PDA

View Full Version : Nadal Setup

one2play
04-28-2009, 02:23 PM
First of all I'm not some crazy Nadal fan, I like him but I also like many other players! Now, I have 2 apdc with two overgrip (pacific x-tack) instead custom grip! I put 9g of lead tape under the bumper (4.5 on each side near the tip of a bumper), 3g in the handle and 3g around the handle (under overgrips) near but cap! Racket weight: 335g, balance: 33.3, string: pht(25/24kg). For me it feels great, not heavy, not light, very maneuverable, great for spin and everything!! I'm wondering if anybody tried this setup (or something similar) on apdc (or some other racket) and opinions??!

GPB
04-28-2009, 02:25 PM
sounds like a good setup. and what matters more than if it's what nadal plays with, is that YOU like it too!

Dan007
04-28-2009, 04:14 PM
sounds like a good setup. and what matters more than if it's what nadal plays with, is that YOU like it too!

good answer

obnoxious2
04-28-2009, 05:27 PM
His setup swings around 350 and only 4 pts HL if i remember correctly.

one2play
04-29-2009, 05:28 AM

I try it because I was curious and it suits me well! I respect pro setups and believe that they tried a lot different weights, balances... to get something that is best for THEM!! Theirs setups can be good or bad for me (or anybody else), but in this case "Nadal setup" works for me! Just wanted to share this with others...

Automatix
04-29-2009, 05:35 AM
You know that Nadal actually plays with Babolat Duralast not PHT right?

one2play
04-29-2009, 10:02 AM
You know that Nadal actually plays with Babolat Duralast not PHT right?

Yes, and that he play with aeropro drive without cortex

hsv91
05-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Hallo,

is it right, that Nadal plays the following setup?

Racquet: Babolat Aero Pro Drive (16x19)
Grip Size: L2
String: Pro Hurricane Tour 1,30mm
String Tension: 55lbs/25kp
Overgrip: Babolat VS, weiß
Dampener: Babolat Custom Damp (black/yellow)

Thanks!

NickC
05-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Hallo,

Thanks!

No, it's not right. His grip size is a bit different and he doesn't use PHT.

BobFL
05-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Hallo,

Thanks!

His strings are not available on the market...

FedererForehand
05-11-2009, 11:32 AM
His strings are not available on the market...

At least in the USA they aren't available. I've heard rumblings that they are available in Europe.

Danstevens
05-11-2009, 11:37 AM
At least in the USA they aren't available. I've heard rumblings that they are available in Europe.

Supposedly, they are Babolat Duralast just labelled as PHT. I believe that if you want to try it, there are some people on the Bay that sell Duralast. I believe he uses the 15L gauge.

Cup8489
05-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Supposedly, they are Babolat Duralast just labelled as PHT. I believe that if you want to try it, there are some people on the Bay that sell Duralast. I believe he uses the 15L gauge.

you're correct, and he has it installed at 55 lbs, mains and crosses.

anotherbabolatkid
05-11-2009, 07:21 PM
i don't have any evidence that the yellow string nadal uses is duralast, apart from being yellow... but Duralast is available in Brazil... i played with it for awhile... it's a cheaper poly... somewhat less powerful than pht...

0d1n
05-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Duralast is just an "ordinary" poly. It plays well for a short amount of time and then loses tension and feels like crap.
There are much better options in the poly world for the "non Nadal as$ kissers".

one2play
05-12-2009, 08:01 AM
^^
Yeah, yeah, if you don't have advice, question or something similar it's better for you and us that you don't write anything!!

0d1n
05-12-2009, 11:27 AM
^^
Yeah, yeah, if you don't have advice, question or something similar it's better for you and us that you don't write anything!!

If you actually read my post ... you will see that there's plenty of advice in there.
I'm advising people not to buy Duralast simply because it's unavailable in the US and is used by Nadal, because they will be disappointed. It plays decently for a very short time and then dies. There are much better poly strings at the same price or cheaper.
How did you manage to "not notice" the advice/opinion/whatever else??
Did you only read the last sentence ???
Oh ... I played Duralast in the AeroPro Drive "non cortex"....for the "full Nadal" experience...but my friend's racket was "stock" and not weighted in any way.

one2play
05-12-2009, 01:51 PM
If you actually read my post ... you will see that there's plenty of advice in there.
I'm advising people not to buy Duralast simply because it's unavailable in the US and is used by Nadal, because they will be disappointed. It plays decently for a very short time and then dies. There are much better poly strings at the same price or cheaper.
Oh ... I played Duralast in the AeroPro Drive "non cortex"....for the "full Nadal" experience...but my friend's racket was "stock" and not weighted in any way.

I just don't like any kind of conflict, terms like as$ kissers! I really like apdc and this setup makes it even better(for me)! I wish that I had opportunity to buy aero storm tour because the stock spec are great! But it wasn't on the market. And when somebody ask something(even stupid question), if you want answer just don't offend anybody!! BTW your second answer is much better!!!

imalil2gangsta4u
05-12-2009, 03:22 PM
No, it's not right. His grip size is a bit different and he doesn't use PHT.

Correct
10char

Beastforearm
05-12-2009, 10:26 PM

I just don't like any kind of conflict, terms like as$ kissers! I really like apdc and this setup makes it even better(for me)! I wish that I had opportunity to buy aero storm tour because the stock spec are great! But it wasn't on the market. And when somebody ask something(even stupid question), if you want answer just don't offend anybody!! BTW your second answer is much better!!!

0d1n is just talking about the people who even wants to use Nadal's actual string without obvious advantage just because Nadal uses it.
IMO, he is not quite offended.

Beastforearm
05-12-2009, 10:38 PM
First of all I'm not some crazy Nadal fan, I like him but I also like many other players! Now, I have 2 apdc with two overgrip (pacific x-tack) instead custom grip! I put 9g of lead tape under the bumper (4.5 on each side near the tip of a bumper), 3g in the handle and 3g around the handle (under overgrips) near but cap! Racket weight: 335g, balance: 33.3, string: pht(25/24kg). For me it feels great, not heavy, not light, very maneuverable, great for spin and everything!! I'm wondering if anybody tried this setup (or something similar) on apdc (or some other racket) and opinions??!

I should say that I use very similar setup.
My APDCs are customized very close to Nadal's spec for 2007 Pacific Life Open that is provided by Greg Raven in High Desert Tennis.
I simply added 9.5 grams of lead tape under the bumperguard and put 2.5 grams under the grip one inch up from the butt cap.

Pro racquet specs:
http://www.hdtennis.com/grs/pro_racquet_specs/200703nadal_babolat.html

tennisnut16
05-15-2009, 05:49 PM
His setup swings around 350 and only 4 pts HL if i remember correctly.

According to Tennis Magazine, Nadal has a head heavy racquet...
I find this quite interesting. Everyone thinks they are getting the Nadal racquet (AeroPro Drive Cortex, which is 5 pts HL) but, he doesn't use cortex and his racquet isn't HL. It is all marketing.

one2play
05-17-2009, 04:57 AM
According to Tennis Magazine, Nadal has a head heavy racquet...
I find this quite interesting. Everyone thinks they are getting the Nadal racquet (AeroPro Drive Cortex, which is 5 pts HL) but, he doesn't use cortex and his racquet isn't HL. It is all marketing.

Are you sure? Head heavy?

Miami Tiburon
05-17-2009, 07:02 AM
it states in the article Tennis magazine June issue that he leads up racquet at 10 and 2 o'clock making it head heavy.Grip size is 4 1/4

drgreenthumb
05-17-2009, 10:57 AM
when i was at the indian wells tournament and saw him practice almost everyday, i could clearly see his racket, shoes and even booger with my 600mm lens. but back to the lead tap, i didnt see any at that time and he had like 5-6 rackets that he was deciding which one to practice with. but the racket clearly was NOT cortex version.

sometimes, the press are just full of bs.

one2play
05-17-2009, 01:32 PM
it states in the article Tennis magazine June issue that he leads up racquet at 10 and 2 o'clock making it head heavy.Grip size is 4 1/4

Custom apd is 5pts head lite, and I don't believe that adding 9-10g at 10 and 2 makes it head heavy because he probably puts 3-4 around or in the handle! Head heavy racquets are not so good for spinning! Like someone said press are sometimes full of bs... However that Greg's "Nadal setup" is really good!

Miami Tiburon
05-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Custom apd is 5pts head lite, and I don't believe that adding 9-10g at 10 and 2 makes it head heavy because he probably puts 3-4 around or in the handle! Head heavy racquets are not so good for spinning! Like someone said press are sometimes full of bs... However that Greg's "Nadal setup" is really good!
Iam not claimimg this to be correct Iam just stating what is written in this months issue of Tennis magazine.

one2play
05-18-2009, 05:33 AM
Iam not claimimg this to be correct Iam just stating what is written in this months issue of Tennis magazine.

I know, you just wrote what you read

Sublime
05-18-2009, 06:30 AM
when i was at the indian wells tournament and saw him practice almost everyday, i could clearly see his racket, shoes and even booger with my 600mm lens. but back to the lead tap, i didnt see any at that time and he had like 5-6 rackets that he was deciding which one to practice with. but the racket clearly was NOT cortex version.

sometimes, the press are just full of bs.

The lead tape would be under the bumpers, right? It wouldn't be visible.

one2play
06-18-2009, 07:04 AM
...but there is a problem-- After a few weeks playing with this setup you
probably won't feel your arm...and shoulder...I removed lead tape from the top of the racquet and put 6g in the handle! Hopefully this will be better for my arm...and shoulder...