PDA

View Full Version : Stroke comparison-Connors-Nadal

pc1
04-28-2009, 03:41 PM
I suppose I was inspired a bit by Agassiman's thread on a comparison of Connors' serve and Agassi's serve and Thalivest post 5 in that thread. I figured I'd expand it to a comparison of strokes between Jimmy Connors and the current number one player Rafa Nadal. The comparison will assume both players are at their peak level. Connors would be around 1974 to 1976 or so and Rafa would be what he is now. Of course Rafa may get even better in the future.

You should compare

serve
forehand
backhand
volley
return of serve
movement
mental game
stamina
defensive game

There is no right or wrong answer. I'm just curious about the opinions and analysis here. Who would be the overall winner here? This is all very subjective.

Moose Malloy
04-28-2009, 03:55 PM
this was an article that was posted on this a while back:

http://www.411mania.com/sports/other_sports/57468/Across-the-Net-7.23.07:-Connors-vs.-Nadal--/

pc1
04-28-2009, 03:57 PM
this was an article that was posted on this a while back:

http://www.411mania.com/sports/other_sports/57468/Across-the-Net-7.23.07:-Connors-vs.-Nadal--/

Odd, I pick these two because I felt they could be more easily compared than Sampras and Connors or Sampras and Nadal. I didn't know about that article. Thanks Moose but it really doesn't affect the thread. Just curious about opinions. Anyway Rafa's a better player now than in 2007.

jimbo333
04-28-2009, 04:56 PM
If you gave them both a T2000, I'd definitely say Connors would be better overall:)

Otherwise I'd say Nadal would be ahead on all criteria except:-

Volley
Return of serve
Mental Game
Stamina

flying24
04-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Serve- Nadal
Return of Serve- Connors
Forehand- Nadal by huge margin
Backhand- Connors on hard courts, Nadal on clay, not sure on grass
Movement- Nadal
Defensive Game- Nadal
Mental Game- Nadal, despite that both were amazing here
Stamina- Nadal
Volley- Connors by alot

jimbo333
04-28-2009, 05:16 PM
I can't really disagree much with that:)

I think though if playing in their 30's rather than at their peak, Connors would have the better Stamina, in fact Connors would be better on all counts then, as Nadal will have retired!!!

flying24
04-28-2009, 06:30 PM
I can't really disagree much with that:)

I think though if playing in their 30's rather than at their peak, Connors would have the better Stamina, in fact Connors would be better on all counts then, as Nadal will have retired!!!

I agree with that. Nadal's stamina will not be nearly as lasting as Connors. He will start losing stamina as early as just after turning 24 most likely. He will still win alot probably around that point, but his stamina will drop off quite a bit from what it is now. In addition he will start losing speed around then, and his mental game will suffer some when these things start to suffer. He will not be even playing tennis in his 30s I think, never mind winning slams and being in slam finals in his 30s like Connors.

Deuce
04-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Nadal is better at the net than you think he is.
He has better hands than most.
He just doesn't often have the opportunity to demonstrate this in today's game.

Unfortunately, we're not likely to see that aspect of his game very much, as, if the net game ever does return to tennis, it'll likely be after Nadal retires.

kanjii
04-30-2009, 06:48 AM
Both are totally different players. I see Connors' strokes are that of a perfect tennis instructor on the video or illustrated in books and magazines, knees bent footwork in place, racquet back, swing through, no big loops....while Nadal is almost like self taught...a bit rough, but it works for him...I'm a fan of the big looping topspin forehands :)

jimbo333
04-30-2009, 09:22 AM
They aren't completely different players, but I know what you mean. Their forehands are very different. I'd love to see Nadal trying to hit those horrible big looping forehands with a T2000:)

pc1
04-30-2009, 10:06 AM
They aren't completely different players, but I know what you mean. Their forehands are very different. I'd love to see Nadal trying to hit those horrible big looping forehands with a T2000:)

That T2000 was a horrible racket to control. I don't how Connors did it.

Yes it would be very funny to see Nadal hit with a T2000. Some shots may be mishit into the stand.

Connors forehand was super flat while Nadal had ultra topspin on it but they both were great lefty baseliners.