder IIRC.

spiderman123
04-29-2009, 10:36 AM
I have been using that argument for years!

J

Jokes apart, do you know how the term "amazon" (not .com, the female warrior) originated?

Cindysphinx
04-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Most of the public courts I play on do not have any dog poop. :)

That you know of. :)

CAK, that's it!! It's the Bunny Problem that is what makes those cups unappealing to me.

sureshs
04-29-2009, 11:03 AM
That is too much of a distraction when you are trying to focus (well, since you missed the first serve you probably can use some distraction as well)

There are some pros who do not carry the second ball. Patty Schnyder IIRC.

I think there are some in the ATP too.

Topaz
04-29-2009, 11:03 AM
CAK, that's it!! It's the Bunny Problem that is what makes those cups unappealing to me.

Ok, see, now I had never thought of that before, and now every time I see one of those, that's all I'm going to think!!!

I actually have one, but I've never used it.

sureshs
04-29-2009, 11:06 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageWALBH-FPBPS.html

Cindysphinx
04-29-2009, 11:12 AM

I bought a pair of those. I used them a few times, but the ball pocket didn't work for me. I could not seem to manage to get the ball up there securely enough quickly enough. Not only that, I would be limited to just one ball although I sometimes want two up there (or, at least, one on the left side so I can reach it with my dominant hand).

I started using them like regular compression shorts and shoving the ball up there anyway.

I think if I were a pro and there were ball kids, I'd be one of the chicks who keeps the second ball during the point. I would think that once I go into my little skirt-tugging-hair-sweeping-sock-pulling service routine, I wouldn't want to be interrupted by ball kids.

sureshs
04-29-2009, 11:30 AM
more balls:

http://www.joessports.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2744138&CAWELAID=141503107

someone worked on this:

Tennis ball pocket Document Type and Number:United States Patent 4301549
Abstract:A tennis ball pocket for fastening to the garment of a player which holds an extra ball in readiness and designed to release the ball through a hole in the outer wall of the pocket upon finger pressure either outside the pocket or against the ball inside the pocket to cause the ball to pop into the hand of the player.

rasajadad
04-29-2009, 11:42 AM
I think there are some in the ATP too.

As I recall, Sampras held only one.

maverick66
04-29-2009, 11:43 AM
i dont understand people saying its gross. its sweat. its not like they are peeing on the ball. maybe its because i grew up playing a ton of sports but sweat doesnt bother me at all. if ladies wanna stuff the ball in there undies who cares. its just gonna fly off the ball anyways as soon as it gets hit. when did people become so afraid of sweat?

sureshs
04-29-2009, 11:45 AM
As I recall, Sampras held only one.

Then that must be the key to Federer winning his 14th slam. Darn, I thought all along it was a racquet issue.

sureshs
04-29-2009, 11:45 AM
i dont understand people saying its gross. its sweat. its not like they are peeing on the ball. maybe its because i grew up playing a ton of sports but sweat doesnt bother me at all. if ladies wanna stuff the ball in there undies who cares. its just gonna fly off the ball anyways as soon as it gets hit. when did people become so afraid of sweat?

Well with the swine flu and all that you never know

maverick66
04-29-2009, 11:48 AM
they can treat that. so because of the swine flu you are not gonna play tennis at all. because person touches that ball with there hands anyway.

Topaz
04-29-2009, 12:12 PM

:shock:

I'm sorry, but those look absolutely hideous. And very, very long. And high waisted. I'm not wearing a girdle on the court.

A 4.5" inseam? Jeesh, that's almost down to my knees! Cindy...I hope the picture doesn't do them justice!

There are many, many skorts with compression shorts with the ball pocket, but again, they just aren't very handy.

sureshs
04-29-2009, 12:17 PM
I can see that there is a market for a tennis skirt with a deep outside pocket like men's shorts. Should start right at the top on the side and extend down as much as possible to maximize the space in a shorter length. It can't be as body-hugging as the tighter ones, but that is a tradeoff to live with.

Topaz
04-29-2009, 12:28 PM
I can see that there is a market for a tennis skirt with a deep outside pocket like men's shorts. Should start right at the top on the side and extend down as much as possible to maximize the space in a shorter length. It can't be as body-hugging as the tighter ones, but that is a tradeoff to live with.

One of my friends has a skirt with actual pockets...the only one I've ever seen like it, too.

Not sure why you think there is a market for it...I know I'm perfectly happy with shoving them in my compression shorts!

sureshs
04-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Michael C: I looked through all of our product catalogs and it looks like all of the tennis skirts have the internal ball pocket. It doesn't look like we have any with the external pocket. What I will do is pass a suggestion on to our product developers to let them know they should look at making a skirt with an external ball pocket.

sureshs
04-29-2009, 12:39 PM
This thread is hereby declared closed.

It has been proven that there is no convenient and good-looking skirt with outside pockets and so the ball needs to be shoved close to the private parts in various locations of the body in an unhygienic fashion.

- By order
Management

Cindysphinx
04-29-2009, 12:48 PM
This thread is hereby declared closed.

It has been proven that there is no convenient and good-looking skirt with outside pockets and so the ball needs to be shoved close to the private parts in various locations of the body in an unhygienic fashion.

- By order
Management

Hee!

Topaz, my tennis skirts are 14". Here it is in navy.

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/ProductImages/BWBSN.JPG

My bike shorts are 3" inseam, also by Bolle, with 11" outseam. So I have three inches to play with. Those other ones with the ball pocket would be Grandma Long -- not a good look.

I don't know about the skirt with pocket built in. It could work, I guess. The problem would be for those of us who do not like skorts and prefer the skirt and short to be separate pieces. Having the ball in the pocket of the skirt might lead to some downward gravitational pressure that could be uncomfortable. And you'd also have to promise me that the outside skirt pocket wouldn't add pounds.

Good luck with that!

rasajadad
04-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Then that must be the key to Federer winning his 14th slam. Darn, I thought all along it was a racquet issue.

It's obviously the fact that the weight of the extra ball has slowed him down.

JesseT
04-29-2009, 12:59 PM
If a woman can keep a ball in the cleavage, shouldn't guys be allowed to keep it in the front of their shorts under the undies and pull it out from there? There should be no discrimination.

you can be the first to try, mate. I'll stick with the pockets.

Rickson
04-29-2009, 02:16 PM
That sounds hot, suresh.

StringingIrvine
04-29-2009, 02:56 PM
when i'm serving a feel like its my obligation to have a second ball in my pocket that way i do not mess up my flow, or the opponents flow. If my opponent is serving i try not to keep the ball in my pocket as "i think i will run faster without a ball" but in reality i don't think it matters i still run 1mph regardless.

in response to spiderman:
I believe the term amazon's were a tribe of warrior women that cut off their right boob in order to use bows more effectively.

Rickson
04-29-2009, 02:59 PM
There's nothing wrong with keeping an extra ball or 2 inside the pockets. I know the male pros only keep 1 as they all discard that 3rd ball just to keep the pockets non bulky, but casual players need not do that.

cak
04-29-2009, 07:28 PM

Downside of this idea is the extra balls would then bounce against your thighs as you move for the ball. Yeah, try explaining those bruises to your boyfriend. I'd guess the market for that would be nil. (Right now Nike has a pleated skirt with front pockets, and looser compressions shorts that would not hold balls. I tried it on and thought WOW, this is a really bad design.) The big advantage to tucking balls into compression shorts is they stay, right there, no bouncing, no moving. Pretty hard to be distracted by them.

The one pocket design I've occasionally gone with is wearing my heavy cycling jerseys when playing in pants. (At night, in the cold.) The pockets on the back hold balls well, and the jerseys are tight enough the pockets don't bounce.

Bud
04-29-2009, 08:14 PM

I had no choice.

Did you sniff the ball, too? :shock:

Bud
04-29-2009, 08:17 PM

'Cause we don't want to look like female soccer players.

Seriously, the clothing is one of the best parts about being a female tennis player. Lots of choice, lots of age-appropriate things, lots of figure-flattering things.

Contrast this to golf, where they have actual rules about how short your skirts can be (my tennis skirts would get me thrown off of a golf course). Frumpity frump frump frump.

You know, I haven't bought a new tennis shirt in ages. Maybe I'll go buy one right now. . . .

Why not make skirts with a shallow pocket in one side (or both)?

maverick66
04-29-2009, 08:18 PM
after reading the posts from the ladies in this thread it seems they have two choices.

look good in a nice tennis skirt and show off the legs or look old and frumpy but have pockets. ill take the showing off the legs any day. i dont care where you tuck the ball. people need to get over there fear of sweat. if a cute girl started talking to you in the gym would say "eww your sweating" or would you be pumped a cute girl is talking to you?

10sguy
04-29-2009, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=Cindysphinx;3366857]There's also the little cup some women attack to their waistbands to hold the ball. I find these intriguing. I've never tried them.

Just a slightly serious post in an otherwise "interesting" thread:

Personally, I'm happy to see some women saying they don't like the "little ball clip." It's one of the reasons I tend to avoid playing mixed; seriously, when a woman (with one of those gadgets attached to the back of her waistband) turns and runs crosscourt, that damned thing - with an optic yellow ball inserted - is mighty distracting . . . perhaps bordering on (an unintentional)hindrance.

Dark_Angel85
04-30-2009, 12:11 AM
she put a ball in her cleavage? serious?

mind if you post pictures to clarify that technique? :P

ClubHoUno
04-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Was she hot?

The ball surely must have been hot for sure - and soaked in ti_tty sweat :oops:

Not sure I would want toplay with a ball like that one :-?

Rickson
04-30-2009, 04:15 AM
As long as it stays in place.

cak
04-30-2009, 06:34 AM
Personally, I'm happy to see some women saying they don't like the "little ball clip." It's one of the reasons I tend to avoid playing mixed; seriously, when a woman (with one of those gadgets attached to the back of her waistband) turns and runs crosscourt, that damned thing - with an optic yellow ball inserted - is mighty distracting . . . perhaps bordering on (an unintentional)hindrance.

You think that's distracting. There's an older lady in the area that puts the ball clip in the front. Right in the middle of her midsection. So everytime you look at her she had the optic yellow ball right in front of her. I tend not to share the third ball with her and her partner when playing against her.

JesseT
04-30-2009, 07:01 AM
You think that's distracting. There's an older lady in the area that puts the ball clip in the front. Right in the middle of her midsection. So everytime you look at her she had the optic yellow ball right in front of her. I tend not to share the third ball with her and her partner when playing against her.

You posted this story 10 minutes before I could. You don't play in N Atlanta, do you? Lady's got a rep round here

cak
04-30-2009, 11:01 AM
You posted this story 10 minutes before I could. You don't play in N Atlanta, do you? Lady's got a rep round here

Oh my goodness there are TWO of them!!!! (I play in NorCal.)

Spokewench
04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Sorry Ladies, I'm a little late to join this thread! When I first started playing tennis, I chose shorts with pockets. Then, I decided that skirts/skorts looked nice and since I kind of have a sports clothes fetish that I just had to have them. Well, I live in a rural area, so going to a tennis store is out; so I started looking online for skirts/skorts and was dismayed that most of them did not have pockets. I then ordered a couple of skorts that listed they had ball pockets. These pockets are like the ones Cindy posted. They are almost impossible to get the ball into! What a waste; so now I don't worry, I just shove the ball into the short on the outside hip area. And, to tell the truth, I do sweat quite a lot, but I don't sweat all that much in this area so I've never pulled out a wet ball! It's no big deal if you ask me. Now, putting the ball down my bra would be very uncomfortable I'm thinking; so I'm not going there.

spoke

Cindysphinx
04-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Sorry Ladies, I'm a little late to join this thread! When I first started playing tennis, I chose shorts with pockets. Then, I decided that skirts/skorts looked nice and since I kind of have a sports clothes fetish that I just had to have them. Well, I live in a rural area, so going to a tennis store is out; so I started looking online for skirts/skorts and was dismayed that most of them did not have pockets. I then ordered a couple of skorts that listed they had ball pockets. These pockets are like the ones Cindy posted. They are almost impossible to get the ball into! What a waste; so now I don't worry, I just shove the ball into the short on the outside hip area. And, to tell the truth, I do sweat quite a lot, but I don't sweat all that much in this area so I've never pulled out a wet ball! It's no big deal if you ask me. Now, putting the ball down my bra would be very uncomfortable I'm thinking; so I'm not going there.

spoke

So what did you finally settle into, Spoke? Skirt or skort?

I know Topaz is in the skort camp. I think I recall that CAK is also. Alice I don't know about yet.

Me, I'm skirt all the way, baby. I donated my couple of skorts to the Salvation Army a long time ago. Blech.

cak
04-30-2009, 02:09 PM
No, no, no, I'm definitely with you in the skirt camp. There are very few skorts that actually fit me. The problem with skorts is both the skirt and the short have to fit AT THE SAME TIME. Not likely. Though I have found low waisted skorts, such as the latest Nike smash pleat skort I can wear if I need the color for a team uniform.

Spokewench
05-01-2009, 02:41 PM
I have more skorts than skirts. Either way it works for me. I don't prefer one over the other. There seem to be more skorts to be found when you are shopping then skirts.

spoke

Cindysphinx
05-01-2009, 03:10 PM
No, no, no, I'm definitely with you in the skirt camp. There are very few skorts that actually fit me. The problem with skorts is both the skirt and the short have to fit AT THE SAME TIME. Not likely. Though I have found low waisted skorts, such as the latest Nike smash pleat skort I can wear if I need the color for a team uniform.

Not to mention how the skirt/bike short combo allows you to customize things a bit to accommodate weight swings.

Oh. I'm the only one who has that problem?

Never mind.

Topaz
05-01-2009, 05:09 PM
I tried last night Cindy...really I did. I wore a separate skirt/compression short combo.

Did not like it! There's just too much going on, plus two waistbands! Sheesh! ;)

Too bad, too, as the skirt was a really cute one that I just got off of the big auction site. It came with two other *skorts* that I think I will wear more than the skirt.

Though, I will admit, it was nice to be able to slip on my warmups and then slide the skirt totally off, and not have to have my warmups bunched up under the skirt because I can't pull them all the way up.

And now I've realize that this thread gone has quite possibly gone in the wrong direction!

shell
05-01-2009, 06:25 PM
I just put mine, up to two, in my Adidas Response SHORTS pocket. 95% of the time, league match or not, that is what I wear. Comfy, practical and pockets. Can't beat that. Otherwise, I don't care if it is skort or skirt. Either works in summer. Neither in winter. :)

Never, ever ever down the shirt.

Cindysphinx
05-01-2009, 08:28 PM
I tried last night Cindy...really I did. I wore a separate skirt/compression short combo.

Did not like it! There's just too much going on, plus two waistbands! Sheesh! ;)

Too bad, too, as the skirt was a really cute one that I just got off of the big auction site. It came with two other *skorts* that I think I will wear more than the skirt.

Though, I will admit, it was nice to be able to slip on my warmups and then slide the skirt totally off, and not have to have my warmups bunched up under the skirt because I can't pull them all the way up.

And now I've realize that this thread gone has quite possibly gone in the wrong direction!

Topaz, what size is this skirt you don't want? Maybe I can buy it off of you.

Yeah, that warm-up thing is a killer. I definitely like being able to remove the skirt completely as needed.

I think you'll get used to the double-waist band. I am totally unaware of that.

cak
05-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Yeah, with the separate skirt you can do the entire "surfer" change thing. Put on the skirt, take off the sweats, put on the compression shorts. (Reverse for when you get warm.)

No bunchy stuff under the sweats.

Topaz
05-02-2009, 04:32 AM
OH, I like the skirt Cindy...I just got it. Just wish it were a skort is all.

lovin'it
05-02-2009, 06:33 AM
no mention of the little bunny tail? (clear plastic thing to go on your waistband, kinda looks like a bunny tail if centered on your back?) it is completely sanitary (sweat-wise, at least my sweat) and works with this tangle of waistbands and the 'surfer' change that colder weather can create havoc with.

i do agree on the sweaty ball thing, especially with sneezing, coughing people. just gross...by the way, i am a germ-a-phob! hate shaking hands with men, and in the south at least, don't they know, a man should never offer his hand to a women to shake, the women should offer it first! and besides, i don't think men wash their hands after number one...just a thought...i wander...

J011yroger
05-02-2009, 07:02 AM
i don't think men wash their hands after number one...just a thought...i wander...

We men wash our hands once a week if they need it or not.

And shower on the 1st and 15th of every month, (although some only shower once in February since it is a short month.

J

lovin'it
05-02-2009, 07:25 AM
jollyroger, that is encouraging, more often than i thought!! good for you!:)

J011yroger
05-02-2009, 07:31 AM
jollyroger, that is encouraging, more often than i thought!! good for you!:)

Yea, well 99% of men give the other 1% a bad name.

J

sureshs
05-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Guess what? I was partnered with her again on Saturday afternoon for 1 set. I can confirm that the tight spandex-like dress which holds everything in place is made by FILA. More men have wised up to her unique "technique" by now. One of them went close to her, peered down, and said "Can I have the third ball?" She took it out and replied "Only the third ball is for you to play with - leave the other two alone." Laughter all around.

Not that I cared about all this, but I ended up causing myself to look like a fool later. I was about to get to a ball in the ad court where I usually play, and she decided to poach. Not a stretching out poach, but actually running right to left. I don't know what happened, but I slipped and fell, she got to the ball and we won the point. I cut myself below the knee and was sitting on the court with pain, and she apologizes for surprising me, lies down flat on the court, and faux-kisses the injured area. Immediately the opposite guy lies down on the court and shouts "I am in pain - I slipped - kiss me down here."

The news that then went around was that I was so focused on where she kept the third ball that it was the reason I didn't pay attention and slipped. I played one more set and got away from the place.

Rickson
05-10-2009, 10:15 AM
You should have actually kissed her.

sureshs
05-10-2009, 10:23 AM
You should have actually kissed her.

I was bleeding from the cut

moonbat
05-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Some of my older skirts have slit pockets on the sides. They work well in the winter when I have leggings on underneath with no pockets. When I wear skirts instead of skorts, I like In-Between Sportswear's short shorties--they're not as long and girdle-ly looking like the one shown earlier in the thread. They also make leggings with pockets that are great for winter wear. I have several skorts that have pockets in the compression shorts, but I agree that many of them are difficult to tuck the ball into, so I usually don't use them.

maverick66
05-10-2009, 09:26 PM
I was bleeding from the cut

chicks dig scars.