PDA

View Full Version : Busted Racket...Still Playing?

ttbrowne
04-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Recently in a USTA singles match, our guy had won the first set and was a game away from taking the 2nd set & match. His opponent got angry (at himself) and smashed his racket. Just cracked the frame. He continued playing and lost the first point. Then he smashed his racket (same one) again. This time it did that crazy bent thing at the top. We all thought he'd go get another out of his bag, but he didn't! He stepped back and told our guy to serve. Our guy just smiled, shrugged and served. The opponent actually returned the serve! But it was put away. Well, our guy won the set and match, but it started me wondering...can you do that? Play with a busted up racket with crap hanging off of it?
It was something I'll never forget.

LuckyR
04-28-2009, 06:33 AM
Recently in a USTA singles match, our guy had won the first set and was a game away from taking the 2nd set & match. His opponent got angry (at himself) and smashed his racket. Just cracked the frame. He continued playing and lost the first point. Then he smashed his racket (same one) again. This time it did that crazy bent thing at the top. We all thought he'd go get another out of his bag, but he didn't! He stepped back and told our guy to serve. Our guy just smiled, shrugged and served. The opponent actually returned the serve! But it was put away. Well, our guy won the set and match, but it started me wondering...can you do that? Play with a busted up racket with crap hanging off of it?
It was something I'll never forget.

I am not aware of a specific rule. But my guess is that technically the raquet would be illegal under the spaghetti string rule, that is because the head is broken the ball can interact with the racquet multiple time per shot or the double hit rule.

ttbrowne
04-28-2009, 06:47 AM
Luck,
Thanks! It was the strangest thing I'd ever seen in a sanctioned match.

LuckyR
04-28-2009, 06:48 AM
Luck,
Thanks! It was the strangest thing I'd ever seen in a sanctioned match.

Can't say that I have witnessed it myself.

eagle
04-28-2009, 06:58 AM
And of course the racquet apologized for his bad play which caused the player to lose his temper right?

So, long as the racquet realizes it was his fault then it's all good. :)

r,
eagle

woodrow1029
04-28-2009, 08:06 AM
In professional tennis, you are not allowed to play with a racket with broken strings. In all amateur tennis, you are allowed to play with broken strings.

As far as the double hit rule goes, if you inadvertently hit the ball twice in the same swing motion, it is legal.

There is no rule that says you can't play with a racket with a broken frame.