PDA

View Full Version : The Borg Serve

theagassiman
04-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Very underrated powerful serve, as everyone has no doubt said a thousand times.

Does anyone know:
1. Average speed?
2. Career Aces count?
3. Career First Serve percentage?
4. Fastest Speed?
5. Platform stance or Pinpoint stance?

I'm not sure if all of these questions can be answered, as I don't think they invented statistics for these questions until a certain point in time, but I'm hoping....

timnz
04-29-2009, 03:57 AM
Very underrated powerful serve, as everyone has no doubt said a thousand times.

Does anyone know:
1. Average speed?
2. Career Aces count?
3. Career First Serve percentage?
4. Fastest Speed?
5. Platform stance or Pinpoint stance?

I'm not sure if all of these questions can be answered, as I don't think they invented statistics for these questions until a certain point in time, but I'm hoping....

I do know his serve was clocked at 125mph at the US Open in 1981. My view is that the speed camera clocked about 8 miles an hour slower than now so that equates to a serve in the mid 130's. (I think that because Sampras didn't break 130mph until around the Mid-90's). Some guys today who clock over 130mph don't appear to have anywhere as powerful a serve as Sampras.

The other thing I remember about Borg's serve is his ability to seemingly at will always hit an ace when he was in trouble on his serve. He always seemed to do it up the middle. It was uncanny how many times I saw him do that. I noticed something subtly different in the motion of the serve when he was going for aces down the middle.

Rabbit
04-29-2009, 05:45 AM
^Amazing...as I read your reply, my mind was replaying Borg's aces....99% of what I remember seeing Borg hit ace-wise both deuce and ad court were up the T.

pc1
04-29-2009, 06:57 AM
Borg was one of the best ever at hitting a service winner or ace on a big point. He's up there with Sampras and Pancho Gonzalez on pressure points when serving.

theagassiman
04-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Borg was one of the best ever at hitting a service winner or ace on a big point. He's up there with Sampras and Pancho Gonzalez on pressure points when serving.

Dead right, but unlike Sampras or Gonzalez, Borg was not as acclaimed for this talent as Sampras or Gonzalez.

Mick
04-30-2009, 12:59 AM
i watched a number of his matches and found that Borg did not bend his knees very much (when serving) compared to today's top players.

urban
04-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Gene Scott once wrote, Borg's serve was easy and practical - like a Swiss knife. Not overwhelming or dramatic, but very useful. Over some time of his career his second serve was seen as a weakness. In Scott's book McEnroe believes, it was still a weakness around 1980, although Borg had beefed up his serve by 1976.

vsbabolat
04-30-2009, 08:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jZmFMUGTTU&feature=related